Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Top 5 Role Playing Games

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 20 hours, 15 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 14:59 (GMT -5)

Having recently stumbled upon Fallout and Fallout II, I was wondering what others I missed.

Please list your top 5 role playing computer games, and 5 Honorable mentions. Give us little snippets about what makes them so good in your impression, and why they are special to you.

Please do not post until you can put together a list of 5 top games and 5 honorable mentions (feel free to edit your posts as your tastes change, though)

Do not post comments about other peoples top 5's. This thread is for lists only. I have created the following thread for comments:

Comments on Top 5

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/20/2006 at 14:56 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 20 hours, 15 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 15:29 (GMT -5)

My top 5:
5) ADOM
* Sorry, it is only #5
* A wonderful story and plot, and one of the best immersive fantasy worlds out their.
* Incredible replay value.

4) Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
* The most in depth and detailed story in the series up to that point (I have not had the chance to play 7, 8 or 9)
* You should play the first four (which are very enjoyable in their own right) to truly appreciate the impact of the story.

3) Baldur's Gate I
* Wonderful story line. Very eerie. It has a great exposition of the plot. and is rather non-linear.
* The "Tales of the Sword Coast" expansion pack is fun, and adds nice little vignette's, but is not necessary.

2) Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn
* Unparalleled in sheer size and magnitude. The Baldur's Gate II universe is the largest and most immersive I ever encountered.
* Although there is an overall story to follow, BG II is very non-linear until the end, and allows an incredible range of paths/decisions to follow.
* Best story line I have seen. Epic and Apocalyptic in scope.
* The Throne of Baal expansion pack is nice, and brings the story to a climactic finish, but it is not necessary. It is rather linear.

1) Planescape Torment
* Without peer in terms of character development and growth.
* In depth story that is often very moving and personal.
* The story is so well done that you think it is non-linear until the end when you realize how you have been surreptitiously guided to this great conclusion.
* A stunning mystery which leaves just enough untold.

My Honorable Mentions:
- Diablo I & II
* The original in creepy crawly atmosphere.
* Wonderfuil atmosphere, and Epic in story and power.
* Great enticements to find new treasures and power items.
* Unfortunately, tends to get tedious hack and slash by the end.

- Ackeron: Dark Sun (For the Palm Pilot)
* Great story, and the best battle interface I have seen on the Palm.
* It is amazing what people can come up with when the limitations of the medium force them to go for inner quality, rather than splahy effects.

- Nethack
* I have to give a shout out to the game that originally hooked me to rogue-likes
* Not that much of a story, but what it lacks in depth, it makes up for in breadth (Homelands, side dungeons, quests, etc.)

- Fallout I and II
* Great story and idea. The only successful Science Fiction role-playing comuter games I have encountered.
* Unfortunately, their plot exposition could be better. Incredible plot developments and twists or revealed so blandly that they do not make the impact they deserve.

- Max Payne I
* Great and gritty. I constantly wanted to find out what the next chapter held in store for me.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/19/2006 at 16:36 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6128 days, 6 hours, 31 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 17:10 (GMT -5)

#5 Balders gate 1, even though it bugged out just before i got into the final city, so much gameplay wasted that i never bothered redoing it

#4 [edit] Castle of the Wind part 1 and 2, (freedownload somewhere) one of the first rpgs ive played, coolest feature is nameing your items, and wands of clone monster

#3 Fable, for xbox> not as good as i hoped, but still very good with the Your deeds shape your Lokk feature (terrorizing towns with an aura of evil, horns and a howler tattoo is very satisfying)

#2 ADOM! you know all about it, the only reason that its number two is because....

#1 MORROWIND!!! ive only played on the xbox, but its HUGE! and theres so much to do and you can custom spells and items and potions and its like superadom with very nice graphics and sound :)

Honorable mentions

#1 Ivan, an ascii game with tile graphics- you can beat people with your own severed arm...

#2 Planescape torment- though not enough customability for my preferences

#3 Icewinddale 2- much better than the first, runs off the Baldursgate engine

#4 Diablo- an oldy but a goody

#5 [edit] Heros of Might and magic> the Mandate of Heaven- another of the first games i played- pretty big world to travel, lots of srtifacts and coolness to find
*<< Words go here >>*

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/22/2006 at 15:47 (GMT -5) by *Chaos Muffin*]
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6630 days, 16 hours, 38 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 19:02 (GMT -5)

My Top 5:

5) Planscape
Wicked and twisted, the dream inside a dream. This is the most creative game of the genre I've played, ever.

4) Baldur's Gate 2
A definite classic with lots and lots of connections. Too bad that it's relatively linear.

3) Fallout 2
The best of a modern RPG. The game has many, many routes, allowing you to actually roleplay however you wish.

2) Final Fantasy VII
This one have every tricks in the book to keep you excited to the end.

1) Final Fantasy Tactics
K, I'm a turn based fan so... This game is the best mix of rpg and tactics. I just love ereything from the story to the class system and mugical score.

Honourable Mention:

1) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Sequel of my favourite game, it has the class balanced out a little bit, but sucks otherwise.
2) ADOM
Nothing to add here
3) Gearhead
Think fallout with Gundam
4) Fire Emblem Series
See FFT. It's much more on tatics but the narration is good enough. Lame story + good game play = good game to me :) And allowing to build up relation between character is nice, like if I think the assassin and the priest look nice together, than I can try and improve their relation with lotta chatting.
5) Vampire, the Masquerade
Nice effort in rewriting the D&D system.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/19/2006 at 19:17 (GMT -5) by tongHoAnh]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 2 hours, 35 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 at 07:28 (GMT -5)

Without a hierarchy:

Grandia II
Love the music, love the characters, love the fighting system. Might be just a little too easy, though.

ADOM
We all know the virtues and vices of this game. ;)

Morrowind
I must admit I've never gotten THAT far playing it, but it IS an enormous game.

Currently I can't think of games I know that deserve to be mentioned together with these...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Torte
Registered user
Hooray

Last page view:

6661 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 at 09:46 (GMT -5)

ADOM apart...

1) Wizardry 8
The game rocks

2) Fallout 1 & 2
Yeah yeah =P

3) Planescape Torment
Mmmhmmm

4 and 5) ??
Noooo idea.

EDIT: This is of course just counting western style RPGs, if I were to count all RPGs, Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 would dominate the list.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/20/2006 at 09:49 (GMT -5) by Torte]
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4510 days, 15 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 10:20 (GMT -5)

Top 5 in no particular order:
- Rogue: because it's the one from where all started
- Eye of the Beholder saga (I, II and III): for making me spend tons of sleepless nights during college with my friends
- ADOM: for being the best turn-based roguelike of all
- PernMangband 3.1.4: for being the most addictive multiplayer roguelike I ever played
- Land of Darkness: simply because I wrote it!

Honorable mentions go to:
- Diablo II: nice way to waste time when you got nothing else to do
- Populous: because it's so fun to role-play a god!
- Nox: an original game
- Flame and steel: for being the first RPG I ever played back in 1982
- Countdown: for being the most weird RPG ever written (BTW someone explain how's your suppose to finish that...)

I should add a third category... WORST RPG ever! And the winner is... Pool of Radiance - for being the most stupid game ever written (imagine a RPG where for EVERY step you make you need to spend half an hour doing endless battles against crappy monsters)
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: