Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Character Roleplay

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
pernicion
Registered user
High Pernicion

Last page view:

6230 days, 9 hours, 3 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 17:49 (GMT -5)

Just curious, how many people consider that they are actually "roleplaying" their ADOM characters?

Do you ever consider your charcter's story, stats etc and decide how they will generally act?
(For example, when I play a barbarian, I don't open doors until high level, and even then I still prefer to kick 'em. Lot's of crushed skulls and stuff. Pretty dumb really, but that's how I usually play low Intelligence barbarians.)

Do you take actions that the character would take, whilst you know that it may not be the smartest move?

Or do you consistently play characters to maximise your chance of winning?

The kobold cringes in pain

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/19/2006 at 21:12 (GMT -5) by pernicion]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4246 days, 16 hours, 2 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 18:45 (GMT -5)

I concentrate soley on maximising my chance of winning, I must admit. There's no way my characters would normally spend so long harvesting herbs, or sacrificing enemies, or "very aggressively" standing in the middle of a spider factory with two shields, or making themselves sick and then casting Cure Light Wounds a thousand times, or constantly pickpocketing and gravedigging and then whipping myself to be a good boy. I use a lot of admittedly quite dirty and scummy (and boring) tactics to maximise stats etc, and roleplay is the last thing on my mind... Which is the sadder of the two I honestly don't know ;)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6131 days, 20 hours, 40 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 at 03:48 (GMT -5)

I roleplay around 30% of my characters- My next charcter might be a very evil bastard, not doing any lawful quests at all, and backstabbing any one he can get away with.... havent done an Ultimate chaos god ending yet...
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5796 days, 7 hours, 32 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 08:24 (GMT -5)

Always
at least tryin'=)

All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4513 days, 14 hours, 24 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

Sometimes I try roleplaying my chars. Like playing DE necro staying all the way C- and doing all the chaotic quests.
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3763 days, 46 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 18:15 (GMT -5)

Just whenever I feel like it. Most of the time, ADOM is a strategic challenge to me; but I'm not all that fond of the really "dirty and scummy" tactics, either. So I'm somewhere in the middle.

One "RP" thing I do is, after I complete the courage quest and no longer need to remember my first kill, to name my character after someone from mythology or fantasy, determined by how the game has been going so far.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 16 hours, 44 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

If that counts as roleplaying, *I* always forget my first kill.

I also have never attempted to finish an ultra ending.

Maybe those two are connected?
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
pernicion
Registered user
High Pernicion

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 at 19:21 (GMT -5)

I think that I've remembered my first kill once or twice.

If your charcter has good mental attributes that's probably bad role playing. =)

I once entertained going for an ultra ending, but didn't bother.

I would have been cheating if I did. Read all about on Andy William's guide book.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4963 days, 2 hours, 25 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 at 14:47 (GMT -5)

The question is - can it be done without reading the guide?
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
pernicion
Registered user
High Pernicion

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 at 16:02 (GMT -5)

Interesting question.

In the year 2000, I was living in Northern New South Wales, in Australia, and I discovered a bunch of gamers (I met one of them) whom I turned on to ADOM.

Within one month, apparently, they had all "won" the game and were no longer interested in playing.

The fellow went into no detail about his win. I am fairly sure that they all would have save scummed, but I know that they didn't use Andy William's guide.

(I did try to explain that winning once wouldn't reveal all of the game, but they were more interested in Warhammer and one of those paper RPG's like Werewolf or whatever)

So, I'd say yes. As long as you save scum like a Balor, I mean, Demon.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5772 days, 21 hours, 37 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 at 16:49 (GMT -5)

I think Sargoth may be asking whether it's possible for an unspoiled player to achieve an ultra ending. Normal ending seems plausible, especially as Khelavaster tells you how to save the world. Ultra ending seems much harder, with all the changing of alignment and the requirements for passing through the Chaos Gate. OTOH, the first person ever to achieve an ultra ending must have done it without spoilers.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4246 days, 16 hours, 2 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 at 17:38 (GMT -5)

I believe the Oracle gives some clues on how the requirements to pass through the Chaos gate. Oringinally Ultra endings weren't available, but normal Chaos God endings were, and that doesn't require alignment changes and is generally easy enough to achieve. So there is a sort of progression in learning there... What really would be difficult to know is the different items needed, the people you need to speak to, and the level requirements to get. Some of these requirements were found through analysing the executable, though I remember the first person to manage to get the trident ligitimately didn't rely on this. Ultra endings weren't found out until later. It was really through information sharing (not the Guidebook, but general chatting online between players) that led to the first achievements of that, and I think anyone playing on their own without spoilers would have had great difficulty in discovering everything. Maybe some things, but not everything.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1892 days, 11 hours, 35 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 at 00:57 (GMT -5)

I always roleplay my characters.

When I play barbs I usually stick to natural armours (leather, hide, dragon scale {somewhat natural})

When I play druids I go for the standard D&D restrictions for fun (no metal armour, restricted weapons) and try to embrace nature :)

with wiz and other spell casters i try to stick to robes, staves and the like.

I pretty much roleplay every one of my characters, however i am a one-character-at-a-time sort of player.

just my thoughts
Portrait
pernicion
Registered user
High Pernicion

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 at 20:23 (GMT -5)

...and it does make it hard to finish the game, doesn't it.

I played for years before I finally completed a game of version 1.0.0... although I did exploit* a bug in that version to finish.

*Unknowingly at the time. Only found out when I got to the same point in version 1.1.1 and discovered that it wasn't so easy.

Luckily, for me, finishing the game isn't my goal. I just love playing.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: