Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Balor familiar

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5796 days, 8 hours, 27 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

Once upon a time i've generated a balor familiar in DH using as might be imagined SoFS. He was doing quite well but also teleported around a lot and sometimes i had to search the whole level for this bastard. After some time passed the son of a bitch became hostile WITH NO FUCKING REASON.
Thanx god this happened when i was bypassing my altar so i sacced him immediately and got approx 8000 xp (!)
Summoned the bitch again with some other char and he again became hostile after some time passed.
So this seems 2 be stable.

My only question is WHY
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4246 days, 16 hours, 57 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 09:19 (GMT -5)

It happens with all familiars and tamed animals, as far as I know, which is one good reason to never use them. If you let them kill everything for you then they become way more experienced than you and are far harder to kill when they eventually decide to stop being your friend. You were lucky you had an altar nearby! It's not so bad with animals if you have the music skill, since you can just retame them again.

I never bother with pets myself - always stealing my damned exp and then taking ages to heal, worthless creatures...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3124 days, 12 hours, 26 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 09:20 (GMT -5)

You need to be a bard to stop this from happening, only bards get trustworthy pets.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4513 days, 15 hours, 19 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 09:52 (GMT -5)

Pets almost always become hostile when they get out of sight. So never trust anything that can teleport or pass walls.
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 17 hours, 39 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 10:52 (GMT -5)

I once got a moloch as a companion, and took an effort to lose him in the wilderness. Too risky.

For non-bards, SoFS should really be kept for D:50.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
poorchava
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 at 16:47 (GMT -5)

once i have summoned an Emperor Lich at DH:2, i brought him to ToEF and everything was going ok until i got to the last level, where the flames are hotter, and they were damaging the EL. After some time passed he went into the blind rage and pwned me ;(.

Well, the Murphy's Laws (a.k.a. 'the fate is malicous') says, that your familiar will always turn against you in the most crucial moment :[
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4963 days, 3 hours, 20 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 at 17:40 (GMT -5)

Given a familiar of sufficient strength, its turning on you will be a crucual moment in itself...
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3763 days, 1 hour, 41 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 at 23:47 (GMT -5)

Indeed.

Familiars are most useful for killing cats.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5984 days, 13 hours, 25 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 11:14 (GMT -5)

This brings me to a question - slightly OT but I don't feel like starting a new thread - : what do you use your companions for ? Kiling cats, as mentioned Iridia, is also IMHO the main use. What else ?

Myself, I try to wipe the SMC with them in order to get the booty nice and easy, but after that, I'm always a little bugged and slowed by my companions. They become more of a burden than a boon. Not mentionning that I dispise having to split XPs with them.

Note that, when playing a farmer, the large dog always end up dead in the SMC and me fleeing for my survival. Do I lack skill or what :-) ?
All your base are belong to us.
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6131 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 22:14 (GMT -5)

Just recently i tried using a Familiar for killing gremlinns, that worked out well, but i ended up l+ because i had to keep healing him, then had to go chaotic for the trinity bits, then to lawfull to calm the white unicorn down, than went chaotic for killing him, and now am trying to get back to l+ by healing my beggar compainion in the ToEF, but using the familiar in the GremlinPit was working well because they werent getting uberstrong.
*<< Words go here >>*
Peprik
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 at 12:13 (GMT -5)

With mean of invisibility and Light spell gremlins are no probs even when uberexperienced (it just takes more Light casting).
There are also great for getting alignment towards L by healing them (1x Light spell -> lotsa opportunities to cast Cure Light wounds=fast alignment shift even after lev.40 (isnt this a bug?))
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5610 days, 15 hours, 29 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 at 01:24 (GMT -5)

I've played bards lately, and I use companions for two reasons:

1. Get a greater claw bug as a body guard in the SMC, to prevent me from leveling up to 6 and losing Kranach (and having harder monsters). Don't let the bug kill for you anywhere else.

2. To cause the death of cats. Usually, I tame the cat and tell it to attack something stronger than itself. Manipulative and evil, yet the cat lord is fine with it.

Aside from that, companions aren't practical, unless you're doing some sort of low experience challenge game. A companion after level 50 might be fun if you're a bard, you don't need more experience, but this will still prevent you from getting some weapon marks.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 at 05:10 (GMT -5)

Has anyone noticed that the uber-jackel bug does not occur wen you let a companion kill the monsters, it can be really handy if you have a companion with you and let it kill all jackals and spiders for you. Also in the blue dragon caves you could let a companion kill the dragons and pick up the treasures yourself.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5610 days, 15 hours, 29 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 at 16:52 (GMT -5)

Good thinking, ej. A bard would make a good archmage, then. Have a companion kill blue dragons for you, take the wands to train your PP, and never worry about the extremely experienced ancient blue dragons.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: