Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Help Please

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

lordbubyan
Registered user

Last page view:

6604 days, 12 hours, 12 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 at 16:07 (GMT -5)

Hi, i´m newbie here, and i started with a grey elven wizard. But... i cant open some doors to complete the quests, it says i havent the key. I have another problem, the cursed items. How can i identify them? What can i do to remove them? Thx!
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5610 days, 19 hours, 59 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 at 18:37 (GMT -5)

Answering one of those questions opens a looming morass that leads to many more questions, some of which may get more spoily than you intended. So, read at your own discretion.

For your key question:

Spoiler
To open doors you don't have a key for, you have to 'k'ick them down. However, many doors are trapped, and kicking the doors will set off the traps, which can damage you and destroy your equipment. If you want to kick down a door safely, the best thing to do is to get to full health, drop all your items at least a few squares away, and then 'k'ick the door down from a diagonal angle (ie. 7, 9, 1 or 3) which will keep you from getting too much damage and will keep your items safe. The detect traps skill helps you know ahead of time whether a door is trapped or not, and you can buy the detect traps skill from Yergius in the bandit village, but there are certain conditions you need to meet before he'll teach you that skill.

For your cursed item question:

Spoiler
The best way to not get stuck wearing cursed items is to not put on items in the first place unless you can be reasonably sure they aren't cursed. One way you can be reasonably sure an item isn't cursed is to see how much a shopkeeper will pay you for the item. If he offers a high price, it's probably safe. If he offers a low price, it probably isn't. Dropping your items on an altar tells you whether your items are cursed, uncursed, or blessed, but the altar has to match your alignment. If you're chaotic use a black altar, if you're neutral use a gray altar, and if you're lawful use a white altar. The manual explains alignment more thoroughly. To remove cursed items, you can uncurse them with scrolls of uncursing, bless them by dipping them in holy waters, or destroy them with traps, scrolls of item destruction, or very angry gods.

The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6132 days, 2 hours, 6 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 at 20:15 (GMT -5)

also for trapped doors

Spoiler
if you kick a door and it says that 'it does not budge at all' it means that the door is trapped, doors that say 'it does not budge' are not trapped

and for cursed items

Spoiler
if you've equipped a cursed weapon and want to get rid of it, you can find a ratling fencer and wait for him to disarm you, or attack a grey ooze/jelly untill the weapon is corroded untill it is destroyed, acid traps can destroy you helmet (Ctrl and the T button) but beware that you dont kill yourself doing this, and remove your other equipment. and a blessed scroll of uncursing uncurses everything in your inventoey.

*<< Words go here >>*
lordbubyan
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 at 20:59 (GMT -5)

Thank you friends, i have started another game. This one i hadn´t cursed items ;) but...a trap blinded me, and i have died and died again lol.

How can i remove blindness?, i was walking in the caves and my character was blinded. When my character is blind i cant do nothing only wait until my death :_(
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5984 days, 17 hours, 55 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 at 13:46 (GMT -5)

You died before and you will be dying again! LOL
PCs tend to die a lot in this game ...

AFAIK, blinding is never permanent. Maybe the duration is toughness-based, I don't know. Just wait by pressing '5' 'till it wears off. It's usually not that long.

Were you blinded in the Puppy Caves (PC) ? Because that place is rather dangerous and often lethal for beginning characters. You may want to consider beginning in someplace else. Or were you in the Small Cave (SMC) ? It's even worst !! The SMC is über-dangerous, I'll say no more for now. If you haven't done so, go to Terinyo and talk to people for a starter.

Oh ! And welcome in Adoming :-) !
All your base are belong to us.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 19 hours, 43 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 at 14:45 (GMT -5)

Yeah, blinding is never permanent but:

Spoiler
if you get hit in the face by a glob of hot mud, the blindness will never go away unless you wipe your 'F'ace

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
lordbubyan
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 at 15:44 (GMT -5)

aaargh yes, i was blinded with a glob of hot mud and I died 2 because i couldnt see the monsters lol
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5984 days, 17 hours, 55 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 at 17:02 (GMT -5)

Right ! I forgot about the mud-bath LOL

I don't know why but I like that one !
All your base are belong to us.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 22 hours, 10 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 at 17:25 (GMT -5)

My friend also died blind lots of times before I told him about the mud-bath.

It seems to be a reliable newbie killer.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4963 days, 7 hours, 51 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 at 17:58 (GMT -5)

It's rather nice for female PC's, though. You get a certain stat bonus when removing all that mud from your face.

Mud bath, anyone?
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 19 hours, 43 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 at 04:11 (GMT -5)

it's not just females who get the stat bonus from mud baths, when you get hit by the mud your appearance drops by one point, but when you remove the mud you appearance raises by 2 points
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4963 days, 7 hours, 51 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 at 12:26 (GMT -5)

Yep. It affects males too. But that particular stat just doesn't have an influence on anything for males, whereas it does for females..
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: