Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Beginning with weak chars

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

5008 days, 4 hours, 20 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 03:16 (GMT -5)

I think someone posted here a kind of a guide for weak characters? I'd like to hear tips for surviving with characters like wizards and the like.

Usually I try to level up (until my char is around lv 6)on ID's first level or two first levels. Then I go and continue the game like normally, but I've never gotten very far with wizards.
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 04:22 (GMT -5)

I dont think going to the id at level 1 with a weak character is a good idea, It's better to go to the village dungeon or druid cave, It's much safer there and better items are found there. In my experience the monsters in the id even at I1 are much tougher then in the vd. After you have raised a few levels and found some equipment it might be a good idea to go to the id and raise a few more levels and find some nice items and spelbooks.

also general low-level survival tips : use a shield a spear ,use first aid combined with coward mode, know when to use spells and when to kill monsters in melee, be careful to know whether you'r attacking a large or normal gnol/kobolt or goblinslavemasters, train your strength by buying a lot of ration and walk around strained until you have strength 16 but drop then when you meet a tough monster while strained or when you need to kick in a door, go back to munxip to buy new rations if you need, when you have a shield practise it with weak monsters and get some skill in it (even/especially if you are playing a spelcaster) and fight in normal mode to train it further.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3900 days, 20 hours and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 at 04:28 (GMT -5)

Since this is the ADOM forum, and some of this might be a bit spoily:

Spoiler
Usually if the character has really bad stats I start by creating the monsters in SMC, so that I can possibly pass it later on, then if I happen to have a good bolt spell (not magic missile) I go the Bug temple (I usually leave my spellbooks/scrolls in Terinyo right on the spot where you enter it, and usually no one steals them, this way you can cross the river), and kill a couple of greater claw bugs on the top level, and make a quick escape, this usually gets the char to about lvl 10. If I don't have a good bolt spell I usually try clearing out the SMC and then go the the ID to gain a few levels.

After that I usually go for the SMC, the UD and HMV. when I have found the "secret" passage, I go back to Terinyo, again crossing the river, since I now usually have a waterproof blanket, and go and kill Hotzenplotz. After this I go to the CoC and Dwarftown to get the first quest, and possibly a precrowning, depending on if I've found enough herbs to do it.

This should help you make it through the early beginning of the game
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4773 days, 8 hours, 5 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 16:03 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
Morgia Roots, and Moss or Morrellion.
These are the keys to successful spellcasters.
Morgia roots can be eaten in all forms, even cursed. Moss of morrellion needs to be uncursed, but there are tricks here.
Firstly get a square of 4 with morgia roots at the top. See below

"" - Morgia
"" - Morrellion

Now if you are lucky enough to have another block of 4 on the same level with stomafilla, then you are on to a winner.
Get a breeder, worm or jelly etc into a room, lock the door and let if breed out the level. You are now left in peace.
every time the herbs regenerate, pick one corner of the square clean. Each time move clockwise or anti clockwise round the square so that you get the maximum amount of morgia and morellion for your efforts.
With the moss, you need to avoid the cursed, so try the following. Collect lots of moss until you have three piles of 10 each drop all but 1 from each pile. Put each pile in turn into your tool slot, and then without using, try to remove. You will be unable to remove the cursed. Use the 1 cursed moss, and then pick up all piles. You will now have three piles in your inventory. Two with 10, one with 9. The pile of 9 is cursed. Knowing which pile is cursed makes it easy to avoid, and your Dex will quickly move to 25 or 26 this way.

The idea above of getting SMC with only easy monsters is a good trick I use. I go to SMC, if I'm lucky, I find the down stair, then come back out. Then its infinite dungeon for a few levels. If evil, dark elfs are a favourite of mine, then off to hole in the law to start my thieves guild apprenticship. Then puppy cave to start my herb garden, and if lucky get pre crowned.
Village dungeon doing the druid quest, but not to completion, dont want to create an artifact that will stop my crowning, this is merely to get herbs and altars, the quest can be completed later.
Then when invisibility is available, down SMC and UD, but never linger here unless herbs are on easy offer.

If you have done all this, and no altars or herbs, then you are so unlucky. The big room is a hard place to cultivate herbs.

Bottom line, herbs make the game possible for weak characters. I've never finished the game, but my current char has all the orbs, and has a shot at winning. I've never got passed level 15 without a herb garden, so work on that herb square and go for the win.
Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 at 08:59 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the tips people, I got myself a gnomish wizard and went to druid cave (and puppy cave), I found a mithril scimitar of devastation there... I was sure that RNG would get me in few hours, but no..I am now lvl 15, have ~15 spells, couple herb gardens, average equipment overall, balanced stats... Everything looks really good, but I am really afraid of a)myself, screwing things up stupidly somewhere and b) RNG ;D

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/30/2006 at 09:12 (GMT -5) by Blacklion]
Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

Hahahha, (and *Cry* too) My own stupidness got me... darn.. I've survived dwarven halls on CoC too easily earlier on, and now it got me.. master mimic got me. It didn't really look like some dandy item, just like normal item! :(

Stupid me, stupid stupid stupid...
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4070 days, 22 hours, 26 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 at 16:25 (GMT -5)

The lesson is simple. The Animated Tree Forest may be tedious and annoying, but at least you know what you'll have to deal with when going through.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 at 17:02 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I know.. I promise that I'll never enter Dwarven halls without teleport and blessed scroll of magic mapping :D
NoHandle
Registered user

Last page view:

6490 days, 18 hours, 53 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 at 15:50 (GMT -5)

Actually, sometimes there are monsters generated in the forest that are a pain. One time, I was using a human wizard and got screwed because it generated a damn dark elven priestess. I had to dodge around trees, and fight spiders.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3900 days, 20 hours and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 at 17:38 (GMT -5)

if some other monsters appear in the animated forest, just try to get away from them, the trees will kill them eventually
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
NoHandle
Registered user

Last page view:

6490 days, 18 hours, 53 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 at 18:10 (GMT -5)

What ended up happening was I got bogged down between trees and spiders. Took a couple hits from the spiders and died from blood poisoning. I hadn't known the priestess was there until spiders started appearing. Low perception, not much a visual range, and hadn't gotten farsight yet.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4070 days, 22 hours, 26 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 at 19:17 (GMT -5)

Well, that's just bad luck. Happens in the Dwarven Halls too ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: