Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / What is the ultimate win?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4772 days, 13 hours, 10 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 15:09 (GMT -5)

There are many ways to win, but what is the ultimate?.
Obviously you must go through the gate and kill Andor, but as a lawful, or Chaotic?. Must you have done all quests possible?

Personally I enjoyed my avator of Order win (scummed), nice ending.

Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4070 days, 3 hours, 31 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 17:14 (GMT -5)

The ultimate win is probably the Avatar of Order/Balance/Chaos God ending - without scumming, of course.

You could try to win some of the challenges: Wanna give Eternium Man a try? ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5828 days, 23 hours, 7 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 at 14:54 (GMT -5)

The Ultimate Chaos God is a challenge.
Newest challenge: win by fighting with only throwing weapons. Exceptions: roxx(0rz), scurgari, boomerangs and arrow/quarrel-operated weapons. You can of course use that Cat's claw :) Prolly easiest for an assassin, poisoned throwing daggers r t3h fun!
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4772 days, 13 hours, 10 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 05:21 (GMT -5)

I contemplated going for an eternium challenge once, when I had a well placed altar generated on the level. But the sheer tedium of the quest, and the odds against me completing put me off it.

One question does bug me though is how on earth did someone achieve a win while remaining a level 1 character.
I have attached the record from the HOF.

Now, with this being a bard, I can only assume that a pet was used to do all the killing, and music skill was at 100 very quickly.
I dont doubt that it was done legit, but it does amaze me that anyone could actually pull it off.
Must have had a good plan for level 50.

Bard. L1 dwarven bard (F). 0 xps. 113506 turns.
Won on 2/19/2006.
She saved the world with her brave efforts and became a great ruler while saving herself 47 times.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3900 days, 1 hour, 5 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 07:00 (GMT -5)

a lvl 1 victory is probably a *lot* easier than a win with 0 xp, since you get xp from other than killing monsters too
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 08:16 (GMT -5)

Exactly. Sacrificing monsters would be forbidden.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3900 days, 1 hour, 5 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 09:05 (GMT -5)

iirc sacrificed monsters end up on your kill list anyway
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4241 days, 2 hours, 49 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 14:50 (GMT -5)

There have been a small handful of people that have managed to complete the game without killing anything - yes, it involves a bard, and taming killer bugs. It's an extreme challenge, and not for the faint-hearted. The first person to achieve this was Alex Pinachos, with his character Trinity: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.games.roguelike.adom/msg/256516654c561aaa
He actually got a Chaos God ending, with his only kill being Andor Drakon (who only yields 1 xp).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 16:59 (GMT -5)

There are a couple of challenges that have been achieved by one or two people only. The Carbon Fiber Man challenge is one I still admire... Some guy actually won the game never carrying more than 100 stones.

The closest thing to a challenge game I would be trying to achieve now is an ultimate ending, though. As soon as I've achieved that, I can sleep soundly again ;) (Just kidding. I'm very satisfied with my two wins already.)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 at 14:24 (GMT -5)

If I'm bored and just feel like a quick game then I'll try Iron Man or Asbestos Man (go stright to ToEF, get the orb and leave). I'll be doomed to die, but it's pretty fun. My chances at a normal win have always been fruitless, especially since my last almost-ULE that died after killing Andy :(
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6109 days, 47 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 07:55 (GMT -5)

new challenge: you are only allowed to kill things by throwing armor at them. (shoes, gloves, amulets, rings, scrolls and books are also allowed)

basically: no punching, no kicking, and no using anything that is supposed to be a weapon (no throwing rocks. I'm still debating whether or not to allow splintered bits of door to be thrown)

I just tried this to make sure it could happen, and it works, somewhat: i managed to kill a goblin by throwing my furs at him (troll barbarian). unfortunately, when i threw them at the kobold, he picked them up, and i was left running around naked looking for some gloves or something to throw at him, before i stumbled into a goblin tension room. maybe next time :-P

unfortunately, throwing food at something deals no damage :(

the "food fight" challenge would have been great.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 08:12 (GMT -5)

To win that armor challenge game, you would have to play a character with the maximum amount of armor. Assassins, for example, start with a hood, a cloak, leather boots, gloves AND an elven chain mail (Well, the elves do, I only play high elven assassins). 5 shots. Use your poison on your armor often. Buy every piece of armor or other allowed throwable item you can find.

Poison would be your best friend in this challenge game, and most probably the only way to kill the more powerful enemies.

The best throwing weapons among those allowed are the moloch armor (Ha, ha) and the black torc. Obtaining it would be top priority in this challenge game.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/25/2006 at 08:12 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 16:16 (GMT -5)

The problem is dopplegangers - utterly undefeatable by that method. The tower would also be very difficult in terms of amassing many fire-proof items to chuck.

An interesting (and undefeated) challenge is Fling the Bling - play a merchant and use only the coin-tossing ability throughout the game. Can be very frustrating when you find an eternium halberd of penetration in the SMC early on...
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5886 days, 11 hours, 1 minute and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 23:26 (GMT -5)

Alright Darren. As soon as I manage to win an ultra ending, that challenge is mine...
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5790 days, 18 hours, 19 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 at 17:06 (GMT -5)

*always* wanted 2 offer:
why not simply close the gate, get as tuff as u can, make all the necessaty preparations, and... dive into ID as deep as u can!
the char will of course die at some point but the level number will be recorded into a memorial file

imho this can be some kind of alternative rating system or somethin'
i'm sure this worth tryin (my 1st winner 2 go for it will be a hurthling merchant - watch for untimely deaths entry=)

All roads lead to chaos, in the end.

Would u try the final ID dive?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5886 days, 11 hours, 1 minute and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 at 22:29 (GMT -5)

I think somebody already tried that with some sort of elven archer. Got 700+ levels before messing up and dying. It was on the untimely deaths page last I saw.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 at 14:44 (GMT -5)

Yeah, it's been tried a number of times, with varying degrees of success. If you look at the hall of fame list you'll see some examples.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5143 days, 8 hours, 43 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 20:22 (GMT -5)

Well, then a challenge which will never be completed is "who can dive deepest in the ID". But there could be a sort of list of who has gone how deep. It could be updated to, like:
729 Blop, the stupid troll (dead)
656 Argh, the nearsighted gnome (dead)
515 Wow, the amazing sorc (still alive)
I guess one would play only a few levels at a time, so as to not get careless and die.

I guess closing gate is mandatory to get down there without being corrupted out of ones skin. Also some serious preparation should be needed.

I've only been to 80-ish, it was a character who went in to get something but failed stupidly, so decided to sink him to his death. Ive never tried seriously with a winner. But I would like to know what the record is, and how tough that character was. Even 80 was no cakewalk. (Char was level 42, but not particularily stocked and buffed)
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5790 days, 18 hours, 19 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 at 13:16 (GMT -5)

still there are some race/class combos that in theory can venture into the ID fairly deep with almost no serious life-threats.

first of all drakish necromancer assuming he has at least one well-trained quickling undead slave and a killer bug

then any powerful archer with farsight spell and Hawkslayer as a companion

and probably dwarven fighter wearing moloch armor (either improved with scrolls of defense or smithed) wielding either axe of the minotaur emp. or a decent artifact spear and a shield

never succeeded in either of them though...
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: