Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Fun

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5829 days, 16 hours, 42 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 at 12:40 (GMT -5)

My most recent character has been tricked into death by the RNG. It was a drakish barbarian. After I got Treasure Hunter, etc., the necessary talents, I found a balanced adamantium broadsword of lightning (+4, 1d8+5, extra 2d6 lightning damage). Then I got a spider shell armor of defense (0, -2) [+3, +5] (though it was heavy as fakk).
Of course, the RNG killed me in a miserable way. Your job is to guess how he died. You can have 10 guesses per account. The one(s) who got closest by Sunday is (are) the winner(s). Remember, it's just fun, which means the winner will get just a congratulations :P
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4958 days, 6 hours, 47 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 at 14:38 (GMT -5)

Hmm... Surrounded by überjackals or some other kind of summoned critters?
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4070 days, 21 hours, 6 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 at 14:48 (GMT -5)

Tricky. Your character probably was around level 10, judging from the expression "necessary talents", which includes at least Alert, Miser, Treasure Hunter. I don't know what you'd define as "necessary" in addition, but I'd wager at least two more, possibly Long Stride. I don't think your level is higher than 17, because you'd have gotten the ancient mummy wrapping by then and used it.

At this low a level, uberjackals aren't a problem. Stone Block traps won't be able to kill you now anymore. My money is on some kind of very powerful monster that you COULDN'T run away from...

1) Master mimic, or greater mimic.
2) Werewolf lord tension room.

More guesses after more thinking.

EDIT:

Heh. I like that idea.

3)Swordman, or ratling fencer, came and disarmed you, picked up your weapon and electrocuted you with a critical.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/22/2006 at 14:54 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 at 17:19 (GMT -5)

Some common ways to die:

-killed by shattering mirrors
-scorched by a scroll of charging
-froze/electrofied/executed/dissolved/tranformed himself into a heap of ash/drained his life away with a wand
-killed by an unalligned amulet
-killed by the cute dog
-starved to dead after being locked up in muxip's shop after touching his food with poison hands and not being able to pay him for it.
-killed by a clawbug who did 12 attacks that where all critical hits
-burned himself by eating and acide herb

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4241 days, 20 hours, 24 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 at 17:26 (GMT -5)

Hmm, my guesses would be...

1) Accidentally step on altar
2) Lightning or acid vortex
3) Some monster berserking and killing you
4) Falling to death in the mountains
5) Gorgon petrifying you
6) Accidentally steal from a shop and get killed by the merchant
7) Spider factory in the Big Room before you've gotten poison resistance
8) Bukkaked by blink dogs that you let replicate lots in the hopes of getting a corpse
9) Black wizard summoning numerous invisible ogre magi
10) Ghost ages you to death

I haveto wonder what you mean by "tricked" into death though... Hmm, will be curious to see the answer.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5979 days, 16 hours, 52 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

My guesses :

1) Breath onto by an out-of-sight lightning lizard
2) Was wearing a ring of damage who was later cursed by an anis hag, then unable to kill anything
3) Receive a thrown rock from the stone giant of the HMV
4) Exploded himself trying to read a spell book
5) Encountered a Greater Vault
6) Drown trying to reach the tinhy island in Terinyo
7) Falled in the stairs (while Strained!)
8) Zapped himself to death by a wand of far slaying
9) Accidentally drank an unidentified potion of poison while in dire need
10) Accidentally read an unidentified IBM manual while in dire need

So many ways to die ... :-D
All your base are belong to us.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 04:11 (GMT -5)

4) The last opponent in the arena dropped an item. To get it, you had to fight one more random opponent, which turned out to be an ancient karmic dragon or something unfair like that.
5) Tried to rob a grave, got an emperor lich in your face. That's what you get, you miserable grave-robber, you!
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 05:29 (GMT -5)

maybe there whas an altar that whas hidden under an item that whas dropped by another monster. when you walked over it you got sacced.

that would include some trickery of the rng.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 07:51 (GMT -5)

Starved to death after too much acid spitting
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 09:16 (GMT -5)

that would just be plain stupid, no rng involved there.

10)crushed by tons of luggage after putting on a cursed girdle of carrying.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 at 11:37 (GMT -5)

Oops, I forgot this one:
Ej is the winner! Guess number 10 won it. However, not by a cursed girdle of carrying-instead a lightning lizard electrocuted my blessed one.
The first guess of Cristus takes the second place, as one of the causes of death was indeed a lightning lizard.
No third place.
Congratulations to the winner!!!
More such games to come...
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Nehor
Registered user
TheLightAtTheEndOfTheWorld

Last page view:

6510 days, 13 hours, 7 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 at 21:55 (GMT -5)

Ahh... the RNG. It can make a man cry harder and longer than any woman. The misfortune of my life is that the RNG seems to be looking for extra angles to hurt me.

Ever have that feeling: I shouldn't kill that cat... It can't do anything to me, can it? And then R.I.P after a critical hit?

Once I was finishing the Puppy quest with a reaally promising character and I decided to take a food break, during a troublesome fight with a least daemon. E.g. Puppy behind me, walls around me, monster in front and shrugging off all my offensive spells :D So I go seeking inspiration in calories.

I come back to see my cat walking on my keyboard, making a wonderful meele attack by a gray elven wizard. I made a rather nice run to get him off, but by that time my HP in the "you might as well start crying now" region.

Amazingly, the hero lived, only to perish in the shortcut. Killed by a greater Titan. That she couldn't see. Sigh.

RiP Tierlan, Hail Savuyar, Axes High to you all!
Whatever this is, it's not a good reason not to have a drink.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 00:04 (GMT -5)

It's what I always say. The animated forest may be annoying as hell, but at least you know what you'll be dealing with.

IF I try the Dwarven Halls, I turn back immediately upon hearing a *THUMB*.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 07:21 (GMT -5)

I swear that the Dwarven Halls are much better. My strategy for the Dwarven Halls: I get a few blessed Potions of Invisibility and a blessed SoMM if possible. (or have luck and get a fine cloak). Then I drink 'em, use the scroll, and run through. Most monsters can be avoided.
In the Forest, I can be ultra-patient and still hit a tree. Then it gets in a critical hit, stuns me, then I get the forest on my butt. Bye.
If all else fails in the halls, I get 2 shields and run through the mess. But it doesn't seem to work for me in the forest...
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this

Do you prefer the Dwarven Halls to the Forest?
Yes  No
Check results

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 07:43 (GMT -5)

I stand by my opinion. With coward, two shields and invisibility, the animated forest is just as easy as the Dwarven Halls, if not easier... Besides, what if you run into something that can see invisible?
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5616 days, 3 hours, 21 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 09:17 (GMT -5)

Heh... IIRC during my game with my promising gelven bard (sadly deceased in the mana temple due to a mimic hivemind) I made a nice shortcut through the DH. In DH 1 after entering I immediately read a b?oMM thus locating the downstairs and immediately teleported there. Did the same in DH2 (except I only had that one ?oMM and had to ascend from below AF). This way one gets a quick shortcut through the DH with no big risk (unless there happens to be nasties in any of the four rooms used).
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4241 days, 20 hours, 24 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 14:41 (GMT -5)

I definitely prefer the dwarven halls - it's simply far less tedious, and there's always the chance to find the stairs in the next room. Also some good item drops and pickpocketing in DH1&2. If I find something I can't handle then I run away. It's hard to run away if you're in trouble in the forest - even teleportation is little use when the stairs are covered. Having said that, two shields and invisibility mean that you will eventually get through the trees, but it's such a chore... DH is always worth a peek at least.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 at 11:56 (GMT -5)

It's hard to run away in the DH too, if a quickling queen sets to pursue you... but that has a slim chance...
I just met a Balor in the dwarven halls. Started to run away but it summoned quickling lords. Ééééééééééééwwww... Finally I got to the stairs, and with the guardians' help finished off the quicklings 1-by-1...
Then I tunneled by the balor with a WoD, and did it... although I still got king cobras on my head those were far less perilous and more of useless against a few strikes...
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5979 days, 16 hours, 52 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 at 14:02 (GMT -5)

I always give an eye to the Dwarven Hall, in case of finding the stairs next room. The instant i see something too hard to handle, I turne around. In some case, to great profits, some case to my dismay :-D

Back to the original topic, I'm quite proud of my second place :-P

The last untimely death I had to suffer was from an out of sight lightning lizard. It's a strange feeling to walk the corridor and just find yourself ... dead. I had to read the file to know what hited me !

Yesterday, RNG got me too : my barbarian just got pre-crowned with no less than Wyrmlance before being slain by a multitude (and my overconfidence) in PC5 ! I blame the RNG because, if it was not of Wyrmlance, I wouldn't have feel that overconfident :-)
All your base are belong to us.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: