Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Odd scroll

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6109 days, 16 hours, 44 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

I've gotten this scroll ("ABABILA") for the third time this game.

the first time i read it, i got the message "you feel a tingling sensation"

Well, i have no idea what that means, but i survived, so it can't be that bad.

the second time i got it, i was suprised to find that it was still unidentified. instead of saying "scroll of -yaddayadda-" it still says "ABABILA"

once again, i read it, got tingled, and went on my way.

i got the scroll again for the third time, and i still have no idea what it does.

i haven't read it yet.

what does this scroll do?
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4958 days, 5 hours, 10 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 at 18:05 (GMT -5)

It is a scroll of power. It recharges your power points - if they need to be recharged. Otherwise, it just gives you a confusing message. ;)
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 at 20:15 (GMT -5)

ok, thanks.

I'm playing as an archer, so i never use my power points.

is that why it hasn't been identified yet? because it hasn't technically done anything to me (even though it would have had i been a wizard or something?)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/4/2006 at 20:16 (GMT -5) by nevered]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4070 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 12:05 (GMT -5)

Exactly. Items can only be identified by using if you can make out what they did.

Be careful reading unidentified scrolls... Some of them have negative effects. The same goes for potions and wands.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 13:32 (GMT -5)

what would you reccomend that i do with them?

i can't avoid reading scrolls until I figure out which one is the scroll of identify, and i can't figure that out if i'm not reading unidentified scrolls

:-P
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4241 days, 18 hours, 47 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 14:21 (GMT -5)

The scroll you find the most of is likely to be that of identify. Wait until you have a fair number of scrolls in your possession, and the one with the biggest stack is probably the identify scroll.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5979 days, 15 hours, 15 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 15:33 (GMT -5)

I also have a question : do you think it's too long a waiting to wait for a particular quest to be completed to have your stuff identified (including most probably the scrolls of Identifiy) ?
All your base are belong to us.
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5054 days, 15 hours, 30 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 16:57 (GMT -5)

I presume you're referring to Thrundarrs quest.

This may sound weird, but to me, I love this point of the game if I've had an illiterate character. Just waiting to see what I've accumulated and having a good old sort through.

I don't think its too long to wait though IMO. Just adds to the fun.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

It does add a bit of fun, suddenly finding out you have x y and z. But at the same time it can cost you the character if you have great stuff you're not using. I generally always try to get my stuff identified after I've cleared each of the lesser dungeons - especially UD, there's lots of nice stuff in there.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 at 14:49 (GMT -5)

Yes, Thrundarr's first quest is what I had in mind. I always felt like Christmas after my litterate character complete the quest :-)

Darren, maybe I'm too chicken, but I always wait to have a mean of invisibility (and maybe a blessed scroll of Magic Mapping if necessary) before going for the UD. The SMC is sooooo dangerous. Do you go there usually right from the begining and possibly forfeiting the Raider Lord quest, or later ?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4070 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 at 16:27 (GMT -5)

I try to descend through the UD instantly, happily forfeiting the Raider Lord quest. I mean, you wait days and days until he appears, and what do you get for killing him? The possibility to gain one of the crappiest skills in the game and 3000 gold? Compare this to the supreme equipment in the UD! 3000 gold does sound like much, but what should you spend in on in the early game, seeing as neither the HMV shop nor the shops possibly created in the UD can be easily reached?
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/6/2006 at 16:30 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 at 13:08 (GMT -5)

Hummm ... Good thinking. I'll give it a try on my next game . Thanks !
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 at 13:54 (GMT -5)

I always make a visit to SMC at level 1 to generate all the monsters there at low power. When I later return (normally around level 8) I do my utter best not to kill *anything*. Invisibilty can help immensely. Even better is if I can tame it with some breeders. Admittedly I have lost some promising characters due to braving the small cave.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: