Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Questions about the questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6109 days, 12 hours, 5 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 15:15 (GMT -5)

I am currently trying to create the best archer character i possibly can.

my last one (a high elf) was killed by an ice vortex somewhere in the caves of chaos (a level or two below the arena)

i was looking at some of the prerequisites for talents, and discovered that the fastest possible way for me to get missle weapon master was to play either a gnome or hurthling born in candle or falcon, with 18 mana to begin with.

that's four starting talents, one more at lvl 3 and 6, and by level 9, i am a missle weapon master.

now, the starsign just takes patience, and the race is easy enough, but for some reason, the mana never seems to get there.

so i found a list that someone made, showing the full list of every single question, and every single effect that they have on your stats.

i also found a list of the races, the classes, and all the beginning stats of each.

so, by following through the questions and answering them all satisfactorily, i should be able to get a mana score large enough to net me that fourth starting talent.

so: either the list of questions and the effects they have is wrong, the list of races and classes is wrong, or there is a third factor that I am not taking into account when i tabulate the beginning stats.

what am i missing?

edit: here's the page i'm using:

http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-toc.html

the list of questions and effects is on the 'tips page

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/5/2006 at 15:35 (GMT -5) by nevered]
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4958 days, 31 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 17:05 (GMT -5)

Play a bard pr a farmer. They get an additional talent, IIRC.
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

i know that.

but the point is to make the best archer possible, and that sort of rules out becoming a farmer, bard, or merchant.

according to the manual, the maximum number of beginning talents you can have is 6:

1 you always get
1 for falcon or candle starsign
1 for 18+ starting mana
1 for gnome or hurthling
1 for bard, merchant, or farmer
1 if all of your stats added up are divisible by 7

the base, starsign, and gnome are the easiest to get.

the bard, merchant, or farmer is out of the question

the divisible by 7 is much too difficult to plan, though it can be done

the 18+ mana is the safest bet for a fourth starting talent

i just need to know exactly what goes into the beginning stats, so that i can get 18 mana exactly

if I go too far over, i won't have the highest dexterity possible, and i need 18 or more by level 12ish so that i can get eagle eye.

the perfect scenario:

candle gnome with 18 mana and stats divisible by 7, the rest of the questions answered to give highest dexterity possible (over 18)

5 starting talents:
-alert
-aff. crossbows
-aff. bows
-good shot
-keen shot

lvl 3 talent:
-aff. slings

lvl 6 talent:
-Missle weapon master

lvl 9 talent:
-Eagle eyed

after that, i would get quick, quick shot, and lightning shot

i just need to know exactly what goes into the beginning stats of a character, so that i can calculate, as precisely as possible, the 18 mana and (with any luck) the divisible by seven rule. (and hopefully get the dexterity oer 18, because i can't count on raising it with potions)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/5/2006 at 17:36 (GMT -5) by nevered]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4241 days, 14 hours, 8 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 17:40 (GMT -5)

Playing a bard or farmer doesn't help him get a perfect archer, does it?

As for the stats not adding up there's always a random factor. Personally I'd recommend you not put so much weight on that - trying to be so precise can end up ruining the game. Missile Weapon Master isn't that great anyway. You're much better off going for Eagle-Eyed and Lightning Shot. Also some other talents can help you survive easier, like Long Stride and some defensive talents. And Treasure Hunter is considered by many to be to be the best talent to get.

But overall talents won't help you that much. You might find as you play there are other tactics you can take advantage of, and ways to change your playstyle to better suit different situations. Trying to concentrate too much on one thing (like upping your Mana for an extra talent) will lead you to neglent many other things.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 at 18:08 (GMT -5)

well, i came across that page by accident, and it showed me the talent heirarchies

i usually play as either an archer or a druid (sometimes even a wizard, but not as often)

when i used the prerequisites and the stat modifiers in the questions to make a character, That character got about twice as far as any other character i've ever made.

usually i do the carpenter quest first. about 1/3 of my characters die there. then i go to the puppy cave, and about 75% of my characters die there, (the druids can just walk past the ants with no trouble, but then they get screwed in the cavern, or in the vault)
not many make it on the way back up.

the very few characters that make it that far usually die when i go to lawintholiel and try to kill the crime lord.

i think i've had maybe three survive that, and all of them were pretty instantly killed either on the way over to the pyramid, or in the small cave.

when i started watching my talents a bit more closely and using the questions to take really careful control of my stats, i made a character that got me all the way to the unremarkable dungeon, the high mountain village, and then to the caves of chaos.

i found a method that works, and if "trying to be so precise can end up ruining the game.", it certainly can't ruin it as badly as all of the smacking my head against the wall that i've done so far.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4241 days, 14 hours, 8 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 at 14:29 (GMT -5)

Well, I'd personally recommend is that if you find that something is always getting you killed you probably shouldn't do it. Going for the crime lord for instance - you need quite a buff character to do that. Puppy cave is meant as an optional extra challenge at the start of the game - it's completely unnecessary.

If you want something to be more precise over that can actually help your characters survive much better then you're best looking up the benefits of herbs.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4070 days, 14 hours, 50 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 at 16:21 (GMT -5)

I've completely given up on saving the puppy for my games. Too much risk for too low gain.

I usually play high elven archers. Their high dexterity completely makes up for their lower talent count, and they've got relatively good spellcasting abilities.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: