Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / bundles of arrows

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6110 days, 34 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 at 06:43 (GMT -5)

i prefer to play archers, but am running into a problem:

reloading.

you usually start the game with two or three large bundles of arrows.

some of them are destroyed or lost, and i get some more from kobolds or something.

the problem is that by the time i finish the carpenter dungeon (for the 'healing' skill), my 'missles' inventory is a mess.

i have two (+1, 1d6) arrows, a (+0, 1d6) arrow, a blessed (+1, +1d6), a (+0, +1d6) arrow of targeting, two mithril (+1, 1d6+1) arrows, three (+0, +1d6+1) arrows, a half dozen unidentified arrows that are all individual, ect, ect...

the list goes on and on.

and after running out of one kind of arrow, i get the "do you want to reload with the arrow (+0, +1d6+1)? [Y/N]"

i hit 'yes', and while i reload, the enemy gets an extra hit on me.

is there some way to consolidate all my arrows into one bundle so i don't spend half of the time reloading?

most of the time i die because the enemy gets free hits on me each and every time i have to reload, and when i have to select a new bundle of arrows between each shot, that's a lot of damage.

tension rooms become a nightmare when i have to stand there reloading all the time.

i don't care if it transforms all of the arrows to whatever the worst arrow type is, i'd rather have a bundle of 25 cursed (+0, +1d6) arrows than have 25 individual arrows that i have to waste a turn reloading each one.
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5979 days, 23 hours, 4 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 at 14:37 (GMT -5)

You can't bundle arrows that are of different types or status. That means no consolidation. Ever.

'Do you want to reload with [...]' Try answer 'N'o, then put yourself in Coward mode to manually reload (by hitting 'i'). Monsters hit you a LOT less often when in Coward.

When in not-so-dangerous situation, I tend to use arrows that I have in bundle of only 1, 2 or 3, thus reloading very often but that way I keep my big bundles for more stressfull situations. It also have the advantage of identifying arrows. You may find from time to time some very usefull one, like construct or dragon slaying amo that you better have identified when the need rises.

Again, I never finished the game, so maybe someone else has a better tactic :-)
All your base are belong to us.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/13/2006 at 14:39 (GMT -5) by Cristus]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 3 hours, 18 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 at 07:30 (GMT -5)

Using fletchery gives me really big bundles of identical arrows. Follow Cristus' advice: Only use those big bundles if you absolute cannot spare the time to reload.

Usually, I also take all quarrels with me, and at some point I switch from using arrows to quarrels. This generally gives me more choice in missile weapons.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1228 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 at 16:08 (GMT -5)

Make sure to level your fletchery skill to 100 before using up the kit though. Maybe even wait for the Archers class power that further increases the effects of fletchery if you can.

Fletchery sets are somewhat rare, and very usefull for someone so dependent or ranged attacks. So use them wisely.
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6110 days, 34 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 16:27 (GMT -5)

i've also found a little trick for fletchery:

instead of kicking down doors and using the sticks, it's much better to cut down a tree and use a log.

make sure you're satiated, and have a hatchet or something.

i had a fletchery set with one charge left in it, and that single charge got me 60 arrows.

i'm definitely going to do that again.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 2 hours, 36 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 20:07 (GMT -5)

Yes, always use logs for fletchery. You can harvest them from animated trees, but it's safer (though more time-consuming) to cut down trees in the wilderness - Woodcraft helps speed this up a bit, I think. Blessed logs work better apparently, but I've never wasted holy water on this myself.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5829 days, 22 hours, 54 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 16:47 (GMT -5)

Meh, screw arrows. instead make a hobbit archer, and use roxx. You can get them from myriads of sources, which include, but aren't limited to crumbling rooms, gob rockthrowers, stone giants, (throwing and upon killing AFAIK), mining, and random finds.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5887 days, 10 hours, 48 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 at 18:53 (GMT -5)

Yeah, but you don't get rocks of -foo- slaying, and sling bullets aren't very common...

As a sidenote, I once got 100+ arrows from a single log using a blessed fletchery set and a level 18+ archer... of course, I also got about 20 arrows about the same time, so I think it's pretty random.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1887 days, 22 hours, 9 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 at 11:57 (GMT -5)

Using the Fletch skill I got 37 arrows of slaying out of a blessed log...that was pretty sick

I guess if you are really lucky can you imagine getting 100+ arrows of slaying!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/20/2006 at 11:58 (GMT -5) by Naiyor]
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 at 13:15 (GMT -5)

Or 100+ unerring arrows. Maybe unerring arrows of slaying? Can we say, w00t?
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 at 13:36 (GMT -5)

that would be pretty cool, however, you would only be able to shoot each arrow once!...the other way you can get more than one shot with each arrow
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

You only get one shot with unerring arrows? I didn't know that. Or I might have, just didn't enter my mind.

Oh well. It'd still be tasty to save for "bosses." :D

Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 at 19:36 (GMT -5)

I agree...it is nice to keep a few unerring arrows for those Tough situations

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: