Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Adom crashed, character lost?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Tor
Registered user

Last page view:

6488 days, 1 hour, 31 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 at 05:06 (GMT -5)

I was playing adom, as I sometimes do while bored at work, when all of a sudden the game crashed. Now when I try to start adom, the game exits immediately after opening a new game window.

This character was the most advanced character I have ever had. It is the first character I was able to crown and I was about to get post crowned for the first time when this happened. I hope that my character is not lost.

Does anyone know how I might get adom to work again without losing my character?
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 at 06:00 (GMT -5)

Sometimes when the game crashes the game is able to make a sudden save. This happened to me yesterday, I restarted ADOM and the character was could be (r)estored.

However you describe a fatal crash and the character is irrevocably lost.

There is nothing to do to save your character. If it makes you feel better, just imagine that he was gonna meet a Greater Balor around the next corner, and be as dead anyhow...:)

To play ADOM again you need to go into the adom_dat folder and delete the ADOM.prc file. After this the game will work again.

You actually need to make backup saves of advanced character, as there are some bug that will make this happen still. I make a new folder called "adom_backup". And after I save a character I copy and paste the savegame there regularily.

Now if your character dies thru normal means, you must resist the temptation to restore from the backupsave. Delete the backup too, this is how ADOM should be played. Use the backup only to retrieve character after fatal crash.

-M
Tor
Registered user

Last page view:

6488 days, 1 hour, 31 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 at 06:42 (GMT -5)

Thanks, chances are I will not be playing adom again for some time after this experience. It is very upsetting to lose the first character I was actually doing good with.

But for next time, how exactly do I backup a character? Just copy the savdg directory?

If anyone comes up with a way to recover my current character, let me know. I know there isn't a conventional way, but there is a tmpdat directory, could that hold enough information to recover the character?

Alternatively, is there some third party savegame editor with which I could create a similar character to start with?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/28/2006 at 06:47 (GMT -5) by Tor]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 at 07:34 (GMT -5)

Copy the file with characters name in the savegame dir.

Did you pass a burning tower? If not then character wasn't THAT advanced anyway. It won't take long to make up that loss with more practice :)

You only get better, I'd be surprised if one of your next 3 characters did not go as far or further...

Good luck
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5058 days, 18 hours, 9 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 at 12:55 (GMT -5)

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH!

My extremely promising Gray Elven Wizard just died cos the STUPID GAME CRASHED! Two Amulets of Life Saving, most spells going, ring of ice for the tower, a sword of sharpness, over half a million gold for crowning and stuff! It crashed just as I gave an amulet to Khelly! Now he won't survive! *Cries*

I feel so sad........I won't play the game now

Not for another couple of hours anyway.

I feel like a cheater when I back the game up, but I might have to start doing it now.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5891 days, 5 hours, 37 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 at 01:20 (GMT -5)

You know, PeanutGod... that happened to me at exactly the same place, under almost the same circumstances: Gray Elven Wizard giving AoLS to Khelly. I wonder if maybe there's something bugged about that situation specifically...
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 at 13:37 (GMT -5)

No. I had a gray elven wizard giving the AoLS to Kelly. She was female, though.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 21 hours, 25 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

Well, I think the fact is that grey elven wizards are perhaps the most popular class, especially for getting to that stage in the game. There is quite possibly some bugginess in giving the AoLS to Khelly (thankfully never had a problem myself) but the fact all your examples are grey elven wizards is most likely because they are played so much. If it were human farmers I'd be more worried (no one likes just the average Joe combination, eh?)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

5679 days, 13 hours, 1 minute and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 at 21:13 (GMT -5)

Grey Elven Wizards are OK, I gave an amulet to Khelavaster for the first time ever just the other day. Felt so good. First drink from my first pool was a wish. I died so much when I first started playing the game that I have come to terms with backing up a save game. I back up after any significant action. Lost too many promising characters because my IBM laptop overheated. ADOM tends to overheat laptops because of the way it is coded. This is a common phenomenon when running DOS apps on NT-kernel (XP in my case) laptops.
Battle Bunny: "Ach, maybe his Christian altar was stepped on.
By a moloch."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 21 hours, 25 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 at 13:12 (GMT -5)

You're best off using the Winbeta version or ADOM Sage then to avoid the overuse of the processor that the DOS version causes.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 at 05:32 (GMT -5)

Thanks. The IBM gets hot enough as it is, but running ADOM causes small children within 8' to burst into flames.

I can't imagine what it would have been like on my old Compaq, its AMD K6 could convert steel; I'd imagine that if you ran ADOM on it the computer could kill you. :)

By a moloch."
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5058 days, 18 hours, 9 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 at 04:02 (GMT -5)

There definately has to be something buggy about saving Khelly. My High Elven Weaponsmith game just crashed after I handed over an AOLS. I might as well just not save Khelly at all anymore, or revert back to an older less buggy version of the game.

------

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5891 days, 5 hours, 37 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 at 17:12 (GMT -5)

On a very similar note, three times now, I've had characters crash and burn because I asked Thrundarr about "quest" late in the game. The first time was a very promising trollish barbarian that was about to finish the game, another time to an orcish barbarian that later died after I restored from a backup, and a third time to the dark elven necromancer I just recently won with. The interesting thing with the necromancer was I still hadn't finished the sixth quest for the big mace, but it still crashed. It was consistent, too, because I kept restoring my backup, and I asked three times, and every single time it crashed. Has this ever happened to anybody else?
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Excrucior
Registered user
Lord of Harhar

Last page view:

6337 days, 18 hours, 11 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 at 15:40 (GMT -5)

I always keep a backup of my character, but only use them in case there's a crash or a power surge or whatever, as the game occasionally is pretty unstable.

EDIT: Damnit, you know you've been playing to much ADOM when... I meant power outage, not surge.
Meowalaboom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/11/2006 at 09:26 (GMT -5) by Excrucior]
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5451 days, 14 hours, 26 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 at 15:54 (GMT -5)

Just wondering, what version are you guys using? I use 1.1.1 and I never get bugs usually anyway. Have you guys patched anything?
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 22 hours, 7 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 at 16:57 (GMT -5)

Even 1.1.1 gets bugs sometimes, even though the DOS version really does run stable pretty reliably, even on Windows XP.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at 04:35 (GMT -5)

I got a crash just the other day, 111 w/ADOM sage, XP. But before I had sage and when I was new, I died often and when I didn't my IBM R30 overheated from the DOS process (laptops, XP, and DOS programs don't mix) and crashed frequently. So I saved. A lot. It's just habit now -it's how I play the game. I don't regard it as cheating, just about every other PC game in the world lets you save in such fashion. But I'm a diehard reader of PC Gamer and a strict adherant to their phillosophy of "Lack of Save-anywhere is a serious mark against the game."
I don't spam up pools or anything for serious characters anymore though, which I used to.
By a moloch."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at 10:31 (GMT -5)

Lack of Save-Anywhere just is part of the roguelike philosophy, which is inherently different from mainstream gaming philosophy. ADOM would receive serious criticism for the controls also, which are horribly difficult for a beginner to learn.

But that's how roguelikes are. Win or die. Doing backups because your computer keeps crashing is OK though.

Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 at 03:11 (GMT -5)

The controls aren't that bad -the need to use modifiers is the only bad part, and then only really the unexpected stuff like ":m" or the like. I just bought Neverwinter Nights 2 and it pretty much expects you to use the keyboard as your primary form of interaction with the interface -or at least to an unusually high degree for a modern game. The default (and coincidentally most convenient) way to use the inventory, the map, the character screen, etc, is to use the keyboard. Perhaps, after two decades, have programmers stopped creaming their jeans over the mouse? Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but, hey, I can dream, can't I?
By a moloch."
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5620 days, 4 hours, 22 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 at 09:28 (GMT -5)

I lost a char to a crash, too. Had found a RoDS just before Khelly and used it for AoLS for Khelly. Gave it to Khelly, he kept his little speech and dropped some stuff - and the game crashed.

Oh well, new char is underway. Again a gnome wizard (as usual). Graveyard done, pyramid done, assassin prince assassinated (invisibility+high level frost bolt). Managed to pick pocket an AoLS from an orc while scumming the ID. Now I'm collecting stoma from the pacified bogroom for precrowning and crowning. I just hope I don't get some useless crap from (pre)crowning like the Black pooting tome of A*sef*ckus or either of those crappy, useless good-for-nothing staves (well, at least they can be sold for some money).
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 06:48 (GMT -5)

Hey, the staff of the archmagi isn't that bad for a wizard...

Now Soaker, that is one crappy artifact.

I never precrown... Too much effort for too little gain for me.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5620 days, 4 hours, 22 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 09:33 (GMT -5)

Actually with a gnome wizard precrowning isn't too hard (supposing there is enough stoma bushes available before dwarftown). First, I gather lots of blessed stomafillia (some 250 or more) and sac some 120+ at dwarftown altar. This will take the char to crowning piety level. Then I lead one dwarf to previous level and kill it to get off N= and return to altar and pray. That takes care of precrowning. Then I offer another 120+ blessed stoma and pray - presto, crowned.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 09:43 (GMT -5)

I didn't say it's hard. I just lack the patience to gather loads of blessed stomafillia just for this single purpose. ;)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: