Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / take THAT, RNG!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5031 days, 16 hours, 48 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 at 03:24 (GMT -5)

so i decided to go into the ToEF without a ring of ice (but with a red dragon leather armor equipped). i get into the tower, move two steps and lose my leather cloak [+1,0]. good thing i had taken off my cloak of protection [0,+3] earlier :P

another few steps and i find a blessed mithril ring lying on the ground. cast enlightment on it and it's a ring of ice!

so i happily equip the ring of ice then proceed to move carefully through the tower.

i get to the top floor no problem and lure the wyrm into the corridor i dug. throw a potion of blindness at it then start shooting away with my 9 quarrels of dragon slaying. only ONE quarrel got through (3 got smashed) and blindness only lasted 4-5 turns and i got hit by 2 of those energy bolts that took me down to 40ish hp (my max is 240ish). so, yeah, i managed to run away and now i'm safely back in the wilderness.

i knew there was a reason the rng decided to give me that ring of ice. i'm so proud i foiled it's evil plan, heh :P
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4155 days, 19 hours, 8 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 at 05:07 (GMT -5)

going to ToEF without healing potions?
interestin tactic
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 at 12:07 (GMT -5)

i do have a bunch of blessed (insert prefix here) healing potions, but i'm relying more on cure critical wounds and heal for emergency, and spenseweeds for when i have time. and since i'm one step away from the steps i'd rather save the potions for later. but yeah, i know they wont be much use to me if i die.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 at 12:55 (GMT -5)

ToEF is definetly the place to use potions. It is one hardest fights in a game.

I guess you should use prayers at least
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3904 days, 12 hours, 7 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 04:14 (GMT -5)

never, ever say "take that, RNG" :D
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 14 hours, 34 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 05:07 (GMT -5)

Rings of Ice are crap. I've lost two GoGSes because I relied on them. Even if blessed and doubly equipped, sooner or later they'll fail, and then the fire eagerly grabs your most important piece of equipment and gleeishly devours it...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 11:18 (GMT -5)

I prefer to just not wear anything vulnerable to fire in the tower, makes things so much easier. I'll maybe wear some SLBs and a crap cloak if I have a blessed RoIce and plenty of better backups, but otherwise I would never risk anything good.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 13:00 (GMT -5)

wait, you mean you can lose equipment to the ToEF heat even if you're wearing a ring of ice? i dont think i've ever ran into that before.

or do you mean the ring gets destroyed by the heat then you start losing equipment? if that's the case, i always protect my ring with the elemental gauntlets.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 9 hours, 21 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 14:14 (GMT -5)

1 Blessed RoIce has 92% chance to protect equipment, two of them increase the chance to 95%.
But that's still 5% chance of stuff burning. Herbs in the tool slot, missiles and fragile equipment (leather girdles and boots) are not safe. Ever.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5890 days, 22 hours, 3 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 14:40 (GMT -5)

Malestrom, that's not what the guidebook says. It says...

Spoiler
If a PC must wear items vulnerable to fire, a blessed ring of ice is necessary. Uncursed rings of ice will not work, they must be blessed. Even with a blessed ring of ice, some equipment destruction may occur. Blessed rings of ice seem to protect to the 92-95% level. Even wearing two blessed rings of ice does not guarantee worn equipment will not be destroyed, although the protection seems to go up to 99+%.

Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 at 13:01 (GMT -5)

and going back to the topic (RNG), i think it's trying to get back at me even though i'm playing from a different computer. my level 9 dwarven beastfighter found a beehive and neutral altar on the same level, a few levels above the si. converting the altar was easy and sacrificing bees one after another was even easier. guess what i got for precrowning? preserver...

this same character has also found a stone axe of penetration, so i'm practicing a bit with axes and shields too. it's fun getting surrounded by rats on very aggressive with preserver equipped :P
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

He is right on the "Stuff is not safe. Ever." bit, which should be specifically included in the guidebook.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5890 days, 22 hours, 3 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 at 18:38 (GMT -5)

True, but a < 1% chance is very different than a 5% chance. I guess the lesson is, don't equip anything *too* valuable, but don't be afraid to equip useful items, because they *probably* won't get burned while wearing two rings of ice.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/1/2006 at 18:39 (GMT -5) by Kirbot]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 at 22:21 (GMT -5)

isn't it simplier just to put something extra valuanble (girdle of giant strength, maybe 7lb) in backpack?

i mean wasting both ring slots, and not to use rings of invisibilty, regeneration or even fire resist as final level of resistance for ToEF.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 9 hours, 21 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 at 07:25 (GMT -5)

... Rings of invisibility? Why would you use that? That's what potions are for. And they don't burn an obscene amout of food too...
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5451 days, 6 hours, 52 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 at 09:35 (GMT -5)

Preserver? Isn't that the amulet? Or do you mean Protector the shield? Preservers actually VERY good for a beastfighter. I'd say second to like bracers of war. It heals, and is +4+4. And protector still isn't bad. With that and stone axe of pen. you should try Darkforge.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 at 15:01 (GMT -5)

since when food is a problem in ADOM?

Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/2/2006 at 15:01 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 at 19:00 (GMT -5)

It is, if you have to repeatedly eat it during a fight, losing precious time.

Of course, blessed stomafillia can delay this, but at the price of being bloated.
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 at 21:17 (GMT -5)

Also, food shouldn't be a problem for beastfighters. They have herbalism if I'm not mistaken, so they can harvest and eat. Five minutes for food for weeks. I mean, and it's not even much add food.
-My brother
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 at 22:31 (GMT -5)

oops, i meant protector. yeah, the shield isnt bad at all, but it could be even better if i wasnt fighting unarmed :P
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 at 22:58 (GMT -5)

silfir:
first you get unbloated fast enough with items of invisibility
second could you remind me which fight takes so long for invisble and prepared character that you have to eat multiple times?
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

The whole Water Temple, for instance. Normally, I use ring or cape of invisibility in there, and eat cooked lizards regularly.

Blessed stomafillia will make me bloated most of the time, and satiated for another big part, and only for less than a twelvth, I'm neither hungry nor satiated.

It really sucks if you have to eat stuff while engaged in melee with an orb guardian. That's what I keep my potions of toughness (potential) and berzio potions for, and the scrolls of satiation.

Blessed stomafillia is the best food there is, granted, but for fighting purposes it's not the perfect choice.

Even having herbalism does not guarantee stomafillia, btw. You have to find a sufficient herb square first or produce one, and not all like to waste their holy water on that.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 at 14:57 (GMT -5)

never had such problems -- you kill things slowly while invisible regulating your satiation status outside, then just lure out snake into diggen tunnel, when stun/blind/paralyze her, take off invibility item and finish your needs.
no need for any blessed stomafilia regular lizards are more then enough.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 at 15:50 (GMT -5)

You lose, 10 speed right? You go to extreme bloated with some 5000 saited points right? Invis makes you lose 1 every turn, in addition to normal one and 1 also if your strained (plus 1 for trolls, but who plays them that far?). So, you get -3 every turn. That's still 1650 (or around that). Ten speed isn't that much. Also, if you have to eat during a big fight, it's even worse. Plus, you get more exp. But if your really crazy about speed eat a blessed stoma. Wait around with invis on until you are at saited. It will be at the very end of the side, so you should have plenty of time. My current ranger who got fairly far doesn't even use lizards. I don't have a problem with bloated, but I do with carrying. I have some 50 stones worth of stoma, and they do more then around 500 lizards. What characters who have gotten that far don't have stoma bushes? Plus, invis isn't even that big of a deal.

Spoiler
Most of my chars can easily kill demons and grues. Blessing your weapon makes it deal alot more damage.
. Also, I would recommend using your hands the higher level you get. If you run into problems switch to shield, but beastfighters get big damage.
-My brother
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

Normally I'm not overflowing with blessed stomafillia. If I find a suitable herb patch, I pick it from time to time, but herb scumming (and precrowning) has never been my thing and never will be.

And your tactics for food are great and all, but too complicated for me. I'm the type who wants to play the game as simple as possible.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: