Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Playing melee characters

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

zogzog
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 02:39 (GMT -5)

I finally won the game playing a hurthling wizard. Now I'd like to be able to do the same thing with a melee character. However whichever class I play (generally monk or barbarian), they seem to be really weak after a certain point (past dwarftown more or less). Casting classes just seem to do more damage, have better skills, better DV by staying in coward while casting etc...
Does anyone have some tips for playing melee characters ? Is there any efficient way to train stats like St and To beyond 25 or so ( especially without herbalism).
Thanks.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5620 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 02:48 (GMT -5)

IME a beastfighter is a nice choice for a melee char. My so far only melee char victory is with a gnomish beastfigter. No weapons needed (in fact a beastfighter is best without any weapons). Beastfighters also seem to have quite nice selection of crowning gifts (Bracers of War for instance). And beastfighters start with both healing and herbalism.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 3 hours, 29 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 07:14 (GMT -5)

You could try an archer. Grey elven for instance.

A bit weak in the late beginning but totally deadly later on. They even get some spellcasting abilities.

Beastfighter get heavy damage barehanded, yes. They are weak mid-game (Clevel 15-20), and also have close to zero spellcast-talent. This wont matter.

Generally, for melee characters you have to be a little more careful. A spellcaster can fight anything, but melee needs to consider opponents more.

Monk and beastfighter (and archers too, I guess) don't need to find cool weapons, they get by without (or basic arrows)

However there are many good guaranteed weapons in the game. And you could even get lucky. So you might as well try classes like ranger, paladin, fighter, barbarian, weaponsmith. They WILL find something to wield around.
Gulthorpe
Registered user

Last page view:

6126 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 07:57 (GMT -5)

Dwarven barbarians are nice. With proper equipment they're walking tanks in the latter parts of the game. And the first parts of the game aren't that hard since they endure quite alot.

After getting a good weapon they can kill almost anything.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 22 hours, 16 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

High elven archers are better than grey elven ones, if only slightly. (More Dx, more To, and same Le and St, and faster regeneration.) And they are not weak in the beginning IMHO, in fact, they are pretty much the most powerful choice. They can kill ANYTHING with their usually extensive stack of arrows, *especially* in the beginning, and will have few problems applying their natural talents and superior skills to other missile weapons as well.

And then there is slaying ammo, the single most popular way to take out your occasional orb guardian. (An easy way to kill Nuurag-Vaarn - and those are rare!)

It gets a little tricky as soon as you engage high-PV monsters or doppleganger lords.

If you're asking about melee fighters, I can give you a particular point of advice: Elves make really nice characters if a fighting class is chosen. Granted, their Toughness is lower and their Strength only mediocre, but oftentimes they start with an elven chain mail, which is a valuable asset. In addition, they have a superior Dexterity, which will assist you in to-hit and DV and speed, especially if you plan to add missile weapons to your repertoire (which you should). In addition, they are usually guaranteedly literate.

Spoiler
Dark elven beastfighters get spider shell armor, which is a powerful armor compared to the furs other beastfighters wear.

You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 21 hours, 34 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 13:36 (GMT -5)

One problem with the fighting classes is they require more experience to advance than others, so after a certain point in the game the monsters get much more powerful than you without a lot of training. Always remember to run away if you can't handle something. Also, quite importantly, never rely purely on melee. Wands help immensely, especially stuff like poison and paralysis, and missiles are still vital for many things.

Some more spoily stuff:

Spoiler
If you want to boost your stats then one thing to try is using herbs whilst sick - you can get your Toughness up to 30 that way. Corruptions like the large cranium or extremely thin one allow you to abuse herbs more too. Rings of weakness are quite scummy, but if you're lucky enough to find one (or wish for one) you can use it to train your strength a lot (just be careful not to get crushed by equipment or killed by monsters). Also, the ape corruption can be a blessing for fighting classes. It will continuously increase your strength (and toughness too from my experience) at the expense of learning, willpower and charisma. If you're okay losing the latter three (which can be boosted back up with training and herbs anyway) then you can increase your strength to phenomenal proportions. One vital thing for melee classes though is a good and well-trained shield. By the mid-game you should be getting an extra 40 or so DV from this. Tactics should also be well-trained.

Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5451 days, 14 hours, 35 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

Ok, for awhile I had trouble with melee characters too. At dwarftown, they're just plain weak. So, this part is spoily.

Spoiler
The main problem with most melee chars for awhile is the weapon. With my chars anyway, admantium longswords just don't cut-it. If you get vanqisher, I gurantee you if you make no mistakes you have won.That being said, you can get it mainly by getting (pre)crowned. Easiest way is with stoma. Most of my melee chars have herbalism (most all actally). Herb farms aren't hard to find. UD/big room should work. Anyway, this doesn't really work with beastfighters and monks, as they don't get good with weps and crowning might not gurantee you one. So, what you want is a good bow skill. Get some good dex with moss, train it up a bit and just shoot everything till it gets near you, and then whack it with anything. Arrows aren't hard to find.

Anyway, hope that helps!
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: