Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / How to teach Herbal., healing?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Elerius
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 at 14:36 (GMT -5)

I started with weaponsmith, bu guess what, discovered that he does not know healing and herbalism :). What is better to choose at terinyo, healing or herbalism? And is there some guaranted way to teach both later in the game?

Another question, I'm just curious - at what level are you usually able to kill ancient shadow wyrm in toeff? my gnomish beastfighter managed it at lvl. 21, is it remarkable or not? I kill him in very funny way, was in 3x3 room staying in the middle an repeatedly confusing him by ventriloquism, so he just wandered around the walls and was very simple target :). I found ventriloquism extremely useful skill because it can make some tough fights make a child play - your oponent simply does not get time to hit you. Is somebody using it also?
Excrucior
Registered user
Lord of Harhar

Last page view:

6337 days, 8 hours, 23 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 at 15:32 (GMT -5)

For your first question, no, there's no way to learn them at other spots. However, you can wish for Herbalism, but not for Healing. Healing is more important (it IS possible to beat the game without either, but Healing makes a HUGE difference).

Also that tactic sure is interesting =p.
Meowalaboom
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5451 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 at 15:45 (GMT -5)

You can get by without herbalism. Without healing, you will die unless you have candle. With spenseweed you COULD manage it, but it would require loads of farming. That's why I play chars with herbalism/healing/both.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 11 hours, 37 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 at 20:53 (GMT -5)

It's still perfectly possible to farm herbs without herbalism - the only problem is that they'll be cursed, so you're best uncursing them before use.

As for the confusion tactic against the Ancient Chaos Wyrm, I have heard of people effectively using potions of confusion against him, but not ventriloquism. About how long did each confusion last? Normally people take on the tower around level 25 or later I think - it depends on the character and what equipment they have, hp levels etc.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Elerius
Registered user

Last page view:

6374 days, 10 hours, 56 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at 03:41 (GMT -5)

Well, it depends. with ventriloquism at 100, one sucessfull confuse will last 1-3 rounds. But if you apply stacking tactics, for example 5x subsequently apply ventriloquism, then it may last up to 5 turns (7-8 for weaker monsters). I usually do it like 2x ventriloq., then 2x hit on berserk mode, then again 2x ventriloquism. This way usually prevent 90 percent of attacks...
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 12 hours, 19 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at 04:16 (GMT -5)

Morgia roots work even if they're cursed.

In my last game, I played the ToEF at level 20, even before doing the Water Temple. I didn't confuse the ACW, but drenched him with wands of cold and poisoned him with Serpent's Bite.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at 07:19 (GMT -5)

Yeah morgia works. Stomafilla, Spenseweed don't work. You can uncurse everything else, but those don't work best unless blessed.
-My brother
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 11 hours, 37 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at 08:12 (GMT -5)

I personally prefer my stomafilla uncursed rather than blessed - means you're not stuck on bloated all the time.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at 10:38 (GMT -5)

Curaria mancox and alraunia antidote CAN work when cursed, but you'd better have several of those with you in case they fail.

moss of mareilon, in fact, is the only herb that is beneficial when uncursed, but the contrary when cursed; the others just lose lots of their usefulness.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5147 days, 17 hours, 31 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at 13:31 (GMT -5)

Blessed stomofillia is good to sac for precrownings. But uncursed is most often the better food.

What is not mentioned yet is that farming without herbalism you will not see the status of the herb bush, and you will empty a full bush after 3 pickings, while with herbalism at 100 you can pick a bush 10-ish times (its random). So farming takes longer without it.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at 16:43 (GMT -5)

You can survive farming that takes longer. Healing that takes longer will possibly kill you.
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

5679 days, 3 hours, 13 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 at 03:15 (GMT -5)

Farming isn't really necessary. My first guy to win (and several who made it very far) never used farming and I still honestly haven't bothered with it. Gold and other crap for sacrifices isn't too awful hard to get, and once you hit the arena food troubles are over. Plus I ALWAYS take Treasure Hunter so people are spewing items upon death like demented arcade machines.

Healing, on the other hand, is a necessity. Especially as you hit higher levels you don't want to be standing around on D:37 watching your skin turn purple while you heal at some abysmal rate. Healing at 100, the Heal 20% faster talent, and items of regenation/rapid healing are a must. You want to be able to build up decent HP in just a few rounds and be back to full in not-too-long. Save healing items for when you're trading shots with someone who gives out 40-120 at a shot.
Battle Bunny: "Ach, maybe his Christian altar was stepped on.
By a moloch."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/12/2006 at 03:18 (GMT -5) by Red October]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4155 days, 16 hours, 54 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 at 04:29 (GMT -5)

herbalism improves your stats. indirectly ofcourse. dex, to goes to 30 on herbs. stomacemptia and devil roses lets benefit from giants longer. and gives load of spenseweed.

at d:37 i usually have a couple sources of regeneration. this and spenseweed makes healing not so interesting atthat point of game.
generally healing is very nice at begining, middle that's why i prefer to get it chaotic way. you get a lot of better healing from mad doctor then jharod to start.

in general healing is not to have or die. just there is no good reason not to get it.

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 at 09:12 (GMT -5)

Ok, I am personally a fan for both, and I would usually take healing. But, herbalism makes nearly any game a win. With herbs, you get willpower toughness, and dexterity to 30 with no real difficulty. Plus, spenseweed can make up for lack of healing. Blessed stomafilla allows you to get 2 precrowns without running around ferrying guys to the altar. A chance for a good weapon, or good armor helps ALOT. Healing, loses it's value mid game. Healing one point every 5 turns, (or less if you use ALOT of trolls blood), is nowhere near as good as 27 in one turn. Or, for regen things 1 point per 1 turn. I mean, get any real character, go through the UD without healing. You have two prayers, run from anything that could kill you, and find some herbs. Once you get spenseweed or morgia you can pretty much take anything.
-My brother
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5994 days, 2 hours, 15 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 18:29 (GMT -5)

I just cannot play character who starts with none of these skills.. One of them is a must to have, just to get the second one from a quest.

I'm a sissy, right?
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 20:41 (GMT -5)

Nah, that's actually how I play. Really annoying how I can't do weaponsmiths...
-My brother
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4155 days, 16 hours, 54 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 22:20 (GMT -5)

and i am just trying an assassin without ever getting healing or being born in candle.

from my last four deaths none has come because of healing. Just old RNG tricks and my stupidity.

at lv 12 char attemts to reach other stairs in SMC, which are fifteen steps away. "Suddenly some monsters appear of nowhere".
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: