Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Monks, Beter Than Beastfightrs

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6130 days, 15 hours, 17 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 03:35 (GMT -5)

Just seeing if this would go out of control like it usually does :P
ps, Monks rock! and are so much uber cooler than beastfighters, so there! :O
*<< Words go here >>*
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 10 hours, 39 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 06:40 (GMT -5)

Monks are certainly a lot more versatile. they don't match the raw power of the beastfighter, but they more than make up for it in other areas.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
_elerius
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

Well, beastfighter is my favourite, so lets flame :), why exactly is monk better?
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5147 days, 16 hours, 33 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 11:03 (GMT -5)

Spellcasting ability for one thing.
Instant kill is fun.
DV bonus better.

But I like beastfighters too.

Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5451 days, 3 hours, 40 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 14:10 (GMT -5)

Ok, I gotta say I like beastfighters in beginning, and have yet to really get a monk far. (I think healers > all these guys though). Beastfighters have herbalism. They have loads of hit points (negates morgia somwhat). Can be burdened. And last but not least, they are 1337.

Monks, take alot of work. They have no herbalism. Really frail at early levels, and have to be below burdened. Later on, they can get herbalism, get some DV (can only use robes to get it though..?) and make somewhat good casters. Also have literacy.

That's aside from other skills like dodge and find weakness. I personally like beastfighters, but I want to win with a monk.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5994 days, 1 hour, 17 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 16:57 (GMT -5)

Tried a dozen of monks.. None of them survived over lvl 12. I dunno, it is either a stone block, a heap of instantly surrounding spiders, a pit viper trap or a damned dark elven lord...

In the mean time, my current beastfighter - his name is GRRR!!! - is lvl 16 already, completed dwarven elder's quests except portal, and is heading for dwarven cemetry.

Hits with criticals two out of threee times, has a total speed of 139 (Raven+10, Athetics+8, Quick+very quick+5, ring of speed +5.. damn were do these extra +10 come from???), etc. Starting without literacy is not that scary after all..
Ubi patria ibi bene!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/16/2006 at 16:59 (GMT -5) by Nchurmdaz]
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5983 days, 7 hours, 7 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

Nchurmdaz, your extra +10 may come from the Athletic skill. I think it increases your speed.
All your base are belong to us.
Kaos
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 22:42 (GMT -5)

OK.

Monks can learn spells, awesome deadly handy dandy spells.

Monks kill with a single hit.

Monks get find Weakness.

Monks get an all round attack at Lvl 6.

Monks have undeniable style.

Monks can use weapons without sucking poo.

Monks start with healing, so can get herbalism from Druid.

Monks don't have to bother carrying a heck load of armour and weapons.

And i just plain dont like Beastfighters class abilitys.

'I summon...a cave bear!'

'Rargh, i do better damage against beasts!, oh no! a Balor!'

BUT.... I will now go and try a Beastfighter, just so as i can have a balanced view :p
Elerius_
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 at 06:57 (GMT -5)

Beastfighter can learn spells easily too, my last beastfighter had full screen of spells and 200 PP. Deathrays, identify, remove curese, no problem :). Just need obtain concentration some way if plan to use magic more often.

beastfighter start with both heal & herbs, so can choose quest.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5147 days, 16 hours, 33 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 at 07:14 (GMT -5)

Cave bears are almost useless yes. Unless you need a pet to do some dirty work and can't afford a scroll of familiar summoning.

Monks move faster, they get 600 energy movement, beastfighters 700.

Instant kills against humanoids are somewhat rare, but its a lot better than stunning monsters. I once lost a god beastfighter to a greater moloch i unhappily stunned. Because you lose predictability on where the enemy moves when stunned.

+6 str and to is good, at that points in the game it really makes you better. -10% chaos...hm.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 11 hours, 21 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 at 19:37 (GMT -5)

For the Find Weakness, simply play a dark elven or orcish beastfighter; dark elven because they also get Alertness and a spider shell armor to start with. (And because they don't suck ass at spells as much as orcs.)

Voilá, you've got a beastfighter with an awesome skillset who'll hand in your feeble monk. (Okay, he ain't literate, but that'll get fixed soon enough.)

Note that beastfighters start with both Healing AND Herbalism compared to monks, who only get Healing. This means they can obtain the ultimate skill of GARDENING from the druid!!! <--- (note the awesomeness!)

(Or, alternatively, the wand of cold and the book, while the monk has to choose Herbalism.)

Let's cut the sarcasm. In the endgame, monks may be the better fighters, but at the beginning of the game, beastfighters are probably easier to keep alive because of their higher toughness and strength - (And, if you play dark elven, better armor). Their level 6 poison resistance can really save the life of a PC unlucky enough not to get spider corpses, and their great stack of starting food makes up for the lack of the food requirement lowering.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5451 days, 3 hours, 40 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 at 18:22 (GMT -5)

Ok, I just started a monk. The beginning was tough but he prevailed. He is currently level 18 or so and is rocking the house. Spellcasting ability isn't all its cracked up to be. My learning started at 12, so I trained it up to 21. Sometimes I can learn teleport, somtimes I have trouble with Frost bolt. Also, I don't find many spellbooks except for a shop (very annoying how it generated an artifact when I wanted a precrown...). I like monk walking thing (I got SLBs but don't need them much). Being un-burdened is kind of tough, but I just train up ST. I like monk skills, my guy has a speed of over 130 (if I wanted I could easily hit 150). And so I can outrun nearly anything. My guy currently does 1d27+16 on normal.Plus, the DV rocks. On coward, he still has +25 or so to hit and 80 DV. Kind of annoying with armor (no mummy wrapping). My mana is jumping by leaps and bounds by book casting things. So, I think the monks are tough but can be dealt with and in return ROCK!!
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
monk
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 at 03:16 (GMT -5)

and also, you can kick in walls, YAY!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3761 days, 19 hours, 23 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 at 09:32 (GMT -5)

Heh. I think it has to do with playing style--some people's styles are better for Monk, some for Beastfighter. I favor spellcasters, myself.
Die Gedanken sind Frei

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: