Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / YAVSD

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

elerius_
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 at 03:30 (GMT -5)

Yet Another Very Stupid Death.

Ok, this one is ~extremely~ stupid :). 'Elerius' was lvl 19 beastfighter, I had 7lb, preserver, bracers of war, mummy wrapping, ankh, 2 precrowns + crowning, teleportation spell, teleport control, khelavaster saved, and about 200 - 300 herbs. And forgot to drop stuff before stepping onto ice bridge on red water. GRRRRR! I had full life, 267, but ended with -18. I think I will not play this again for some time :).
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5620 days, 9 hours, 12 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 at 03:44 (GMT -5)

Been there, done that. I too lost a promising char to exactly the same goof. Another YAVSD I've had is when I was tackling the mana temple with the help of a greater earth elemental working as doorstop and cleaner. I was worried of SoA running out so I opened the spell page...and accidentally mistyped, casting some ball spell instead of SoA. Oops ! Consequently the char had his ass handed over to him by the (now very experienced) GEE...
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 at 07:48 (GMT -5)

I did the ice bridge one myself!

I remembered to drop stuff, went and opened door, let out the king, then retreated away, firing missiles and spells on the run. After he died, I went and GOT my all my stuff THEN went to collect ring.

Argh.

Never done the pet thing, I'm very afraid of pets (door traps and stuff) so I rarely use them. I save familiar summon scrolls for D:50. Besides Pets steal my exp, dont want that.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 at 08:14 (GMT -5)

Molach: remember you cannot take pets from D48 to D50 (due to the ice level) and a freshly summoned pet is likely to be quite inexperienced in D50 and thus will be quickly dispatched.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 at 08:40 (GMT -5)

Actually - I tend to get GEE pets. And they work just fine in tandem with your character, even if new. Innate regeneration and PV-ness. They don't take harm from corruption or aging attacks...
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 at 03:40 (GMT -5)

Well, yeah. They are useful in cleaning up the crowd but IME freshly summoned pets in D50 are no match for the Big Guys there (balors). I've summoned GEE's in D50, only to have them torn apart in no time by the balors. But for clearing up the starting rooms they ARE indeed useful.

I'd estimate a greater moloch pet might also be useful in D50. Though they are slow they are also tough, hit like a ton of bricks and adjust to the power of the PC so for a level 50 PC a greater moloch pet might stand some chance against balors.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5032 days, 5 hours, 12 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 at 04:44 (GMT -5)

i always use wands of door creation to lock off two of the rooms. that tends to help too, unless your GEE goes in by himself.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 02:03 (GMT -5)

Just thinking: if one had a pile of SoFS by D50 one could ease the burden of clearing up the level by summoning some pets to clear up those chaos mutants/WMoPC's/ghost lords etc. AFAIK GEE's are not affected by corruption, have decent regeneration, are tough and hit hard. But even they may not be match for those pesky balors. Probably no pet short of another balor or greater moloch can stand up to them.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 2 hours, 57 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 at 19:40 (GMT -5)

I had a balor on my side once while clearing D:50. He got his ass kicked by two other balors. At least he didn't go down without a fight. ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 at 07:07 (GMT -5)

Why did you let him tank two balors? If you had tanked one then he could have lived.

Tank = receive monster's attacks.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 at 08:04 (GMT -5)

My charisma sucked ass. I didn't want to seriously use him - I just thought it would be nice to have familiars on D:50 to help get rid of the masses. To be exact, I was even afraid of my balor - He could've turned on me!

He did kill one of the hostile balors before dying, though... resulting in me only reaching lvl 48 after clearing out D:50.

Besides, seriously, I was a barbarian at that time. Barbarians sneer at pesky battle tactics!
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Noob
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

Sorry if this has an obvious answer, but why can't companions cross the ice level? Couldn't a GEE throw rocks if you got it angry, so it would propel itself in the right direction? And I also imagine that the banshee doesn't walk,supernatural entities typically float.

Just thought i'd throw that out there! :P
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5891 days, 10 hours, 27 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 at 18:00 (GMT -5)

Sounds great, except if you make the GEE angry, it kind of defeats the point... :P
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Noob
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 at 19:05 (GMT -5)

That's what berzio potions are for, and music, since GEE's are considered Pets, not companions, so therefore can be tamed. I need to test this though.....provided that I can make it that far in the game....lol
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 04:59 (GMT -5)

Problem: Corners. How do you want your greater earth elemental to throw a rock against the wall of a corner?

(Wait: pickaxes solve that problem... Remove that wall, propel yourself in that hole, and let the elemental throw rocks at you...)

(Argh, I don't use companions anyway, so why should I care?)

Anyway, will the GEE be able to follow you once you are on the stairs to d:50?

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: