Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Any challenges left?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 at 03:21 (GMT -5)

For those who don't follow the google ADOM forum, there has been some fascinating discussion over the last week or so regarding the Eternium Man challenge - long considered impossible to accomplish. Well, it has finally been completed by Barry Kearns and recently replicated without the help of pets (I won't post all the details regarding how this was done given the spoiliness involved - anyone who wants to know can simply read the google threads).

I have long considered the Eternium Man challenge to be the last great ADOM frontier. Sure, there are plenty of other testing challenges like Brimstone Man and more restriction challenges than I care to list. But the Eternium Man challenge is in a different league of its own.

Witnessing the completion of the Eternium Man challenge is a bitter-sweet experience. It is an unbelievable accomplishment. Yet, for me, it also eliminates the last shread of ADOM mistique. What else is left to discover or achieve as part of an ADOM community?

I appeal to all ADOM Players - especially experienced die-hards who have achieved every ending: Is the completion of the Eternium Man challenge the death-knell for ADOM with respect to communal pioneering?
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6131 days, 10 hours, 52 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 at 06:06 (GMT -5)

give us link to characters story/proof thingy- id like to read about it
*<< Words go here >>*
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 at 06:20 (GMT -5)

If you are asking for links to the successful completion of the Eternium Man challenge, here you go:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.adom?lnk=rgh
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4156 days, 11 hours, 31 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

it is still left Zen Monk. If that one would be beaten i would be totally shocked.

saying that i admit - Zen Monk is possible at least in theory.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5451 days, 23 hours, 15 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 at 15:40 (GMT -5)

Zen monk is carrying no more then 100 stones right? Some guy did it (I think). You could always try doing Eternium man without gremlin scumming. But yeah, this is starting to mean ADOM is getting beaten. I can't wait until Thomas Biskup gets around to finishing Jade. He hasn't posted doing any real work on it sadly.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5620 days, 13 hours, 11 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 at 16:01 (GMT -5)

IIRC Zen monk was completing the game with a permanently blind character (using the new mud room effect). Too bad it is not possible to permanently blind the char right in the beginning but one needs to first find such a special room.

IIRC the 100 s limit was carbon fibre man or something like that.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4246 days, 6 hours, 14 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 at 16:50 (GMT -5)

I assume perma-blinding is normally achieved by heading straight to the infinite cave then?

As someone said, Eternium without gremlin scumming/wish engine still remains a possibility, but I think that really is so close to impossible it won't be done. Brimstone remains a big challenge though, since those tactics can't be readily used. It's still definitely possible though, and something that will be achieved at some point.

As for the whole despair over ADOM losing its mystery, I don't think so. Most people don't even do the challenges - there's only a handful who have completed the original IronMan challenge (farthest I've gotten was around 30 with a gnomish elementalist). A lot of us (myself included) have yet to even win the game after many many years of playing. Plus there is always the hope of a JADE or a new version of ADOM in the future.

Hmm, I wonder if this challenge had been thought before: BugMan - go directly to the bug cave and stay there till level 50. No gremlin scumming allowed (though pets are allowed - I think it'd be impossible otherwise).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Noob
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 at 18:41 (GMT -5)

Can someone tell me what the eternium and brimstone man challenges are? Though isn't eternium the one where you stay in the ID forever?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 at 19:14 (GMT -5)

Eternium: Go directly to small cave. Don't leave till you're level 50, then go straight out of the Chain. (always considered impossible because of how hard monsters there get, but last week Barry Keanes declared completion of it, and there's been a few more since emulating his technique)

Brimstone: Go straight to the Tower of Eternal Flames avoiding all encounters (as long as you escape and kill nothing that's fine). Without leaving the tower get the orb, then leave the chain. As yet uncompleted. (hard for numerous reasons, not least the fact you burn to death pretty quickly without the requisite resistance - do some searching on Google Groups though to see some noble efforts)

IronMan: Go straight to Infinity Cave. On each level you must head straight for the down stairs (no hanging about or exploring and such). Keep diving down to the spoily level, kill the spoily guy and get the spoily artifact, then go back to the surface and leave the chain. Very difficult because the monsters increase in levels far faster than you do.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 at 23:00 (GMT -5)

there is a save file for Zen Monk, considered to be standard.
The part of blinding and getting back to start point was already done. somehow i can't remember link to a file, but checking google groups should help.

edit: bugman was done. at least in version in which bugs don't see invisible.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/4/2006 at 23:05 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 at 01:47 (GMT -5)

Thank you to everyone for sharing their thoughts.

I guess I am just jaded (no pun intended) that this is the end. Eternium Man was the last challenge I had any remote interest in. Brimstone Man, Bugman, Ironman, Zen Monk . . . yes, these are all very difficult challenges. But they don't have the same legendary status in the ADOM community (IMHO) as Eternium Man. Eternium Man was *IT*. "Quoth the raven: Nevermore".
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 at 17:33 (GMT -5)

Meh, it will still carry a good deal of weight if you can beat the Eternium man without gremlin scumming. Zen monk... would be possible, it would just require alot of ID scumming and 2 shields.
-My brother
Soirana unplugged
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 at 00:21 (GMT -5)

you surely now - char still hits nonhostiles even with two shields. so i' d say better dualwielding corroded heavy weapons.
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 at 16:20 (GMT -5)

Are you sure? That's how you are supposed to get past animated forest, wield two shields and you never hit them so you don't make as many enemies.
-My brother
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 at 18:04 (GMT -5)

ok. i was wrong.
i was kind sure of opposite. considered it being one of myths.

Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/6/2006 at 19:27 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5795 days, 21 hours, 44 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

another rather good challenge - obtain the platinum girdle, then win normally.
i'm sure someone has completed it already, but it is really difficult and worth tryin
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 12 hours, 8 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 at 06:45 (GMT -5)

For me there are plenty of challenges left. I'm not masochistic enough to try eternium man, "wilderness man" or brimstone man seriously. But I'm thinking about the Ironman challenge not being totally unrealistic. Just very very unlikely. Also the lithium man - goto CoC, nowhere else, do flameplace when you need to, and win - would be a challenge, but not impossible.

First I might try a variation on Ironman - simply to enter ID, get the spoily, then get out and go home - but without the immediate descent, and even with possibility of going up a level. This should mostly be a test of patience.

Then there is the atheist man - no use of altars, no praying - for a decent challenge.

The platinum girdle - yeah this will be kinda hard on me, being as I'm a truly evil person, but mabye I could try to lay off it for a game.

Also, for me a challenge would be to win with every class, something I'm pretty far from.
I got beastfighter, wizard, archer, monk, merchant, mindcrafter so far. Plenty more to win with...
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 6 hours, 56 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 at 16:42 (GMT -5)

How about:

- No herbs
- No gremlins
- No rings of weakness
- No eating bug corpses for speed
- No ID

Still trying to win the game. Good luck.

I know it's not nearly as hard to do as Eternium Man or Brimstone Man or the like... But methinks people out there scum too much - someone should show 'em you don't need to. Not me, of course. My abilities are too limited to actually go for any challenge game.

My class win list includes Archer, Fighter, Wizard and Barbarian. I nearly would've added a Healer to that list recently, but I forgot to equip an amulet of death ray resistance in the Temple of Mana.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/9/2006 at 16:46 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 at 18:05 (GMT -5)

I could win with that, fairly easily except for herbs. I had two chars get to D50 without herbs, but hone got skullcrusher as random drop with his only luck (orcish barbarian, no questions there). and an archer(ezy pzy) my herbed characters with precrowns have made it there. Then again I don't play easy classes so, that challenge would be hard for me. I never do the other stuff (have eaten a few bugs or two, no serious ID). One time I tried gremlins crashed a promising healer.

Edit: If you really want to prevent scumming like that, have it so you can never pick up si. I could imagine you sitting around in arena for days on end waiting for it to multiply eating cooked lizards.
-My brother

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/9/2006 at 18:09 (GMT -5) by Cat Lord Lord]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 at 18:50 (GMT -5)

There's also little challenges to add into the normal game, like trying to complete before the corruption time limit, or trying to get the kitty ring (we all know that frustration).

Oh, and then there's the challenges that are never really unbeatable, it's just a matter of scoring higher, like the LongDiver challenge (get as deep as you can into the ID, normally after closing the gate - no wishes allowed throughout your game) or the Eternal slayer challenge (kill as many Eternal guardians as you can, though I think people got bored of this once they found it wasn't that hard with the right character).

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: