Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Thieves suck(i think)

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5769 days, 19 hours, 51 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 at 09:23 (GMT -5)

Can anyone tell me a good strategy for getting a thief past the beginning of the game? I also don't know if I should be chaotic or neutral, chaotic sounds like what a thief should be though....and what kind of weapons should I use?Daggers?Swords?I'm pretty crappy with thieves and assasins, don't understand em...
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 at 10:11 (GMT -5)

I don't think I can give you any spectacular insight, seeing how I suck at thieves too. Generally, they're frail in melee (low HP, hardly any good armor), but since they get archery and high dex, missile weapons could be nice. Otherwise, use backstabbing if possible. Use pickpocket ability to steal yourself some decent stuff.

Assassins are somewhat easier to play, since they get nice melee skills, have good skill in throwing daggers and can use poison. Yet, they share the low HP value of thieves, so missile weapons should be used.

That doesn't make them any easier to play, though. Elven assassins (thieves as well, maybe) start with elven chain mail, which is a nice bonus.

Starting out non-chaotic isn't bad for a thief, you'll get chaotic soon enough. You could try getting Healing from Jharod first if you play high elven thief or the like.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5833 days, 2 hours, 13 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

Random steal from a mob just in the other game:
"You steal a sword of sharpness!"
I love thieves.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5450 days, 22 hours, 56 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

Yeah, thieves are pretty bad. If I wanted to get one far, I would play as a gnome. Main reason is ventriloquism. Get up near an enemy, pick-pocket, ventril then kill. I would say use swords, simply because they do more damage.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5833 days, 2 hours, 13 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 at 14:13 (GMT -5)

WTF? Ever tried Needle+Sting?
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5890 days, 14 hours, 7 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 at 00:59 (GMT -5)

And you can't forget phase daggers.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
thedrin
Registered user

Last page view:

6023 days, 9 hours, 15 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 at 02:50 (GMT -5)

Thieves are one of my favourite classes - at level 32 they gain one of the best class bonuses. I treat them as regular melee classes that need a little more care early on - hurthlings for their rock thrwoing ability are what I use.

Make sure to make use of their ability to unlock and [i]lock[/i] doors. This makes them one of the easier classes for navigating the SMC at the beginning of the game.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6326 days, 20 hours, 34 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 at 07:52 (GMT -5)

Thieves are actually nice if you roll yourself 3 starting talents (4 if you want treasure hunter) and go for heir. Adamantium dagger of penetration beats phase daggers 10-0 and it makes your early game alot easier. Hurthlings are good for those rocks, gnomes good for ventriloquism. Both have a one downside which is low str, but it's the easiest stat to get high very quickly.
Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5927 days, 5 hours, 59 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 at 20:09 (GMT -5)

to the guys with the needle+sting idea..

thieves do NOT get double wielding as a skill. thats assassins.

Thieves are really nice, but the second an acid trap hits you, and you lose your dagger...you die, whether by the trap, or by a monster on the same level that you can't otherwise damage w/o the penetration.

as far as thief starting talents go, I usually go altertness, the avoiding traps one, and the disarming traps skill (nothing sucks more than disarming a trapped door by the fireball trap going off).
then level 3, miser, level 6, treasure hunter, level 9, healthy, and level 12, quick, 15, very quick, and I rarely get thieves past 15...the graveyard is E_V_I_L, but then agan, I hate training up missile weapons and stocking up on arrows/bullets/bolts/boomerange-skjuars.
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4155 days, 11 hours, 12 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 at 21:45 (GMT -5)

mechanically inclined talent? that sucks. i can't remember disarming frireball trap in my entire Adom carreer. either you bypass door, open it magicaly or leave it. later being the best.

and i hardly remember losing adamantium stuff to acid traps.

very quick is also nearly wasted chance to get yourself beetter. that is roughly equalent to one quickling, greater claw bug corpse and not prerequisite. i'd prefer long stride at some point.

level9 healthy? well yoiu should have healing already. you might even have herbs already. i would say no unless something very bad is going on.

skill for dual wielding is sort of guaranteed one.
comes in complect with backstab and tactics.

and training missiles is so damn important unless you are wizard.

crimson king is right, hurthling thiefs with heir dager are serious thing.

and personally i do dwaven graveyard after pyramid. stupid habbit, but no spellcasters don't really need anything from there.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
netlava
Registered user

Last page view:

6035 days, 14 hours, 38 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 at 23:19 (GMT -5)

Theives are indeed tough. Since their dex is so high, I just use missiles to kill everything. I've tried many races with theives, and I've been the most successful with dark elves since they get find weakness and a crossbow. Hurthlings should work too if they can find some rocks quickly (or die if they can't). I do not find the heir dagger too helpful since theives are bad at melee, esp. early in the game, with heir dagger or not.

Note that assassins are MUCH easier. I find them one of the easier classes in the game.
Snwo aval ten

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/5/2007 at 23:22 (GMT -5) by netlava]
thedrin
Registered user

Last page view:

6023 days, 9 hours, 15 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 at 04:07 (GMT -5)

No need for the mechanically inclined talent. Disarm traps is brought up to 100 very easily. Even then it's not quite fool proof but it's good enough.

I played a lot of thieves having read this thread a couple of weeks back - hurthling thieves that start with neither healing nor herbalism. The one that went after Keethrax rather than Yriggs is the one that fared the best. Without the healing skill or being born in the month of the candle my paranoid mind was not going to let me not take the healthy talent. (He died to a game crash when handing Khelavaster an amulet of life saving).

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: