Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Max HP increase - known?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5142 days, 1 hour, 20 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 at 19:38 (GMT -5)

This should come with a did everyone know this - note. But I didn't, and mabye someone else had the wrong idea. Or mabye it's just me.

Anyway.

My earlier belief:
One can increase MAX hp by drinking blessed potions of ultra or extra healing. One has to be near or ON your current max HP for this to happen.

Now this is actually pretty wrong:
You can increase MAX hp by drinking ANY kind of blessed healing potion. Regular healing give +1 roughly half the time, and nothing other half.
Extra healing give +1 always(well 5 out of 5 times). Ultra healing give +1, +2 or +3, roughly same amount of time (testing 70 showed 40% +1, 30% +2 and 30% +3, too low sample I guess).

Also, your current HP has NOTHING to do with anything, max increase happens anyway, and yes you get +3 increase anyway. And yes even if drinking potion did not take you up to max.
(i.e. I saw 280(827) -> 614(830) enough times)

And blessed extra/ultra healings both seem to heal for 334 points (level and stats and max HP unimportant). Normal blessed healing potions do 11-17.

I looked in on the ADOMgroup and found many misleading posts there, so I guess mabye someone else might be unsure about this...

Anyway this leads to a few things I'll correct when I play from now on:
As soon as a source of healing (high piety, herbs) is found, bless all your regular healing potions and drink them.
Always drink a potion of ultra healing before extra healing. (Both are equal for emergency healing if you want to save for this, and Ultra gives better max HP for your character)
If my starting char has both herbalism and healing (or neither) then take the village leaders quest (save carpenter).

Last point because the healer on level 4 will give you a blessed potions of ultra healing everytime you heal a hurt monster (which was not directly hurt by you) if your healing is 100 (if it's not at 100 he will increase the skill dice and give you a blessed stethoscope, useful too)

Now, healing monsters you need a spell or be a healer class, but hurting them is easy enough:
Alarm trap generated
Other traps generated
Pet, slave
Random nonhostile monster can be generated (the kind which makes game promt "Are you sure you wish to attack a large bat y/N?" when you walk into them

I used my necromancer to make a slave in the room, then kept using summon monsters so it had plenty of things to attack. Got bored after collecting 100 potions, but even 10 early game could be a huge benefit.

So, was all this very old news? I did play nethack a little a year or two ago, and mabye my superstitions came from there. But now at least I know.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 43 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 at 01:38 (GMT -5)

i've just tried blessed regular potions of healing. 4increases from 20potions either this depends on current hp or chances are lower then 50/50
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 20 hours, 8 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 at 04:04 (GMT -5)

Bye bye, Keethrax quest.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 at 07:35 (GMT -5)

yea I mentioned this before about getting infinite ultra healing potions from jarod, didn't know about the normal healing potions increasing your max hp though.

I have the idea that the max hp increase works more often if your current hp is below your max, but I duno why. also I think potions of extra healing dont give extra max hp 100% of the time.

and are you sure potions of extra and potions of ultra healing heal the same amound of hp? thats odd.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 10 hours, 51 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 at 09:16 (GMT -5)

its true with a low hp character. With a 300hp character PoEH won't fully restore your health.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5142 days, 1 hour, 20 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

Amount healed:
I only tested characters with over 400 hps, so room for error there. A lvl 25 char with 450 HPs got 334 every time, a lvl 50 char with over 800 got 334. But I didn't test mid-low chars (didn't have any, only used real chars for this). Advice is still drink Ultra first though. Either just for HP or for actual healing. I always end up with a nice bunch of good healing potions anyway, so I'll guess I'll just quaff most of my ultras right away.

A further test of 100 blessed potions of healing gave increase in 39 cases.

I did test the max HP from ultra healing potions quite a bit, and max hp gain was not connected to current hp in the sample I did (which I'll agree is still too low)

And I only tested 5 blessed extra healing potions, but all healed 334 (natural HP regen sometimes made it 335). All also gave +1 max HP, and I think someone on the google group said so as well.

The guidebook does say that Ultra and extra give "a few" max hp when drunk "when uninjured". So I guess this data should be updated to include regular healing, and erase the uninjured part.
jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

5707 days, 10 hours, 12 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

While the subject of healing is up I have a off topic question. The healer class healing bonus,(say a base of 20) is that like 4 times faster as in I heal 4 hp per 20 rounds or is it like I heal 1 hp in 5 rounds? And if the later is the case are healers limited to the 5 limit? sorry for going of topic
"THE TH TALENT SUCKS!!!!!!" - Gut
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5025 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 at 02:42 (GMT -5)

jeremiah, i'm guessing it means the healing bonus kicks in more often since if you drink a potion of insight, it says "regain 1 hp every x turns"
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 20 hours, 8 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 at 08:24 (GMT -5)

The regeneration that is displayed by drinking a potion of insight hasn't got anything to do with the Healing skill, but rather the natural regeneration a PC has. It is dependant on the race of the PC (trolls have the highest regeneration, i. e. lowest amount of turns to heal) and can be improved by eating troll corpses or drinking non-cursed potions of troll blood.

For the Healer's Healing bonuses, I can't say. I'm still recovering from my orcish healer who went into the Mana temple without death ray resistance.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: