Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / The Return of the Heroes(IC)

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 4 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 13 hours, 49 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

Thurgin carefully observed Tarindil’s battle, but only occasionally looked upon the other fights.

Being a Dwarf, he did his best to examine the stone and craftsmanship of the arena. To his surprise, it seemed quite corporeal. It consisted of numerous granite blocks. The craftsmanship was foreign to him however.

“Slightly Elvish perhaps with some seemingly Orcish accents. Half of the designs do not resemble anything I have ever seen.” muttered Thurgin.

He paced back and forth across the part of the platform he could traverse, tapping lightly on the stonework to glean whatever information he could gain.

When Lawf’okong returned, Thurgin elected himself as the next contender.

Algor met him on the field. Thurgin spat. The Human chuckled. The battle began abruptly, both contestants beating at each other with learned forms and variations, both landing hefty knocks to each others shields, blocking, and kicking each other’s shins. The Dwarf was the first to use his legs as a weapon, saving himself a nasty blow by using the element of surprise. Algor reciprocated, but Dwarves are built stockier than Men, and Algor got the worst of it. He made up for this by moving much faster than Thurgin. It was not because Algor was faster, although that was a factor. Something else was at play.

Thurgin eventually had to take numerous hits due to Algor’s speed. Algor hammered Thurgin into a chair. He twisted the chair to block Algor’s advance on his vulnerable position and stood up. Algor threw the chair at him.

“A rather useless move on your part.” Thurgin taunted.

“Aye.” Algor replied as he tossed a table.

This would have been useless, had Algor been slower with his axe. As it was, Thurgin was knocked over with Algor’s axe imbedded in his flesh. Thurgin thrusted upwards weakly with his axe. Algor wrenched it from his grip with spiteful effort and struck down. Thurgin tried to use his shield, but he was not fast enough. A large chunk of his arm was sliced apart.

“Useless.” Algor said.
Thurgin freed Algor’s axe from his flesh and prayed. His wounds were healed, and his strength returned. Algor’s axe was both lighter and stronger than his own, it was made of Eternium. Thurgin had never had the honor of wielding such a fine weapon. With it, he outmatched Algor.

“Yer axe certainly isn’t useless.” Thurgin said smugly. Algor turned white.

Still it was some time before Algor lay dead upon granite floor. Thurgin surveyed the scene trying to find some piece of new information before he turned to leave, tapping his axe lightly on the stonework as he went.

"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/28/2007 at 18:33 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5052 days, 19 hours, 7 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

Five of the companions had stood tall against their enemies and now only one was left. Ramirez looked at his friends with a sense of pride in his heart. Kranach would now pay dearly for his crimes, his games and most importantly, his mistakes. He stripped off his shirt and tossed it on the ground. The light of the torches on the walls reflected off his well defined torso. He left his equipment piled up on top of his shirt, bar two of his daggers, the phase dagger and the dagger of death. Nodding to each of his friends, he approached the stairs with a sense of peace, and waited for the force field to lift. The air shimmered in front of him, and he stepped down into the arena of demise.

The dirt crunched beneath his boots as he walked across the courtyard. The dead bodies of the previous fights still littered the scene and he cast his pale eyes over each one of them before he finally looked up to see Kranach standing at the other end. The raider lord stood with his legs crossed, leaning back against the wall. A smirk played across his lips, trying to put on a display of confidence in order to instil some sense of doubt into Ramirez mind. The assassin paid the raider no mind for the moment and bent down. Grabbing a small handful of dirt, he rubbed the grit into his palms in order to prevent his hands from sweating in the upcoming encounter. Finally, he looked back to Kranach.

“So then Kranach. Your game looks to have backfired this time. Five of your friends are dead, and all there is to do now, is to add your body to the tally. So tell me…..are you ready to die?”

Kranach laughed out loud and ran a hand through his closely cropped brown hair. “Ah Ramirez, you make me laugh. Do you really think I’m afraid? So you managed to defeat my lieutenants. They weren’t my friends, nor were they very talented. Once I’ve disposed of you, I’ll take your companions down one by one and then take my leave of you all. The troll looks weak after his magical encounter, the elf has a damaged leg, the orc is too slow in his feet, the dwarf couldn’t reach me with his short little arms and the gnome is practically unconscious on his feet from all the alcohol he’s consumed. Ha. Easy pickings.”

This time it was Ramirez who laughed. “Think you so Kranach. Then why don’t you seem eager to get this fight underway? All you have done so far is shown your cowardice. SO come coward, let us get this underway. My blades yearn for your blood.” He crouched down low, putting his weight forward on his left leg. He held both daggers so that the blades ran down his forearms. Not the way most people hold a blade, but it was the way he preferred and the way he had been taught when he was in training. Kranach whipped out his sabre, the thin metal strumming through the air as he loosened his muscles. Technically, the raider lord had the advantage, as his sabre had a far greater reach and to damage the raider, Ramirez would have to come within reach of its metallic kiss. None of this bothered him however, he knew his strategy.

Advancing cautiously, Ramirez feinted with his left arm, and then sprang back as Kranach’s sabre flashed down towards him with a speed that was frightening. Ramirez feinted once more, this time with his right hand. The sabre snaked out again and Ramirez took a step backwards.

“Tell me Ramirez, how exactly do you think to beat me? You can’t even get near me.”

Ramirez said nothing, concentrating all of his efforts on the fight. Kranach was only seeking to annoy him, to make him angry. Angry heads made for stupid and more often than not, fatal mistakes. The assassin smiled at the raider lord’s words and concentrated on finding an opening. Lunging with his right arm, he used his left to drill forward an uppercut slash. Kranach stumbled backwards at the speed of the strikes, but then shot his sabre forward to parry the left hand dagger.

“I thought I couldn’t get near you?” mocked Ramirez with a smile on his face.

“Curse you assassin,” muttered Kranach. Switching his sabre from his left arm to his right and launching an attack that seemed to be coming from all directions. With no long blade with which to parry the blows Ramirez had to duck and dodge everything coming his way. Throwing himself to his right, he rolled under a lunge and then sliced his dagger across Kranach’s leg, only to feel the raider’s sabre slash across his own back. Both fighters turned back to face each other, perspiration running freely down their faces. The battle raged on for several minutes, Kranach using his sabre to bully Ramirez backwards at every opportunity and Ramirez seeking to use the counter attack on any small slip up the raider made. Both fighters were tiring visibly. The raider lord’s attacks were not as fast and as furious as they first were and the assassin no longer managed to retaliate at every opportunity.

Ramirez decided on a gamble, running head on at Kranach, who pointed out his sabre thinking the death blow, would be his. However he had forgotten the advantage of Ramirez daggers; they could be thrown. At the last minute, Ramirez veered to his right, the sabre’s point slicing across his torso and leaving a lengthy bloody streak. The assassin ignored the pain and threw his phase dagger with a powerful stroke. The blade flew through the air and punched into Kranach’s shoulder. The raider roared in pain and swung his sabre in an arc that would have all but disembowelled the assassin had his reflexes not failed him. Another bloody mark appeared across his stomach and he fell back to his back, rolling over and rising to his feet. Both men took a moment to catch their breath, eyes never leaving the others.

“So Kran, I hear your mother was a goat and your father an orc. No wonder you were attracted to Hotzenplotz. Flies and shit always seem to come together at some time.”

“Weak words Ramirez. What’s wrong? Don’t elves know any good comebacks?”

Ramirez staggered back under the remark.

“Wh….what did you just say?” he stuttered, his remained dagger falling by his side.

“You heard me. ELF!”

Up in the balcony area, Ramirez’ companions stood with dumbstruck expressions on their faces. Elf? What was this man on about?”

“Aye I know your secrets Ramirez. How is Lol’th nowadays? Still on speaking terms?”

“Wha…..?” continued Ramirez, still reeling.

“Games up Ramirez. The first day I saw you I had people gathering information on you. Why did the dark lord think you were all that I wondered? Well I soon found out didn’t I? The dark lord wanted an assassin, and everyone knows that dark elves make the best assassins in the world. There you were, on the run from your own race. An outcast, a freak of nature. Dark elf’s are supposed to be dark skinned yes? What happened to your skin Ramirez? I know all about the deal you made with the dark lord to disguise your appearance. Granted you skin was already pale, an unusual genetic occurrence I gather. But he disguised your ears, your elongated putrid face. You slanty little eyes. Hah, made you ‘appear human.’”

Ramirez stepped back into the wall, memories that he had spent years burying resurfacing in a huge bubble. Kranach advanced on him, his sabre pointed out.

“Everyone knows dark elves are merciless, cold hearted and as evil as they come. That’s why you made the perfect assassin wasn’t it? You were just running true to your nature. Well games up elf. You’ve been hiding in the darkness for too long now. And you know what I think? I think its time for me to put you out of your misery!”

He darted forward, the sabre’s point burying itself straight through Ramirez’s chest and through his lungs. A huge gasp escaped the mouths of his companions as they watched the action unfold. Ramirez’ eyes widened in shock and blood leaked from his mouth.

“Tell me Ramirez, what death feels like?” jeered Kranach, leaning in close and thrusting his face next to that of Ramirez’. He wasn’t prepared for what occurred next. Ramirez’s left hand snaked out and wrapped itself around the sabre. Muscles seemed to burst through the assassins skin as he bent the blade, tension increasing until it snapped. The clatter of metal on the ground went unnoticed as Kranach’s gaze was locked on the hideous expression that was now on Ramirez’ face. The eyes were glowing red and the teeth had elongated into sharp fangs. The skin blistered, scales appearing underneath which were oily and dark. Small horns grew out from all over his body. The raider lord stumbled back, arms waving, trying to escape this abomination. His body locked up rigid and he realised that he was trapped in some sort of spell. The creature that was now Ramirez stood up, the hole in its chest healing over in seconds until no mark was present. It crouched down low, an acidic vapour leaking from its lungs.

“DIE MORTAL? WHO SAID I WAS GOING TO LET MY CHARGE DIE?” the words came out in a thick stream, as though the creature’s throat was blocked with discharge and phlegm.

“Who…….who………..are you?” stammered Kranach, unaware of the wet spot that had grown on the front of his leggings and was now forming on the earth.

“WHO AM I? WHO AM I? I AM THE ONE THAT WILL CAUSE YOUR DEMISE HUMAN. YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF THE DARK LORD STORED IN YOUR TINY INSIGNIFICANT BRAIN AND I WANT IT!”

“Stay…stay away…..I’ll kill you if you come near me!” screeched Kranach

“KILL ME? HOW EXACTLY WILL YOU DO THAT HUMAN? YOU CANNOT MOVE. YOUR BLADES CANNOT PENETRATE MY DEFENCES. YOU ARE WORTHLESS, YOU ARE NOTHING!”

“I’ll make a bargain with you…….anything……anything you want…..”

“I DON’T MAKE BARGAINS WITH LESSER BEINGS. BUT SINCE YOU SEEM SO KEEN TO SEE ME GO, I’LL GIVE YOU BACK TO THE ELF. I’LL EVEN REMOVE THE DISGUISES ALHACRAST GAVE HIM SO THAT YOU CAN SEE HIM IN HIS REAL FORM. I CAN SENSE THAT HE IS JUST ‘DYING’ TO FINISH YOU OFF. BUT DON’T WORRY…..I WILL BE BACK!”

The creature shuddered and the assassin body sunk to its knees. Scales rescinded, teeth shrunk back to normal and horns disappeared. When the assassin looked up next his friends gasped. Gone were the human eyes, now in place were the cruel mocking orbs of a dark elf. His face was slightly more elongated, but not much. A haunted expression clung to the assassin’s features as he rose to his feet.

“I am going to make you pay for that Kranach. For years I kept that a secret, wanting only to leave my past behind me. You’ve just unlocked a hundred years of bitterness, a hundred years of pent up rage, anger and despair. I hope you’re ready to feel the whiplash Kranach.”

The raider lord screamed, realising his body was still locked up. The dark elf advanced on him, his dagger gleaming.

“MAKE IT QUICK I BEG OF YOU!”

“Quick Kranach?” QUICK? Oh lords no. Why should I do that? After all I want to savour this. I want to savour your screams, your pain. Or have you forgotten,I was a torturer as well as an assassin!”
A scream tore itself from the raiders throat as he realised what was about to occur. Ramirez’ dagger lunched down burying itself into Kranach’s left eye. The raider bellowed in pain as his eyes was torn from its socket with a sickening pop, body fluids streaming over his face. The assassin’s dagger swung down to the raider’s hands, crunching through bone and removing several fingers from each. The blade then sliced across Kranach’ abdomen, parting the skin with ease. With practiced precision the assassin pulled on the raider’s intestines, spilling them over his chest. Kranach’s screams became wracked with sobs, and the companions upstairs tried to avert their eyes but found themselves entranced by the whole proceedings. Ramirez left the raider for a moment, moving down to the soles of his feet. Being the most sensitive part of the body, Ramirez knew that digging a blade into the sole would cause immense pain and so……….that’s what he did. Nerves and tendons were ripped apart as his dagger went to work. Blood was pouring freely now from Kranach’s mouth and his one good eye looked on in fear as the blade came back up towards his face. Ramirez’ expression never changed throughout the entire torture, although a small smile did creep onto his lips when he started to peel off the skin on the raiders face. Then he decided to make it even more brutal by cutting away the entire cheek so that one half of the skull was exposed. Fresh screams of agony poured from Kranach’s throat and he felt himself losing consciousness. A slap to the face brought him back and he saw Ramirez peering down at him with a sick grin. The assassin knew that the raider was on the verge of death and so fell back. Kranach sobbed a sigh of relief as he started to black out once more. His single eye flickered back to the elf as he advanced once more. But it wasn’t the elf. The demon that had rendered him immobile was back. And he was hungry…..

“TIME FOR YOU TO RELINQUISH YOUR KNOWLEDGE TO ME HUMAN. I TOLD YOU I’D BE BACK!”

Kranach screamed in terror.

The demon’s fanged maw flashed down and began to feast.

He blacked out.

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 at 20:00 (GMT -5)

The others looked on sick with disgust, their minds reeling in wild confusion at the strange turn of events. “What just happened?!” exclaimed Thurgin. “What be that creature possessing the huma- I mean... ...What’s going on?!?!”

“The demon...” They all turned to Tarindil, who seemed to be seething with rage. “He is accursed by a powerful demon in his bracelet that can take possession of his form.” He banged his hand hard against the invisible barrier separating them from the arena. “Damn this magic!” He stared down at the figure of Ramirez that was now starting to stir.

“Hmm, I had suspected something like that,” said the troll, as he looked over the peculiar amulet that the mage had dropped earlier. “Though the revelation of his true race is most intriguing – I have heard of magic being used to disguise such things in the past, but never seen it done so effectively.”

Tarindil spat on the ground. “You have not seen the power of Alhacrast. Lawf’okong, get this barrier down before the damned fiend gets away!”

The troll nodded, dropped the amulet he was holding to the floor, then brought his heavy foot crushing down on it. Suddenly their surroundings changed – they were standing in a normal dungeon room with Ramirez lying on the far side. “Just as I thought. We are simply on the same level of the cave we were exploring before. The arena we saw, the barriers we felt, they were all just illusions sourced in this amulet. Traod must have put much of his power in to create it.”

Ramirez awoke from the blackness that had overtaken him, his eyes opening upon the scene of devastation that lay before him. Kranach’s bloody corpse lay next to him, the skull and chest torn open, their contents cruelly devoured. Something in Ramirez’s mouth fell strange. He coughed, and amongst the blood that emerged was a chunk of soft, pink flesh. He looked at the crushed skull in disgust. He hadn’t... had he?!

But now a new feeling was entering him. Memories flashed before his eyes, but they were foreign to him. He saw Kranach’s wife and children – he saw himself kissing the little boy and girl good night, waving goodbye to the woman as he set out. He saw himself returning to find a house filled with blood. He felt himself be captured and carried off, dragged into a cell and tortured for hours. He was filled with pain and fear, and across the torture room he could make out the source. A dark figure, wrapped in shadow, with a bright knife in his hand. The figure of horror, this merciless fiend, stepped towards him and his fear rose higher and higher whilst his throat released a blood-curdling scream. He saw then the face, and he recognised it – it was his own.

What was happening? Were these Kranach’s memories? He remembered the woman and two children, the job he had to do as Punisher for the dark lord... They cried and screamed for mercy, and he responded with absolute silence – just more victims of the Silent Butcher’s blades. He looked now on the body of Kranach, this man he had never truly known, but could now never forget. He killed the man’s wife and children, tortured him till he finally gave in and returned to work for the dark lord, then tortured him again in this cruel fight before finally... finally what? Blood was still dripping from his mouth, and though it was clear what must have happened his memories were blank.

Why had he done that? What strange force would ever push him to devour the remains of a human, no matter how much he despised them? He was confused and slightly afraid. He needed someone to explain what was happening. For once he felt he needed help... He could hear footsteps coming towards him. His friends? Yeah, his friends would help... “Tarindil?” he called out and he began to pick himself up off the ground, but he stopped as he felt the tip of a blade press itself against his neck.

“Stay down on the dirt, fiend,” came a voice filled with cold disgust.

He turned his head slowly, and up the length of a white blade he could see Tarindil’s face looking down on him, his normally benign expression contorted into a gaze of pure hatred. Ramirez was confused and tried to speak. “Tarindil, I-“ The elf kicked him sharply in the face before he could say anything further.

“Speak not my name, you vile dog!” He felt the point of the blade press against his neck again. His natural instinct was to spin away, grab a dagger, and retaliate with deadly force against such insolence, but he forced it down.

“Why are you doing this?! Yeah, I was a bit cruel to him, but he’s killed and tortured countless himself! He deserved everything he got!” But his words felt hollow to his own ears. The taste of blood would take a long time to leave his mouth...

“Miserable worm, you’ve shown your true colours, and they are dark as the depths of the earth. To think I trusted you – to think I trusted one of your accursed race!”

Then Ramirez realised – Kranach had revealed his terrible secret. “Hah, Tar- I mean, guys, you can’t actually believe what that old raider lord said, can you? Me a dark elf? Utterly ridiculous! Surely you’ll believe your old pal Ramirez?” He tried to flash them a charming smile, but he was only met with frowns and a sad shaking of Jarlgan’s head. Tarindil’s sword didn’t move.

Lawf’okong was the first to make it clear to him. “Ramirez... the magic has been dispelled. There is a demon inside your bracelet that has controlled much of your movements, and has now taken the step of revealing itself in full and reverting your body to its original form. Your elven features are unmistakable.”

The dark elf looked shocked by this sudden revelation. He stared down at the bracelet on his arm, then over at the remains of Kranach. He remembered all of the strange blackouts he’d had before, how he’d ended up in strange positions, or surrounded by corpses. All this time... had he...

As he was wrapped in these thoughts the others turned to the discussion of what to do with him.

“What do you mean we shouldn’t kill it?!” Tarindil was shouting at the troll. “We can’t trust that thing!”

“Whilst I do not condone his actions fully, I see no reason to slay him based on his race alone,” came the wise voice of Lawf’okong. “After all, you first judged me to be an enemy, did you not? If Ramirez has chosen to turn his back on the ways of others of his race then we should not treat him any differently from before.”

“Eh, me’s ‘ad plenty of dealings wif dem darky folk,” chirped in Whadar. “Dey’s good wif gems, yasee, minin’ well deep. Got good eyes for mineral depositories an’ dat. Try ta rip ya off sumtin’ wicked, but dey’s not too bad if yer knows how ta deal wif ‘em.”

“I ain’t never liked most humans much,” said Jarlgan. “Dark elves ain’t much better, but at least they’re one of us – one of the underground.”

Tarindil scowled. “But he is one of the dark ones, accursed by Corellius and Ayssia! A black snake to trample underfoot! How can we trust a whelp of Lol’th?!”

At this Ramirez looked up sharply. “I’m not a damned servant of Lol’th!” he growled.

“Silence, filth!” said Tarindil as he kicked the dark elf in the face again. “My ears will not hear any more of your dirt and lies!”

“Tarindil!” chided the gruff voice of the dwarf. “I do nay have any love of dark elves meself, and little respect for Ramirez regardless of race. But that be no way for ye to treat a defenceless man!”

“Defenceless?! You’ve seen what it just did! We should kill it before it takes the opportunity to slay us itself!” He looked around angrily at the others. “If you will not do this deed then I have no choice but to take action myself!” With that he spun on Ramirez, raising his sword to strike down. But he stopped as he suddenly heard a bone-chilling voice.

“Donnn’t beee hasssty...” He looked down and saw that flash of red in Ramirez’s eyes. “I may yyyet forget my ussse for youuu...”

“Hmph, woulda thought you were smarter than that, elf,” he heard Jarlgan say. “You saw what that demon did back there – survived a blade through the heart, tore apart a sword with its bare hands, paralysed a man and then ate him alive. You really wanna try killing him yourself?”

The demon smiled wickedly up at the elf, its features now even more demonic when mixed in with the dark elf’s true face. Tarindil narrowed his eyes but backed off and sheathed his blade as he saw Ramirez’s eyes return to blackness.

He thought a moment, an annoyed frown on his face. “Fine,” Tarindil eventually said with reluctance. “It shall live for now. We have no chains for it, not that they would constrain the demon anyway.” He drew his sword again and pointed it down at Ramirez. “Get up, lowly dark one. We will continue, but whilst I am forced to travel with you my blade will remain pointed at your cursed back.”
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/28/2007 at 20:17 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5445 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 at 20:37 (GMT -5)

"Well, our entire party is psychotic. Our human is a dark elf murderer, our fighter is power thirsty, our wizard is a troll, our gnome's too drunk to stand, and who knows what the dwarf is up to." Tarandil sighed rolling his eyes. "You forgot yourself." The dwarf replied without blinking.

"What? Me? What did I do?" Tarandil replied obviously taken aback.

"You heard me elf. How do you just "happen" to know of Alachrast? Or, just so "happen" to know about Ramirezs' demonic bracelet? You even seem to know more about it then our magic expert. Care to elaborate?" the dwarf continued, hinting at something.

Tarandil shrugged, "I know things. No harm in that eh?"

The orc nodded, "We know that. The question is, do you know more then you are telling us?"

Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 at 23:19 (GMT -5)

Tarindil raised an eyebrow at Jarlgan. "Why of course I do. What about you, orc? Didn't see much of you when we were in that mountain village last. But do I ask you what dirty dealings you were up to?" The fighter scowled, dark memories surfacing in his mind. "Truth of the matter is I don't want to know - your business is your own, as long as it doesn't affect me. Alhacrast does not concern any of you."

The dwarf was quick to interject though, having no taint on his mind. "Why did ye not tell us of the demon before? Did ye not think it would be a danger to us, or to Ramirez himself? It was careless of ye, elf!"

"Careless? You're not a fool, Thurgin, so don't speak like one. It was after careful deliberation that I kept it a secret - I didn't want to put more people in danger. The demon already threatened me, and made it clear it had no qualms over using violence to attain what it wanted. If I had told you I might have been putting you all at risk for knowing about it."

"Eh, all rights, an' who's dis Alleycrust buggeroony?" chirped in Whadar.

"Alhacrast. The dark lord of Jak-Nagiur..." They all turned around to face Ramirez, apart from Tarindil who simply hissed. His sword was still drawn and ready to use at any moment. "I served under him for a long time. He sheltered me from the rest of my race who shunned me, disguising me as a human, and I worked for him as torturer and assassin in the dark city. I did many shameful things, committed numerous atrocities, against innocent defenceless people, and even against those that were meant to be my friends."

"Only what comes naturally to you, dark wretch," said Tarindil hatefully. "I'm not sure whether to even believe a single word you've said. You've probably been corroborating with that demon all along!"

"That's not true!" shouted Ramirez furiously. "This thing is a curse upon me! An unending curse that fate mocks me with for eternity!" In anger he grabbed at the bracelet about his wrist, trying to pull it off. It glowed black and he screamed in agony, but kept on clutching harder, his fingernails digging into the skin of his arm and drawing blood, until at last the pain grew too great and he blacked out.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 13 hours, 49 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 at 12:42 (GMT -5)

Everything started happening at once. Tarindil leaped at Ramirez. Jarlgan moved to intercept, brandishing his sword. Lawf'okong brought the handle of his sword down upon Tarindil's head. Thurgin swung the butt of his weapon up, catching Jarlgan on his vulnerable jaw. Whadar just sat, swaying slightly.

"I think I'm beginning to like that Orc." Thurgin remarked.

"Thargun durnt like 'ee dark 'un methinks."

Lawf'okong ignored Whadar. "Lets get everybody back up a level." No one said anything during the task. When they had finished Lawf'okong asked "So what of Ramirez?"

"I don't know. Give me time. All I say is that the fact that he is a Dark Elf shouldn't change our decision." Thurgin replied.

Lawf'okong grunted. "That will be hard to do. Especially for Tarindil."

Thurgin shooed the quivering Loli. "What about Tarindil?" Thurgin asked, "What secrets is he keeping?"
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5764 days, 12 hours, 19 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 at 13:50 (GMT -5)

Lawf'okong replied, "I think that it'd be best if we look for that puppy.After all, do you remember the look in Ramirez's eyes when the tiny girl came to him?There must be some good inside him, I feel it.Let's go." With that they marched down the stairs and Whadar mumbled,"Me's feelin' a lil excited, don't know bout ya, but me's got a bad feelin' bout dis.."They heard loud slurping sounds, some ripping sounds, and a sad bark. Ramirez yelled,"The puppy! C'mon!"

Ramirez ran ahead, out of the reach of Tarindil's blade. Tarindil watched the dark elf run off to the sound of the puppy, vision of the demon still in his mind....

After much search, they finally found the puppy. Surprisingly, it ran up and jumped into Ramirez's arms.Ramirez spoke,"Who's a good puppy wuppy?Yes you are!Yes you are!" Just like when Ramirez had fondled the wild cat, the group looked in amazement. How could someone so mean,cruel, and evil be so nice at the same time?
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 18 hours, 41 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 09:55 (GMT -5)

But they had no time to think about such things. They had to escape quickly, because what if there was another anthill? So the company rushed to the stairways, and so they managed to get out of the cave without meeting anything more dangerous than a goblin.
There was nothing special in the journey to Terinyo. There was complete silence, for everyone was now thinking of Ramirez. What could possibly be his mission? Is he going to betray the others in their sleeps, or is he trustworthy? A difficult decision indeed. But somehow the rest - Thurgin, Tarindil, Jarlgan, Whadar and Lawf'okong - had to talk about this issue. It would be just a matter of getting rid of Ramirez for a minute or two...
The noises of Terinyo quickly sobered up the adventurers, though. The puppy was the first to react, the little fiend jumping out of Ramirez's arms and running towards the tiny girl. The girl, of course, thanked all of the company for rescuing the dog, and distributed some small things... which the company opened, but only Whadar found delicious: "Mmmm, that's bein' fine gnome candy!" and seeing as his friends looked at the candies quite sceptically, he asked for the candies, which they didn't object to. (Of course, he drank a bottle of booze after eating the snacks.)
They didn't stay long in Terinyo though. After buying some food, the team set off. They decided to traverse the caves northwest again, for it there is a settlement at the end after all, and neither the Great River nor the swamps were any better.
The first few levels flew past without anything dangerous, because even though the monsters in the small cave near the surface were tougher than average, the only serious resistance, the ogre, was still not a match for the company. Thurgin remarked though that this time the cave is different. "I have a bad feeling around this. Something is scurrying around behind the walls - or someone.
Thurgin's worries were confirmed, on the fourth level, as they were walking behind each other...
"AAAAAAAARGH!"
Jarlgan, who was walking at the back, suddenly cried out and fell down. The others spun around, and saw a horrible sight: it was a horrible demon, which looked like a human aside from the fact that he was completely dripping with ooze (not that it hurt him though, which Lawf'okong the troll sadly realised, as it rendered his acid useless) and it had horns, and lots of spikes. He began to speak in a thundering voice:
"Now that you are in a disadvantage, let me introduce myself. I am Chagra, a bounty hunter who has been ordered to kill you. And you don't need to know more than that... wait, yes, you do. Let's make it a fair game.
With this, he roared magic words, and disappeared. Suddenly five images of Chagra appeared. "Just thought I'd make this dungeon remarkable. And now try to defend yourself!" the five voices yelled in unison, and started hopping at the five remaining companions - Jarlgan would probably be out for a while.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/30/2007 at 10:45 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 23:15 (GMT -5)

In a flurry the party’s weapons were drawn as the creatures attacked. But as the demons rushed towards them the acidic slur on their skin warped and changed, and suddenly the group found themselves facing enemies that looked just like themselves.

Ramirez jumped back as he saw his own likeness attack him, avoiding a lunge towards his face. He reeled in confusion, and looking around he saw doubles of all the party locked in battle. His doppelganger attacked again, and this time he gathered enough concentration to make a stab with his knife. His phase dagger sizzled as it hit the demon’s acidic skin, and as Ramirez drew it back he saw that it had been melted down to the hilt. He swore loudly as his likeness grinned over at him, its skin unscathed. The assassin backed off slowly, still concentrating to keep a steady grip on reality.

The two dwarves and gnomes were all locked in battle together, neither Thurgin nor Whadar knowing who was who. Lawf’okong was blocking his duplicate’s attacks with his obsidian shield, and seemed to be trying hard to see through the illusion. Jarlgan still lay unconscious.

Tarindil looked at the elf that was standing before him and frowned. “What foolery is this?” he asked.

“I am you,” came back the reply in his own voice. “You cannot hurt me, for that would mean hurting yourself. We are one and the same.”

Tarindil laughed. “Nonsense! You’re nowhere near as handsome as me!” The creature scowled as he rushed towards it, sword drawn. The mithril blade sang as it whirred through the air, and sank into the demon’s flesh undamaged. As the sword was stuck in the creature’s shoulder Tarindil cast a spell, sending flames out of his hands and along the length of the metal. The creature screamed and flailed as the scalding hot metal seared through his flesh, but Tarindil put down pressure so the blade sunk deeper and deeper. It burned down through the doppelganger’s chest until it reached the heart, and the screams stopped as the demon slumped down to the ground, smoke and the smell of burnt flesh rising into the air.

Lawf’okong stumbled as his mind spun in circles. He had the strange feeling that the creature before him was him, and that he must be the enemy, some horrible little troll that had attacked the great mage and must be punished. He fell to his knees and his shield clanged to the ground in front of him as the demon approached. He looked down as he prepared to receive his fate from the mighty wizard Lawf’okong, when he saw the creature’s reflection in the shiny obsidian shield in front of him. It showed not a troll standing before him, but the spiked acidic demon Chagra. He roared with anger as he realised what was happening and rose quickly to his feet, casting a spell at the enemy. A bolt of freezing energy flew from his hands, overwhelming the demon in front of him. Chagra seemed to move slower, its oozing skin starting to freeze over, and the troll cast the spell again, and again, and again. The demon was now fully frozen, and Lawf’okong gave it a gentle push. It fell over and hit the ground, smashing into a thousand tiny frozen shards.

Thurgin and Whadar were still fighting each others’ doppelgangers, and had extreme trouble finding their bearings. A crossbow bolt hit into Thurgin’s shoulder, and he charged at Whadar, who dodged out of the way, leaving the dwarf to run into a wall. Whadar looked over at the other dwarf and gnome, and glanced back at the one that had just attacked him. He wasn’t sure what was going on, but he knew what the solution was. He took out a potion of booze and downed its contents. Feeling clearer (or at least merrier) he took out his crossbow and fired repeatedly at the two in front of him, but the bolts deflected off them. “Eep, damn dese buggeroonies! Where’d dat old beardy guy go? Me needs more beer, an’ dese two don’t looks like dey’ll give me none.” He turned around and ran towards Thurgin, who was in a daze next to the wall. “Getees up an’ get yer axe out, ya daft bugger!” Thurgin looked up at the gnome shaking him and shouted in anger. He rose, drawing his axe, aiming for the little archer’s head, but Whadar dodged and jumped behind him. “Not dis buggeroony, ya daft buggeroony, dem buggeroonies!!”

The two doppelgangers were advancing towards them. The gnome levelled his crossbow, aiming at Thurgin’s heart, and fired. But Whadar was quick to react, swinging his crossbow up and shooting, hitting the other bolt out of the air. The monster hissed in fury and the other dwarf advanced with his axe ready. Thurgin started swinging his weapon wildly in the air, with the little gnome behind him trying to shout instructions and push him the right way. The doppelganger grinned, and with a powerful strike knocked the axe out of Thurgin’s hands. Whadar yelped as he saw the creature raise its own axe, and he dropped down onto the floor in fright, covering his face. He heard the swing of metal, and the thud of flesh hitting the ground. Slowly he opened his eyes and saw Thurgin’s face lying in front of him, a crimson puddle forming around the severed head.

He looked up and saw Jarlgan standing over the dwarf’s corpse, blood dripping from his sword. Thurgin shook his head to get out of his daze and looked down at the unsettling body lying in front of him. The other gnome fired his crossbow and hit Jarlgan on the back of his shoulder. The orc simply grunted and turned around, advancing on the demon. He reached up and tore the bolt out of his shoulder, tossing it aside as the wound healed over, leaving a small scar behind. The gnome tried firing again, but Jarlgan deflected it with his bracers, and now readied his sword as he cornered the doppelganger. With a mighty stroke he brought the blade down hard, shearing through the monster and slicing it in two.

Ramirez was smashed against the wall by his double, the creature now punching him hard and repeatedly. He tried to dodge, but the assassin’s normally perfect reflexes were now failing him. He saw the face of a dark elf attacking him, and he felt almost paralyzed. He imagined the sound of spiders, the dark elves crying in their underground tongue, the sting of poison and their cruel laughs. Haunting memories were flooding through his head and immobilising him. But no... he couldn’t let this happen... How he hated them! How he hated himself!!

He screamed in fury and pushed the monster back, then flew at it with a flurry of punches. His knuckles stung as he hit the acidic flesh, but he kept going, wanting to beat the life out of this image of him. The creature roared and grabbed him by the throat, and with immense strength launched him back against the wall. The pain was becoming too much and his vision was blurring as he heard an elven cry to his left. He looked up and saw a figure of whiteness running towards them, a beam of light gleaming from his hand as it hacked through the doppelganger’s arm. It struck again and again in fast succession, slicing through the monster’s flesh and tearing it to shreds.

Ramirez blinked as the haze left his eyes, and he recognised the white hair and pale features of Tarindil in front of him, dark blood dripping from his bright sword. The elf was trying to catch his breath as he stared down at the doppelganger’s corpse. Ramirez was about to say thank you when Tarindil cursed and spat down on the body. “Got the wrong one...” he muttered. He turned a cold look to the dark elf. “Would have thought you’d be the one winning the fight.” Ramirez gazed in shock at the body beside him. The left arm had been chopped off first, the one that would have held his bracelet, and the rest of the body was cruelly butchered beyond recognition.

Suddenly all the bodies melted into sizzling puzzles and a voice echoed around the room. “Well done, well done!” came the voice of the demon Chagra. “You are the first to have passed the test. I’m sure you will be very worthy of my master... Perhaps we will meet again when you see him.” Lawf’okong suddenly felt ancient magics converge around them, and a small papyrus scroll appeared at their feet. Thurgin picked it up, but struggled to read the strange hieroglyphics. After some effort he read aloud:

“HEROES, I AM WAITING FOR YOU. VISIT MY PALACE IN THE ANCIENT PYRAMID FOR A MEETING. COME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!”

“It be signed ‘Rehetep’,” said the dwarf.

Lawf’okong suddenly gasped. “Rehetep?! That cannot be!”

Thurgin raised an eyebrow inquisitively. “Ye know this man?”

“Yes...” said the troll thoughtfully. “From a very long time ago. A very long time indeed... We must find this pyramid immediately. If what I think is correct then it is vital we find Rehetep, and stop him.”

“I know where the pyramid is,” said Tarindil. “I passed it on my way to see the Mad Minstrel. It’s south-west of the secret passageway to the High Mountain Village, next to a long road. I kept well away though – the area was surrounded by skeletons and mad chanting monks.”

Lawf’okong nodded. “We must go through the village and get there then. However, I think after that battle we could all do with some rest for now.”

The others agreed and they set up camp in the room, locking the doors and starting up a fire. They ate some food, but the mood around the party was very subdued. Neither Ramirez nor Tarindil were their usual chirpy selves, the assassin seemingly in a depressive slump and the bard short on temper. Loli kept quiet, fearful of his master’s wrath.

After everyone went to sleep Ramirez quietly got up and gathered his things. In utter silence he picked the lock on one of the doors and crept out. He walked down the corridor, and was about to climb up the stairs when he heard a sword being drawn from its sheath. He turned around and saw Tarindil pointing a blade at him.

“Where are you going, fiend?”

Ramirez sighed. “Since I’m not wanted round here I’m off to kill old Hotzy. I still have a score to settle with him. Don’t interfere...”

“I don’t intend to, beast. However, I’m not letting you get away from me. Not till I have a chance for revenge...”

“What?” said Ramirez with a frown. “Up until yesterday you were my friend. But now you want revenge against me for something?”

“Aye, that I do. Hmph, perhaps you don’t remember all those years ago, back before your true face was disguised. I saw you Ramirez, when you murdered Kamivar just so you could steal his golden flute. I saw your hideous face and I have never forgotten it!”

Ramirez was shocked. He remembered back then, back before he’d ever been to Jak-Nagiur or become the Silent Butcher. He’d heard about the golden flute that the leader of the Guild of Music owned, and out of greed and daring decided to steal it. He remembered running from the scene with blood still on his dagger, the flute in his other hand and elven faces all around him hatefully shouting “dark one”. He’d taken two down when he was disarmed by a young elven man. In desperation he’d thrown another dagger at him and ran. But he remembered that face properly now, the aqua blue eyes and silvery-white hair... “Oh gods...” he said quietly as he looked now at Tarindil’s face.

“I still have the scar on my ribs,” muttered the grey elf. “It took the best doctors a week to counter the poison. I was lucky to live. But you... you don’t deserve such luck you cowardly thief!”

Ramirez’s eyes widened in realisation. “So that’s why you hate me so... But Tarindil, I’ve changed since then! I’m not a cowardly thief any more, and I’m not a merciless assassin either.”

Tarindil laughed scornfully. “Didn’t seem that way to me when you fought Kranach.”

The dark elf shook his head sadly. “That... was different. You know what it’s like when you want revenge. Fighting with Kranach brought me back to the old times, back when I was the Silent Butcher...” He looked Tarindil in the eyes. “Do you know why I stopped doing that? Do you know why I left that accursed city? Let me tell you a tale...

Many years back I came to Jak-Nagiur. I became the Silent Butcher, the one that did all the dark lord’s most important jobs. I wasn’t high up, not like the prince, nor was I even very well-paid, but I was respected, and feared. The name came from when I worked as a Punisher – one of the dark lord’s torturers, something we did to teach people a lesson for disobedience. Others used to taunt victims, some even gave in to their screams of mercy, though that type didn’t last long in the city. Me, I always worked silent, ignoring all their screams, not even letting out a grunt or a sigh as I carried on with the job at hand. I was the Silent Butcher, cold, cruel and merciless, and the title kept over when I became an assassin, feared in every house in the city.

Hotzenplotz was my senior at first, taught me a lot of things, about poisons that caused pains and inflammations, about how repeated stabs against the sole of the feet were one of the most painful things you could do to someone. Kranach was a victim of my skill once – he tried to get away from the black city, said he couldn’t do it any more, had a family to think of. Well, I dealt with that... Killed his family, tortured him till he gave in and came back to work... One of my most shameful acts, in a long line of terrible memories.

Well one day I was given a mission, to kill King Dorelan and his family. Dorelan was a city to the north that was trying to organise the surrounding nations to combine forces against the black city. Our lord obviously wanted to stop that. He also... well he also wanted a sacrifice. A nasty job I sometimes had to do... I was to bring back the young princess to be sacrificed in the Temple of Fiends – dunno what Alhacrast used it for, but it was some sort way for him to gain power. He always used young people or children.

I broke into the palace without too much difficulty, silently disposing of the guards. I got to the royal bedroom and killed the king and queen. They begged for mercy, but I... they were just more victims, like so many before. Then I went for the girl in the next room, to kidnap her. I found her standing by her bed in her nightdress, a young child. She must have heard the screams, and seen the blood all over my hands. When I came for her she trembled in fear, but didn’t run. She just looked at me and said “Please”.

Well... that stirred something in me. I didn’t know what at the time. But I grabbed and gagged her, and tying her up I threw her over my shoulder and escaped. The whole journey back to Jak-Nagiur my mind was wracked with guilt. I felt sorry for the little girl, felt terrible about the job I was doing. Looking back now, maybe it was Kranach that put the seeds of dissent in me... But they were not yet fully blossomed.

I got back to the city and was met by some men from the temple. I felt uneasy giving her over, but... it was my job. One of them, Brontas, took her gag off, telling her to scream, laughing and saying it was a pity the dark lord wanted his sacrifices clean. But she didn’t scream... She gave him a dirty look and spat on his face. Hah! Can you imagine that? A little girl doing that to big Brontas? Well, he didn’t like it, responded with a slap that near broke her jaw. That’s when I snapped.

It took two seconds to slit his throat. It took less than a minute to kill all the others. Then I snatched the girl and ran. I stole a horse, and killed the guards at the city walls. Within half an hour I was riding out on the plains towards the nearest safe town. When we got there I found someone who would take the girl and bring her far away where the dark lord couldn’t get her. I paid a lot of money to ensure she’d be safe, selling all my daggers to get the necessary gold. That’s why when Kranach came with a recovery party I couldn’t put up a proper fight, and was captured.

I was dragged back to the black city and put in the hands of Hotzenplotz, whose job was to torture me in the most terrible fashion and then kill me. And torture me he did – never have I suffered such excruciating pain as I did at his hands. He scored my feet with deep cuts, grinded sandpaper against most of my skin, and left me with gashes all over my body. I remembered the little girl though... and I didn’t scream, as much as Hotzy wanted me to. Maybe I felt I deserved it after all the atrocities I’d committed...

In the end Hotzy gave up on torturing me, seeing that he couldn’t get what he wanted. It came time to kill me, so he and a bunch of his goons starting kicking me to death. I felt my ribs breaking and one of them punctured my lungs, making blood spurt from my mouth. That’s when I blacked out.

I woke up several days later out in the desert. My wounds had healed, though they’d left terrible scars. I also seemed to have a sword wound in my side that was bandaged up. I still don’t know what happened to me those few days... I managed to make it to a nearby town and get back on my feet, but I never went near Jak-Nagiur again.”

Tarindil looked thoughtful, taking in this information. “That doesn’t mean I can forgive you for what you’ve done...”

Ramirez nodded slowly. “I know. But... I just want you to know that I’m not like them, not like the rest of my race. No dark elf would ever give up his life to save a human child.”

“But what if you’re lying?”

The assassin looked up at Tarindil. “You just have to believe me.”

The grey elf shook his head. “I cannot do that... not yet...”

They both sat in silence for a while before Tarindil finally spoke up. “Why then did you leave your race?”

Ramirez winced slightly as old memories resurfaced, then sighed and shook his head. “That I’ll have to tell you later. Right now we gotta go back for Hotzy, before the others wake up.”

Tarindil nodded. “All right, but I’m still watching you.”

The two climbed up the stairs to make their way through the dungeon, whilst Loli snoozed peacefully on the bard’s shoulder and the rest of the party slept the night away in their rooms.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/10/2007 at 07:13 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 04:47 (GMT -5)

Lawf'okong stirred in his sleep, dreams from long ago in his past...he found himself outside a construction site, where thousands of slaves worked to build a monument to the world,but more importantly, a man. Lawf'okong walked over to the man in charge of the operation, a young stout man, who had an air about him of royalty."Lawf'okong!"the man spoke,"Long have I seen you in these parts!How do you like my future resting place, friend?" "I think that this is a foolish idea, Rehetep, of immortality. Even my order has not devised such methods as these."

"Your order!?!?What would your order know about such matters?You only care about the matters of the world, not the ones who care for the world, yourselves! I have spoke to the one eternal, the eternal guardian, and he has told me of many things...one of them being immortality, and its good and bad effects...." "So what are these bad effects of immortality?""I will not look the same if you ever see me again Lawf'okong, I will be but a faint image of my self today. I will be wrinkled beyond description, cracked beyond repair, but, I will be alive...and that is good enough for me." "You still do not know whether this plan will work! You have seen the eternal guardian, surely he spoke of the High Kings! The price for cheating the Reaper is one that is much greater than you think!" "I have grown weary of your worrying Lawf'okong. Leave me while my slaves do their king's work...""KING!!!How dare you call yourself king! You stole the ankh from your father, killed him, and drank his blood...I know of such things, they come from the Black Tome of Alsophocus, the book that has made you mad." "Maybe so, maybe so. But I will live while you will die, I will live while you will die...."

Lawf'okong woke up, shivering. He knew what he must do. Rehetep had woken, needing new blood to sustain his life. There was one who possessed this blood, but he shall not die.....

He whispered to the gnome,"Whadar..wake up!"
"Git way frem me, lil boogeroony!"
"Come, I have beer for you, this way!"
"Aye, why didn't cha say so? Jus let me get me crossbow....I'm ready!"
"Shhh!!!Follow me...."

Lawf'okong led the little gnome behind him as they ventured on a long trip to the pyramid, for he knew that Whadar's talents could prove useful in the pyramid...
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 05:03 (GMT -5)

The way to the pyramid was quite boring. Since it was the night, some monsters were asleep. Then again, most were not. Though when Whadar started singing drunkenly, about two dozen hobgoblins scurried there to strike down upon the two companions not very fit to each other.
"Eh, what did you do now, Whadar?" Lawf'okong hissed.
"Chill's out brutey, dat's be no problem!" Whadar yelled and he quickly released a few quarrels here and there. Five hobgoblins fell, the rest ran with full steam.
"Well, honestly, that wasn't bad," the troll grunted, seeing how fast Whadar did all this.
"Nah need to thank, Whadar's be always eager to help!" the gnome yelled back, as he went to retrieve the quarrels. He also lifted out a little toy from one of the carcasses - a red dagger. Now this could prove useful for blocking flames, and Whadar must have thought so too, because he packed his old dagger away and put the red one in the sheath.
As they approached the huge stone pyramid, Lawf'okong suddenly whispered as silently as he could, quite difficult for a troll: "Watch!" He lifted the gnome forward and sat down himself. There, before the Pyramid was somebody familiar... Chagra. The demon, who summoned reflections of himself earlier, must have fled to leave the dirty work to the dopplegangers, Lawf'okong thought. "But if I'll ever meet him again, he'll be dead." he muttered, shaking his head to Whadar's query.
Chagra got out a scroll from a small bag-like thing and muttered some words. A black gate appeared, which the bounty-hunting demon walked into. After this, the gate closed.
"Me supposes we'd should do dat same stuff then." Whadar lifted out a papyrus scroll from his pockets. The troll tried to ask something, for which the gnome just answered, "Thurgin was sleepin' when Whadar got's this. Lucky thing this be eh?" Lawf'okong perfectly understood what Whadar was saying, so he asked no more and sat down next to the gnome who was standing on a rock to let the troll read as well.
Soon enough, they figured out what they had to say. Lawf'okong didn't want to yell this aloud, because these were necromantic words, which he despised, so Whadar chirped the magic words to open the pyramid.
"So, me guess this's be trouble time!" Whadar cried, as he took a swig of booze and loaded his crossbow.
A few minutes of undead-crushing later, as the troll and the gnome cleared out a room:
"Is that all? I thought Rehetep would at least try to save his skin - or what he still has, by guarding himself."
And then from a corridor behind them came a loud roar, unmistakeable:
"NO. I think it is time to face you now. But let's even the odds again."
Chagra yelled and a dozen of different undead, from zombies and skeletons to even a lich rushed to surround them.
"Let's see if Rehetep needs to destroy you personally. Probably not."
"No, Chagra. You are wrong. You are weak and you can do nothing to save YOUR own skin. You have come here to die and you will be given death. Now, Whadar, let's show them!"
Lawf'okong, in a fury, lifted his mighty weapon, a staff, for he didn't have time to pull out his sword, and swiped around. Three undead creatures fell. As an answer, Chagra roared some words, and fired a blast of flame at the troll. He ducked, but hit Whadar in the back.
"Aaaah, my bolts' be burnin', help!" the gnome jumped, but then quickly had an idea, the sorts he could always have in his drunken stupors. He lifted a bolt and targeted the lich among several other undead with it. The burning bolt instantly destroyed the magical creature.
"And now's yer turn, big buggy sewer-head!" Whadar taunted, as he released two burning quarrels at Chagra.
Chagra yelled and got angered so much that he didn't notice Lawf'okong sweeping at him with his sword he pulled out. Miraculously, the sword didn't corrode, and that was because he hit the burning wound! The troll, favored by Ka'Omsh, struck again and again, about eight times until Chagra finally fell.
"There you go, filth. Now do not mess with us again. Come on, Rehetep won't be so easy." Whadar objected a little about the "easy" part, as he didn't exactly think Chagra easy either, but as Lawf'okong looked furious, he set off with the troll finally. Finally they found a long staircase upwards, in a really thin room. It was clear that they were at the top of the pyramid. But what would await them in the topmost chamber, other than lots of mummies?
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/2/2007 at 12:14 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 at 13:43 (GMT -5)

The old elf was walking to a cave. It started to rain, and the sky turned black. There was a screech, as if the heavens had been ripped asunder. Suddenly, a black torrent of darkness shot into a hill not a mile away. A roar erupted from it, and a great wyrm exploded from the hill, earth flying everywhere. It was blue… then red… then… everything. The beast turned its great eye to her, and charged towards her.

Thurgin awoke from his dream, sweat poring over his face. The dream had been running through his mind all night, he could see it every time he closed his eyes. The time before he woke up the dream continued. The wyrm attacked the crone, and slaughtered her. After the wyrm flew off, small creatures walked over to what was left of the corpse. They reached in her pocket and found a small bottle, filled with light. They scurried into the darkness, laughing maniacally. A voice had appeared and said, “Find my light to destroy the clouds within.” The dwarf looked around, wondering what had happened to the torch, not bothering him because he could see in the dark.

He stood up and looked around. All six of his companions were in their blankets, so he wondered what happened. Lawf’okog had been on the watch last… and he would have kept the flame up. Looking at the trolls’ blankets he noticed the huge center of the blankets didn’t move. He rushed over and threw aside the covers.

Inside the covers were a few rocks. Cursing, Thurgin looked at the former human, the elf, then the gnome. Last he looked at the orc. As he pulled aside the covers the orc shot up with a fist at his throat. “Die insole-dwarf? What the hell are you doing? I thought you were some damn animal, making all that noise.” The orc looked around then said, “Where’s everyone? Are they-” then looking at Thurgins face he cursed, “Damn it! Leaving us. They better have a damn good reason.”

The dwarf rubbed his throat, noting never sleep near the orc, and said, “I dunno, they probably just went to do something quick.” The orc nodded, and then replied, “And I suppose being rich is one of them? I woke up a few minutes ago and noticed all my gold was gone. As well as my sword… if it was that dark elf… he’s gonna need every god he can get his hands on…” Thurgin looked around, then felt in his pockets. Cursing dwarven obscenities, he noticed a lack of his gold and his scroll. “What do we do now? I sure as hell ain’t waiting for them, they’re all in on this. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re drinking ale toasting their success…”

The orc hurried over and packed his few things, and stuck his three clubs in his belt. The dwarf questioned, “Where the devil are you going?” Jarlgan laughed and replied, his voice quivering with rage “Anywhere, to kill something. As of now, I don’t care what.” The dwarf put his hand on the orcs pack, saying, “Listen, I’m going to find a dream. I could use another stout arm, feel like coming?” The orc replied without thinking, “Dreams are as good as anywhere. Where is it?” The dwarf nodded and told him about his dream. Sighing, Jarlgan said, “We’re going… to find a light? Guarded by little furballs? Should be easy…” The dwarf laughed, and packed his things. Within a few hours they were back on the plains.
-My brother
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 at 14:41 (GMT -5)

As Lawf’okong and Whadar climbed the steps, Whadar asked,"Who be dis Rehetep buggeroony?" "He is a king, since he killed his father. His life force is preserved by the ankh, the royal family’s heirloom. But the ankh is not enough. In order to regain his rule and power, he needs the blood and skin of someone who has walked with the makers and changers of Anarcadia, titans." "Den why are we here, Lawfo?" Lawf’okong stared down at the marking on the palm of his hand…"Because I am one of them. I have lived for over a thousand years,Whadar. I have preserved myself with my knowledge of herbs and potions. I have paid the price for this long life though. My power is but a tenth of my original. I was part of the wise council, back in peaceful times. Rehetep was our leader from the east, being a cousin of the High Kings. He desired the same power as the Eternal Guardian, which is eternal life. He killed his elderly father, who was preserved by the power of the ankh. I have the blood of the ancients, thus making my blood sufficient for his body. His skin will crumple to dust by the 90th day of this year, and my skin also meets the requirement."
Whadar stared at the troll, realizing that he stared at a very wise but sad troll."So what’s ye want me to do?" "Do you remember back down on the previous floor, when you shot the flaming quarrel and it destroyed the undead?" "Aye, dat buggeroony was covered in fire!" "I need ye to shoot those at Rehetep’s guardians, and to shoot the other beings, and I know of a place where you can shoot them from…" He did not finish his sentence, for they both found themself in a large chamber, filled with statues that seemed to be surrounded by power, and two statues of the guardian of the royal family, Anubis. Between the two guardian statues was a throne, and in the throne sat a figure wreathed in wrappings, very ancient wrappings. Realizing that their presence had not yet been detected, Lawf’okong whispered,"Whadar, you see that little hole right above the throne?""Aye, I do. What about it?" "That is where the royal treasury is, and inside it are many treasures. Now do you want to fight or get rich?"

Whadar thought for a moment,"Eh, me’s runnin a lil low on booze, so me gonna get the treasure, eh old Lawfy!""Thank you, Whadar, I knew I could count on you. Just run by the statues when I give you the signal."

With that they both marched forward, and when they were in the center, Rehetep’s eyes flashed open, revealing a fire inside the eye sockets,"LAWF’OKONG, ANCIENT ONE FOR COMING FREELY TO OFFER YOUR BLOOD! I DO NOT HAVE ANY USE FOR YOUR LITTLE FRIEND, THOUGH. I THINK THAT MY PET WOULD HAVE SOME FUN, PLAYING WITH HIM.COME, ZARFARG!" Suddenly a large Dorn Beast came charging out of a secret passage behind the throne, making a loud,’Hurumph’, sound! Lawf’okong said, "Shoot it in the eyes, otherwise you’ll be paralyzed….take care of it then get the treasure." Lawf’okong shouted,"REHETEP, OLD FRIEND, YOU HAVE BEEN CORRUPTED BY THE EVIL IN THIS LAND, SO IT IS MY DUTY TO DESTROY YOU!!!!" Rehetep smiled, a very evil smile that revealed the cockroaches that poured out from his gaping mouth,"MINIONS!!!HEARKEN TO ME!!!!"

The sound of metal grinding and squeaks surrounded the duo, as the ‘statues’ came to life! The Jackal Demons awoke, spears ready to impale anyone who would harm their king.The battle had begun.

Whadar took a swig, then shot a quarrel into one of the Dorn Beast’s eyes, causing it to writhe in agony! As it ran by, he scrambled onto its back, riding it almost like a horse! He managed to set his whole quiver on fire with a torch, and shot flaming arrows into the mummies and the Dorn Beast, making them howl with pain as Lawf’okong shot acid at the golems, which didn’t penetrate their defenses. Luckily Whadar had Zarfarg run by Lawf’okong, having him run into the golems just as he fired one last flaming quarrel into the beast’s other eyes, setting all 64 eyes aflame. Lawf’okong yelled as he thrust his sword into a Jackal Demon’chest, "Go to the treasure! It may help us!" Whadar nodded and fired one last quarrel into Rehetep’s posterior as he ran by and climbed into the hole in the wall, leading to a tunnel. He crawled for a little while, and finally came to a large stack of gold, among it weapons and items that were older than the hills! Meanwhile Lawf’okong wasn’t having too good of a time. He had just killed a jackal demon, two iron golems, and the last mummy, but still was dealing with an iron golem and the other jackal demon while Rehetep sat on his throne, laughing."SO YOUR FRIEND WENT TO HELP HIMSELF TO MY TREASURE.FOOL!YOU ARE BY YOURSELF, YOU HAVE NO HELP, YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS!" Whadar heard these words as he stuffed his jacket with gold and quarrels. It made him extremely angry to hear the moans of the troll, who was obviously in pain. He quickly grabbed a dusty tome, and crawled back up the tunnel, forsaking the treasure for his friend. Rehetep was still laughing while Lawf’okong was being stabbed by the Jackal Demon’s spear when all of a sudden a quarrel landed itself in the demon’s head, instantly killing it.
All of a sudden Whadar came out screaming while firing quarrels into the golem, which somehow penetrated it’s armor. With a long screeching of metal against rock,it fell against the wall, never to rise again. Rehetep sat still, grinning still, even though he was outnumbered. Whadar fired two flaming quarrels into the mummy lord, and all of a sudden Rehetep was in flame! He stood, and with amazing speed, was by Whadar’s side and threw him into the wall nearby, knocking him unconcious."I HAVE UNDERESTIMATED YOU, OLD FRIEND, I SHALL ENJOY KILLING YOU AND TAKING CONTROL OF MY KINGDOM AGAIN!"
"Really, Rehetep? You’re on fire, so you’re going to burn up pretty soon like your friends.""THIS IS NO ORDINARY WRAPPING, IT CANNOT BE DESTROYED." All of a sudden the flames were out.He continued," IT PROTECTS ME FROM FEEBLE BEINGS SUCH AS YOURSELF!" Rehetep leaped forward with amazing power towards Lawf’okong, punching him right in the jaw, blood dripping from the wizard’s face. He parried with a stab to Rehetep’s chest, bugs crawling out at a rapid pace, desperate to get out of such a dirty place, that even bugs hate it. Rehetep grimaced at the pain but threw several punches, knocking the win out of Lawf’okong. He responded with several streams of acid, knocking several holes straight through the mummy’s body. In a desperate attempt, Rehetep threw himself forward, latching himself on Lawf’okong’s face, in the hold of death, hoping to bring Lawf’okong down with him.
Whadar’s vision came back finally, and he saw Rehetep suffocating Lawf’okong with his body! Whadar picked his best quarrel that he found, an obsidian quarrel, and fired it with amazing accuracy right into the skull of the mummy lord. Lawf’okong threw the wrappings, all that was left of Rehetep off his face in disgust.Whadar picked out his quarrel and said,"Dat was it? Oh well, was hopin fer some more action, but let’s go get the treasure out of dis place…" Lawf’okong trailed behind him, amazed at the gnome’s ability.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/2/2007 at 16:56 (GMT -5) by nOOb-mAsTeR]
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5052 days, 19 hours, 7 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 at 09:07 (GMT -5)

The wilderness was quiet that night, as the two elves left their sleeping compatriots in order to undertake another mission. Ramirez was still practically silent, his face creased in continuous thought as countless atrocities passed through his mind. He lifted his hands and stared at the pale skin that covered them. Cast out of his own homeland because of a stupid technicality! It wasn’t his fault he had white skin. Blame elf genetics. Blast them all to hell!

Tarindil walked next to him, although slightly behind as he still didn’t trust Ramirez. A whole society’s worth of hate was brimming in his head, countless stories of his youth resurfacing about the cruelty of his dark skinned cousins. Added to that, he had already seen what Ramirez could become. One minute a jovial light hearted elf, the next minute a raving blood craving maniac who was obsessed with death, and with an added demon to boot! And on top of all that, he had seen the dark elf at work when he was a youngster. How could anyone like this abomination!? And Lawf’okong and Thurgin wanted to keep him around. How stupid were they? Couldn’t they see that this elf wasn’t to be trusted? He would surely kill them all if it were profitable for him.

They continued onward, crossing plains forest. Neither of them spoke, which suited Tarindil just fine. In the sky over head, two birds spiralled around each other in dance, riding the air thermals to other locations. The sun decided to rear its majestic head; its white gold glory rising from behind two clouds that bore a resemblance to a snake eating its prey. The darkness of night started to be replaced with a fiery red, which caused Ramirez to stop in his tracks and turn his head across the landscape. He stared at the view with awe on his face, trying to breathe as lightly as possible in order to capture the moment. Tarindil halted behind him and took the opportunity to study Ramirez further. Here was a creature of darkness, and yet, here he was admiring the sheer beauty of the world.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” murmured Ramirez ever so silently; for fear that his voice might cause the entire scene to disappear before his eyes. Tarindil was about to snap back at him, asking whether Dark Elves actually had feelings; but decided against it. Instead he took a step forward so that he and Ramirez were on equal footing, and stared at the scenery as well.

“Aye……..it is,” he whispered back.

The two of them stood for several minutes, their eyes fixed forward on the beauty of nature that unravelled itself before them. Tarindil’s keen eyes picked up movement in the far distance, a lone farmer and his horse crossing over a hill, ready to face the day with renewed vigour and purpose. Movement to his right shifted his gaze and he saw Ramirez spin around and move away to a nearby outcrop of rocks. Tarindil took another look at the rising sun, and then followed him. The rocks were set in a circle, by chance or by other means they knew not. An unlit fire had been left in the centre, as was customary to do in the wild. A couple of the rocks were tall enough to provide ample shelter from the weather, and a hollow beneath one of the boulders provided enough cover for someone to ride out even the fiercest storm.

Ramirez lowered himself to his knees and bent over the unlit fire. Pulling flint, steel and a small tinderbox from one of his many pockets, he waited until the air was still and struck the flint. He did this several times until one of the sparks caught itself in his char cotton and started to smoulder. He picked it up and gently blew on it in order to help the flames grow. It started to burn more readily and he nestled it under the pre prepared wood, adding small twigs and leaves to it at first until it was ready for larger kindling. Minutes passed and soon a roaring bonfire was lit.

Tarindil sat and did nothing, still trying to work the dark elf out. He watched in silence as Ramirez pulled out several small packages from his sack and set them down. The dark elf looked around the campsite and then got up. He moved over to a small branchy bush and tore off three lengths of wood. These he set over the fire in a tripod formation. Setting himself back down, he pulled a small metal container from his sack and then filled it with water from a leather pouch around his waist. His nimble fingers opened another package, and several small cloth wraps fell out. He selected three and opened them all. Various quantities of herbs fell into the metal container, before he repacked his items and hung the metal container over the fire to heat up. Another small package was opened and out came some meat which he had ‘acquired’ in Terinyo. This he set on a small slate next to the fire to cook. With everything finished, he sat back against one of the rocks and stared into the embers. Still neither of them spoke. After a few minutes, Ramirez leaned forward and prodded the meat, flipping it over to allow it cook thoroughly. With a small metal rod, he stirred the contents of the metal container and then moved it away from the fire to cool. He pulled two small mugs from his pack and filled them up with the liquid. Without bothering to ask Tarindil if he wanted some, he placed one of the mugs down near him, figuring that the elf would drink it if he wanted. Tarindil picked up the mug, first watching to make sure Ramirez was drinking from his own; which he was. He took a sip of the drink and found that it was extremely sweet, and made his tongue tingle slightly.

“I’ve got something for you.” Tarindil looked up as Ramirez spoke to him to see the dark elf holding a package in his hands. It was around a foot and a half long, and wrapped in soft cloth. With a sigh, Ramirez extended the item to Tarindil, who took it off him without a word. Ramirez pulled his knees in close and watched as Tarindil unwrapped the object. A soft golden glow shone from the object as Tarindil pulled it from its cloth prison. He gasped.

“It’s….”

“Aye. The golden flute I stole all those years ago,” said Ramirez. “I decided to keep it, rather than sell it off. You may as well have it.”

Tarindil gulped as his hands ran along the golden shaft. The flute was comprised of three parts, the head, and body and foot joints. Golden leaves were etched into the surface down its entire length. They keys were not made from gold, but of finely crafted silver, each one shaped to resemble a leaf. The blow hole and embouchure plate were fashioned to look like a bough in the trunk of a tree. All in all it was a masterpiece and worth several thousand gold pieces at the very least. The flute brought back many memories, and Tarindil found himself thinking of Kamivar. The elf had been a master musician, and had taught the then young Tarindil many things. He brought the flute to his lips and began to play a tune. A soft melody filled with sadness began to emanate from the flutes golden bowels and filled the air all around them. Ramirez felt himself become slightly more relaxed and he enjoyed the music in silence. At last Tarindil lowered the instrument and held it in his lap.

“Thank you,” he said.

“Don’t mention it. You are the rightful owner I think.”

“Why did you do it? Why did you have to kill Kamivar?”

Ramirez sighed and hugged his knees closer.

“I didn’t mean to. The only reason I went after the flute was because I wanted to prove myself to my kind. I wanted to show them all what I could do. And what better way to show them my skill than my working my way into the lands of our enemy, and steal a priceless treasure? So I set off, with my young and reckless nature stamped all over my face. I had only one thought, and that was to steal the flute. I scouted the area for days, making regular trips through it at night in order to familiarise myself with the layout. I found where Kamivar lived, and watched him for several days in order to learn his routines. Finally I decided the time was right to make my raid. It all went perfectly. I lifted the flute, and almost made my way out of his home. But I hadn’t banked on Kamivar waking up to wake up his damned pet owl. He walked straight into me. The next thing I knew, he was screaming for help and then my dagger was buried into his gut. I panicked and fled the scene. I never imagined it would have ended like that, with you becoming poisoned. It was a miracle you survived at all, since that venom was extremely potent. After that I fled back home. Aye, they warmed to be for a few days, but soon they hated me just as they did before. The whole venture was for naught.”
“Why did they hate you? You told me about your life in Jak-Nagiur, but why did you leave your homeland? What did they do to you?”

“Well,” began Ramirez, taking another sip of his tisane. “That’s a long story. But maybe you can understand some of my life by listening to it. It might keep you from trying to kill me for a while at least.”

He took a deep breath and started.

“I was born in the underdark in a huge sprawling metropolis. My father was a highly respected priest, one of the foremost servants of Lol’th. He wielded a great amount of power in the city, and because of his power we had a large estate with hundreds of servants. My mother was a seer, who many believed was one of Lol’th’s favourites. As you can imagine, I was born into the high end of society. However, for some reason or other, I wasn’t born with the usual traits of our race. My skin was as you see it now, very pale. This caused a huge commotion in the city, as people accused my father of all sorts of scandals, from raping one of our surface cousins to making pacts with demons. My mother was outraged, and largely ignored me around the house, except only to tell me that I was cursed and doomed to a life of misery. Life eventually settled down, with all of us speaking only when we had to. Many great scholars and magi tried to determine why exactly I had been born with pale skin, until one decided that I was born different in order to remind our race of our hatred for our surface cousins. As you may expect, this meant that my life soon took a turn for the worst. I was the subject of cruel jokes, pranks, bullying, attacks and abuse. However, no one really dared to confront me one on one as my skills with daggers at even that young age were legendary. I was harassed in groups, and if I ever dared to fight back then I would be the one punished. One day, I was making my way back to the family estate when I was ambushed by a gang of youths who studied at the same academy as my self. Knowing full well that I couldn’t attack them back, they decided to take the time to rough me up. I fled them, but made a stupid mistake of running into an alley which had a dead end. Surrounded by eight adolescences, all intent on making me suffer, I backed up against a wall. One of the other reasons they hated me so was not just because of my skin, or because of my riches, but also because I seemed to lack that cruel murderous trait that all dark elves had. They thought me soft and weak. As the first blows landed on my body, I realised that they actually intended to kill me. Something in my mind snapped, and the next thing I knew, they were all standing back as one of my knives had buried itself through the leader’s throat. As Akcia’s body fell to the ground pumping blood, they all stood with looks of puzzlement on their faces. They never expected me to attack back. I had the exact same ruthless streak that they all possessed, but I kept mine in check instead of allowing it to control me. However, I decided that day to let it run free. As far as I was concerned, they were my enemies, they were trying to kill me and so I was going to kill them. The fight lasted for barely a few seconds. My daggers soon flicked out, dropping them all like stones. I left one of them alive, but sliced his body open and mutilated one of his eyes. I carved a symbol on his forehead, my own personal design and then told him to run. I gathered up my daggers and quickly made my way to my estate. Grabbing some of my personal possessions, I fled the city, as riots sprang up all around in an effort to find me. I started a new life once I left, letting people believe that I was a high elf instead of one of the darker races. People were friendly and I soon found myself blissfully happy. However that all changed when I came across Alhacrast.”

Ramirez swallowed the remainder of his drink and then stretched out his legs in front of him,

“Alhacrast was a charming fellow, offering me a lot of money in return for services. None of those involved killing at first, just messenger work really. Then he discovered who I really was and formatted his own plan. He hired a gang of dark elves to attack me. Naturally, once the elves heard who I was, they would have attacked me anyway. One fight later and my old self had returned. Alhacrast told me he could make use of my killing skills and hired me as his personal assassin. I joined his army and hardly saw much of him again, as his orders came to me through various channels. Eventually, my fame was such that no one dared to anger me, for fear that they wouldn’t live to see another day. Then came the Dorelan events. After that you know the rest. I made my way here, and the rest you’ve witnessed first hand.”

He rose to his feet, and stretched his body.

“I know I can’t expect you to forgive me of all the sins I’ve committed. I’ve committed countless offences and will no doubt commit many more. I’m not perfect and I never claimed to be. I still enjoy the thrill of combat, aye and I love the death rattle that escapes my enemies’ lungs as I defeat them. I know that I become insane in battle, but that is a by product of my upbringing, and there is nothing I can do to change that, nor would I if I could. It keeps me alive. Hotzenplotz and I have a long history that can only be ended by one of us killing the other, and I intend on killing him first. After that I’ve no idea what shall become of me. You can carry on hating me if you wish, it doesn’t burden me that much. I’ve been hated all my life. If the rest of you don’t want me travelling with you, then I’ll adventure by myself, much as I did before I found you all, in an effort to rid myself of this bracelet the curse it holds over me. Too many times have I blacked out and woken to found myself surrounded by death and destruction. I want to stop that from occurring, and I’ll go to any means to see it happen.”

He started to pack away his belongings, and kicked a large amount of dirt onto the fire in order to extinguish it. Looping his pack over his shoulder he waited for Tarindil to move.

“So then, that’s my story, you can accept it or deny it as you wish. To be honest, I don’t give a damn. I’ve got my goals set and I’ll achieve them one way or another. So what do you say? Fancy giving this Dark Elf a chance? After all, you didn’t have a problem with me before.”

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 at 02:24 (GMT -5)

Tarindil thought quietly for a moment, then stood up and put the flute carefully into his pack, before hoisting the bag over his shoulder. He turned to the dark elf, not quite meeting his eyes, and nodded slightly. “A chance then... But it is difficult for me, Ramirez, to trust those not of my race after the experiences I’ve had, least of all a dark elf who excels in assassination. You will have to show yourself in more than just words.”

The dark elf shook his head. “I have nothing to prove to you Tarindil. I’ll act as I want, not by what I think might please you. You may judge me as you will.” The bard accepted this quietly – he could only judge the assassin based on his real actions, not any act he put on. Ramirez looked over at the sun that was now ascending the eastern sky. “Let’s get going then – I have an appointment with old Hotzy around midnight, and I don’t like being late. He probably won’t enjoy being late either...”

The two set off southwards across the plains. They reached the woods at dusk, and then rested a while not far from the town. They didn’t want to light a fire in case it attracted any attention, so the pair of them sat quietly under the trees eating cold rations. Eventually Ramirez tried to start a conversation.

“How do you know Alhacrast then? You said you studied magic together.”

Tarindil looked over and nodded his head. “Yes, that’s right... Hmm, I suppose I know your life story now, I should tell you a little of mine. What do you wish to know?”

“Well, what happened between you two? How did you meet him in the first place?”

The bard looked up at the stars that filled the night sky and sighed. “All right then, I’ll tell you about my time with Alhacrast...

Hmm, over one hundred years have passed since then. ‘Tis strange to think... I was at that age when young men are apprenticed to masters so that they may learn new things, and eventually find a trade they wished to dedicate their lives to. I was already passionate about music then, but what intrigued me most at the time was magic. None of the arcane masters in our city took on boys of my age, but my father was a rich man with many links in other cities. In a far-off town called Thongrid there was a renowned human mage by the name of Halchios who was willing to take on two young men. I became one of them. The other... was Alhacrast...

At the time I was not yet full grown, though I was still taller than him, and stronger and smarter. But it didn’t take him long to catch up, and eventually surpass me. He was an orphan of the Cathellan wars in the west, and like so many poor victims of that tragedy he ended up as a lowly street urchin in one of the larger human cities. In his travels Halchios had come across this 15-year-old boy and saw a light in his eyes that reflected some potential, and so he took him in and began training him in the great Art.

In the beginning he looked up to me a lot, and learnt many things from me, about music and literature, art and beauty. He was a great lover of beautiful things, though rarely could he create any himself. He said he had not the skill or the mind for it, but I think perhaps he was too much of a perfectionist, and he would not allow himself to make anything less than perfect. I learnt from him too though. He taught me numbers and codes, and many interesting things he’d seen in the world. We used to challenge each other to create secret codes that we’d have to decipher in as short a time as possible. He almost always beat me.

Halchios was very old, but filled with the hidden power of knowledge and wisdom. We learnt much under him. At first I found I had a natural affinity that put me far ahead of Alhacrast, but after a few years his talent began to blossom and soon he was learning things at a tremendous rate. He became fiercely competitive with me, though it was always friendly. It was within a few more years that he far exceeded anything I could do, and our master was incredibly proud of him.

But then... something tragic happened. Alhacrast had a fiancée, a beautiful girl by the name of Sarina, daughter of the town’s mayor. One time when she and I were walking along a mountain path the earth shook and a sudden landslide occurred. We both were caught up in it, and a rock hit my head, knocking me unconscious. When I woke up it was dark, and though I searched around I could not find her. I went back to the village for help. We searched for days, Alhacrast the most fervently, but we did not find her. Then we heard a report – a traveller had witnessed a group of barbarians roving north with a young girl held captive. Alhacrast was certain it must be Sarina, and the two of us set off in haste to rescue her.

After 2 days hard riding we tracked down the barbarians’ lair, and attacked it. Alhacrast unleashed mighty spells against them, and in his rage he cared not for the safety of himself or others. I had to stay behind him so as not to get caught up in the furious magics he was unleashing. With my sword and my spells I picked off what barbarians I could, and found several people held captive whom I rescued. Then I heard a pained shout from ahead, and racing on I found Alhacrast weeping with Sarina in his arms. She’d been ravaged many times, and cruelly slain. To this day that image burns in my memory...

After that Alhacrast changed, and showed no more interest in his studies. He became silent and cold toward me. I thought at first he blamed me for what happened, but I soon realised the person he blamed most was himself. He asked our master why such cruelty should happen in life. “Many terrible things occur in the world we live in,” Halchios replied. “Many sufferings and injustices are done. But without these we would not be able to distinguish the good deeds around us, and without pain and sorrow we would not know the value of joy. Darkness exists to remind us of how important the light is.”

But Alhacrast wasn’t satisfied. He argued with our master many times. At first Halchios showed sympathy, but eventually his patience grew thin. One night a stormy argument passed between them, and in the end Alhacrast left.

I continued my studies, but it wasn’t the same. I didn’t have the same passion for it without my old friend by my side. But I didn’t wish to disappoint my parents, so I kept going.

Then, several years later, three children went missing. The whole town searched for them, and in their searching found that Sarina’s grave had been dug up. I had a bad premonition then... It was the next day I heard the news that Alhacrast had been arrested. He’d been found near the edge of town babbling incoherently, with his hands and clothes covered in blood. After a quick search close by the children were discovered – at least, what was left of them. The bodies were found butchered and spread out over a large circle, with strange sigils carved onto the ground around them in a widespread pattern. Blood was everywhere. Sarina’s body could not be found.

The trial was swift. Alhacrast never said a thing, but the evidence was clear. I tried to see him and speak to him, but he wouldn’t respond. He seemed like in a daze...

On the day of the execution my master refused to come – he said he could not bear to see it. But I knew I had to be there. When he was marched to the platform the crowd started booing and he began to laugh. One of the guards moved to gag him, but before he did Alhacrast turned and looked straight at me. “Tarindil!” he shouted. “I have seen it! I have seen the True Light! Perhaps you will too, one day...” With that the guard stuck a gag in his mouth and a hood over his face and led him to the noose. The crowd booed louder and began throwing stones. It was not a dignified affair, but there was nothing I could do...

I turned my head when the lever was pulled and the floor dropped from beneath him, but I heard his neck snap and the crowd cheer. It was then that I turned and walked away. I heard that his body was cremated after, but I wasn’t around to see myself. I quit my studies then and returned home – I knew I couldn’t seriously study magic any more. To see my friend so corrupted by power... it was too much for me.

For a number of years I kept in touch with Halchios in writing, and as the years wore on his handwriting seemed to become frailer and frailer. One day I got a letter from the town mayor saying my master’s house had been raided, he had been killed in his sleep, and his stores had been ransacked. I was assured he must have died painlessly and that the thieves were being hunted down.

I didn’t think I’d ever hear the name Alhacrast again, but it seems that through whatever dark sorceries he lives on. I don’t know what this Scroll of Omnipotence is, but it’s not something I want him to lay hands on. It seems as a dark lord he has wreaked enough havoc on the world as it is. I must find and stop him... That is now my goal.”

They both sat in silence for a while before Ramirez spoke up. “This girl... Sarina. I have heard you call her name before. You loved her too, didn’t you?”

Tarindil looked down at the ground, a deep sadness filling his eyes. “Yes... yes, I did. But it would never have worked, not between a human and an elf. Besides, Alhacrast loved her more than I ever could...”

“And did she feel the same about you?” But Tarindil didn’t respond, as he continued to gaze at the ground, lost in memory.

After a while he stirred. “We’d better get going. I want to see the strange doctor first – we need a scalpel.”

The two scouts rode up the last hill and looked out across the dark mountain chain. They were both fitted in sparkling crystal armour, with long crystal spears at their sides. Their tall tower shields were decorated with a gleaming white cross that shone in the black night.

One nodded to the other. “This is it, this is the place we were told about. The Drakalor Chain.”

“Aye, so this is where the fiend is hiding. But he won’t get away this time.”

“Yes, the last village said this road was the only entrance to the chain. We have him trapped.”

“It took us 10 days to ride here. With the full army it may take several weeks.”

“Indeed. Let’s ride back now and report to the Commander. He will be pleased...”

The other nodded, and as they turned their horses round he swivelled his head back and shouted. “Alhacrast! We are coming for you! There is no escape from the Army of Light!” With that they rode off into the night.

“Scream, Ramirez, scream for mercy!” growled Hotzenplotz. He punched the assassin in the gut. “Come on you pathetic maggot, let me hear you beg for forgiveness.” Ramirez gritted his teeth as a heated blade tore across his ribs, burning down to the bone. For several hours now he’d endured this torture, but he wouldn’t give in... He remembered how defiant the little girl had been, and a small smile crossed his lips.

Hotzenplotz muttered in frustration – he wasn’t getting the results he wanted. “Don’t you want to ask the dark lord for pardon? Maybe if you get down on your knees and kiss his boots he’ll let you go back to work.”

“Curse you, Hotzy... Curse the overlord! Curse this whole damned city!!”

Hotzenplotz laughed. “Now now, Rams, no need for that. Otherwise we’ll have to go back to the feet...” He flipped the metal frame that the assassin was contortedly strapped to so that it swung backwards, leaving Ramirez dangling upside down. The torturer took out a number of small sharp screws and got to work on the soles of his victim’s feet, twisting the metal into the flesh until it pierced the bone. “You remember your lessons don’t you, Ramirez?” He took out a small device that sparked with electric magic and zapped it against the metal screws. “How does it feel, eh?”

The assassin huffed as the pain soared through his body, tears streaming from his eyes. His mind was blinded with the excruciating agony of the torture and all his senses were reeling. “It.... it.... tick..les....”

Hotzenplotz cursed in anger, and taking out a whip he lashed it hard across Ramirez’s stomach. He went over to his counter, which was arrayed with many now bloody instruments, and picked up a small pottery tub of some orange powder. Coming back to the victim he took a pinch of the orange salt and rubbed it into the gashes that criss-crossed his face. Ramirez hissed, his skin aflame with agony.

“Come on, Rams, let me enjoy this properly! Scream you stupid wretch!” He spun the rack back so that Ramirez was lying horizontally, facing upwards. Taking a sharp knife he made an incision across the abdomen, peeling off parts of the outer flesh. He reached a bloody hand inside and pulled up a string of intestine. “See this, eh? I wonder what you had to eat before we caught you?” He gave the gut a strong squeeze and Ramirez felt vomit rising in his throat. He gagged and began to choke, but Hotzenplotz spun the rack round so he was facing downwards, and a mixture of blood and vomit poured from his mouth. The torturer spun the rack back and smeared the orange chemical across Ramirez’s belly, burning the flesh and stopping more blood from seeping out. The assassin’s body arched backwards and his mouth widened in a contortion of pure agony, but he refused to release a sound. Hotzenplotz grinned to see the expression of pain on his victim’s face. “Anything you want to say now, old friend?”

Ramirez gasped hard to get oxygen into his lungs, and then opened and shut his mouth as he tried to speak. Hotzenplotz leaned in close to hear what the man was trying to say, the voice coming out a broken whisper. “Oh...... I’m..... a weaponsmith.... and I’m... o..kay....”

A fierce punch rained down hard on his face, as Hotzenplotz growled in rage. He muttered and turned around, walking out the door. After a few minutes he came back with a few men who looked horrified at the state Ramirez was in.

“You really went to town on him, boss,” said one of them.

Hotzenplotz grunted, obviously unsatisfied. “Unstrap him and take him to the other side of the room. It’s time to finish this off.”

The men undid the straps and took the inert body off the metal frame, roughly hauling him to a clear space on the other side of the room so they could start beating him to death. Their boss went to a nearby bucket of water to clean his hands as he heard his men get to work, taunting the assassin as they kicked him hard and repeatedly. But then he heard a strange pinging sound and words of shock from his men. Turning round he saw Ramirez’s skin changing, muscles bulging outwards. There was another ping sound as one of the metal screws from his feet shot out and hit the wall. His skin was puffing up and hardening, the wounds that previously decorated it healing over. The bracelet about the man’s wrist that they couldn’t remove earlier was now glowing black, and he saw a red glow emanate from the assassin’s eyes as his green skin scaled over.

The demon got up, an animalistic growl escaping through its razor-sharp teeth. It instantly leapt on one of the men, decapitating him with its claws before turning on a second. Hotzenplotz reacted in fright, dashing from the room and slamming the door shut behind him. He swung the heavy bolt across it as he heard one of his men screaming and banging against the metal.

“Let me out, let me out! No, no, please!! AAAAGHHH!!!!”

Next he heard the demon’s growls, and a clawed hand punched through the metal door. “I WILL GET YOU, MORTAL.”

Hotzenplotz ran without looking back, and kept running in terror. Everything around him seemed to be dark, and he struggled to keep his breath as spasms of fear ran through his body. He kept running and running into the darkness till he felt a muscled hand grab him by the shoulder. He screamed loudly.

“Hey boss, what’s der problem?” asked Munge. Grunge was on the other side of the room looking concerned. The crime lord looked about himself as he tried to catch his breath back. His skin and his bed sheets were drenched in sweat.

“It’s... it’s coming for me...” he managed to gasp. “Get back to the door and keep watch. Look out for the Silent Butcher, he can come at any time! Watch every shadow!”

The two half-orcs nodded and left the room, taking up watch again outside the building.

“’Ere,” said Grunge after a moment. “Do you fink we ‘ave ta watch our own shadows?”

Munge looked down at his shadow concerned, suddenly realising the enemy could pop out of it at any moment. “Dat’s a good idea dat. But if we’s watching our own shadows, den how’s we gonna watch da udder shadows behind us?”

Grunge thought about this a moment. “We’ll watch each udder’s shadows, dat’s what we’ll do. Dat way we can see behind each udder too.”

“’Ey, dat’s a good idea dat is!”

“Well, I’s is da smart one after all.” The two half-orcs took up positions facing each other, keeping a careful eye on each other’s shadows, and any other shadows that the enemy might jump out of.

Hotzenplotz got up out of his bed and locked the door behind the half-orcs, placing a heavy bolt across it. No one could get in the room now, not through both the bouncers and the secured door. He got back into his bed and lay down, but he still felt uneasy. After a few minutes he noticed a strange change in the air, and slowly getting up from his bed he thought he could make out a shape in the darkness on the other side of the room. Cautiously he crept upwards, drawing a dagger, but was stopped when he felt a sharp pain to the back of the neck. Suddenly he collapsed downwards, losing all control of his limbs.

Tarindil placed his left hand firmly over the crime lord’s mouth to silence him, his right hand holding a scalpel with a touch of blood on the tip. Out of the darkness on the other side of the room stepped Ramirez, advancing over to the prone human.

“I have severed the dorsal root of your cervical nerves,” said the grey elf. “You can no longer feel anything below your neck. You still have manipulation over your muscles, but without sensory feedback your limbs are useless.” Hotzenplotz’s eyes widened in shock and fear as he vainly flailed one of his arms. Tarindil concentrated as he held the human’s jaw steadily and now made an incision in his neck. “And now... I have cut through your thyroid cartilage and made a slit across the cricothyroid muscle in your larynx.” He pulled his hands back and turned up to Ramirez. “His speech is restricted to whispers and low sounds now – he can’t shout for help, but he can still give us information. However, the blood leaking into his trachea will eventually fill his lungs and drown him. I’d guess we have half an hour tops.”

Ramirez looked down in surprise. “How do you know this stuff?”

“After I recovered from your poison I worked for a number of years in the hospital out of gratitude. They really are the best doctors in the world. And you’d be amazed at the sort of things healers know about how to find the weakest spots on a man...”

The assassin shrugged and turned now to Hotzenplotz, who was gasping in fright. “Well, you heard the guy, Hotzy. I’m afraid your time is up. Time for you to spill the beans – tell us everything about Alhacrast and his army. I know now that Kranach was around, though the poor sod’s dead now. Who else is there?”

“Nnngggnoo, nnnno,” the crime lord coughed and spluttered as he struggled to clear his throat, his voice coming out with great strain. “Rrramirez.. is that ggyou?” He stared up at the dark elf. “Kkkranach said.. gyou were a darkk elf, but I ggnever believed him. Evveryone gknows the dark lord hates.. gnon-humans, especially... elves.” He coughed and hacked again, blood spurting down his chin. “But I see gnow.. you dirty elf, this is... gyour vile true form. But why would the overlord ggive.. gyou special privilege?” He glanced down at the bracelet on Ramirez’s left wrist.

“Never you mind that, Hotzy old chap. No point you having knowledge you won’t live to retain. Time for you to impart a bit on us, eh? What’s Alhacrast up to, coming here? I know you – you couldn’t have been completely in the dark about what was happening.”

“Why should I tell a dirty... elf likke gyou?” he said scornfully.

Ramirez growled. "You'd damn well better do just as I say, Hotzy, or else-" He stopped speaking as a red light appeared in his eyes and a hissing voice emerged from his lips. "Your frriend Kranach was very tasssty, mortal... Knowledge can be aqcuirred... in many waysss..." He licked his lips, revealing sharpened teeth.

“P-please... gno... gnnno! I’ll talk, I’ll-“ he coughed again and more blood spluttered out. Ramirez blinked in confusion as the demon withdrew.

Tarindil jutted in quickly to distract him. "Come on, out with it then." He stood by listening with interest to what the crime lord had to say. Hotzenplotz looked fearfully up at Ramirez as he began to speak.

“Gyou... gyou didn’t know about what happened... after Dorelan... After the Dorelan kkillings. The dark lord... he made a mistake... It didn’t pput down opposition... it... it revived it. People... people were shocked by... what happened, and more.. determined to stop Jak-Nagiur from.. dominating. Dorelan’s chief of.. defence, General Lubaf... tookk control of the.. kkingdom and set up a new army.. directly under his command – the Crystal.. Army of Light. He... ggot a lot of financial backing and... plenty of willing men.. and equipped them all with crystal.. armour and strong weapons. He attacked our.. city, wanting to take down the dark lord. Jak-Nagiur... Jak-Nagiur was destroyed, Ramirez! But many of us escaped.. some of us still following.. the overlord, who set off west in.. search of some.. gnew power. I don’t know... what he was after, but we had... gno choice but to gget away before the Crrystal Army ccaught us. But alongg the way a lot of us... dissented – Kkranach and me left the army... in the swamps gnear here and came gnorth to strike out on our own. A lot of strongg men... were still with him when I left though... including gyour old boss, the prince.”

“The prince?!” said Ramirez in shock. “He’s around here somewhere too?”

“Heh, thought that’d.. makke gyou worried...” He coughed hard again, the volume of blood flowing out increasing. “Now I’ve ggot... gnothing else to tell gyou, so just kkill me already you bastard...”

“Huh, not before I chop up every part of your body after what you did to me.”

But Tarindil objected. “There’s no need for that, Ramirez. Just kill him and get it over with. He can’t feel pain right now anyway apart from on his face, and we need his head intact to get our money from the sheriff.”

Ramirez muttered in annoyance and gave the crime lord a hateful look. “All right, I’ll show you a touch of mercy, you filthy scumbag, though it’s more than you would ever show me, and a lot more than you deserve.” He drew out his dagger and moved closer.

“Wait... I’ve ggot one more thing for you Rams... A little mental torture.. to leave you with from your old pal Hotzy. You remember that ggirl you saved, Avril Dorelan? The princess.. you sacrificed your life for to save? Well heh, you should.. probably know, she didn’t get away.. like you planned. We tracked her down. The dark lord was very.. kkeen on that, didn’t want any.. of the royal line surviving to threaten him. Turned out he already ggot another sacrifice... so we were able to have our wickked way with her. We made her scream in the end.... I heard the men at the temple.. kept her as a slave for a few weeks.. before brutally murdering her.” The crime lord looked up at Ramirez with an evil grin on his face, delighted that the last thing he would see was the expression of anguish on the dark elf’s face.

The assassin widened his eyes in rage, and quickly brought his dagger up to deliver the lethal blow. But Tarindil grabbed his arm up and stopped him, shaking his head. “No, not like this...” The grey elf turned towards Hotzenplotz with a look of contempt. “You are a foul and disgusting creature. I have no further pity for you.” He took out from his pockets a few scraps of spenseweed and the last drops of a healing potion. He doused the herbs in the liquid and then bent down and rubbed them in to the back of the human’s neck.

“The ability to feel pain should return very shortly, but your reflexes are permanently damaged. You still have a little while left before your lungs are filled with blood. I entrust my friend here to make sure you spend every second of it writhing in agony.” He stood up and nodded towards Ramirez, before reaching up a hand to pet Loli. “Time for us to leave the way we came. We’ll come back for Ramirez and this filth’s head later...” Loli turned his maw up, and with a magical chant they both disappeared.

“Gggnnnnno.... nnngggnnnoooo... ngngnnnnnoooooo!!!” Hotzenplotz moaned as he wildly flailed and mashed his limbs, blood and spit frothing out of his mouth. Ramirez advanced on him with a cold light in his eyes and a gleeful smile on his lips.

“You have no idea... just how much I’m going to enjoy this.”

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/4/2007 at 03:26 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 at 04:06 (GMT -5)

While all this was happening, Lawf'okong and Whadar slayed Rehetep and proceeded to loot the pyramid chambers before getting out...
"Der's sum nice shiny things in dat niche, just see fer yeh's eh Lawf?" Whadar mumbled as he tore out some stones. They discovered that one of the chambers was a vault filled with gold and gems - the first which the troll took, with a value of about fifteen-twenty thousand gold and the second went to the gnome, of which most was just colored glass but some were precious gems like opals and sapphires, and some were magical crystals, capable of exploding in fireballs or revealing the map of the nearby areas, or even covering an area in darkness. Whadar identified them and packed them away as needed.
"And now for the second one, no?" Lawf'okong asked as Whadar was just about to complete the identification.
"Ach, yeh, but wait, dat's chamber be a little big, no?" the gnome yelped back, and thinking of big treasures, he beckoned to the troll, who smashed in a rock holding the chamber door.
Imagine the surprise when they found only an old mace standing against the chamber wall! But as Lawf'okong examined it closer, he exclaimed:
"I recognise it! This is a mace of disruption. It does nothing more than a normal mace against living enemies, but it deals great damage against undead creatures. I would keep it." And he did so too, as Whadar was already opening two more little safes.
The first one held nothing of value, except a sturdy longsword, but the troll discarded it as he already had a better weapon. The second one held a dusty book, which Lawf'okong identified as a spellbook of Slow Monster. "I have already encountered such a thing in a shop." he said.
Finally, the gnome unlocked a small compartment below Rehetep's throne, with a special key on the mummy's remains. It held nothing but a crystal ball... Whadar gazed into it - and suddenly, a twisted, demonic face stared back:
"What'sssss it, Rehetep? Did Chagra get killed already?"
"Er," Whadar chirped and quickly smashed the ball against the floor. But Lawf'okong said darkly: "Great. Now they know we're here. We'd better run off! I suppose this was a crystal ball designed to communicate among the demon generals, and we just got something nasty upon us!"
They barely stopped, only to pick up the "no ordinary wrapping" as Rehetep said, and the gnome also picked up an ankh from the mummy's body, then they hurried off the pyramid.
But as they exitted and the black gate closed behind them, they already spotted a great, winged creature in the sky. "We'd better get's the hell outta da place!" Whadar yelped and Lawf'okong seemed to agree too...
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/4/2007 at 04:42 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 at 11:04 (GMT -5)

Yergius sat bolt upright in his bed as a gut wrenching scream echoed out across the outlaw village. Sweat beaded across his brow and he threw back his covers to stand at the window. Listening intently, all he could hear was the sounds of insects chirping. Beginning to doubt what he had heard, he put it down to the foul tasting mead he had sampled earlier that night and retired once more to his cot. Sleep was a long time coming.

Across the square from the thief masters abode, Ramirez sheathed his knives as he looked at the corpse of the former crime lord. Having only a limited time in order to get his revenge, the dark elf had put as much concentration and planning into his grisly delight as possible. Hotzenplotz was pinned to the wall above his bed, arms and legs splayed out in angelic fashion. His head sat idly on a chair nearby, removed at the end in order to vindicate that he had killed him. Ramirez had expertly opened the man’s chest, forcing the crime lord to view his own internal organs and watch as the assassin toyed with each one of them. His intestines had been looped around his neck and hung around him in a sick display of childish loops. The lungs had been pulled outwards, and the liver had been cut in half. One of the kidneys was missing, but if a person dared to look hard enough he would have found it forcefully rammed down the crime lords throat. One eye had been ripped from its socket and was lying on the centre of the bed, its beady pupil staring accusingly at its own body and its fluids staining the immediate area of cloth around it a pale yellow. The beds only solitary pillow was stained a dark red and brown, tarnished with the liquid of life and the trappings of the bowels. Ramirez grunted to himself in satisfaction at a job well done. His gaze shifted upwards to the word smeared across the wall above the crime lord’s body.

“AVRIL”

The young girl had been avenged.

He had begged for death at the end.

The dark elf took a final lingering look and then exited the room via the window, grabbing the crime lord’s head as he passed. He landed on the mud outside with nary a sound and took a look around to see if he was being observed. Thankfully his dark clothing helped him to meld into the shadows of the night. Grunge and Munge had been drugged, most likely by Tarindil, and were snoring gently on the buildings veranda. With extreme stealth he backed away from the house and took to the path that led out of the town. He soon found Tarindil, seated on a fallen log besides a stagnant pond. The grey elf turned as the dark elf appeared.

“Is it done?”

“Aye, the task is completed. He’ll trouble no one now.”

“Good.” Tarindil rose from the log and gave a low whistle. Loli swooped down from above and settled on his shoulder. “So what now?”

Ramirez hoisted Hotzenplotz’ head so that it was at his own eye level. “I suggest we take this worthless trophy and give it to the sheriff. No doubt he’ll have some kind of reward for us. After that…..who knows?” He shrugged.

Tarindil nodded. “Sounds like as good a plan as any right now. We might as well make our way to Terinyo then. It’ll be light before the time we arrive there.” He shouldered his pack.

“Aye, let’s move.” The two of them moved off side by side, leaving the bandit town to discover its new life in the morning.

- - - -

They entered Terinyo late in the morning, both tired and weary from the journey. Dust had dried to their skin, and their water flasks were in dire need of refilling. Their charge hung from a sack around Ramirez’ shoulders, bouncing up and down with each step. The villagers paid them no heed as they entered, having seen them before and not believing them to be any danger. An old lady, almost bent double with age shuffled across their path; a large stick supporting her weight. Ramirez approached her slowly and she looked up, her eyes set back into her wrinkled face. He tapped his hand into his heart in greeting and bowed down low.

“Excuse me, might I enquire as to where the sheriff is on this fine morning?”

The old lady cackled and spat on the ground. “Aye dark elfy. You can. He be at the other end of the village, a-watching over some tree felling he be. He be in a surly mood though today he be. Another caravan was raided not more than two days ago.”

“Never fear old one. The caravans shall be safe from now on.”

“Old one? You be as old as me if I were to guess correctly aye. That you would.” Ramirez smiled and produced a gold coin with a flick of his wrist. “For you mother, may the gods look out for you and yours.” The old woman smiled and took the coin in gratitude. “My thanks elfy aye. And may your seasons be long and kind.” She shuffled off, and Ramirez looked back over his shoulder to Tarindil. Beckoning with a flick of his head, he walked off in the direction the old woman had stated.

Tywat Pare was annoyed, and his anger grew with each passing second as he watched the villagers trying to log the trees around what was to be their new market. No sense of direction, no organisation, nothing. Added to this another caravan had been raided a few days ago, the owners slaughtered and the goods stolen. It would be another two weeks at least before another would be on its way. Kicking the ground in frustration he yelled at a couple of passing men who were trying to pull down a tree.

“KHALIOS, TURNER…..WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING? YOU NEED TO CHOP THE TREE DOWN FIRST BEFORE YOU CAN PULL IT AWAY. LORDS OF MERCY DO NONE OF YOU THINK AT ALL?”

He sighed, but then jumped back as something thudded at his feet. He looked up to see two figures standing at the crest of a hill, looking down at the proceedings. Since the sun was behind them, he couldn’t make out their features, only their silhouettes. Their capes fluttered around them and he had to admit, it was an entrance that made the hairs on his arms stand up and his spine tingle.

“A PRESENT FOR YOU SHERIFF. COMPLIMENTS OF HOTZENPLOTZ HIMSELF!”

Tywat bent down low and with both of his worn hands, carefully unwrapped the package. Hotzenplotz’ one remained eye leered up at him. The sheriff jumped back in surprise.

- - - -

“So then lads, I suppose I should reward you with something hmm?” The sheriff busied around his office looking important as Tarindil and Ramirez sat opposite his desk.

“Well, I had to kill him anyway since it was on my list of ‘to do’ things for this year, but since you wanted him dead as well, I won’t object to anything you want to hand our way.” Ramirez didn’t care if he sounded like an everyday mercenary. He had one life and he aimed to get as much enjoyment out of it as possible.

“Aye, I hear you very well so I do. So here’s what I’ll do.” The sheriff tugged his hair and rubbed his moustache. “I’ll teach ye about the laws of this land. Aye…..and I’ve got something for each of you. Two amulets so they are. Amulets of law, they’ll help you to keep your good senses about you and to value truth and justice above all else.”

“No offence my good man, but I don’t really give a damn about law and order,” said Ramirez. “The only law and order I need is that which keeps me alive. Now, do you have anything more…..substantial?”

The sheriff frowned and Tarindil rolled his eyes. Although he had to agree with the dark elf, amulets of law didn’t sound too appealing to him.

“And by the way, we also sorted out your raider problem. If you go to the northeast you’ll find a cave. At the bottom of said cave, you’ll find Kranach’s remains lying strewn about the place. Now, if I remember correctly, didn’t you mention five thousand for both of them killed?”

“Aye, that I did. And I’ll keep that promise as well.” The sheriff turned around to a small metal safe that sat in the corner of the room. He stooped and unlocked it using a small key that hung from his neck. The safe door swung open and he pulled out a couple of cloth sacks that were bulging with coin. He dumped them onto the desk.

“Would you’s gentleman like me to count it?”

Ramirez was about to say yes, when Tarindil stepped in.

“Not at all my good sir. We will take you at your word.”

“My thanks. And remember lads, abide by the laws and you won’t get into trouble ok. Keep your wits about you and your eyes sharp. These are troubled times for all of us.”

“Indeed they are sheriff,” said Ramirez, picking up the two bags of coin and slipping them away. “Now, we have to be off. A pleasure doing business with you to be sure. Don’t be a stranger now. Look after those villagers of yours. Ta-ta!”

The elf swished out of the makeshift office and Tarindil followed, noticing that Ramirez was in a fine mood.

“So then my good grey elf. It’s a wonderful sunny day, our purses are five thousand gold coins richer, and the evil has been vanquished. What’s next on our list of things to do? Shouldn’t we go and find those chaps who we were travelling with? Or have we got some other mission of daring to accomplish?”

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/5/2007 at 00:03 (GMT -5) by PeanutGod]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 at 13:06 (GMT -5)

Lawf'okongand Whadar ran towards a peaceful glade, heads looking over their shoulders every second, afraid of the ominous figure flying behind them. They entered the glade, and saw an old barbarian who looked over towards the demom coming, and just sighed as if it was a petty task, slaying the greater demon. He looked at the troll and gnome,scared out of their wits, and drew out his two-handed sword from his pack. He got his battle stance, and as the demon prepared to claw his face from the air, the old barbarian jumped through the air to intersect the demon and chopped its head clean off.

The barbarian strode to them, wiping the blood off his blade along the grass and said,"So what was a greater demon doing chasing a bunch of babies like ye?I'm Bolshfor, the last of the great Molor Tribe."

Lawf'okong stepped forward,"Thank you Bolshfor for slaying the demon, my magic is not powerful enough to slay such a creature....my name is Lawf'okong,I am a wizard, and this here is my little friend Whadar, an archer. Is there anything we can do to make up for you killing that beast?"

Bolshfor thought for a second, thinking:"Tell ye what,slay me a score of the first beasts ya killed, and I'll give ye something very valuable...."

Whadar yelped,"Den what are we waiting fer,Lawfy!Let's get goin!"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/4/2007 at 17:51 (GMT -5) by nOOb-mAsTeR]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 at 09:31 (GMT -5)

"Well, alright, but what were those first monsters?" Bolshfor asked.
"Well, it's was be back then, when I's been shooting birdies for practice." the gnome told.
"Nah... I mean, something that can fight back."
"Ach, then it's been sum thing like... well, I's killed a kobold for first, in da wars between the dogs an' us!" he exclaimed.
"Alright... and what about you?" he turned to Lawf'okong.
"Well, I'm called Kobold Slayer around some lands, so you can guess it's the same."
"Well then, you don't have to part. Just kill a war party worth of them, each of you, and then come back." The barbarian Bolshfor told them and waved them goodbye as the two companions walked away - or in the case of Whadar, more of hopped, as he was drunk again.
"Wait! Whadar's gots an idea! What if I start singing, somebody's gotta hear us!" And then not even bothering to hear the answer, he started to do something resembling singing. Or at least until Lawf'okong put his hand on the gnome's mouth.
"Ssshhhh, what are you doing? The chance of us getting a kobold party in us is too small..."
He couldn't finish it, as suddenly they heard magic incantations. It was a dark hooded figure, who suddenly conjured several chaotic, twisted figures out of nowhere.
Whadar lifted Far Slayer and a quarrel, and fired. The chaos wizard fell limp. However, the servants, five of them there were, surrounded the duo and charged.
"Eh... these could be undead." Lawf'okong grunted, thinking of their mace found in the pyramid, as he lifted his sword and slashed at a servant. A big bloody gash appeared on him, but he didn't fall.
Whadar was trying to make a hedgehog out of another meanwhile, but it blocked every four shots out of five with its shield. Even as he managed to fell one, another was already swinging at him.
There had to be a solution though, and there was one. The troll suddenly remembered his new spell, and started casting it. Suddenly the motions of the servants slowed down. This just gave them enough time to run.
"Ugh... these were no ordinary servants of chaos. They were greater ones, I suppose. Now, what did we want to do?" the troll asked.
Three arrows suddenly banged into three different trees near them, just like to remind them of their objective. A moment later, a dozen kobolds came on them and a lot of arrows were fired. A tough situation indeed... and in the worst moment possible.
Lawf'okong started mumbling magic words. Two acid bolts emerged from his fingers and several of the dog-like creatures fell. Another few castings and half a dozen got stuck in webs, thus becoming practice target for Whadar.
However, this was still just six for each, and the job didn't look so easy when they suddenly sighted a huge, ugly giant lumbering behind them - a fomorian giant, one which wanders the forests and does just about what other giants do: kill.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 at 12:32 (GMT -5)

Thurgin and Jarlgan traveled west. They traveled so far west they couldn't go further if they wanted to. Thurgin didn't want to. After searching a while they found a cave. The cave was dark. They both started to shiver uncontrollably. Thurgin muttered a few words, light illuminated the room, and they stopped shivering. Jarlgan walked a few steps to the nearest entrance and some water splashed down from the ceiling. His next step revealed another water trap.

"This level is filled with water traps, watch out this could rust a lot of our equipment, although they are easy enough to dodge when we discover them. Odd enough, they seem to be placed in diagonal lines." Thurgin observed.

The first three rooms were uneventful, just a few fluff balls laying on the ground. They encountered a single gremlin in the fourth room.

"ONE fluffy little critter opposes us. ONE."

He spoke too soon. A gush of water splashed the gremlin, and it multiplied. Those gremlins triggered more traps, filling the room instantly. Thurgin spread webs about the room, hampering the gremlins severely. After this he cast Minor Punishment a few times to get rid of gremlins not on traps. Jarlgan fought bravely in the center of the room, standing next to two water traps so that the gremlins on them wouldn't move off the trap and spread the epidemic.

"These creatures are easy to kill, if they didn't multiply this would be a menial task." Jarlgan said in frustration. Eventually they got close enough to the exit of this room that Thurgin cast a light spell to distract him for a moment. Many of the gremlins were killed by the light.

"These creatures cannot stand bright light. That is easy enough to conjure..." Thurgin mused. After that moving within the level was much easier, though still not easy, given the rate at which the gremlins multiplied. They found surprisingly few items: two rings, a spellbook, greased boots, some food, a climbing set, one scroll, and a phial. All of them were unidentified. It took six days to traverse the cave and Thurgin used every casting of light that he possessed. When they escaped both Jarlgan and Thurgin were very annoyed.

"Finally an escape from those darned fur balls!" Thurgin muttered in disgust "I casted light two HUNDRED and fifty-six times, and every time we barely had time to move two steps! I slew nine hundred and seventy-six of them. It's ridiculous!"

Jarlgan grunted in approval and added his own rant. "I might have been fighting with a wooden stick those things were so weak. Yet they kept on coming. One thousand, eighty of them came, one thousand eighty died, and all for moving one step at a time. All for naught. Any other dream to go on Dwarf? I'll go, but NO MORE MULTIPLYING MONSTERS!"

-Maelstrom
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 at 21:46 (GMT -5)

Loli perked up on his master’s shoulder and turned a sad inquiring look towards the grey elf. Tarindil looked at him and nodded. “All right then...” He turned back to Ramirez. “Aye, there is something else we need to do. The baby water dragon in this village is lost, and needs help finding its mother. I think she might have a lair in the great river near here.”

The dark elf crossed his arms in disgust. “And we’re meant to help for free?”

“Yep, that’s right.”

Ramirez grunted. “Now listen, Tarindil, just because we’re on good terms again doesn’t mean I’m gonna follow your every whim. I’m an assassin and a mercenary at heart, cold and ruthless whenever I need to be, and I only work for a good price.”

“Ramsy, Ramsy!” came a little shout from around a corner. The two elves turned to see the tiny girl running from behind the building, looking around and shouting. “Ramsy! Where are you?” She ran up to the two men. “Um, misters, have you seen my doggie?”

“You’ve gone and lost it again?” asked Ramirez. The little girl looked down meekly. “And why’re you running around shouting ‘Ramsy’?”

The little girl looked at her feet and blushed. “Um... um... cause of you, mister. I named my doggie after you cause... cause you’re a true hero!” She looked up at Ramirez with a cute smile, and the cold and ruthless assassin suddenly found himself blushing. Tarindil struggled not to grin, but failed. The dark elf turned to him and scowled, but then looked down again at the tiny girl. Those big brown eyes reminded him of someone else, and he knew he couldn’t say no to her. He sighed and closed his eyes, pricking his pointed ears to listen out for the cute dog. After a moment he heard some barking on the other side of town.

“Your puppy is over somewhere behind Munxip’s shop,” he said.

The tiny girl grinned. “Thankee, mister!” She did a polite little courtesy in front of Ramirez and then dug a hand into one of the pockets on her little dress. She pulled out a small cane of gnomish candy and handed it over to the dark elf, before running off behind them.

“And don’t go losing him again!” Ramirez called off after her.

Loli cooed and looked greedily at the stick of candy in Ramirez’s hand. “Mine!” barked the assassin possessively, and he stuck the cane in his mouth. “Righ’ ‘en, whe’ ‘o we fin’ ‘is wa’er ‘agon?”

Tarindil smiled over at him. “Well, that we don’t know yet, and I’m going to send Loli off to look. But we need to go to the bandit village for supplies. Loli, you’ll be faster than us – go check out the river for any caves or tunnels you might find, but make sure you don’t enter alone. Come find us in Lawenilothehl at dawn tomorrow.”

The fairy dragon nodded, and with a high-pitched chirp he soared up into the air, twisted round and flew off to the west at high speed.

“Well, let’s be off then...” The two adjusted the packs on their shoulders and started to walk towards the edge of town, but were soon stopped by a voice behind them.

“Darkness... darkness... all around... But where has it gone? Can it be found? The True Light...”

Tarindil span round fast and looked upon the figure of Yggaz who was babbling away under a tree. The elf marched up to him. “The true light? What do you mean by that?!”

The old fool turned his drunken head towards the elf and gave him a lopsided smile. Tarindil looked into the man’s eyes and saw therein the gleams of madness, but behind them was something else, like the shrunken embers of a fire that has long since burned out. Yggaz took out a small bottle and downed its contents, staggering slightly.

“The avatar I was...” said the fool, doing a little dance like a puppet on strings. “Now the fool I am!” He tripped and fell over, then rolled up and spread out his arms in a grand gesture. “Heed the warning!”

The bard looked at the man with great curiosity. “Who... who are you...?”

He chuckled grimly. “Baba’s my mother, Stalker my father, and I’m the eternal wanderer. A shadow of a shadow... A reflection of a reflection...” The mad gleam left his eyes for a moment, and a small tear welled in one eye as he spoke. “The top of a tall mountain that has sunk into the deepest valley. The molten, roaring fire that has withered to cold ash. The widest and grandest of rivers that has turned to dirty swamp. The howling wind that echoed across the world, but now is a dying breath... I... I...” He shook his head and fumbled at his tattered clothes, a sudden panic seeming to now take him. Finally he found another bottle and put it quickly to his lips. His eyes glazed over and he laughed a mad laugh. “Life’s a boon and ye art a goon!” He pranced off, mumbling the words to a senseless song. Tarindil looked after him in bewilderment.

Ramirez came up beside the grey elf. “What was that about?”

“I... I don’t know. Have you ever heard of Stalker and Baba?”

“Why yeah, of course. They’re childish names we- I mean humans sometimes give to constellations. Stalker is the Raven, and Baba is the Dragon.”

Tarindil frowned and shook his head in confusion. “Never mind... Let’s go.”

The headed south, and being weary they rested a while in the woods. They encountered a pack of jackals that took over an hour to clear, and in all it took them a long time to reach the bandit village. It was dark and they entered quietly, not sure of what reception they would receive.

As they walked into the town all heads turned to face them. A couple of men whispered something to each other and ran off quickly. The two elves slowed their pace as some people started to follow behind them, and others advanced towards them with their hands on their weapon hilts. Both the adventurers did the same, ready to deal with any assault.

There was a sudden cry to their left and in barged Grunge and Munge, the two half-orc bouncers running straight up to them.

“It wore you woren’t it!” said Grunge, as he pointed an accusing finger at Ramirez. “It wore you wot killed our boss! You made my little bro cry!””

The hulking figure of Munge had tears running down his cheeks. “He wore our first boss, da first wot give us a job and taught us how ta stand still at doors! What we gonna do now, bro?! How we gonna eat and live?”

Grunge patted his younger brother on the back reassuringly. “’S okay bro, we’ll find somefing... somehow...” He turned an angry look to the dark elf. “See what you gone and dun? You one ‘eartless pig, you know dat?”

Ramirez scratched the back of his neck looking sheepish. “Er, look, guys, I mean... I didn’t mean to... I, I didn’t know...”

“Tut tut, Ramirez,” said Tarindil, his arms crossed as he shook his head, a small smile escaping his lips. “How could you? I mean really, you should think about the consequences of your actions sometimes...”

“Why you bloody conniving elf! How dare you say that when you’re just as-“

“Dere he is!” came a shout from behind him. The two men that had disappeared earlier were now back with a gang of bandits and outlaws, all of them brandishing weapons. “He’s the one what butchered Hotzenplotz, the sick bastard. Let’s get ‘im!”

Ramirez swung his daggers out in a flash as the men came towards them. “All right, I’ve had enough of this! Yeah, I gave ol’ Hotzy what the bugger deserved, through and through! Ain’t a man alive that can honestly say he shouldn’t have had worse. But if you pillocks are itchin’ for a fight then I’m ready! Bring it on!”

All the men around them drew their weapons, and Tarindil swiftly unsheathed his sword, going back to back with Ramirez as a circle of steel drew near. The assassin was about to make a lunge for the toughest looking guy nearby when a shout rang out across the town.

“Stop this at once!” Everyone turned around to see Yergius the master thief advancing towards them. Barnabas the gnomish shopkeeper was following shortly behind. “What are ye all doing?”

The shorter of the two bandits that had fetched the crowd of men answered. “This disgustin’ bastard chopped up Hotzy and took his ‘ead. We’re just showing him what happens to dose what mess wit us...”

“Oh really, Shaw? And do ye think someone who could kill Hotzenplotz would be so easily overcome? If so then the crime lord were a weak fool and deserved what he got. Besides... ye all know the rules of succession in our town! By rights HE is now crime lord!”

Everyone gasped, and even Ramirez looked shocked.

“But... but...” objected the bandit again. “Dey’re outsiders! Only one of us can take over like dat!”

Yergius shook his head. “But they are one of us. They are members of the Thieves’ Guild. I set them the initiation task last week, and I am quite certain that they have passed it with flying colours.”

Shaw growled. “Oh yeah? Well let’s see deir skills den!” The man turned round as he felt a tap on his shoulder.

“Excuse me sir, but would these happen to be yours?” Tarindil held up a pair of dirty trousers, and Shaw looked down in shock at his bare legs.

“Eh? What da...? How did you-? Gimme dose!” He grabbed the trousers back and ran off behind a building.

“Is that good enough pickpocketing?” asked Tarindil with a smile.

The master thief nodded and then turned to Ramirez. “And you... To sneak into the crime lord’s house unawares, past the two guards, and to kill him with such ease – surely there is no more impressive feat. I hail you as our new lord Ramirez!” He bowed respectedly in front of the dark elf. There were a few mutters from others in the crowd, but Barnabas gave them an evil little look, a gold coin spinning between his fingers. They all followed suit, and Ramirez couldn’t help but grin.

“Heh, not bad, not bad...” he said, putting his hands on his hips. “All right, chaps, seems I’ve got me a nice set-up here now. I’m gonna make things simple – you be good to me and I’ll be good to you. Hotzy didn’t learn that lesson well, so I’m hopin’ none of you guys make the same mistake. Otherwise you’ll be following him to the depths of hell... Grunge, Munge, you’re workin’ for me now. Go clean out Hotzy’s old place – I want somewhere to sleep tonight, and I don’t want it stinkin’ of that fool’s blood. The rest of ya – go back to whatever devilish devices you were up to already. Let’s keep this town busy!”

The two half-orcs attempted a salute and marched off to follow their orders. The rest of the crowd dispersed slowly, with Yergius and Barnabas staying behind.

“Come follow me, lord. We have a few things we must discuss,” said the master thief.

The two adventurers went to follow, and the gnomish shopkeeper nodded respectfully at Ramirez as they walked by. “Me be closin’ up shop fer da night now, but come ye back in da morn and me’ll see what me cin do fer ya. Got’s me some special stock on da side ye might like.”

The dark elf nodded in agreement and walked off after Yergius. The master thief took them to his room in the thieves’ guild headquarters and mixed them both a drink. Tarindil grimaced as he tasted the foul whiskey, but Ramirez downed it gladly.

“So, Yergius, what’s all this then? Making me your new lord, eh? What’s in it for you...?”

The man chuckled as he took a seat. “Aye, yer a smart one lad. Let’s say I didn’t live this long and get to where I am without knowing how the wind blows. Ye’re strong, and no doubt ye’d make a good leader, but I can see ye’re also not one that’s going to stick around here too much, interfering where it’s not needed. This town can run well without a leader that sticks his nose too deep into trouble. Hotzenplotz was an arrogant fool, and I’m glad he’s dead – ye have my sincere thanks for that. He and Kranach were too greedy, bringing too many men in, attacking too many caravans, and scaring off too much trade. This town ain’t been profitable in a while. Maybe now we can go back to the good times...”

“Hmm, you’re right, I do have other business around this chain, and no time to settle down here at the moment. But don’t think I’m just a puppet leader – I’ll be here when I want, giving whatever orders I want, and they’re to be respected. Understood?”

Yergius nodded. “Indeed, and ye’ll get a cut of the profit too, o’ course. Five per cent of all black market dealings, three per cent of all trade interceptions and ten per cent of all protection fees. In return all I ask is ye don’t get too ambitious.” The man got up from his chair and looked wistfully out of the window. “The world is a dark enough place as it is right now. It’s strange I tell you, the creatures that have been about lately. People have been coming from the west with weird demented mutations. I deal with evil every day, but this... what’s happening... I tell ye, there is some darkness arising that will destroy us all.” He looked over at Ramirez and Tarindil. “I don’t know what ye’re here in this chain for, but if you can do anything to stop what’s happening then... well, it’d be good for business is all I’m saying. Anyway, on to more immediate matters...”

He spent some time with Ramirez going through organisation, planning and strategies of all the shady businesses the town dealt in. All the time he was impressed by the intelligence and ingenuity the dark elf showed, as they went through restructures, arranging resources and new forms of economical management. Tarindil chirped in a few suggestions from time to time, but mostly stayed out of such dirty dealings. At the end of it all Yergius then began to train the two on a few things, giving them new pickpocketing tricks and advice on improving their Stealth, and teaching Ramirez more about traps, including how to disarm them.

After many hours they finally said goodbye to the master thief and headed off for Ramirez’s new house. Grunge and Munge were standing outside, and Ramirez was impressed when he looked in – it had been cleaned remarkably well. “Like a regular couple of housewives,” he smirked at the half-orcs. “Need I ask what you did with the corpse?”

Grunge scratched his head. “Momma always taught us not to let food go to waste...” Munge belched.

“Ah... beautiful... Well, we’re going to retire for the night. You fellas had best keep watch on the door, I’ve got a feeling that Shaw chap will be back later. If he and his friends are too much trouble for you then give us a shout – will be happy to lend a helping hand. I’ll be setting off in the morning, not sure when I’ll be back, but you’ll need to hassle Yergius and Barnabas for some money regularly. I’ll let you keep 200 gold each per week, the rest goes into the safe. I should warn you I’ll be making a careful count when I get back, but I got the feeling you guys are too stupid to try anything dumb. Right, now that’s all sorted, good night lads.”

Tarindil had the comforts of the floor that night as Ramirez enjoyed his new bed (with fresh sheets courtesy of Grunge and Munge – the half-orcs had even taken the trouble to scent the goose down pillow with lavender). The dark elf peacefully snored the night away. At one point there were sounds of a scuffle outside, but the bouncers dealt with the problem easily.

In the morning they visited the shop, with Ramirez in a merry mood and Tarindil muttering about back pain.

“Mornin’ to ye,” Barnabas greeted them when they entered. “Me must give ye me tanks fer sorting out that Hoty bloke. He were a silly bugger what messed me trade right and proper. Why me even used to ‘ave the ol’ sheriff come down ‘ere fer a few bottles o’ bourbon every month, but not since that fool started stirrin’ up too much trouble. ‘Ere, let me show ye some nice stuff I reserve fer me special customers...” He brought out a chest of items from under the counter which contained a few rarer items than were on display. After a close look around at the regular and special items the pair of them picked out everything they wanted.

“That’ll be 4,500 gold pieces,” said Barnabas.

“What, for this heap of junk? I wouldn’t pay more than 2,000!” said Tarindil, trying to haggle with the gnome.

“Hrmph, maybe 4,000 then...”

“2,500.”

“3,500.”

“5,000!”

“3,000! Wait, what?”

“Deal!” said Tarindil, handing over the cash. Barnabas looked quite confused, but accepted anyway.

They exited the shop with their items. Ramirez put on the coat of gleaming elven chain mail he bought, whilst Tarindil donned a long white cloak of protection and a pair of boots of speed. He also leafed through the tome of Farsight he’d purchased, whilst Ramirez used a blessed oil of rust removal to rustproof his daggers. The grey elf handed over a number of his valuables to his companion to be wrapped up in a waterproof blanket in the assassin’s pack. Finally they both put on a ring of the fish, and Tarindil poured holy water over the slender blue rings. A strange airy feeling came over their mouths and lungs.

They stood waiting for a while, looking up at the sky, and after about 20 minutes a pink speck appeared on the horizon. Loli zoomed into view, and slowing down he did a flip in the air and landed gracefully on Tarindil’s right shoulder.

“ifounditifoundit!” the little fairy dragon squeaked in excitement. “it’soverbythemountainssoutheast, it’sreallyreallydeepunderwater!”

The two elves followed the fairy dragon’s directions towards the river. It was late afternoon by the time they reached the roaring waterway. On the far bank they could make out a crop of high mountains that jutted from the surrounding plains like a monolithic array. Upstream the river waned, sourcing itself in a huge lake by the northern mountains. To the south it split into two main brooks and then dissipated into marshland and swamps.

They did a final check to make sure they were ready and then dove into the chill river. Loli went slightly ahead, agilely flicking through the water as the others followed with a bit more difficulty. The current was strong, and it took a lot of effort to keep up with the tiny fairy dragon. They sunk into murky depths, passing shoals of fish and other strange river creatures, and the sunlight faded more and more the deeper they got. Tarindil took a moment to cast the Farsight spell on their eyes before they went lower, allowing them to see better this far down. Finally after a long time they found what looked like a wide stairwell dug into the rock on the base of the riverbed at the far side. They entered cautiously, Loli now dropping behind the two warriors.

The cave seemed dark at first, but once inside they found what little light was around reflected off crystals in the wall, filling the area with an eerie candescence. They swam through the twisting underwater tunnels, Ramirez seemingly more adapt at moving about in the deep depths.

Two sharks silently approached and Ramirez quickly drew his daggers. One of the creatures lunged forward at him, toothed jaw open to tear at the dark elf’s flesh, but he kicked himself off the base of the tunnel and nimbly span round the creature. Now almost horizontally on top of the shark he dug his daggers in deep at the sides and cut down the length of the animal. Blood spilled out thickly, dispersing through the surrounding water as the fish’s corpse sunk slowly to the ground. As the second shark approached Tarindil the bard reached his hands out to grab its gills and projected fiery flames from his fingers. The water around the shark’s head boiled instantly and the deadly fish writhed its final death throe as its gills were burned through.

The two swam on, fending off the giant eels and sharks that tried to impede their way. They had some difficulty with a giant turtle over twice their size, but Tarindil managed to distract the creature whilst Ramirez climbed on top and sheared through the monster’s thick shell with his phase dagger. The grey elf then attacked from the front with burning and freezing magic and soon the turtle fell.

Finally they came upon a giant chamber in the centre of the cave, and both gasped in shock. The floor of the cavern was filled with a huge horde of treasures. Piles of gold and gems lay littered across the sandy ground, and in between were fabulous looking suits of armour, strong metal weapons, bejewelled crowns, enchanted bracers and girdles, as well as many magical wands, potions, rings, amulets and much more. In the centre of the chamber was a humongous figure like none they’d ever seen before.

They swam closer and could make out the deep sapphire scales of an enormous dragon, well over 100 feet across. A giant eyelid almost as big as a man flicked open, revealing an amazing azure eye, as bottomless as the depths of the blue ocean, filled with age and wisdom and power far beyond anything they’d encountered before. The creature stared at them for a moment but did not move.

“FOR WHAT PURPOSE DOEST THOU INVADE MY LAIR, MORTALS?” came a voice like a roaring tidal wave in their heads.

Tarindil found himself too filled with awe to speak at first, but finally managed to blurt a sentence out. “We- we are here looking for Blup’s mom. Would you be her?” His garbled voice felt tiny and insignificant in this colossal underwater cave.

The dragon’s massive muzzle raised upwards with amazing speed, and the displacement of the water pushed hard against both elves, sending them hurtling backwards.

“MY BABY? WHERE IS HE?!” her voice boomed through their minds.

The grey elf recovered from the shock of the wave and spoke again. “In a village not far from here! He is lost and does not know how to find you. We came so that we may help him find his way home.”

“THEN GUIDE HIM TO THIS PLACE AT ONCE!” The water dragon looked at them with a profound sadness in her vast eyes. “PLEASE...”

“That we shall do.” Tarindil tried to bow respectfully, but the motion was rather difficult in the water and he ended up spinning in a circle. The greater water dragon lowered her head again and the two adventurers turned to swim back out.

Ramirez whimpered as he looked regretfully down at the treasures they were swimming past. A glowing wand next to a pair of rusty iron-shod gauntlets caught his eye, as did a marvellous suit of black dragon scale mail and an enchanted bulky girdle. But it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to dare defy a creature of this magnitude. He swam on, the sights of mountains of gold and glittering gems left behind bringing a tear to his eyes.

They surfaced on the eastern bank of the river, just south of the small mountain range that soared from the ground. Further south were soggy marshlands, and across the plains to the west they could make out a paved road in the distance and a huge sprawling forest. It was later in the evening now, with the sun passing low over the western horizon. Orange light spilled softly over the chain, and cast lengthy shadows from the two elves across the flowing river.

Tarindil shook his head in a vain attempt to dry his bright white hair, and began wringing water out of his long mantle. “Loli, you’d best fly back to Terinyo and let Blup know where his mother is. We’ll set up camp here for the night and see you in the morning.” Loli flapped his little wings and rose into the air before speeding off to the north-east. The two elves gathered some firewood and soon had a blaze going. Ramirez had cut some steaks from one of the sharks they’d killed and was now roasting it over the fire. They huddled close to the flames to dry themselves off and happily feasted on the exquisitely fresh meat.

They were awoken in the morning by the fairy dragon spurting water in their faces. “itoldBlupabouthismommyandhewasveryveryhappyandheflewbackhome andsayshe’llgethismommytosendapresentcausehe’sverygrateful andthanksusverymuchandi’mverytirednowsogoodnight!” The tiny dragon jumped into Tarindil’s lap and promptly fell asleep, obviously exhausted from his night’s work. The bard picked up the snoozing dragon and placed him gently on top of his pack to rest. The two elves then got ready and set off west.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/6/2007 at 22:14 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 at 14:24 (GMT -5)

Meanwhile, Lawf'okong and Whadar weren't having such an easy time. Whadar had shot the fomorian giant seven times in the chest, but still came towards the duo. Lawf'okong had just finished slaying his share of kobolds as the giant came within 5 feet, then surpisingly did not attack. He brought from his immense pack, a huge rock, and on it were some crude markings,
"Sparers of Knngrormmbg,
Lawf'okong the Ancient and company, I, Noroshom, the Greatest Titan, invite thee to my kingdom, the volcano, the hidden city. But you shall not come so easily, for you are after something I wish to have. You are destined towards the Caverns of Chaos, and in it is something very important to me. If you manage to find out what it is, and get it, then I shall know. I will then supply you with directions to the volcano, since none know the path, and there you shall receive your award.....

NOROSHOM:GREATEST TITAN"

Whadar looked up at the fomorian giant, feeling sorry for what he did. The giant seemed to read his mind, and said in a very intelligent voice,
"DO NOT WORRY, SMALL ONE. THEY WERE BUT THORNS TO ME, MERE PESTS. FAREWELL, AND GOOD LUCK."

Lawf'okong and Whadar stared at each other as the giant left: What could the greatest titan possibly want?
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 03:44 (GMT -5)

My internet is working decent again (Spybot S&D helped) so I'm reserving the post after.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 09:05 (GMT -5)

They slept that night without a campfire, not wanting to alert their presence to anyone or anything in the area. Tarindil was huddled under a worn blanket, the thread bare cloth doing little to shelter his body from the night’s cold winds. Loli was curled up next to him, tail over snout and also shivering slightly. Ramirez sat a few feet away from them, wrapped tightly in two soft blankets that his new found servants had kindly given him back at the bandit camp. He had left enough orders with Yergius on the running of the town, and had also tried to speak to as many of the ruffians as he could, just to make his presence known and also to understand their wants and needs.

He looked over as he heard a low moan and saw Tarindil curl up tighter and roll over onto his other side. Ramirez stared at the gray elf for a few moments, before deciding to do something charitable. He rose to his feet and pulled off one of his covers. He tiptoed over to Tarindil, and gently laid the article across his body. The effect was almost immediate, as Tarindil grasped the blanket in his sleep and pulled it around him. Ramirez returned to his former position, pulled his single blanket around him tighter and lost himself in his thoughts.

“How come this blasted bracelet never came off?” he wondered to himself. He pulled his right arm out from under his cover and looked at it in the moonlight. He had tried countless times to remove it, and each time he had suffered pain that was at best ‘excrucitating’. Before he had entered the Draklor Chain and after he had left the services of the Dark Lord, his time had been spent seeking out anyone who could helped him remove the burden. There had been many people who had led him false, most of them now lying dead for having wasted his time and leading him on with hope. Once he had been able to track down a renowned seer; an ancient woman who had listened to his story, looked at the bracelet, and then promptly cut her own throat in front of him. People wanted nothing to do with it in general, telling him that they felt a ‘bad’ vibe coming from the metal work. Skilled blacksmiths couldn’t even mark the metal, sages and oracles didn’t recognise the runes scrawled all over it, and even soaking it in blessed water did nothing bar give it a cleaner finish. He was coming to his wits end.

“Why must you curse me so?” he muttered under his breath, directing his voice at the armlet. “For years now you have clung to my body, doing nothing and yet making my life a misery. I’ve had to endure excruciating pain and blackouts that have sometimes lasted for days. WHAT IS IT THAT YOU WANT FROM ME?”

A huge blast of cold wind swept through the area, blowing away small rocks, pieces of wood and loose shrubbery. Tarindil remained asleep through the entire event, serenely at peace. Ramirez felt the darkness overwhelming him, but used all of his willpower to cling on to reality. His legs felt like lead, his arms just as bad. A superhuman effort was required to even open his eyes to keep track of what was going on around him. The world seemed to shimmer around him, and he suddenly felt himself plummet.

He woke up, having no idea as to how much time had passed. The sky was a bright red, with yellow and green clouds vying for supremacy over one another. Trees were blasted abominations, some of them with tentacles writing around, others with human heads for fruit. The area seemed familiar to Ramirez, until it dawned on him that it was the same area he had been resting in beforehand. He looked over to where Tarindil should have been sleeping, but saw nothing but a small hollow in the earth. He looked down at his right wrist and saw nothing there. The fingers of his left had trembled as they touched the flesh of his right arm, wondering if it was a trick. He came into contact with nothing hidden, just soft warm flesh.

His legs wobbled under him as he stood up, and looked around. Everything was the same, but twisted. In the distance he heard what he thought were screams of pain but they quickly faded away. Something tapped his leg and he spun around to see a stranger creature, standing on four spindly legs with a body the size of a large apple. It had one eye that stood atop a stalk and it revolved around constantly. He backed away into a large rock, sweat starting to form on his forehead as his heart pumped adrenaline around his body in order to keep him alert.

“So then mortal…….we finally meets yes??”
Ramirez’s head snapped to the left and right, looking around for the voice and its origins. Nothing appeared. His hands snaked to his baldric, only to find his daggers were not there. He gulped.

“WHO ARE YOU?” he cried.

“Don’t you recognise me mortal? I am mortified indeed I am. I have travelled with you for years and yet you don’t know me. Ah…….maybe I had better show myself to you then.”

A roaring sound filled Ramirez’ ears as the entire area shook. A nearby tree fell over, only to move away on miniature legs. Something plummeted down from the heavens and smashed the rock he was leaning next to into pieces. Something else fell downwards sending up a spray of earth that forced Ramirez to fall to the ground and cover his face. The entire area fell silent and Ramirez pushed himself to his fee, brushing dirt from his clothes. He saw nothing and turned around. He gasped.

Seated a few yards away on a boulder was a something that Ramirez had never encountered before. It looked for all the world like a human, and yet there was a presence about it that screamed terror into every fabric of his being. He dared himself to move closer and inched forward a few steps.

“What’s the matter mortal? I picked this body just for you. After all I thought you would be happier with something you were familiar with? Are you not? Well hold on a few moments then.”

The creature’s body erupted outwards, muscles bloating from the skin and extra limbs sprouting from various places. It’s head twisted, the mouth opened and screamed in a high pitch note. Other mouths appeared all over its hide, and hair grew in clumps from different areas. Ramirez shut his eyes in fear and waited until he dared to open them again. When he did, the sight he saw caused him to turn around and vomit. The creature now had several heads, from that of a new born child to an old man. It’s body was a mixture of eternal growth and eternal decay. Limbs continuously grew and fell off, several orifices defecated onto the ground and tentacles oozed colourful substances. Two of the heads were locked in a passionate embrace whilst another licked at its own face with a long forked tongue, tasting the juices that ran from open sores. One head was covered in maggots and rotted and re-grew. The maggots fell to the floor and writhing amongst the excrement, swallowing it down and growing until they burst with a small pop. Ramirez gagged until nothing more than bile spilled from his mouth.

“Ah, so this form doesn’t please you either mortal?” spoke several voices all at once. “Bear with me once again. I shall endeavour to please you.”

The creatures form shifted once more, and its body shrank to normal proportions. It’s features slimmed, but became increasingly prominent. Ramirez watched as his own self grew before him. Right down to the small scar he carried above his left eye.

“How is that mortal? I think you should be happier with this. After all, if you are afraid of yourself…..then you really are doomed.”

Ramirez stepped forward gingerly, examining what was by all accounts, himself, in front of him with deep scrutiny. He finally stepped back and asked ‘Who are you?”

“A question you have already asked me once before mortal. But I shall grant you some knowledge at least. My real name you would not be able to pronounce, for I would need to cut your tongue in half. You can call me Axcilaraxis.”

“And what………do you want with me?”

“I thought that would be quite obvious mortal. I am the one that prevents you from removing that small trinket you wear around your wrist. I have been using you for travelling purposes, and I shall continue to do so.”

Realisation clicked in Ramirez’ mind that this creature was the one that had caused him so much suffering. His right hand curled into a fist by his side.

“I wouldn’t recommend trying to hit me. It would be extremely painful for you, and I rather hoped we would be able to have some sort of civilised conversation. After all, we are travelling companions.”

Ramirez let his hand unclench and then stood back. If he could humour this demon, then maybe he could get back to where he belonged. He sat down and crossed his legs.

“So then, you want to palaver. I have no doubt that you know all of my past, so let me ask the questions. Who are you really? And what do you want with me? Why won’t you leave me the hell alone?”

“Straight to the point. One of the things that I do admire about you Ramirez. Let me tell you a story. You will no doubt recognise some of it, but a lot of if will be new to you.”

“As you may have gathered if your small brain can comprehend that much, I am a demon. My powers are vast and I control hundreds of armies that wage war constantly against others of my kind in the place that you call ‘hell’. Hell is made up of hundreds of different strata’s, levels if you understand that better. Every day I continue in my quest in order to rule over all. I have three close rivals, whose power is, admittedly, equal to or stronger than my own. Raopz currently holds the title of the ‘Lord of Demons’, a title that I covet above any other. His armies are vast and his power is legendary. I could face him, but the consequences of such an action would be dire indeed. Speaking truthfully, I could hold my own against him, but neither of us would come out of the conflict the way we went in, and my armies would no doubt he decimated along with his. My other two rivals are twins that go by the name of Shapax’Ra and Shapax’Re. They hate each other as much as they hate myself and Raopz. However, another name has decided to enter the mix, a name you will know all to well. Alhacrast.”

“Aye mortal, I see you gasp. Alhacrast. He has studied long and hard in order to try and enter into our world. In a last gasp attempt, he used rituals that are only known to a certain few in order to summon a demon from my own plane. Helasp was his name, but Alhacrast somehow managed to defeat him in battle, and thus took control of his legions. Helasp was never that powerful, but Alhacrast absorbed his essence and has started to build on what Helasp has. However that is not the only problem. Alhacrast dared to sneak into my domain when I was off to war, and he stole something VERY precious to me that I would dearly like to have back, and I shall make him suffer for eternity for stealing it from me. Thus I hid part of my very being in that bracelet that you now wear in your world. I waited for years for someone with the right mind to find it. As you stumbled past, I beckoned to you senses and drew you to me. And since you already knew of Alhacrast, it made my job slightly easier.”

“So what……..you want your little trinket back and then you’re going to leave me alone?”

“Very perceptive mortal. It requires little of my energy to keep some of my life source with you at all times. I have other pressing matters to attend to. Up until now I have kept myself hidden from you. All of the blackouts you have experienced were due to my coming forth. Many of your enemies are dead because of me. Whether or not you realise it, you owe me your life countless times over. I have protected you in the face of danger and I shall continue to do so should the need arise once more.”

“And if I choose not to listen to you?”

“Do you have a choice mortal? You can’t remove the bracelet with my presence, and if you really angered me, I would simply bring your soul to my palace and torture you forever more. Simply put, no, you have no choice. Besides, I can give you power in return for your helping me. For example………feel this.”

Axcilaraxis flicked his fingers and Ramirez felt his body tingle all over.

“What are you doing to me?”

“Nothing that will cause you harm I assure you, although if I wanted to I could. No, I am merely presenting you with a gift of goodwill. Your reflexes should now be even greater than you had before. Should you continue to serve me well, I shall continue to reward you. But should you decide to play me for a fool………”

Axcilaraxis’ opened his mouth to reveal to sets of teeth, all razor sharp. His eyes glowed a deep red and his hands started to transform into huge claws. Ramirez pushed himself back and supported himself with his arms.

“CROSS ME RAMIREZ, AND YOU SHALL PAY THE PENALTY.”

His eyes screwed up tightly, Ramirez shouted ‘OK YOU WIN! JUST LET ME GET BACK TO MY OWN GODDAMN WORLD!”

“AS YOU WISH MORTAL. JUST REMEMBER………YOU SERVE ME!”

Ramirez felt himself slipping once more.

He jerked into alertness back in his old surroundings. Tarindil was still sound asleep, now stretched out as the early morning sun cast its rays across the land. Ramirez’ blanket was half on, half off the gray elf and he decided they had better get moving. He looked back at his right wrist, to see the bracelet glowing. A voice echoed in his brain. “YOU SERVE ME NOW!”

Wondering if his life could in fact get any worst he threw a small pebble onto his companions chest. The gray elf woke with a start and sat bolt upright.

“WHAT THE? WHO? WHERE….,” he babbled. Ramirez started to laugh.

“Come on friend. We might as well get moving since its starting to get light.”

“You woke me from a brilliant dream. I was dreaming of a huge feast, with lots of music and the best food around. And some of the females there…….they were a sight to see.”

“Well then heartthrob, get a move on.”

They packed away their gear and started to move off. Tarindil looked at Ramirez as they walked down the side of a large hill.

“What did you dream of then? Anything interesting?” he asked.

“Demons,” said Ramirez. And continued onwards without a word.

Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 at 06:32 (GMT -5)

After a few hours they had reached a summit. A few hundred yards down, a large opening in the ground cropped up. There they saw a large figure, and an even tinier one. "Foe?" Tarandil asked. "Friend, or we should hope still by now." The dark elf replied.

"Whadda ya mean we's waitin? Whadar shoot 'em, Whadar shoots 'em good. We no need 'dems help." Lawf'okog sighed, replying for the third time in the past ten minutes, "We need their help. Besides, we did leave them." Whadar grumbled under his breath about smelly elves.

The orc had been watching the two for over an hour. The gnome every so often popped up, and pretended to fire at creatures. After a few swigs of the booze that gnome carried, anyone would see things. The dwarf walked over and said, "Anything yet?" The orc grunted, and picked up his things.

"Hail!" came a voice from the top of the hill. Lawf'okog squinted and saw two figures. They were both of the same height, ones' skin fairer then the other. He smiled and replied, "Wondering when you'd get back? What you do anyway?" Ramirez grinned and replied, "Paid back an old friend." with his daggers in his hands, twirling them expertly.

Whadar ran out and yelled, "I killed dat mummy, Whadar killed him good. Phew Phew, phew phew phew phew." Lawf'okog laughed and replied, "I met an old friend as well."

Out from a mountain behind the cave, two figures walked down. "Hail, bastards." the orc called, his voice calm. Tarandil looked up, his eyes quizzical for a second, then understanding. "Listen, we had to go. We would've told you, but we couldn't." The orc laughed and replied, "Heh, yeah. Too busy off fighting. There's blood on your sword, elf. And there is also on the others. Thought he couldn't be trusted, eh?".

Tarandil replied, "No, no-" The orc cut him off, "Was that a lie as well? I presume the troll didn't mind. I bet he was in the loop too." The orc walked up and punched the elf straight in the jaw. Tarandil fell, tasting blood in his mouth. The dragon on his shoulder squeaked and fell off. Ramirez had his daggers out at the ready, but Thurgins axe cut him off. The troll stopped further bloodshed with his deep voice, "There was no "loop". He left, I left. We should've told you."

The orc balled his hands into fists, then relaxed them. "Fine, I...I...forgive you. I don't take back my punch, he deserved it." The others laughed, until Tarandil yelled ,"Haha, yeah, help me up." The dwarf helped him up and said, "Now, we going in or not?"
-My brother
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 at 14:09 (GMT -5)

The cave that they entered had a foreboding air about it. The first level contained nothing of interest. The second was no different. The third contained a huge room with a battle arena in the center. Around it rating traders sold may kinds of foods. Cooked lizards, fried bats, rat tails, and cooked roach were all on the menu. They quickly discovered that the cockroaches and rat tails did not make good eating but they bought all of the other food that the traders stocked.

"Doyouthinktheyhavesomecandytoo?" asked Loli.

"No." came Tarindil's quick reply. He then looked around to reassure himself of the fact.

They proceeded farther into the massive dungeon.
The next two levels were normal. The sixth level, however, was anything but normal. The entire level was one gigantic room. Gasps echoed throughout the cavern. Thurgin could not even see the walls while Tarindil got a full picture of the massive size of the place. Herbs grew in various patterns in the cavern. The next thing the company noticed was a jacklewere which quickly was reinforced by a veritable army of jackles.

-Maelstrom
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 at 09:55 (GMT -5)

“Everyone get into a circle,” barked Thurgin. “Hurry now, these jackals look mighty hungry.”

The companions didn’t argue with his wise words and slipped into a circle formation. The two elves stood side by side, blades drawn with Loli flapping his small wings just above them. To Ramirez’s right stood the huge orc, a snarl on his face as he started to out growl the jackals. To his right stood Lawf’okong, who already had a spell on his lips that was ready to cause some damage. Whadar stood next to the troll with his artefact crossbow cocked, a drunken a look in his eye. Next to his left and about as high, the dwarf stood stock still, axe in hand and waiting for the scavengers to make their move.

The jackalwere arched its back and let out a low hiss. Jackals appeared as if from nowhere, continuing to surround the companions. Lawf’okong had been counting the numbers, had reached around forty, but then gave up when a fresh wave appeared. None of the jackals seemed willing to attack just yet however, they were content to just envelop them. A silence filled the air, interrupted only by the heavy breathing of the six adventurers and the panting of the canines. Seconds seemed like minutes.

“Aw….nuts to this,” said Ramirez to Tarindil, and charged.

All hell broke loose.

Sweeping into the jackals like an elf intent on destruction, Ramirez soon found himself fighting for his life, which was exactly how he liked it. His daggers flashed down, severing arteries and ripping huge holes into the canines hides. Slavering jaws snapped for his neck and latched onto his arms and legs. Laughing in his high pitched way he didn’t seem too bothered about the goings on. A jagged tooth ripped a huge tear down his side, but he paid it no heed as he dispatched the offending creature with a blow to the side of the face.

Jarlgan decided to copy the dark elf’s action and charged the pack. Faced with a huge being of destruction, the jackals were soon decimated but he found himself surrounded by more of them. As his huge sword crashed down, one jackal took it upon itself to jump onto the orc’s huge back and bring him to his knees. Jarlgan reached up with his left hand and grabbed the jackal by the scruff of its neck and threw it into the pack. Being natural scavengers, a couple of the jackals actually attacked the fallen canine until its death bark rang out.

Tarindil calmly floated through the battle with his mithril longsword sweeping outwards. Loli floated beside him, spraying water into the midst of the battle and teleporting away anything that came to close to his master. Between them they wondered what all of the fuss was about, since every jackal they came into contact with lasted for mere seconds until it either vanished or died.

Thurgin was having problems however. Not with the jackals but with the height situation. Each jackal was coming at him almost head on, so he found himself bulling through a mass of four legged bodies and trying to locate his comrades in arms. His axe snapped out, decapitating one beast and then sweeping up with a forearm strike that caused another to part with its internal organs. He could feel the jackal’s jaws and claws bouncing from his helmet which was giving him a small headache and making his ears ring.

Whadar was running around in a crazy fashion, shooting the jackal’s straight in the face if he could. Being so small, he sometimes went around relatively unnoticed, until the jackals actually realized that something small was going around and causing a vast amount of pointy death. Whadar was resourceful however, and homed in on the huge orc, whom the jackals had now learnt to be wary off. Under the safety of Jarlgan’s shadow, he continued to rain down bolts of fury upon his foes.

Lawf’okong’s staff rose, cracking one beast upside the head and then sweeping the legs out from under another. His right arm snaked out and a bolt of sizzling acid swept outwards, melting several jackals where the stood. He flicked the staff to his right hand and then used his left to shoot a barrage of cobwebs behind him which caused the jackals to howl in anger as their appendages became tangled.

The battle raged on, with the adventures coming out on top. Soon the numbers were falling, and Thurgin looked for the lead jackal, the jackalwere. He spotted it at the back of the pack, panting heavily and looking almost exhausted. He smashed one beast out of the way as he charged, hoping to catch the magical beast off guard. He was in luck as his weapon causes bone to snap and the jackalwere flopped to the floor with its spine severed. Seeing its leader dead, many of the dogs fled the scene, and the companions had little trouble dispatching those that were left.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/17/2007 at 01:53 (GMT -5) by PeanutGod]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

Weary from the battle, they quickly ran to the stairs that Loli had discovered leading deeper.
Everyone did not want to linger in that hellhole for too long after all, but Lawf'okong first picked a lot of herbs, and helped mend everyone's wounds with some Spenseweed.
After going down the stairs, the same excited feeling that they had at the cave where they found the puppy came into the group. Tarindil spoke to Loli,"Loli, go check to see what monsters are amassed in that giant chamber behind sealed doors, look through that crack below the knob." "okmasterillbebackinasecond"
True to her word, Loli was back in no time, and seemed scared,"therearetonsandlotsofjelliesandthey're
makingtonsofpoppingsounds"

All of a sudden, after a brief silence and a stop to the popping, the door burst open like a dam! Lawf'okong stared in disbelief as he saw hundreds of oozes, blobs, jellies, and a couple of stone and death oozes. Maybe in the last century, but not this one could he take on these creatures.
"These enemies are too much for us, run for the stairs!!!"

Whadar quickly shot a couple quarrels into a red and larger ooze, and it quickly dissolved the quarrels and healed the wounds.In drunken fear, he ran after the large troll and hopped on his back.

After what seemed forever, they found the stairs, and a strange smell came to their noses. Taking no notice of it, dismissing it as orc feces,they continued on without paying any special to the strange item that Loli picked up. After much searching, they found the stairs, where they found themselves in a large and huge cavern, filled with lots of dwarves of every kind.Thurgin said,"Come, let us go ask the village elder of recent events.But first let us pure ones go sacrifice for our dieties in the chapel."

While Lawf'okong and Thurgin were sacrificing and blessing their water, Ramirez was pacing around a large chamber, with no means of entrance. He could not even find a way in, which frustrated him greatly.He stopped searching as soon as the rest of the group walked toward an old looking building, of special importance.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 at 09:55 (GMT -5)

Jarlgan, Ramirez, Tarindil, Loli, and Whadar entered the building.

"I am Thrundarr, Greetings, and welcome to my humble settlement."

"Thank you, Thrundarr," said Whadar, mimicking his tone and pronunciation, though with a slightly higher pitch, "We are honored to be guests in your magnificent abode."

"youwouldnthappentohaveanyjobsforuswouldyou?"

"What? Speak up, and slower if you please."

"He means to ask if you have any quests for us" Tarindil translated.

"First, slay a Gorgon to prove your valor. If you succeed I will reward you."

Whadar answered quickly before anyone could protest "Thank you, Thrundarr we will return, when we have slain a Gorgon."

They left and went to examine the shop.

"If we want to slay a gorgon, we will need petrification resistance." Tarindil observed.

"Like this?" Asked Ramirez.

"Perfect!" said Tarindil "How much?".

"6000 gold pieces."

They rushed out of the shop. Ramirez was beet red.

Meanwhile Thurgin and Lawf'okong made their visit to Thurundarr.

"Who are you, Dwarf, and you, Troll."

"I am Thurgin, Paladin of the Mithril Book."

"I am Lawf'okong the ancient."

Thrundarr was surprised to be looking on one of Lawf'okong's status, and bowed.

"Would you have any quests for us, Thrundarr." Thurgin asked.

"First, though your valor is evident in your titles, I must first ask of you this: slay a Dark Elf. If you succeed I will reward you."

"Very well, Thrundarr." Thurgin said as he left the building.

"The fool should not have asked that of ME." Lawf'okong fumed with rage.

"It is our fault for asking. If a warrior asks a quest of one like Thurundarr he must first give a quest to slay a creature before any other quests may be assigned. 'Dark Elf' was the obvious choice. Come lets go to the inn."

Thurgin, Ramirez, Loli, and Whadar arrived at the inn five minutes after Thurgin and Lawf'okong. Nearly all of the patrons were singing merrily. Despite his mood, Lawf'okong found the dwarvish brew to be very good.

"For there's nothing Torgall cannot do with a barrel of his finest brew! Aye!"

The song ended. Thurgin roused Lawf'okong and the company left Dwarftown and discussed matters.

"I can get the amulet cheap." Interrupted Thurgin, "Though I don't know why the shopkeeper was so ludicrous with his pricing. He must either have a special grudge with Dark Elves, or a grudge with you specifically."

"It doesn't matter." Tarindil replied, "All we need is another Dark Elf, and the Gorgon from that vault we say in the so-called Unremarkable Dungeon. We might buy some new spellbooks while we are there."

"There are other matters to consider..."

The discussion went on.

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 at 11:31 (GMT -5)

"Well," said Lawf'okong,"Thrundrarr asked us to slay a Dark Elf, so Ramirez, where do your people hide?"

Ramirez retaliated,"My people do not 'hide', troll. Last time I checked your race hid in the monsters gathering rocks for fun."
Lawf'okong surprisingly did not get angry."I am different, but that's besides the point. Thurgin and I need to kill a Dark Elf, and what do you have to do?"

" We must slay a Gorgon," said Tarindil."Though I do know where to find one.
Lawf'okong said,"Very well. Now if Ramirez would just help us, we could all get somewhere."
Ramirez said,"Well, since you're going to cry about it, I'll tell you where to kill yours:here."
All of a sudden everyone except Lawf'okong and Ramirez looked around, as if expecting a dark elf to apperar out of nowhere. Lawf'okong chuckled,"Ah, I see Ramirez. Would you like Thurgin to do it?"
Jarlgan growled,"What the hell are you guys talking about?" Ramirez laughed,"I am a Dark Elf, and you have bracers that cause fast healing, so here's what we would do: Thurgin would mortally wound me, preferably just bleeding, I can take the pain, Lawf'okong would carry me to Thrundrarr while I looked like I was dead, he would get the reward, and your nifty bracers Jarlgan would heal me almost instantly."
"What do you mean that my bracers will heal you?!?!They're perfectly normal."
Now it was Thurgin's turn to laugh,"You would not be able to fool anyone Jarlgan. Have you not wondered why every single dwarf in this city has stared at your arms? They are all skilled in Metallurgy, and around your arms there is the artifact, the Bracers of War. My ancestors made it with the help of my diety. Now, would you be kind enough to give Ramirez the bracers for about an hour?"

Jarlgan grumbled under his breath as he removed the bracers, feeling that wonderful power fading away.Ramirez put them on, and he could feel the demon inside him snicker in happiness of this new power. Ramirez shuddered at the ever-present demon inside of him, but returned to the task at hand."So, let's get going, shall we? I'm ready to get bloodied up, don't kill me...."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/22/2007 at 14:02 (GMT -5) by nOOb-mAsTeR]
Go to page 1 2 3 4

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: