Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / HELP WITH BARDS?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Yaggaz The Fool
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 at 16:49 (GMT -5)

OK. People say Bards are good, but I am terrible with them. Does anyone have any help or advice for me?

What sign? what race should I use? Strategies?

Also, it seems that taming animals isn't very useful. (first of all the animals tamed suck, and second of all I don't get the experience whem my pet kills something.) Will I be able to tame an ancient black dragon when I become a level 30 bard?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5768 days, 56 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 at 17:09 (GMT -5)

Ok, this is spoily so here's lots of space

Ok, first of all, bards get random skills. So only bards guaranteed skill(music) and race skills are guaranteed.I like raven, speed is nice.The more weight an instrument has, the more effective.Glockenspiel is best.Also, level doesn't matter. Also, if you want a beastly companion, go to the bug temple and if you have
A: Music at 100
B: Glockenspiel
C: Some Luck

You may be able to get a greater or killer claw bug as your pet, and it will never turn on you since you're a bard. Hope that helps!
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Yaggaz The Fool
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 at 19:26 (GMT -5)

oK thanks. That does help. Most of what you said I already knew, (I generally don't like to be spoiled) but the bug temple is a GREAT IDEA!!!
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6128 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 03:24 (GMT -5)

Play Bards depending on there skills.

Of course, tame animals to follow you round

If you start with find weakness and dodge, play as a fighter, if you start with concentration and archery, be a MageArcher.

Bards are sweet if you get good skills to start.

Candle born makes it heaps easier to stay alive, even if your bard starts with healing.

And sadly i do not believe you could tame a dragon. You could get one from scroll of familiar summoning if your lucky.

Hmmm. Im gonna play a bard now.

*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

5009 days, 17 hours, 37 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 04:18 (GMT -5)

Spoiler

I find it funny to start a bard as a race that gets gemology, like gnomes. Then find an ant nest and tame all of them, and let them dig the level alot. (Theretical, can't remember if this works: the ants should leave gems / valuable ore now as they dig, which you can sell later on. Though in the beginning you won't have so many places to sell, probably HMW would be the best place, and after that DT).
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 11 hours, 43 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 08:28 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
The real point of mining gems, IMHO, is getting lots of crystals of knowledge, blessing them, and improve Learning up to 22 or so.

Crystals of power are nice for spellcasting bards.

Note that Gemology is guaranteed even for bards if you play gnomish - which is also nice for getting four or more starting talents.

You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5793 days, 2 hours, 30 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 20:50 (GMT -5)

2 Yaggaz:
you may not know, but a bard with decent charisma plus well-trained killer bug equals a guaranteed win
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4153 days, 16 hours, 18 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 21:59 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
except the fact slaves/companions don't follow you to the d49

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/13/2007 at 00:07 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5793 days, 2 hours, 30 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 22:21 (GMT -5)

thats true
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
KaosKing
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 04:12 (GMT -5)

nothing guarantees a win in adom, i think we can all agree to that.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 07:19 (GMT -5)

Indeed.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 07:27 (GMT -5)

i was going to say "wish engine does".

but just memorized my char being saccrificed by djinni of cursed ring with 2k of blessed potions of exchange.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 12:06 (GMT -5)

I asked this before, but nobody responded:
Is this scenario possible:
Get a GEE, take it to D:49(I don't know much, so might be completely impossible)
Get it hostile, and in front of you, so it throws rocks towards you, propelling itself backwards
Then throwing berzio potions at it when you reach stairs, GEE's are pets, not companions, so music works too

This is all hypothetical, I've never reached this point of game(except for Siwel demo)
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 22:18 (GMT -5)

pets don't follow you from stairs of d48 to d49.
rechecked that recently:)

it's to cold to corupting and to scary. and it is your job to save the world.

i'm still a bit uncertain about creating ones at d49. these even seemed to walk on ice. but normaly there is no diference between getting pety at d49 and d50.

p.s. if pet stands before you and you throw rock backwards you will push him forward too. checked thing.

Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5888 days, 19 hours, 13 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 at 00:04 (GMT -5)

My first ultra win was with a Gray Elven Bard, but I don't remember how I started the game. I may have written it down somewhere, but I don't know where. I think I just had really good skills...
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 11 hours, 1 minute and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 at 01:39 (GMT -5)

It helps to get to level 6 or so on the first level of a weak dungeon (VD or DD). Always be ready to run, and though pets are nice to have they're mostly useful as barriers.

I've never heard people say "Bards are good" though. Bards are a challenge to play, and though they can be quite fun they're far from easy.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 at 06:19 (GMT -5)

Gnomish Bards with SLB's are easy in the beginning, provided you get a good spear and shield. If not, they can be very hard to keep alive.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

i always believed that bard's starting plan is to find bear in a forest, use his companion to distract bear while playing music.
and when to train bear in ID.

top that with a good playset of skills good zodiac and you are with good char.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 at 11:07 (GMT -5)

In the early game, for Gnomish Bards, I get strengh training by waiting in a room in ID while Strained! carrying food while raccoon is destroying rocks, giving me gems.Then sac/sell.Repeat.

Decent strategy, works sometimes sometimes not.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5831 days, 7 hours, 19 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 09:20 (GMT -5)

And getting past the 90-day limit, which basically boils down most of your wishes (80-90%, less if you have good/decent corruptions)to one: the scrolls of chaos resistance.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
DT
Registered user
MaStEr oF cHaOs EneRgY

Last page view:

6298 days, 12 hours, 57 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 09:11 (GMT -5)

Strangely enough, corruption isn't much of a problem...

Yaggaz most of the times gives me cure corruption potions and Attribute potions frequently...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. ~DT
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 09:47 (GMT -5)

honestly i never had corruption problems.

and i don't remmeber using white unicorn reset.

if you are not aiming at something like ultra chaos god you can piss on 90 days limit.

actualy i heard rumours code was supposed to doble corruption after another 90 days and so on.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 11 hours, 1 minute and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 11:01 (GMT -5)

I older versions of the game corruption would eventually double 3 times (total 8 times higher), meaning that even around dwarftown was badly corrupting and going through D50 was just hell. No one's really sure if the change to just one doubling is a bug or not.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5480 days, 2 hours, 26 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 12:23 (GMT -5)

The 6 blessed SoCR's from Khelly and the PoCC from Guth'Alak is more than enough for all my corruption needs.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
rdx
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 at 20:34 (GMT -5)

my last game - i saved socrs coz i was going for avatar ending, 300+ days passed but i ended up with 10+ scrolls (got all guaranteed ones also few from random drop not to mention 6 potions of cure corruption that i wasted by accidently dipping into another potion lol!) left in backpack when elder chaos god was dead (on no slb but i was using teleport and magic mapping to reduce turns spent at high corrupting places)
w6u6f
Registered user

Last page view:

6258 days, 12 hours, 46 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 11:49 (GMT -5)

Play Bards practically non-stop.

However, this is the first I've heard of the Killer Claw Bug Strategy. I honestly ditch my pet shortly after getting the waterproof blanket however, I was wondering how a Killer Claw Bug does in the ToEF? Would the pet die quickly because of the heat?
Nightmare
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 at 10:26 (GMT -5)

It seems like the RNG is tougher on certain characters to start with, such as merchants, mindcrafters, and bards. I have also had rough luck with all the bards I've tried.

If you can train up your starter pet a number of levels, it can become very impressive, especially the cave bear and giant lizzard. They get multiple attacks per round, better DV/PV, and can save your @$$. I like to train them in the Small Cave, with the steady stream of monsters, and with them making the kills, you can control your own level and grab all the goodies in there.

BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5171 days, 8 hours, 33 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 at 17:45 (GMT -5)

Are the tamed animals "tamed" forever?

Can you have more companions at a time?
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 at 18:18 (GMT -5)

Only for bards (as long as you don't attack them). And yes.
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5171 days, 8 hours, 33 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 at 19:13 (GMT -5)

Thanks again! :)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: