Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Drakeling acid damage

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 20 hours, 1 minute and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 at 14:30 (GMT -5)

How much damage does the acid spit actually do? I took him out with two spits with a drakeling barbarian, but it took five or so for a drakeling ranger.

Also what generates the message "the foo targets a vital spot and hits you" I almost never had this message with my Dwarvish Paladins but the low-PV Drakelings seem to get it a lot (to their death).
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 9 hours, 52 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 at 15:05 (GMT -5)

1. xd6+y x= max(2, clvl/3) y clvl/2

2. iirc, one of messages receiving criticals. i would blame low dex of drakelings. pv is not a factor.

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

ah, thanks. In that case I will try answering questions for improved Dx.

EDIT: Another one bites the dust. I can't seem to keep these guys alive. Ghoul death this time.

EDIT2: Wow, I didn't realize just how much more PV Dwarves start out with and just how important PV is to my current early-game strategy.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/19/2007 at 16:44 (GMT -5) by F50]
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3899 days, 2 hours, 52 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 00:33 (GMT -5)

In the beginning a high PV might more useful, but IMO DV is more important, since there are a few monsters (claw bugs of different kinds) that bypass PV, and DV can't be bypassed. But there also is a number of creatures with a huge to-hit modifier, like grues for a example, but then again it's quite hard to get your PV high enough for a grue not to be able to har you. Also the PV with certain equipment is always the same, but the DV can be altered by using tactics. Anyway my point is that I would rather choose a high DV and medicore PV than the other way round,
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 4 hours, 36 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

In the early game PV is definitely more important - just a few points can make you almost invulnerable to most attacks. Generally early on it's very hard to have decent DV (since you don't have the tactics skill or and decent shields and skill levels). A few decent PV improving items can make all the difference.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 11:53 (GMT -5)

DV isn't very important if you can't get to mid-game. Besides if you need DV to run away just use cowardly tactics. Monsters that bypass PV are easier to kill with berserker tactics than fighting them at normal and still having some of their attacks hit. Good DV/PV items (shields) can be attained mid-game so by that time poor starting equipment usually doesn't matter. I am not saying DV isn't good. I have never used two-handed weapons extensively because I don't want to be hit all the time. However, if I found Moloch armor I would put it on because Molochs and their ilk don't ignore PV, most monsters won't hurt you, and bugs can be squashed (or bolted) to death. Greater bugs die to one spell, Killer bugs die to two. I maximize PV within reason (not sacrificing 10 points of DV for 6 points of PV).

-Maelstrom
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4069 days, 5 hours, 18 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 08:32 (GMT -5)

In the early game, it's just really hard to get anywhere without a decent PV value. As soon as you've reached a value of 10-12, you can usually easily finish the starting dungeons and the upper CoC.

It is true that DV gets more important later in the game, when opponents tend to score really serious criticals. Even a PV of 50 won't account for much if your opponent hits for 300 HP points of damage. On the other hand, there's only so many opponents that can dish out that much... With a PV of 80 or so, you can feel pretty safe even with lower DV.

I feel it's better to either maximize the one by minimizing the other (Berserk tactics combined with high PV is a pretty nice strategy for melee fighters, while with 150 DV, PV at only around 20 is pretty OK), or to use normal tactics and try to get both as high as possible.

PS: Of course you need maximized DV in the bug temple. But that doesn't account for much in the endless DV-PV discussion. It's one place in the game, and if you go there, of course you prepare yourself! It's like preparing for the ToEF by putting on rings of ice and fire resistance granting items. No one would wear rings of ice in any other place except for fire creature vaults.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/21/2007 at 08:35 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 13:00 (GMT -5)

Quote:
"No one would wear rings of ice in any other playce except for fire creature vaults."

My wining character never found a fireproof blanket. That RoIce was very useful indeed. Darkforge is another place where a RoIce would be useful.

If you have moloch armor your PV should be near 60 (you *do* have other sources of protection other than your armor right?). Sixty hp DOES account for a lot *especially* if you are hit for 300hp. That's one fifth of your PV back. One for one, PV is better than DV if DV is reasonable (usually above 30 if you have moloch armor)

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5764 days, 18 hours, 31 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 13:08 (GMT -5)

I like DV, especially in early game. In later game, I like to have around 80-120 DV, with 20-60 PV. There's no excuse not to have good DV IMO, since the bug temple was made for that in my opinion...and toughness is easily trained if you have a hunting weapon and food preservation and you happen to know of two graveyards in the game...
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5604 days, 3 hours, 7 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 18:25 (GMT -5)

I give DV and PV roughly equal importance throughout the game. I aim for at least 15 PV in the earliest dungeons, 60/40 on very agressive by the water temple, and roughly 100/80 by D:50. Naturally that takes some smithing, gremlin scumming, and polearm training, but it's worth it.

I almost never use rings of ice. I always have a decent set of fireproof armor before doing the ToEF. I'd rather spend my ring slots on slaying.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 03:03 (GMT -5)

F50: Compare "Creature hits for 240 points of damage with 40% probability" to "Creature hits for 300 points of damage with 10% probability". Which would you rather take, especially if you expect to fight that creature for, say, ten rounds?

This is, if I understand correctly, the difference between high PV(low DV) and high DV(low PV).

Some guy: The debate is mainly on which you would choose if given the choice. I think we all agree that having ridiculously high PV *and* DV is the best, so there's no debate there ;)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 04:38 (GMT -5)

Of course it's not possible to have both extemely high, you have to choose which is highest...monks are practically guarranteed to have highest DV, right?All the monks in the HoF have like 200 DV...
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 11:28 (GMT -5)

For ten rounds given assuming the monster hits 40% or 10%

DV: 300*1 = 300hp
PV: 240*4 = 960hp

The divide for 40% vs 10% hit is a monster that hits 80 points/turn. Anything less will be better for the PV(60) fighter. Most monsters do less than 80hp/turn. Dragons, Wyrms, Balors(?), Molochs will probably do this damage in mele.(which don't really count since you wouldn't let yourself be caught by them anyways.)

DV: 80*1 = 80hp
PV: 20*4 = 80hp

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 11:49 (GMT -5)

Funny how every thread gets off-topic eventually, lol: we go from drakeling spit to DV and PV.Not that I'm complaining:D
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 12:14 (GMT -5)

funnier: it happened between the third and fourth posts :P

-Maelstrom
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5142 days, 10 hours, 30 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 12:59 (GMT -5)

[Compare "Creature hits for 240 points of damage with 40% probability" to "Creature hits for 300 points of damage with 10% probability". Which would you rather take, especially if you expect to fight that creature for, say, ten rounds?]

Well if my character only had, say, 250 HPs then I would definately take 240 and 40%.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 19:52 (GMT -5)

For the big-hitters, you generally want DV, but if you are taking several 1-70 damage hits (quickling or swarm of other mosnters) the PV will be so much better. Personally I perfer PV because most situations are 1-70 hits and over that there's always the slow monster spell.

-Maelstrom
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4069 days, 5 hours, 18 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 01:26 (GMT -5)

Even against those, a high DV will significantly decrease the number of hits with 70 hitpoints you take.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 10:49 (GMT -5)

I'd say overall, the most important though, for every char, is DV though, since barbarians for one don't have slow monster, among other non-spellcasters.

OT:Has anyone ever beaten adom with a wizard that was against using spells or wands?
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 11:22 (GMT -5)

I don't think you have to give an off-topic disclaimer for this thread. It's supposed to be about drakeling spit damage.

Beating the game with a wizard with no spells or wands wouldn't be particularly difficult, in my opinion. The main practical difficulty would be the rarity of portable teleports - only scrolls would be allowed. It would probably be worth making tele traps next to stairs in the COC by digging pits and covering them with blankets, to save on game time and corruption.

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 12:04 (GMT -5)

Blankets can make teleportation traps??? Everyone can get spells, even a mindcrafter. Wands of wonder and a spellbook will allow a barbarian to cast slow monster.

It is hard to get an appalling DV:

shield, the Dodge skill, (Tactics for running away only,) smithing(no DV hit for moloch armor and good bonuses to other equipment not counted here), and weapon skills.

12+8+14+(50)=34(74)

This is not counting and the Paladins lvl 32 special (+12 DV) or the fighters DV specials, other equipment, or Dx bonuses.

EDIT: another thing I thought of is polypiling amulets for AoLS that should keep you alive :P.

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/23/2007 at 15:34 (GMT -5) by F50]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

When I say 'non-spellcaster', I mean via normal means, or typical spellcasters. In my mind, the only classes that "seem" to make good spellcasters are:
elementalists
wizards
druids
priests
paladins
necromancers
healers
monks
and bards

all the others just don't seem to be spellcasters IMO.

I never knew that blankets could make teleportation traps...could you clarify on that Some Guy?
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 19:48 (GMT -5)

elementalists might have some problems with written magic, iirc.

about blankets. if you cover hole with blanket you get a trap. type of trap depends on square you do so. it follows normal trap allocotion.
it is sort of funny making fireball trap from waterproof blanket but that is the way Adom works.
imho all such traps should be covered pits without snakes.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 at 03:56 (GMT -5)

So do drop it on the trap, or ':u' it?
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 at 07:01 (GMT -5)

Use it.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 at 10:06 (GMT -5)

Yes, logically it should only make covered pits, but there's no reason we can't exploit this.

Covering pits with blankets is also the only way to make traps on a grassy square. I gremlin scum in the top level of the dwarven graveyard, because there's a high danger level but no background corruption. You can make the requisite water traps by digging a hole or two in the right place and covering them with plain blankets.

Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 at 10:42 (GMT -5)

with any blankets. plain, water/fireproof.

plain ones ofcourse are best to waste.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: