Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Unnatural aging

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Wanderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 04:11 (GMT -5)

Is there anyway to protect yourself against unnatural aging? A very promising character of mine just died of old age, and it didn't seem there was much I could do. Also is there any way to restore lost attributes? Or do I just have to train them back up?

I've never had much luck with this game. This last character looked like he was going to break the mold and go far. He had the only non-guaranteed artifact I've ever had, and some other decent gear. He also found a bunch of spellbooks. Usualy my casters only have 3-4 different spells. This guy had a page full of them. Alas he died in the dwarven halls level 2. I thought I could sneak through with veil of the gods. Unfortunately I ran into a Lich Lord who's summoned minions trapped me and I ended up dying of old age.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4153 days, 19 hours, 5 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 05:03 (GMT -5)

don't know better protection than being an elf:) gnomes and dwarfs are pretty safe too.

you can snatch Long lived talent and quaff all potions of longevity.

as stats go you can retrain and then get extra bonus for fixing age problems.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5768 days, 3 hours, 43 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 07:45 (GMT -5)

More advice: stay out of dwarven halls unless you're extremely confident, or extremely careless:D
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 14 hours, 30 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 09:04 (GMT -5)

Gotta second that. Also, there are no lich lords. It probably was a lich king, and therefore probably the realization of the Dwarven Halls risk.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 16:15 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I can't tell you how many promising chars of mine have died in those halls. I used to think that the forest was too much of a hassle, but it definitely is alot safer, especially if you have invisibility and two shields.

Oh, another tip to you, Wanderer:if you don't want to see any more of those liches, then I'd advise that you don't dig graves that have treasures...the prizes within could cost you your life again.

I HATE EMPEROR LICHS!!!!!!!
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5607 days, 12 hours, 20 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 23:17 (GMT -5)

I don't want someone telling me this is too spoily for the Adom forum, so I'll put it in the tags to be safe.

Spoiler
Controlled teleportation, invisibility, paralyzation resistance, and seven league boots. If you have at least three of these four, you should be able to make it through the dwarven halls.

On my current character, when tackling the DH, I used the magic map spell to find the stairs, wands of monster detection to make sure the destination is clear, and controlled teleport to get directly there. I'm using an especially flimsy character, so that's not paranoid but necessary.

The best way to avoid unnatural aging is to avoid melee contact with ghosts absolutely all the time. I know that's easier said than done. Potions of youth remove aging, potions of longevity extend your lifespan.

The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Soira x
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 23:52 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
you can easily bypass ghosts. None of them sees invisble. even ghost kings.
Wanderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 04:12 (GMT -5)

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll try to the forest next time. Both times I've gotten this far I've ventured into the halls (and perished!).
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 04:36 (GMT -5)

Oh, and trees don't like fire:D
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5480 days, 5 hours, 13 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 12:32 (GMT -5)

Some more spoilers:

Spoiler

For maximum safety in the DH enter DH:1 for one turn. Do animated forest. enter DH:2 and read blessed scroll of magic mapping. Go directly to stairs (w/ teleportation if its far, a wand of digging and will do if its closer). DH:1 is *much* safer and you probably will be able to walk without extravagant danger or just fast (you now know where the up stairs are). When you are ready to do the water temple a tension room (not mixed!) might be a nice bonus on DH:1.

If you don't have a scroll of magic mapping it is probably best to wait until you are ready for the water temple and then do DH:1 to the down stairs so you know where the both stairs are for DH:2.

"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Nightmare
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 13:35 (GMT -5)

One of the worst things that can happen in DH is to see this all of a sudden ----@-----------

Guess what? You just got breath bolted by an ancient something or other (dragon, wyrm, karmic, ect) from so far away you can't even see them!!! And guess what else? If you're in a narrow hallway with no quick escape, and you don't have teleportation or a wand of digging (or immunity to whatever element is blasting you), you're screwed. You may get killed in the first or second hit.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: