Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Animated Forest

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Wanderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 09:53 (GMT -5)

This is the 3rd time I've gotten this far. The other 2 times I opted for the Dwarven Hall (and died miserably). This time I'm in the Animated Forest. I've made it pretty far across, but it seems that I'm a bit stuck now. I've been waiting a while and no openenings are becoming available. Is it ok to attack the trees?
Wanderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 09:57 (GMT -5)

Well I just hacked my way through the forest, then chugged potion of invisibility and finaly made it through. I'm excited! I've never been this far.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5764 days, 9 hours, 44 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 09:59 (GMT -5)

Ok, first of all, are you wielding either two shields or a shield and spear? DV is of the essence in the forest. Also, you could try teleporting yourself across the forest, or teleport away the trees.

If you attack the trees with fire, they will all become hostile, whereas if you just attack them in melee, they won't all become hostile. If you don't have means of teleportation, and don't have good DV or attack, then you may die from the fighting, or worse, starvation:(
Edit:Whoops, didn't see that you found a solution:D
Also, if you're new to ADOM, and don't want to be spoiled, you'd be well advised to ask questions in the 'adom' section, for spoilers will ruin the experience, though I'll give you a tip for what's ahead:if you find a dying sage, don't talk to him,try to save his life.And if you enter an area that has death and corpses everywhere, close your ears:D
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/26/2007 at 10:02 (GMT -5) by nOOb-mAsTeR]
Wanderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 10:18 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the reply!

I'm already well spoiled. I've had ADOM for years. After a while I finaly gave in and read the guide book. :)

Unfortunately I've just spoken to Khelvaster. If I want to complete the quest do I have to go back up through the forest? I saw another up-staircase and didn't realise I had walked into the dwarven halls. A greater demon nearly did me in, but I defeated him and ran back to the stairs(with lower stats than I had before :( )
Wanderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 10:19 (GMT -5)

I would edit my post but I'm unregistered so I can't ;)

I meant to say Thrundar's quest.

Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5603 days, 18 hours, 21 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 11:35 (GMT -5)

Yes, you have to go back up through the forest or dwarven halls to reach Dwarftown again. It's not easy.

I find that you can only cross the animated forest two or three times before too many hostile trees block your way. You can make crossing the forest somewhat easier by digging a path all the way around the north and east sides of the forest with pickaxes or wands of digging. Trees will still spawn in your pathway, but you can't get surrounded by more than 2 trees at once.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 1 hour, 6 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 11:36 (GMT -5)

you don't have much to do bellow forest. especially with drained stats.

game should have written quest is complete. you can collect reward in dwarftown. there are no mail daemons in Adom (basicaly there is one, water daemon iirc)
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 11 hours, 14 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 11:39 (GMT -5)

Go animated forest the first time or two and by then you should be able to get through the halls esp. if you know where the two of the three staircases are from spending one turn in each hall. The other can be revealed by a blessed scroll of magic mapping.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Wanderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 21:11 (GMT -5)

Unfortunately my character met his end pretty quickly when he ran into a giant on D28

Malfurion, the high elven druid, was killed by a fire giant king.
He scored 165258 points and advanced to level 19.
He survived for 0 years, 60 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes and 25 seconds (45975
turns).
Malfurion visited 61 places.
His strength score was modified by +6 during his career.
His learning score was modified by +2 during his career.
His willpower score was modified by -1 during his career.
His dexterity score was modified by -1 during his career.
His toughness score was modified by +2 during his career.
His charisma score was modified by -1 during his career.
His appearance score was modified by -2 during his career.
His mana score was modified by +1 during his career.
His perception score was modified by +8 during his career.
He was unnaturally aged by 8 years.
He was the champion of the arena.
He ended his adventuring life on level 28 of the caverns of chaos.
1984 monsters perished under his attacks.
The following eight artifacts were generated during his adventure:
the si
the scythe of corruption "Moon Sickle"
the golden gladius "Death's Sting"
the sword of Nonnak
the elemental gauntlets
the ancient mummy wrapping
the ankh
the black torc
He possessed the following intrinsics:
He was fire resistant (enhanced through an item).
He was poison resistant (enhanced through an item).
He was cold resistant (gained through an item).
He was lucky (enhanced through an item).
Fate smiled upon him (gained through an item).
He was sleep resistant (gained through an item).
He was stun resistant (gained through items).
He was resistant to death rays (gained through an item).
He was shock resistant (gained through an item).
He was able to see invisible things (gained through an item).
He was immune to ice attacks (gained through an item).
He had the following talents: Alert, Beast of Burden, Careful, Master
Packager, Miser, Porter, Quick, Treasure Hunter.
He had a final speed score of 104 (final base speed: 104).
He was a fervent follower of Ayssia.
He asked for 9 divine interventions.
He was neutrally aligned.
He was tainted by Chaos.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 23:43 (GMT -5)

Hm, sorry it didn't work out.

I can't help but notice you haven't done any herb training. I recommend that you read up on that.

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 1 hour, 6 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 03:14 (GMT -5)

and precrowns. by time of fire giant kings you should have gotten prcrowns and maybe even crowning.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 03:32 (GMT -5)

And Seven League Boots:D
Day 60 by the time you're going down in the CoC at level 19?!If you were chaotic, you would've had several corruptions by now.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 20 hours, 31 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 03:56 (GMT -5)

DO NOT GIVE IN TO THE PRECROWNING. IT IS HEATHEN!

(Seriously, though, just because I am too lazy to precrown doesn't mean you should be...)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Wanderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the tips. Day 60 probably resulted from me searching for the dwarven graveyard. And later on going all the way back to Terinyo because I realised I forgot to talk to the druid once I killed Keethrax. I didn't have much luck finding herbs that game. I ran into a couple of patches here and there but not enough to do a lot of training.

Any advice for precrown/crowning? I always try to sac monsters. This seems to get me to "very close". Then the monsters start coming less and less and I end up leaving because I ran out of food.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

Remember to bring a significant food surplus when you start working on precrowning. Also, monster generation seems to slow down if you stay on the level for a long time; try leaving the level for a turn and go back to speed up generation.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 11 hours, 14 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

I usually have 2000 gp and I go back to terrinyo for food every once in a while. Altars next to the stairs to PC:5 or in PC:5 work very well. I usually bring the ants from the PC into the altar as well (avoiding the ants the first time). In the VD or DD its just wait (and sac), leave, come back, wait (and sac), get food, come back. Traversing the level itself to pick up monsters just wondering around helps too.

EDIT: read the guidebook for restrictions on pre/post crowning.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/27/2007 at 11:15 (GMT -5) by F50]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 16:56 (GMT -5)

If you get an altar on PC:2 or PC:5 and six(especially if you are a lucky bastard and get the altar generated right near the vault:D)

If you're level one, you can get to very close extremely quickly if all you do is sac, and if you're a troll, since you won't level up.Of course then the level thing is a bad thing too...
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

I don't like to sacrifice vault monsters. They drop far more items than monsters that are randomly generated. Those extra items don't stay on the altar, do they?

I think my ideal precrown of all time was on PC:6, but that was because there was a beehive near the altar. An entire parade of bees flew right up to heaven.

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3599 days, 22 hours, 11 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 at 00:05 (GMT -5)

"An entire parade of bees flew right up to heaven."
That was good :)). I've gotten altars generated on PC5 quite often... twice in the past two weeks.
For the Horde!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: