Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Your alignment?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5768 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 at 13:18 (GMT -5)

I was wondering about how each of us on this forum would describe ourselves in real life's alignment. In real life, the scale would probably be similar:

L+ completely:Jesus
L+ Barely: Silent Monk in asia
L:nice old lady down the street that bakes you cookies:D
LN: Old church ladies, not too high since they gossip:D
N+ and NL: Some people
N= : Most people
N- and NC: Alot of people
CN and C: Petty criminals, bad kids
C-: Rapists, serial killers, anyone who goes to prison for very bad stuff.

I'd pretty much say I'm a N=, since as the guide says,I do bad stuff to further my cause, but I still do good things to keep my rep up:D

What do you guys see yourselves as, and I find it funny how I have NEVER played neutrals before, only Lawfuls and Chaotics, despite me being somewhat neutral.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3902 days, 10 hours, 41 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 at 06:31 (GMT -5)

your scale seems to connect being a good guy with believeing in God. You can be a really good guy even if you don't believe in god.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Chaoslikemuffin
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

Im LC, the Lawful Chaotic - you think im being nice and abiding - but then *BAM!* chaos powers all the way!
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5888 days, 20 hours, 37 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 at 16:56 (GMT -5)

That's true, Morio, but most religions' tenets are made up of lawful and good things, even if some of the members of the religion don't always practice them...

I'd say I'm L, sometimes L-, and working toward L+, though I think I have a ways yet to go for that.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/6/2007 at 16:57 (GMT -5) by Kirbot]
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3603 days, 14 hours, 48 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 at 13:54 (GMT -5)

I'm N+... planning to stay that way. I'm usually a nice person, helpful and all, but sometimes I just do exactly what I want, even if that means doing some C stuff.
For the Horde!
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5449 days, 5 hours, 26 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 18:58 (GMT -5)

I'm L. I try not to do bad things, occasionally have to, but am a good person.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5607 days, 10 hours, 57 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 21:25 (GMT -5)

Having L+ associated with religion is appropriate here. Alignment in Adom is also mostly a religious scale.

I'm really not sure how to rate myself. Let's go with N=, as I don't do many good or bad outward deeds.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
Ilsekko
Registered user
Sick Burdened Stunned Confused

Last page view:

5968 days, 16 hours, 48 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 09:26 (GMT -5)

i think the point is beside the religious thing..as far as i can tell, alignment is something that has to do with personality.

We're used to refer to lawful as "good" and chaotic as "bad", which translated into religious terms sounds like "jesus" to "satan", or "Onn" to "Sraxx"..but as i said its rather a matter of behaviour.
Law is identified with order and the following of the rules, chaos on the other side is identified with dynamism and personal initiative, which eventually results in breaking the common order of things and creating one's own rules.

Thus said, religion is something more personal, i'd say for instance that a lawful catholic acts literally as its said by the church authorities, while a chaotic catholic(nice pun), though still believing in the principles of christianity, will probably interpret such principles by his own experience of life, not caring if what he does is in line with the religious authority.

A lawful priest will never even think about getting married, while a chaotic one would probably consider the possibility..and there may as well be lawful atheists(i.e. an atheist cop!).
Hope ive not been too messy!
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5607 days, 10 hours, 57 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 15:59 (GMT -5)

Yes, good points. If we want to consider our real life "alignments", we're best off temporarily forgetting our religious alliances. In Adom, however, behaviour and religion are more interconnected. I'd suggest that Adom's alignment system should be more complete, except that this game is complicated enough already.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5617 days, 19 hours, 22 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 at 03:58 (GMT -5)

IMHO the ADOM alignment scale is too limiting. Practically it just ranks people as good (L), bad (C) and undecided (N). Also, it practically uses a person's piousness to determine HOW good, bad or undecided one is. Me, I'd estimate I'm about N= or N+ on the ADOM alignment scale (not L since I don't believe in big G).

I prefer the D&D alignment scale and estimate I'd be something like LN in that.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Tianjin
Registered user
for monsters - Death incarnate

Last page view:

5603 days, 21 hours, 27 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 05:49 (GMT -5)

I'd have to go with NC and situational ethics - that way I can justify whacking inconvenient NPCs

Conversation with Myself:

Me: Do I need this guy to round-out my kill list?

Myself: Yeah.

Me: Oh, look, he's foaming at the mouth! Mad NPC! Kill it!

(looking at corpse)
Myself: Yep, didn't run fast enough - that's proof of madness right there. Look at his mouth - there's bloody froth, he was mad alright.

Try the TiLiCat! It's experience!

Tiger, stuffed with deboned Lion, stuffed with deboned Wildcat, and slow roasted with a mix of herbs. (served raw for Trolls)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/18/2007 at 07:11 (GMT -5) by Tianjin]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5768 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 at 15:30 (GMT -5)

Maybe your schizophrania would explain your Darwinism topic....just kiddin':D
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 13 hours, 7 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 08:58 (GMT -5)

Isn't it more correct to say that having an alignment in ADOM does not equal being a worshipper of the correspondent deity? You can be of any alignment while still completely ignoring the gods, after all.

I think I'd really prefer the D&D scale, and I think I would consider myself Lawful Good. I try to do what is right, and I try to do what is good, and most importantly I believe the two are in almost all cases identical (But I could be wrong).
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 2 hours, 30 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 at 13:58 (GMT -5)

In game, I like being chaotic, so I can kill shopkeepers and other NPCs for experience without getting doomed or risk losing crowned status. Don't forget pickpocketing and backstabbing everthing without a care. Plus it's a whole lot of fun! I turn neutral to grab some quests and items when it pleases me.

In my life, I'm more NL, I do more good things than bad things overall. On my good days anyway. I'll go on an evil streak from time to time so I don't go up to L.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: