Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / 13th a Week Away

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5885 days, 11 hours, 25 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 at 17:22 (GMT -5)

So, are we going to do a competition/challenge for it? I haven't seen anybody saying anything about it very recently, although there is a week yet to go before Friday the 13th. Just thought I'd mention it.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5764 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 at 14:06 (GMT -5)

I hosted last challenge, someone else can this time...
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5142 days, 9 hours, 7 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 at 08:10 (GMT -5)

I'll do it if Soira doesn't want to. And also I can put some PR on the rec.ADOM.group-thing.

Let this be the pre-game discussion thread, and then a new thread will be opened on Friday the 13th, where we add and edit our characters as they progress.

Are the following settings what we agreed on:
* Start game on Friday the 13th of april.
* Start a random character
* Standard Challenge(tm) rules apply: You take the first starsign you get, you take the first random character you get, you let stats be determined randomly. Play version 1.1.1.
* Special rules for this challenge: Your character will start out cursed, and shall never remove this intrinsic. Also, the character shall not gain either lucky or fate smiles intrinsic, nor wear items which grant these abilities.
? Question -

Considerations:
You can never sac at an altar to receive higher piety the "very pleased"
You may never eat karmic beings.
You can never drink from pools.

Corollary:
No crowning, precrownings.
If you become doomed, you are ...doomed for the rest of the game.

Following artifacts are no-no:
Bracers of war
platinum girdle "True Strength"
rune-covered heavy mace "Purifier"
ankh
sapphire amulet "Preserver"
ring of the master cat

Items which cannot be worn:(obviously):
amulet of luck, ring of luck

Items which cannot be used:
Scroll of luck

Two questions I have:
? Should we avoid accidental usage of these items? Meaning we cannot wear unIDed amulets, rings, nor read unIDed scrolls (unless we are 99,7% sure it is indeed an ID scroll)
? Will getting high piety by other means than altars remove curse/dooming or add luck/fate? I'm thinking about negative piety bug. This would give a way to get crowned, even, and thus being able to do a special ending. What do you guys think, BAN it from this game, or allow (provided it does not mess with our cursed status)
EDIT: Just realized you cannot get crowned while cursed (though it was just doomed). So you could get high piety with this method, but never any kind of crowning.

There was some talk about adding more challenge to this, but I'd say we got enough on our hands now...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/8/2007 at 08:14 (GMT -5) by Molach]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 18 hours, 39 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

sounds good.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5764 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 at 14:29 (GMT -5)

I think that the Platinum Girdle should be allowed. Kudos to anyone who can manage that, let alone get it while cursed the whole game.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 at 17:33 (GMT -5)

I put it there for completeness' sake. Since it is only gotten on D:50 anyway, it won't matter much. If anyone are masochistic to go after it, they will surely be forgiven.
gravel
Registered user
if i'm not ADOMing i'm working

Last page view:

5869 days, 16 hours, 21 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 at 23:41 (GMT -5)

sounds good, i'm in.

i usually die quickly so this will be interesting, i'll prob get ambushed on the way to town by a balor lol
The stone giant runs away in fear. Who ever heard of a stone being scared of gravel?
Portrait
Tianjin
Registered user
for monsters - Death incarnate

Last page view:

5600 days, 12 hours, 15 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 00:47 (GMT -5)

I shall set aside my thief and join you in this poor cursed quest - though not drinking from pools is an onerous burden to me, I shall abide by the rules.

I will die like a man - and quickly, I suspect.
Try the TiLiCat! It's experience!

Tiger, stuffed with deboned Lion, stuffed with deboned Wildcat, and slow roasted with a mix of herbs. (served raw for Trolls)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 06:16 (GMT -5)

Rules were discussed and agreed upon in this thread called "Any challenges coming up"

Now, last time I (belatedly) gave out some AWARDS(tm). We'll need some this time too. Ranking will be by game score, but in addition AWARDS can be fun. Some I've thought up so far:
Highest score - AWARD
Lowest score - AWARD
Best writeup - AWARD (funny, descriptive, good language, in-character, whatever. Determine either by voting or dictatorial mandate (ME))
Most Masochistic game - AWARD (the one who made life the most difficult for him/herself. Becoming doomed voluntarily certainly qualifies)
Most Evil player - AWARD (Getting to and staying at C-, killing innocents, that sort of thing)
Most spectacular death - AWARD
Best Leading Actor - AWARD (Most lucky R/C combo for this challenge - vote for this?)
Worst Leading Actor - AWARD (Most hopeless R/C combo for this challenge. Should be easy to determine)
Best played game - Set apart by highest score, this reflects quick thinking, smart moves that saves the character out of a certain dangerous situation. To qualify, you would need a specific entry in your writeup about the hopeless position and how your ingenuity saved your bacon.
Fastest game - the first game submitted in the "results" thread. Usually a very short, nasty game...

Any more ideas?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/10/2007 at 06:18 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4069 days, 3 hours, 55 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

Worst Luck Ever AWARD.
Being trapped by uber-powerful monsters in a usually peaceful place. Getting smashed by stone block traps while you're just recovering from a major fight. Being teleported into the middle of an acid vortex tension room.

Simply put, the unluckiest death that is died.

Stupidness does not count - you have to be f***ed by the RNG so badly that no one could have possibly fared better than you.

Note that someone who does get into one of the above situations and escapes with his life is not worthy of this award - simply because it would take far too much luck to do this, which wouldn't make you eligible for winning the Worst Luck Ever AWARD. If you survive through sheer l33t sk1llz, there's already the award Molach mentioned.

EDIT:

Item destruction MINI-AWARD

Keep score of the items that were destroyed by item destruction traps during the game. The one with the most valuable items destroyed wins.

Valid points are gained by:
- All traps
- Fighting eyes of destruction and annihilators

They are not gained by:
- Falling down the rift
- Fighting blue dragons in the BDC
- Entering the Air Temple

Since these are not bad luck, but to be expected if you ever venture to these places.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/10/2007 at 08:33 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 15:01 (GMT -5)

I'm in.

Other award ideas:

most places visited AWARD
earliest dooming AWARD.
most doomed AWARD (collecting and wearing the most domming/cursing equipment)
Enemy of the Cat Lord AWARD (most cats killed)
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 8 hours, 30 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 16:31 (GMT -5)

cool down.

i have rules almost done and post them tomorrow morning as i found there i put them on my pc...
It was very nasty Easter hollidays. (i'm still in very desperate mood)

frankly i disagree on certain things:
version 1.1.1 i know some guys using exceptionally Adom 1.0.0. Why shouldn't they? and if someone uses old easy gamma it is up to him.

equipping lucky items will be allowded. Or should i lose the game for getting human brabarian who starts with luck amulet (iirc, of course)?

doomed removal restriction - thanks a lot no. if you can remove doom without removing curse you are wellcome.

iirc, loop might remove curse/doom but it dependable on ADom version.

my version of rules is coming soon. if they don't fit your needs... they will be changed.

p.s. you can call me softcore but i'm not restricting lucky intrinsinc.

p.p.s. for ones saying stuff can negate curse effect i'd recomend to remember black post about luck stacking.
having Mana at 99 burry's curse without leftover.
should we forbid +mana items? training mana? even for elven wizards?
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 17:51 (GMT -5)

Your rules will of course be even better. My list was just compilation of the discussion thread "just in case". And this is just a discussing thread too, cause the real thread is not opened. So no prob, you do it.

Dooming removal restriction was just a friendly reminder not to get doomed, because it will be hard to get away. But now I see a way to get rid of it now, and not lose cursed status. So no worry.

Hah, Human barbs actually DO start with amulet of luck. Never knew, never played one. And any hurthling could start with a cursed ring of luck.

Nothing softcore about playing perma-cursed character with no hope of crowning.

Edit: Scoring. Game score is mostly for fun, the number somewhat reflects how far one makes it in the game. But dying to a VD:1 corruption-trap-generated whimpering mass of Primal Chaos will usually give scores high in the negative(due to corruption). And after winning, everyone can "milk" the score by dragging the game on and on. Not much point in that. Bad luck is not visible in the score, nor is tough r/c combos. So Score is mostly a way to order the entries as they come in.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/10/2007 at 18:03 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 at 08:02 (GMT -5)

so rules are up.

any ideas on their improvement are wellcome.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 at 15:27 (GMT -5)

About the rule that you have to get suicidal in case you become uncursed by accident: I'd suggest that if you do become cursed, you have to try and become cursed again ASAP, through pissing off your deity or with a scroll of ill fate perhaps. If you have a cursing item, wear it until you get your curse back.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

Nah, if you curse is removed you should be disqualified/dead.

What is the message for using an (un)identified scroll of luck?

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 at 23:31 (GMT -5)

iirc, message depends on what scroll does. in our case it would be "you feel less unlucky".

silfir: can you give me a case of accidental uncursing?
besides i made warnings on most possible cases -- unID scroll of luck and high piety.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 at 07:06 (GMT -5)

This is slightly code-diving-spoily...so posting in tags.

Spoiler

scrolls of luck have the rather high danger level requirement of 12. You are not going to find one in the early game. First chance would be pyramid or ToHK or DH or DF or DG or WD lair or BIT or OC.

Anyway it is very easy to find out which scroll is ID, and after I read one ID scroll (or do dwarf quest #1) I would never ever read an unidentified scroll. So it should not be possible to have that accident. If you do, die with honor. It is after all Friday the 13th

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/12/2007 at 07:10 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 at 07:17 (GMT -5)

Okay, accepted. It just is that wicked a curse that if you ever lose it, it makes you kill yourself ;)
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

strange that if you *lose* the curse then the said *lost* curse kills you. I think its a secondary curse that makes the in-game cursing necessary for sanity (and thus life). :P

-Maelstrom
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 at 14:25 (GMT -5)

"It's a blessing... and a curse"?
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 at 19:57 (GMT -5)

Silfer wrote:

"What really sucks is that I will get in trouble with piety. Since I mustn't lose the curse, I can't heavily invest in piety, and if I forget to sacrifice stuff over a long time, I risk losing my special abilities. Of course, I've hardly played paladins, so I don't know if this is all that bad."

As I understand it only the ones you have to invoke will be lost.

This means you lose:
Cure sickness
Heal (at a late level)

There might be something in between that I've never used. I won with a Dwarvish Paladin recently but always had good piety. (and I'm hoping (in vain probably) that I will get that R/C combo)

Actually anything Dwarvish or an Elvish fighter or paladin like you got. In other words PV > 5. Preferably > 10 (but like thats ever going to happen).

Not the 13th here yet...

-Maelstrom
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5604 days, 1 hour, 45 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 at 01:56 (GMT -5)

"Item destruction MINI-AWARD

Keep score of the items that were destroyed by item destruction traps during the game. The one with the most valuable items destroyed wins."

Ha, that could have been included in the challenge. My character would be a contender for it.

The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 at 05:56 (GMT -5)

mini awards are not listed in challenge.

you still can claim this one.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 at 17:22 (GMT -5)

I shall compete for this as well. Blessed seven league boots and two scrolls of chaos resistance. Along with countless other scrolls, potions and spellbooks..:)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 3 hours, 13 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 at 01:05 (GMT -5)

How far in are you, Molach? Done the tower yet? I must say, Some Guy's achievements have been pretty amazing so far, and I'll be very impressed if you manage to beat him.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5604 days, 1 hour, 45 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 at 02:24 (GMT -5)

Maybe I can't win this item destruction award afterall. My suit of armour has held together lately, which is really a shame, lol.

My biggest item destruction moment was when an explosion-trapped door destroyed my best bow of hunting, a spare pair of SLB's, gauntlets of strength +6 (which I had just bought from the casino) and my smithed bracers of resistance (which I never found another pair of) - yet nothing else was damaged. I think the door knew exactly what it was aiming for.

My next weirdest item destruction moments were the air temple and falling down the rift - both of which destroyed my fireproof blankets. But, those locations don't count for this, according to original mini-award rules.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: