Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / funniest thing you ever done??

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
gravel
Registered user
if i'm not ADOMing i'm working

Last page view:

5871 days, 18 hours, 55 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 at 00:45 (GMT -5)

ages ago when i first downloaded this game i did something stupid that still makes me laugh years later

i made my way down the road to Terinyo - a tiny hamlet.

well having a crappy monitor i mistook hamlet to read "helmet" i spent at least half an hour reviewing the help file working out how to pick up the helmet and equip it :)

anyone else done something this funny or stupid?
The stone giant runs away in fear. Who ever heard of a stone being scared of gravel?
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 at 05:30 (GMT -5)

To me, that doesn't sound too bad, but I am not a native speaker of English, so...
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3901 days, 4 hours, 3 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

It took a long time for me to figure out the button for a normal attack, so I used to kill everythink by kicking :D
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5144 days, 11 hours, 42 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 at 08:00 (GMT -5)

I never figured out how to open locked doors. I ended up looking for the right key. And I thought this was a game like those annoying where you have to go a certain place to get a certain key, to go back and unlock a certain door. Sort of like a linear story-type RPG. So whenever I came to a locked door, I would go to some other dungeon and hope to find the key there. I had one character get as far as the arena (guess he randomly found a few keys), and got the golden gladius, and I was like ...woooow. I gave up and spoiled myself after that, wish I had found out about kicking doors, then I would have gotten further without needing to be spoiled...
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5606 days, 4 hours, 19 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 at 15:49 (GMT -5)

Hm, this isn't a stupid action, but Molach's post just reminded me of something from when Adom was brand new for me. The first time I ever found a secret door, it opened up to a room with an amulet on the floor. This made me think that all hidden rooms would have cool treasures, but the next few rooms I found left me very disappointed...
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5616 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 at 06:34 (GMT -5)

I don't usually do funny things in ADOM but at least once I had some fun in dwarftown by summoning lots of monsters around (while being invisible myself) and let them kill several inhabitants (including the priest) before slaughtering them myself. And once I turned mana temple into Bigroom mk. II by removing all diggable walls (after closing the gate, naturally). Oh, and I summoned a GM (with a wish) to destroy the altar there.

I could some time also turn the inhabitants of Terinyo, dwarftown and holeinthewall into nice little statues by summoning a gorgon and letting it loose. Or fill Terinyo, holeinthewall and dwarftown with gremlins. Or set lots of alarm traps in these places and enjoy the chaos...
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5766 days, 19 hours, 43 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

I'll have to try the gorgon thing sometime....

NEW CHALLENGE:Statue of Every Monster Challenge!

You must acquire a statue of each kind of monster that can be petrified, whether being done by Petrify spell, or having a gorgon as a pet.

NOTE: Can gorgons be petrified...?
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 6 hours, 29 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 13:47 (GMT -5)

That's not a challenge, that's just tedious. It means not only to kill all monsters, but to kill all of them the same way.

I'm wondering... What will happen if a doppleganger fights another doppleganger? Which one will look like the other and be confused?
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 at 03:21 (GMT -5)

Silfir: the thing with doppelgangers is that sometimes that "The doppelganger (lord/king) suddenly looks like <foo>. The <foo> is confused." doesn't make sense. How about doppelganger looking like a jelly ? Or a living tree ? Or a WMoPC ? That's some shapeshifting !

Hm...just got a funny thought - taking a DK pet to mana temple and let it face NV first, then watching as DK-NV and original NV argue over which is the real one...until they both turn against the PC (yep, have been playing NWN: HoTU).
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 11:30 (GMT -5)

Come to think of it: A very primitive being, confronted with a mirror image of itself, would be more liable to confusion than someone with a high degree of intelligence saying "Well DUH, it's a doppleganger" :)
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5990 days, 20 hours, 25 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 17:41 (GMT -5)

BTW, doppleganger might make a good pet, especially the 'king' one and above (emperor?). Of course, if it would first mimic PC's characteristics, and afterwards levelup fast enough.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3901 days, 4 hours, 3 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 07:35 (GMT -5)

There are no doppleganger emperors, the highest doppleganger is the king.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Nightmare
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 18:52 (GMT -5)

"There are no doppleganger emperors, the highest doppleganger is the king." -Morio

And thank goodness for that! An Emperor Doppleganger would be overkill. For Archers and Melee-ers, those kings are a nightmare. They have the same to hit, damage, DV and PV, immunities and resistances you do (IIRC), so if you've become very strong, you're in big trouble. The weaker/less resistant you are, the easier they are since you have more options for attacking them, like with wands or spells.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 18:59 (GMT -5)

That's what magic missile is for.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3602 days, 8 hours, 10 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 at 14:05 (GMT -5)

The funniest thing I've ever done happened when playing ADOM while tired and bored. I was playing a hurthling priest, and he had a lute in his inventory. Being tired, I read lube. So I was thinking, what the? Why does a hurthling "priest" have a bottle of lube in his tool slot, lol. Guess he gets lonely sometimes.
For the Horde!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 at 15:16 (GMT -5)

Lol....ADOM gets rated 'M' for Mature;D
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 at 06:55 (GMT -5)

Just had a funny idea for ultra ending. Don't know if it works, though. May be spoily, so...

Spoiler
Apparently greater molochs get insanely fast when they wear a moloch armor due to bug in monster attribute handling (or something like that). Now, what we need is:

1. figurine of greater moloch or some other way of getting a GM companion.
2. a spare moloch armor
3. an ultra ending-capable char (naturally)

Have the char summon the GM companion and drop the MA so that the companion can wear it, resulting in one insanely fast GM companion. Enter the gate and watch the companion wipe the floor with the denizens of the place...

As it is apparently not required that the PC actually kills Andy as long as (s)he is wielding ToTRR when Andy falls it could ease dispatching Andy somewhat.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 5 hours, 47 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

Slightly easier possibility:

Spoiler
Berserkers emeporers can be wished for (simpler than finding a figurine) and then you can give them a wedding ring to tame them (only if you're male, strangely). So wish for one on the Chaos plane, give him the ring to tame him, then drop the moloch armour for him to equip. You'll have a nice berserker emperor pet to take down Andy with.

Of course Andy's stats are ridiculously high, so I really doubt any pet could make a scratch on him. I'd be interested in seeing someone maybe take Andy down to critical with arrows then let some companions finish him off.

Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/21/2007 at 07:14 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4152 days, 11 hours, 4 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 at 08:10 (GMT -5)

definetely something i would like to try. somewhen.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 at 18:42 (GMT -5)

I may be able to dig up one of my previous backup save files of my human bard who had a wish engine, would probably be able to do this through some difficulties...or my necro
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4601 days, 19 hours and 53 minutes ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 15:36 (GMT -5)

I (C)hatted with a hostile farmer in the HMV, he replied "No more turnips today, yer lordship. I be all out." The farmer misses you.

LOL!
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
JerkyTreat
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 at 09:41 (GMT -5)

I was just doing the save the dog quest. My char wasn't great...just a human necro...got all the way down...zoom there's the dog right in the room by the stairs...go up a level...dog not there...must have missed him...go down...there he is and now he's following. Back up and through the level to the stairs. Right in the middle....BAM! The SILVER WOLF hits and you die.
LOL. Thing looked just like the little dog from my perspective.
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1444 days, 11 hours, 12 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 03:27 (GMT -5)

Haha, just played a game with a character who had gotten 3 corruptions before day 5 of the game, no 7LB either. Then I suddenly found a particular heavy book in my backpack.. When I checked my backpack after reading myself to death I even found a "corrupting orcish spear of corruption"!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4152 days, 11 hours, 4 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 at 21:21 (GMT -5)

i've done some testing in area Andy vs pets.

since he does all his classical tricks on them they rarely last more then a couple turns.

Spoiler

paralysis, teleporting them away, death ray.

correct me but, doesn't companions/slaves refuse to pick stuff. still workable with berserker emperor.

and figurines can be wished for so with wish engine you can expect to have lots of help in that fight. unluckily moloch armour cannot be wished for.

and good news both scrolls of familiar summoning and figurines work in the chaos plane. something i wasn't sure about.
EDIT:
JUST DONE THAT... pushed andy to critical with trident and used RoDS to produce SoFS. these gave balor who manged to land final hit on him.
received normal ultra ending.

this was ofcourse scumming from old save file, nopw i just have to do this in normal game.
pacifistic ultragod of chaos, who haven't kill any creature in the game...

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/13/2007 at 22:27 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 at 05:49 (GMT -5)

Soirana: nice one. I wasn't sure myself if it would work but apparently it's doable.

Now if the char had absolutely piles of SoFS (say, some 50+) it would be interesting filling ChAoS with friendly critters assaulting Andy (hey, if Andy can have companions there then surely the PC has just as much right for that).
Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

5883 days, 13 hours, 42 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 04:05 (GMT -5)

ive played a couple characters, so i knew that you wer supposed to drink potions.
my fifth character (or something along those lines) was an assassin. i had a whole lot of poison potion that i didnt know hwo to use.
--
my second story..
i vowed never to consult a strategy guide until after ive completed a game.
with that said, i thought that cats were an easy way to rake in experience [they generate a message, so they must be pretty exceptional, right?]

well, the kitty king wasnt too happy about that=) i think i actively hunted down cats, and killed so many of them by the time i met him.

i died=)
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6110 days, 3 hours, 45 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 21:15 (GMT -5)

[edit]

I misread a "did" for a "did not" in the previos post, and wrote up a four paragraph long "potions 101: identifying things is not a good idea" lesson.

oops.

it did contain a funny story about my first encounter with the potion of rust removal that yriggs drops.

at the time, my strategy was to drink every potion i saw, so that I would know it later. death by vomiting shortly ensued, and jharod was one room too far away.

oh, well...

die and learn

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/28/2007 at 21:21 (GMT -5) by nevered]
Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

5883 days, 13 hours, 42 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 21:19 (GMT -5)

hm?
yeah, i know about dipping now of course .^_^.
i guess i should edit my post so its a lil more clear

LOL@ drinking potions of rust removal.

wait.. vomitting can kill you??
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/28/2007 at 21:20 (GMT -5) by addjenius]
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4959 days, 13 hours, 18 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 at 10:15 (GMT -5)

In ADOM, *Everything* can kill you... If straining ones leg during exercise can kill you, vomiting up strange chemicals should definitely do so as well, think I have a few vomits on my dead list...

What a way to go :)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 at 21:01 (GMT -5)

Just look on the HoF...I've had some good laughs at how some people have died: someone once died to a rat at ID:200, someone else broke their neck falling in a grave,and some people have collapsed entire caverns upon themselves.

Hmmm...wonder if I do that in Dwarftown(kicking stairs) with an AoLS on if I'll kill everyone there and be revived....:D Massacre.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: