Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Long Sting...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4749 days, 6 hours, 59 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 at 14:42 (GMT -5)

...worth it? It has 7 damage dice and a nice +4 to your DV... If I train heavily in polearms (I primarily use swords and one-handed hammers) does it turn out to be a pretty good artifact weapon?
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5768 days, 1 hour, 23 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 at 19:43 (GMT -5)

Isn't long sting the jet black glaive? if so, don't use it for melee, throw it, it adds 66+ to hit I believe.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 06:14 (GMT -5)

Do not use Long Sting in melee. It is two-handed, and if you're not trained in polearms, a shield will get you better scores.

Throwing spears is actually a pretty nice skill to train in at some point. The rune-covered trident kicks serious ass on D:50.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5768 days, 1 hour, 23 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 10:31 (GMT -5)

It'd be nice if you could stack the TotRR, RCT, and Long Sting in you're inventory, seeing as how each one does serious damage, and long sting adds 66 to hit...which basically means if you have grand mastery with spears throwing, you're gonna hit every time.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 12:47 (GMT -5)

Throwing spears is also relatively easy to train (spear trap)
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4749 days, 6 hours, 59 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 21:57 (GMT -5)

Yeah, but Long Sting isn't exactly the best throwing weapon...I mean, it won't miss hardly but it's a 7d6...so that's, at the max, 7 die rolls with a max of 6 damage each? And it doesn't even return.

I like that, as you train with pole arms you get extra DV bonuses as opposed to hammers...I have mastery in hammers and I only get a +4 DV, while the pole arms DV bonus is +6 at skill level 7.

But then again a [+14, +7] eternium tower shield isn't bad with a +20 DV bonus in the shields group. So I dunno.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 at 17:24 (GMT -5)

7-42 damage, averaging at a 24.5. That's not bad at all. Far better than any "regular" spear, but of course unable to compare with the rune-covered trident or the Trident of the Red Rooster.

(a normal spear - 1d8 - would need a damage bonus of 20 do be equal to Long Sting! It's far more likely that you'll find a spear of devastation though - and that one *does* do much better damage than Long Sting - but won't hit as often!)

The pole arms DV is only really worth it if you use one-handed polearms with a shield, which Long Sting isn't. If you forgo using a shield, you have to deal really nice damage to make up for it, and Long Sting doesn't do that.

It's a glaive, so it was intended to be thrown.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 11 hours, 28 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 at 21:33 (GMT -5)

It's better to compare Long Sting with halberds rather than normal spears, since it's two-handed. An eternium halberd would do a similar level of damage as it does.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 at 07:58 (GMT -5)

Comparing Long Sting with halberds only only makes sense if you talk about melee... It is pretty clear that Long Sting owns all the other non-artifact polearms simply because of its to-hit, allowing good hitting chances in berserk mode, offsetting the damage advantage of the thrown eternium halberd.

In melee:
eternium halberd: +11 to-hit, 4d7+8 damage; 24 average
Long Sting: +4 to-hit, 7d3 damage; 14 average
mithril halberd: +7 to-hit, 2d7+4; 13 average
halberd of defense: See mithril halberd; add 19 DV

Long Sting doesn't even come close to an eternium halberd or a halberd of defense, and is roughly equal to a mithril halberd.

It does give speed and DV bonuses, making it a better choice than eternium halberd for those who do not wield it for fighting - but for those a halberd of defense (rare, but so are artifacts) or a quicksilver quarterstaff would be even better, yielding staff DV bonuses instead of polearm ones and even more speed. (Regarding DV, spear + shield still is the master anyway; also, you can find artifact shields of power surpassing Long Sting.)

If you get crowned with Long Sting early and it is your only notably powerful melee weapon, go for it. Training in polearms is never a bad thing. But its merit as a melee weapon later in the game is very low. Use eternium halberds from Darkforge, the rune-covered trident, or a spear+shield combo instead.

The stats of Long Sting as a missile weapon (+66, 7d4, not 7d6, by the way) are far better than those of the melee Long Sting... Keep that in mind.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5480 days, 2 hours, 53 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 at 17:05 (GMT -5)

Glaives are intended to be thrown!?

From wikipedia:

"...the blade [of a glaive] is affixed in a socket-shaft configuration similar to an axe head. Typically, the blade was around 18 inches (55 cm) long, on the end of a pole 6 or 7 feet (180-210 cm) long. Occasionally glaive blades were created with a small hook on the reverse side to better catch riders. Such blades are called glaive-guisarmes...According to the 1599 treatise Paradoxes of Defense by the English gentleman George Silver, the glaive is used in the same general manner as the quarterstaff, half pike, forest bill, halberd, or partisan. Silver rates this class of polearms above all other individual hand-to-hand combat weapons."
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: