Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / YASD

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 17 hours, 58 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 at 16:09 (GMT -5)

lvl 18 High Elven Barbarian crowned with Vanquisher was drowned despite being able to breath water by a giant Dragon Turtle. The funny thing is "lesser" characters of mine have had no trouble with these guys. Even more surprising was that he wasn't able to harm said Dragon Turtle without tremendous blows.

Does anyone have any ideas why I lost ~300hp to a breath attack? How about why I wasn't able to hurt one with vanquisher when another char with an eternium halberd slew them easily (and he was well below lvl 18).
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Markus
Registered user
Indie RPGs Geek

Last page view:

6201 days, 19 hours, 38 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 at 18:27 (GMT -5)

Got the same thing with my badass trollish elementalist, who was killing everyone on sight. Dragon turtle hit me for cca 250hp, instakill. I did't even got a chance to attack her.

These little buggers seem like a lot of trouble.

EDIT: And like 5 minutes ago, my other promising (though doomed and cursed) character got killed by werewolf lord :(

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/4/2007 at 18:29 (GMT -5) by Markus]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5764 days, 16 hours, 28 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 at 19:35 (GMT -5)

Vanquisher....fav weapon...F*** YOU F50 FOR LOSING IT!!!YOU'RE LUCKY JUST TO GET IT, AND YOU DIE BECAUSE OF A BUNCH OF WATER?!?!?WHAT THE F***!!!!!!

Just Joking:D

Ahem....think of it this way: if you're standing outside, and all of a sudden a great gust of wind blows, you get pushed a little bit right, despite the fact that you can breathe it. The water dragon is just concentrating the water and it's killing you almost like a missile cutting through you, doing tons of damage. I love Vanquisher though....such a nice weapon.

And I'm not serious about earlier writings, with caps and such. Just drank like 3 red bulls....
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4069 days, 3 hours, 15 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 06:17 (GMT -5)

YEAH!! LOSING VANQUISHER! STUPID SON OF A *****!!!!!

I think we're all just envious ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 2 hours, 33 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 08:45 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure why you couldn't harm it with Vanquisher - perhaps you just got unlucky with your hit. You sure it was a *giant* dragon turtle you killed last time? It's well known that giant dragon turtles are supremely dangerous, and that their powerful breath attack can cause hundreds of damage (breathing water just lets you swim without drowning - doesn't affect the damage of breath attacks). Even with high level characters I normally will only melee giant dragon turtles in the dark (they can't fight back then).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 10:28 (GMT -5)

Or you can tame every single giant dragon turtle if you're a bard, and if you have like 10 of them, they can kill blup's mom for you;D

"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Frim
Registered user
playing since gamma 12

Last page view:

6170 days, 11 hours, 28 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 11:08 (GMT -5)

I got a GE wizard, lvl 22, who got killed in a water dragon cave. Giant turtle dragon, took him from 220 hp to -150...I was just looking at the screen and asking...WTF?
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 23:19 (GMT -5)

Dark Red "A" = Giant Water Turtle. if you read a SoFS in the water dragon cave will the monster you create be able to breath water? I know ghuls seem to have no trouble on the top level of the ToEF if you create them there.

I was born in Raven so I was just picking up an artifact. Pity...
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/5/2007 at 23:19 (GMT -5) by F50]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 03:15 (GMT -5)

Next time, F50: Monster detection, teleportation.

You're not the first to lose promising PCs in the water cave, though. :)
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 10:56 (GMT -5)

Its my seccond or third high-elven barbarian though to die to it. The others got slain by the water dragon...I want to see if a lvl 18 high elven barbarian with vanquisher can do it. I also wan't to see how well paralysis and stunning work. Guess I still have the backup :(

-Maelstrom
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4599 days, 16 hours, 38 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 16:10 (GMT -5)

I've had a number of characters killed by the water breath attack. I made a bug report about it on the official ADOM site, I think TB wrote back something about how the attack was the creature forcing water down the characters lungs. Maybe too much pressure makes you pop? I don't know.

It seems ridiculously excessive in the damage department. It would be one thing if there was some way to gain resistance to such an attack, but I don't think there is. It's better than death ray.

Pity the Fairy Dragons certain bards start out with, can't utilize the water breath attack as powerfully as the turtles and the water dragon can.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3600 days, 4 hours, 55 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 16:57 (GMT -5)

How hard can water damage while under water?
For the Horde!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 17:30 (GMT -5)

Look back to my earlier post:

"Ahem....think of it this way: if you're standing outside, and all of a sudden a great gust of wind blows, you get pushed a little bit right, despite the fact that you can breathe it. The water dragon is just concentrating the water and it's killing you almost like a missile cutting through you, doing tons of damage"

And what TB said. The pressure could prove overwhelming. And giant dragon turtles are AWESOME pets.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 18:58 (GMT -5)

And rather importantly, the water dragon cave is supposed to be a place filled with danger - don't go there if you're not prepared. It's equally not a bug that the steel golems of DarkForge hit hard, or that the Chaos Archmage can rip you to pieces instantly. With the right materials those dragon turtles can't touch you (darkness for instance - I think invis too).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 08:24 (GMT -5)

Invisibility does work. And Dark Elves will become the most popular race when they get infrared vision.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 09:25 (GMT -5)

"And Dark Elves will become the most popular race when they get infrared vision."

When is that? I thought TB wasn't updating ADOM any more.
For the Horde!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 09:56 (GMT -5)

They're never going to have it, noob is just pipe-dreaming :)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 10:50 (GMT -5)

I'm always dreaming:D
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 15:48 (GMT -5)

Daydreaming, you noob? :P
For the Horde!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 at 18:37 (GMT -5)

yeah, whatever. I just like to let my mind wander
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 18:39 (GMT -5)

Can't say I've ever gotten Vanquisher, but since it's a 2hander, how good can it be? I mean, you don't get to use a shield, have low DV, get beat up fast & often... don't the downsides of going 2h outweight the great bonus of having every slaying power?

I have a dwarven barbarian, he got crowned with the Mighty Morning Star "Grod", a powerful 2hander, lots of damage, very good at scoring critical hits, slays undead and demons. But I was getting hit constantly when using it. Sure, I could take out water grues and specteres in one shot if I was lucky, but if I wasn't, boy, did I pay the piper! I lost 8 strength fighting spectres. Now I'm not even sure I wan't to bother playing him anymore. He was a great character up until his STR stat got ruined.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

Vanquisher is badass! Silence, infidel!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 13:15 (GMT -5)

Well I just ran a drakish barbarian, just to see if I could get my hands on Vanquisher. Never played with it before, but I got crowned at lv 15 with Vanquisher. Sweet weapon, I must say. And this char is dominating everything... had a few problems with some monsters in DH, but he's a winner, hopefully.
For the Horde!
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 15:20 (GMT -5)

Mewto, what do you do about the low DV and getting hit all the time? I would think, if that didn't prove deadly, it would prove annoying as you'd have to lock doors and rest until your HP filled up again, then repeat often after the next beating?

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 15:58 (GMT -5)

Well he got killed in DH2 at level 19, got critical hit twice from a very experienced Berserker Emperor.
He had absolutely no problem in DF, every golem fell to two hits, even Kherab fell to 5 hits. Pyramid was also very easy, the toughest monsters were the jackals (very experienced). Some undead drained my St and To in the Dwarven Graveyard, because of the low DV, so I had to switch to a one-handed weapon. That's how I dealt with stat-draining undead, but master liches and king liches fell to two hits from Vanquisher.
I never had HP problems, had almost 300 HP at level 19, not bad. HP regeneration was good, but sometimes I had to use an amulet of rapid healing.
Oh, and for some reason, he wasn't hit very often, I think I had about 30 DV on Normal tactics.
For the Horde!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/2/2007 at 15:59 (GMT -5) by Mewto]
zv
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 18:46 (GMT -5)

I'm running a gnomish barbarian crowned with Vanquisher right now and don't you dare badmouth THE sword ;)
Low DV isn't much of a problem because barbarians are pretty high on hp and a decent stack of blessed spenseweed (400) along with regeneration items and 7LB to take a few quick steps back to heal are almost as good as not being hit.

The fact that stuff rarely lives through the first blow helps tremendously too.

Besides, V has great 'cool' value. Like, killing ACW in one hit is a pretty mean feat.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 20:34 (GMT -5)

Every one can use spears and shields. For Vanquisher, you have to get yourself crowned AND be a certain class. Coolness factor - enormous. So what if you get your ass handed by berserker emperors or killer bugs? There's other weapons for these.
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5661 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 at 20:09 (GMT -5)

As an additional argument for Vanquisher, I'd like to say that I *vanquished* everything on D:50 using it while True Berserking today (with aforementioned gnomish barbarian). So, not only it is good enough to drop shields, it's good enough to drop armor.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: