Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Darwinism

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 7 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 at 19:16 (GMT -5)

Maelstrom, I think you are a bit wrong. Science cannot prove unexistence of God, as any possible Godless world can be also interpreted as a world with God who does not affect it. (By Ockham's razor we probably prefer the Godless world in this case.) Today science cannot prove existence of God, but if we find some message from God, or some kind of complexity which really cannot be explained otherwise, then it would be a scientific argument for existence of God.

Of course, only mathematical facts like pi > 3.14 (assuming some axioms) can be actually scientifically proven. For others we can only accumulate evidence.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 14:42 (GMT -5)

Then don't write what you think, write a refutation!
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3898 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 14:57 (GMT -5)

"Today science cannot prove existence of God, but if we find some message from God, or some kind of complexity which really cannot be explained otherwise, then it would be a scientific argument for existence of God."

As you said "today science". There are lots of things science couldn't explain 200 years ago, but that it can today. So even if we find something that we can't explain it doesn't mean that it can't be explained
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4069 days, 2 hours, 25 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 15:05 (GMT -5)

What many do is taking the stuff they don't understand and attribute it to a divine being. It's what cavemen did ten thousands of years ago when they looked at the sky, and it's what a lot of people today still do when they look at the sky. And that is completely okay. They are simply taking a guess on who was behind it all. The trouble come when people mistake their guess for the pure and utter truth.

To F50:

Firstly: Your link gave me a 404 error.

Secondly: Again, if you think you have to believe the bible word by word, suit yourself. I don't see any point in arguing anymore.

And I sure as hell don't want a debate on why you should believe the bible word by word.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 19:29 (GMT -5)

Sorry about the 404, it was a link I used earlier and probably mis-copied. I'll fix that.

"Today science cannot prove existence of God, but if we find some message from God, or some kind of complexity which really cannot be explained otherwise, then it would be a scientific argument for existence of God."

With this degree of evidence, you can't *prove* it either way. However there is still enough evidence to form scientific arguments for the existence of God. Footprints in the sand (or in some cases mud), as it were. Not irrefutable, but in my opinion, better than for there not being a God.

"And I sure as hell don't want a debate on why you should believe the bible word by word."

Don't take something metaphorically if it is in the narration of a historical account. Day = morning plus evening, not aeons.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4069 days, 2 hours, 25 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 20:41 (GMT -5)

Genesis is not to be taken metaphorically? You actually believe it is historical? How it actually took part?

You know what? Forget it. Of course, Genesis is historical. Yes, the earth is flat as a pizza, too. Homosexuality is abomination. Whatever. Just leave me alone.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5657 days, 15 hours, 46 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 00:23 (GMT -5)

Hail Eris!
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Spartan Spartacus
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 06:30 (GMT -5)

Eh, someone really thinks that the energy that needed to be there for universal mass to even be,
just happened by? That the time and space would have any meaning there has to be a being,if not there would be no time,and thus no space,thus no mass,thus no living material that could come up with such theories as Darvins.Time game to be from tought,an idea of other than he who was.So as the book says"At the begining".When God come up with the idea nobody knows but that was the begining.The theory of evolution has so many broblems that it stands a reason for it to be a favorate hoppy thats a little embarassing,even harmful but that you hold dear.The more science discovers the more things that the Book(B) says make sense.Like the way it descripes earth as a sphere as that is closer to the the original wordings in te ancient languages it were written. So no pizza, Silfir. To even observe time means that there is a being who made time to have meaning.
Spartan Spartacus
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

Sorry for that first word of the seqond sentence.I used "that" instead of "for" as an attempt to make it more at the present but not bound by it,....if that makes any sense.Now i read it and it just sounds like a contradicting question.Anyhow just think it as "for" if you dont get my implication of non-spesific present.
Spartan Spartacus
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

Arrgggh!!!!!!! now i forgot to ad "," after sorry
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: