Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Hello!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Nanor
Registered user
Wielder of the Vorpal Word

Last page view:

6201 days, 11 hours, 55 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 at 11:52 (GMT -5)

I've played this game for quite a while, not much, maybe play a character every week or so. Characters don't last long. I'm talking level 10 at my highest. 5th floor on the Drakalor Pass dungeon. About 3600 turns. Not great am I?

The problem I find is that I only use simple classes, like warriors. Heck, all I have to do is walk into the enemy until they die. Or Wizards, I cast spells and generally wipe anything out that comes in my way, until spells cost way too much PP. I'm talking it goes for 8PP to maybe 15PP and I've no idea why. I can't use classes that I'd like to, I'd like to be a mindcrafter, but I don't know how. I'd love to be a weaponsmith, but I don't know how. I've loads of questions, but I'll never get them all into this forum. What I'm asking for is a wikipedia. Something that tells me how to make swords, mindcraft and so forth. Does this exist? Google has been no help, I hope this forum can.

Do you wish to exhaust yourself by casting this spell? [Y/N]
SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4749 days, 9 hours, 52 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 at 12:53 (GMT -5)

I would recommend checking out some of the topics in the forums that are here already; most of them should answer your questions.

You could read the ADOM manual...simply press 'm' at the ADOM menu screen. It has a lot of useful information.

Or you could check out the ADOM Guidebook online if you don't mind the extensive spoilers. You can find it by searching for "adom guidebook" on Google.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3902 days, 12 hours, 36 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 at 13:04 (GMT -5)

The GB: http://andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-toc.html
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5768 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 at 17:54 (GMT -5)

Nanor: Make this game 1000x more fun for yourself, and just use manual and no guidebook...you'll have gotten barely anywhere in the game and you'll know everything about it from the guide, no surprise in game. My brother struggled with adom for about 3 months, had a ton of fun with it, but got frustrated, looked at guidebook, and he doesn't play since he knows what happens and what to expect....
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5480 days, 5 hours, 46 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 at 19:37 (GMT -5)

I wouldn't do anything without the GB, personally. It makes certain nasty surprises bearable (because they aren't surprises). It also explains certain things about herbs and traps which I find necessary to survive.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 at 19:43 (GMT -5)

Ok, somethings are ok....but the majority are extremely spoily and will ruin game. I don't define fun as knowing what's gonna happen so I don't die, I define fun as encountering these challenges, maybe die, and hopefully live. i think that if I could wish for anything in my real life, it would be to see that if I was brainwashed of any prior knowledge in adom, and locked in a house with a year's supply of food, no communication, and the only way to get out was to beat adom, I would do it in a heartbeat...it would be so much fun, because I don't know about you guys, but when I was figuring things out on my own(like when I found pyramid, ToEF, and HMV by myself), I felt an extremely high sense of accomplishment, and was really into the game....I really miss that feeling...that's why I love the concept of jade, that it will be even more random, almost completely.Cant wait...I personally think Thomas should just stop working on adom till he gets a version of jade out there...
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 15 hours, 2 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 at 07:36 (GMT -5)

Which he, incidentally, already did. ;)

Using the guidebook is acceptable maybe not after three months of struggle, but three years - that's when I read it.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 at 17:27 (GMT -5)

I find that surviving, or at least knowing that I can survive, is necessary for me to have fun. ADOM has a very nasty beginning game and at least one nasty surprise (sheep) that will kill most every character the first time around.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 at 19:09 (GMT -5)

Yeah, unless you're lucky enough to kill her upon the instant you see her with farsight like I did...very lucky was I...
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 15 hours, 2 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 05:08 (GMT -5)

Well, there are all those clues the mad minstrel gives about the "sheep". If you play cautiously, and use your brain, you should be warned enough to make the conclusions yourself.

Even before I read the guidebook, I knew there was something called a banshee, and that she is very dangerous. Of course, I can't claim to have encountered her at all unspoiled...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

Well the GB does say that the Mad Minstrel is necessary if you don't use spoilers.

"I'm talking it goes for 8PP to maybe 15PP and I've no idea why."

You turned lawful with the Wand starsign? You learned a new spell?

"I'm talking level 10 at my highest. 5th floor on the Drakalor Pass dungeon."

You mean the cave NE of Terrinyo? (the one the tiny girl talks about)

To make characters last long, I suggest trying different races (while keeping similar classes).

Dwarves generally start with high PV. The Paladin class is somewhat similar to the Fighter class but starts with "healing", a skill which makes you hp regenerate faster.

You can also try being a Troll (strong, tough and dumb). A Trollish Healer (play like a fighter) born in the Candle starsign is a fairly easy r/c combo I hear.

Don't worry about smithing until you get to the Dwarvish city. Pick up any items of "unusual" weight. They are often made of metals much better than iron. A 50s spear is iron while lighter spears either have a special weapon prefix or are made of mithril, admantanium, or eternium.

Many people believe spears to be the ultimate weapons, but it is a matter of taste.

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3603 days, 16 hours, 43 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 18:12 (GMT -5)

Which one is cooler, a guy with a spear and a shield, or a char with a short sword/dagger or dagger/dagger?
For the Horde!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 14 hours, 20 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 18:35 (GMT -5)

Which one is cooler, a living hero or a dead loser?
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3603 days, 16 hours, 43 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 18:37 (GMT -5)

If you play cautiously and have a bit of luck in the early game, the dual-wielding guy shouldn't have any problems. Besides, if everyone played only to win, nobody would roleplay in ADOM. What are challenge games for, after all? If I wanted to win, but win without having any fun, I could just use a spear/shield and train some ranged skills.
For the Horde!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/11/2007 at 07:04 (GMT -5) by Mewto]
Adom Player
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 at 03:21 (GMT -5)

Yeah, unless you're lucky enough to kill her upon the instant you see her with farsight like I did...very lucky was I...

nOOb, all those stories are getting ever harder to believe. So you want to tell us you survived her the first time you got to that level without having read the guide? Frankly, i dont buy your bragging anymore.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 at 09:41 (GMT -5)

I'm serious dude. And the Mad Ministrel is very helpful too as well, as F50 pointed out. Stranger things have happened to me, and more unlikely as well. And its bragging? It's pure luck! I'm just merely stating that it happened. At that point in my adom career I killed everything on sight, and I always casted farsight besides. I don't judge the validity of other players' claims, so you shouldn't judge mine. 'Nuf said.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/12/2007 at 09:44 (GMT -5) by nOOb-mAsTeR]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: