Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Smithing special items

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 2 hours, 45 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

I just thought of something... Can you smith Phase Daggers? That would be very powerful, adding damage to those. How about swords of sharpness, maces of destruction, whips of the snake/slaughtering... Any smiths here tried it out? Any other powerful non-artifact items that can be improved by smithing?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3603 days, 15 hours, 2 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 16:54 (GMT -5)

I'm pretty sure you can improve phase daggers and swords of sharpness... don't see why you couldn't.
I might be wrong, though, I almost never smith (that may be one of the reasons I'm still dying before reaching lv. 30).
I don't think you can smith whips, I mean they're simple ropes, right?
For the Horde!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5768 days, 2 hours, 35 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 17:41 (GMT -5)

Unfortunately you can't smith whips. But you can smith any non-artifact weapon/armor(excluding crystal and rock/leather items/bone items)

I really hope that TB makes two artifact whips, kinda like needle and sting, or just a two-handed whip,like this:

Basiliska, two handed rune covered whip
+15, 5d10+5
It is permanently poisoned.
It increases your dex by 10
It increases your speed by 10.
It increases your chance of critical hits.
+5 DV.

Nice whip, if I do say so myself.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 12 hours, 39 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 18:51 (GMT -5)

Yeah, cause that sure as hell ain't over-powered :P It would also be nice to make your own artifacts, but obviously at extreme costs (-10 all stats?)

Dual-wielding whips of the snake is great, but obviously whips are very vulnerable to destruction (as Mewto says, they're simply ropes).

Phase daggers can be smithed, but not a hell of a lot, and they're still vulnerable to rust and destruction. You're better off finding a higher metal weapon with the "of pentetration" suffix to smith, or better yet just a nice artifact you can be happy with.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5617 days, 19 hours, 36 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 at 04:47 (GMT -5)

DG: yeah, as nice phase daggers and swords of sharpness are they have the problem of being made of iron and thus are vulnerable. Something like wicked eternium dagger of penetration would probably beat any phase dagger hands down (bypasses PV, is not corrodable and has nice damage to boot). As for SoS, something like wicked eternium longsword of devastation would probably beat it as well.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5768 days, 2 hours, 35 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 at 18:46 (GMT -5)

Does crystal armor ever get melted? The guidebook doesn't say whether it can be melted through heat...
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 12 hours, 39 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

No crystal is immune from melting and other forms of destruction (acid traps and such). I'm not sure whether or not crystal weapons are immune from corrosion when attacking grey oozes - my guess would be that they're simply very unlikely to corrode as with adamantium and mithril (whilst eternium is properly immune).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3603 days, 15 hours, 2 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 06:32 (GMT -5)

I think they're immune, last week I cleared a whole level of grey oozes with a crystal dagger and it didn't corrode.
For the Horde!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/22/2007 at 06:32 (GMT -5) by Mewto]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5617 days, 19 hours, 36 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 06:44 (GMT -5)

Then again, why would someone use a crystal plate mail if one had a dragon scale mail or eternium plate mail available (if one doesn't have them then OK, use what you have). CPM is MUCH heavier than either EPM or FooDSM and can't be smithed. And EPM and FooDSM are quite much equal to CSM as armor quality goes.

Hmmm... If there was a way of improving crystal items (naturally using crystals) what would the required skill be called...
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 13 hours, 22 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 07:00 (GMT -5)

You just answered your question yourself, The Real J. You use crystal armor if you haven't got anything better (and lighter), and in no case other than that... Just like I usually don't see people walking around in ugly clothes (or normal clothes, for that matter).
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5480 days, 4 hours, 5 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at 16:04 (GMT -5)

I usually don't wear crystal armor anytime. The extra +7 PV isn't usually worth its weight when I usually encounter such heavy armor (at that point 10-25 PV, or sometimes more, that I have is enough). The heavy prefixes also could masquerade a bad armor as crystal.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: