Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Level needed for pre-crownings

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 1 hour, 53 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 14:51 (GMT -5)

I was lucky with my trollish farmer the other day, a chaotic altar was generated in the small cave. I sacced up to Extremely Close, but could not get a precrowning. I was plain C for alignment, and level 8. I'm guessing, from my interpretation of the formula in the guidebook, that I needed to be level 11 at least? I wasn't injured, wasn't hungry, wasn't wearing any cursed items, no status effects. I prayed about 10 times and kept getting the "Your prayer remains unheard" message. No artifacts had yet been generated. Can someone shine some light on this for me please?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3603 days, 14 hours, 10 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 14:55 (GMT -5)

You can get precrowned at level 8, are you sure you're not wearing a ring of doom or some clothes of damnation?
For the Horde!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 11 hours, 48 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 17:17 (GMT -5)

If it shows the message "extremely close" then you can definitely get precrowned, since if you're not at the level limit you can't see that message. Level 8 is the first time a precrown can be had - every artifact generated pushes the requirement up by an extra 3 levels.

Being doomed or cursed by an item will normally give the message "You sense a stain on your relationship with foo" as far as I'm aware (definitely does for crowning, and I'm pretty sure I saw it when going for a precrown once too).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 19:17 (GMT -5)

Maybe I needed to pray another dozen times, LOL! Of course that character croaked, dark sage did about 40+ damage with a bolt.

I'm usually not so lucky to get piety up that high that early. And no, I wasn't doomed or wearing anything dooming or cursing.

When I checked my items after dying, I had a spear of mayhem ;( and some other nice stuff (*sniff*). Was wearing a large adamantium shield 11/5, had pole arms up to 7. Argh... Goes to show, being well equipped in the small cave isn't enough. But it was so tempting with the altar there...
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4153 days, 17 hours, 4 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 22:42 (GMT -5)

>since if you're not at the level limit you can't see that message

iirc, no, messgaes don't change a thing.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5617 days, 18 hours, 44 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 at 05:06 (GMT -5)

Nightmare: It would seem likely that an artifact had been generated somewhere, pushing the required level to 11. Or, are you playing 1.1.x ? If so it could be that

Spoiler
you are expected to be ABSOLUTELY close, rather than extremely close. At least that's the requirement for regular crowning and I'd estimate it also is required for precrownings.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 at 08:05 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
"Absolutely" is the message you get if you can be crowned, whereas "extremely" is the message you get if you can be precrowned. They both represent the same level of piety, the only difference being if you are on the right alignment for crowning (L+, N=, C-).

Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 15:33 (GMT -5)

Ok, started a new character, got 1 precrowning, and generated the SI. What level do I need to be to receive another precrowning? Or am I not eligible anymore?

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3902 days, 10 hours, 4 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
the required pre-crowning level is 8+3*artifacts generated, so it would be 8+3*2=14 for you

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 at 15:48 (GMT -5)

Oh wait I think I get it... in those formulas, you do multiplication first even though it's the second part. So 3 * 2 = 6, then 8 + that 6 = 14. I think I learned something today. :D

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 at 17:27 (GMT -5)

Uh, that's one of the basics of mathematics y'know... ;P
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 at 20:37 (GMT -5)

LOL, right, you're a mathematician so why isn't everyone else? Because of course daily life requires us all to use those kinds of mathematical formulas on a regular basis. Mmm. Yeah.

I didn't learn that stuff until 7th grade, and promptly forgot because I never had any need to use it other than math class, lol. Good thing for ADOM, dredging that tidbit of info out of the depths of my memory. ORDER OF OPERATIONS, that's it, all coming back to me now. Haha.

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 06:03 (GMT -5)

Wait, wha? You learned that in 7th grade? That's luxury, I had to learn it in 2nd or 3rd grade :(
Stupid education system we have.
For the Horde!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 07:16 (GMT -5)

Nothing stupid about gaining knowledge :)
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 12 hours, 30 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 14:47 (GMT -5)

The fact you do multiplication before addition came in... 5th or 6th grade for me, I think.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 17:03 (GMT -5)

Something is not right here... in what class did you guys learn how to extract the square root and 2nd level ecuations?
For the Horde!
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 18:10 (GMT -5)

Are you in private school Mewto?

In my school, we were still working on addition and subtraction in 2nd grade.

The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5617 days, 18 hours, 44 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 04:48 (GMT -5)

IIRC in my school in Finland multiplication is taught in relatively early phase. Can't remember for sure, though (it's 19 years since I left school for university). It could be that in different countries the education system is different in that.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 12 hours, 30 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 05:25 (GMT -5)

Square roots? Eigth grade.

By that I mean eigth grade total, i.e. starting with elementary school. (German "Grundschule")
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 05:29 (GMT -5)

Nah, I was in a normal school in Romania when we where taught the addition/multiplication rules. After four grades elementary school is over, so you move to the gymnasium. I went to one of the best schools in Romania, and I can tell you guys that it was pain :( Every teacher in every subject expects you to be an A student, and we have over 15 courses.
Here's the funny thing, though: in Sweden they're still learning the basics of functions and ecuations, in the first year of high school. And this is an IT high school.
I think only the Romanian, Russian and Chinese/Japanese education system is this tough, it's insane. I left Romania after my 5th year at school, and in 5 years of playing around in different countries, I didn't learn a new thing in maths. And I'm not exaggerating. When I went back to Romania two years ago... I was like a retard compared to the other guys my age.
For the Horde!
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 15:24 (GMT -5)

Wow, they really push you and throw a lot at you, don't they? In a way, I wished my schools would have done more in less time. We didn't have the budget or enough teachers for all the slower learners, so of course we all had to move at the pace of the slowest. Which meant 4 years spent on multiplication and division. Ugh. State of New Hampshire, USA = Very bad schools

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 16:05 (GMT -5)

Yeah, they're pretty demanding, but once you've finished high school and college, you have a lot of knowledge in everything. Lots of young Romanian people work at Microsoft and Google nowadays.
The system is tough, but it is doable. Not every school is demanding, you could go to a rural high school and have no problems. Give a coffee to your teachers or some nice Italian shoes, and you'll never get lower than 7(B-) on tests :(
I kind of liked school in Romania, the sense of competition is very very strong, and developed a lot. Two years ago I was like a retard, but I was above average in 6 months of hard work, and I actually enjoyed studying hard. I guess it helps if you know what you want to become from a small age... I know some students that are straight A, but that's because they've been doing their best since 1st grade.
For the Horde!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: