Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / ADOM & lost motivation

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

5009 days, 22 hours, 30 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 06:28 (GMT -5)

I've been willing to play adom for a long time now. Last time I actively played it was around the christmas contest. I've tried to play it couple times, but always lost the interest in the beginning. So do you have any tips how to get lost motivation of ADOM back again?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 15 hours, 53 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 07:54 (GMT -5)

I'd recommend trying some challenge games like IronMan - they can be short and fun, and you don't feel disheartened by the deaths because you pretty much know you're doomed to die anyway.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3603 days, 18 hours, 16 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 08:10 (GMT -5)

I lost my motivation about 2 years ago, that was when I was save-scumming a lot (and I didn't win the game with a save-scummed char, imagine how lame I was :( ). I came across Warcraft 3, Counter-Strike 1.6 and I started playing those games. These days I'm bored of them, and I play ADOM very much, and I can't believe how much fun I'm having... I suggest you take a brake or something, it worked for me.
For the Horde!
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

You can also try playing the game in character - making decisions that would be appropriate for your character even if they are not the most viable strategically.
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 20:44 (GMT -5)

Why do you actually want to get your lost motivation back? Playing ADOM is not something that is important in life... nothing bad will happen if you don't play. (Unless you do stupid things instead.)

If you have lost interest in ADOM, maybe you could try some other roguelike?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 16 hours, 36 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 06:25 (GMT -5)

Gods, no. I tried playing Nethack once... Learning the controls for ADOM was hard enough, I don't want to do it again with another game. Besides, I constantly died of food poisoning or much too powerful monsters.

On second thought, playing Nethack could get you thinking "Jesus, ADOM is SO MUCH BETTER!"... So it might be a way to get your motivation back ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

5009 days, 22 hours, 30 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 07:16 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the tips, especially Darren Grey and Gozer.

Z: I want to get my motivation back, because I remember how much fun I've had with adom. and I still haven't gotten my non-sace scum victory. That's something I'm willing to complete.

Actually I think I've already got a bit of my motivation back - I was inspired to play by reading H.P. Lovecraft and creating a necromancer-character and role-playing it :D
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 12:32 (GMT -5)

Cool idea - especially if your ultimate objective is to treat Andor Drakon as one of the Old Ones ;)
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 at 10:17 (GMT -5)

Yeah, reading good books and playing bad games are good ideas :)

I had no problem with that myself - I rather had problems with motivation to do something else when playing ADOM or another good roguelike, which could be healed only by winning or by time.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 5 hours, 59 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

I lose motivation when sometimes when an excellent character gets screwed. I've lost dozens to the game or windows crashing, power outages, stupidity, horrible luck...

Or just have them stuck, like a good character searching for a ring of ice so they don't lose every item they have in the ToEF. Or one without a way to get across the lake full of chaos pirahnas in the TotHK. Or they might just have sucky equipment to the point that surviving regular monsters is a challenge... They don't die, but they barely survive and don't seem to get anything good along the way.

My solution to increasing motivation, is to CREATE A NEW CHARACTER! YES! Try a class you rarely or never use. Merchant? COOL! Farmer? Why the hell not? Drakeling thief? That'll be one lucky lizard!

Get into naming them appropriately, create your own little backstory for them, make up a personality for them, so that you are connected to and invested in them. Identify with them as they endure challenges, like this - in game message : the Wight seems to panic! I say "You better run, b*tch! HAHAHAHA!" Get into it. I had one character, a dark elven warrior, I named him VANQUISHER. I thought he was the coolest damn thing. Right before he'd land a killing blow, I'd exclaim "Vanquish!" or quip some amusing line like "You were no match for me!" and "No mercy for the weak!" If he was close to dying, I'd be like "No! You can't Vanquish the Vanquisher!" Silly? Yes. Fun? You betcha, I had a blast.

Develope their personality. Hey, your character is a hero killing hundreds of monsters, maybe he'll get on an ego trip, become a head case. Or are they a glorious defender of the righteous, a goody two shoes? An evil self serving cruel bastard? A reformed assasin? A frothing madman of a beastfighter who was raised by wolves? Or maybe it's YOU out there trying to stop chaos...

Sometimes drawing on character archetypes (Like Drizzt Do Urden the dark elf from the Forgotten Realms novels) can be inspirational. Dark elf ranger, there you go! Raistlin? Human wizard. Bilbo? Hurthling thief! Gimli? Dwarven fighter! Almost any character in fantasy novels or games or whatever, you can recreate in ADOM.

Bottom line, use your imagination, mix it up, try doing things a different way.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Yaggaz The Fool
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 14:40 (GMT -5)

my friend had to delete adom from his machine because it was ruining his life. I think loosing motivation is not something to fear, but possibly something to cherish.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 16:07 (GMT -5)

ADOM ruining someone's life? That's pretty rare, I guess... I know people that had had their lives ruined because of playing WoW or Counter-Strike, but I never thought a game with ASCII graphics could be this addictive. Even if it is the greatest game out there.
For the Horde!
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 at 20:31 (GMT -5)

Maybe they had fits of anger after losing high level characters, lots of annoying ways to die!
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5145 days, 21 hours, 48 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 13:10 (GMT -5)

I'm amazed at how often I come back to roguelikes. I get fed up with battlefield - back to ADOM. I even get fed up with civIV - back to ADOM. There just is something so incredible random about these games. To say nothing about no hardware requirements (I guess we could play it on 15 year old computers).

And since graphic is a non-issue, game developers spend the time making a good game instead of painting pretty colors. 95% of game titles released feel like they are meant to be played like 20 hours and then thrown out.

I spent some time learning Nethack, and in the end developed a potential winning character, but grew bored of it. The character is still alive, but forever frozen in time (around sorcs' tower near the bottom, having collected all the other stuff)

I currently play ToME, Troubles of Middle-Earth, and I think I like it better than -hack. But I think there is too much elite equipment and too many artifacts, but still some fun.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 14:35 (GMT -5)

You make some good points Molach. I, too, have a collection of big time commercial games, and with a few notable exceptions, get tired of them and keep coming back to ADOM.

Interesting to note, TB has compared his game to the original Diablo (even going so far as to say, with a graphical overhaul and commercial release his game would be superior). I am a huge fan of the Diablo series and still play Diablo 2 on battlenet and single player regularly. I think the strengths of both ADOM and Diablo are that they have randomly generated levels and treasure drops, and lots of choices for characters (with ADOM, the vast number of race/class combinations, with Diablo 2, the great variety of builds using the skill trees). You can play them again and again, and there will always be new twists and turns, excitements, discoveries. With more linear games, it's the same thing every time, so replaying a game after it is completed becomes more for nostalgia than for thrills, more like re-runs than a fresh challenge.

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 17:07 (GMT -5)

Well said, Molach, perhaps you've played Neverwinter Nights 2? I was sorely disappointed, even though the graphics were better. Gameplay sucked, lots of bugs and you could finish it in less than 50 hours. Sure you could play different race/class combos after, but you'd always know what monsters are going to ambush you. The only things that are random are drops and treasure chests contents.
For the Horde!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 16 hours, 36 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 12:33 (GMT -5)

In my eyes, the perfect roguelike would have completely randomly generated quests, worlds, cities, dungeons, items and so on. It would even use a system that randomly puts together story elements to form a new story every time you start the game.

As far as I'm aware, JADE would have most of that. Shame it's taking so awfully long.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 at 13:37 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I'm all for a random world. The whole beginning with a new character in ADOM can be a drag, those quests to get the healing skill ect.

I'd also like to see some other towns and such, beyond the four already present. How about some elven towns, an orc village, a troll cave, a drakeling lair? Somewhere I could take my dark elf to sell all those Sis and get a decent amount of money, instead of Waldenbrook screwing me over.

Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

5884 days, 23 hours, 48 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 03:56 (GMT -5)

don't force yourself to get motivated.
if you force yourself to get motivated, you will get bored really really quickly.

maybe try some new characters=) that lengthened my replay value..
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: