Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / woodcraft

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

dragoon142
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 17:06 (GMT -5)

what is this for? something about cutting trees, but how do you cut trees? and what is the point of cutting trees? Is it good?
zv
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 18:34 (GMT -5)

Yeah, it's for cutting trees and (not sure) bridge building. 'U'se a hatchet while standing in a tree to cut it down. Collect a log. 'U'se a hatchet while having a log and knowing Bridge Building to build a bridge section.

It's pretty crappy because logs are heavy.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3603 days, 10 hours, 53 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 18:37 (GMT -5)

I think this is one of those use-it-once-in-your-whole-life skills. I've never, ever used it, wands of cold or Frost Bolts work nicely for me. Or just plain old swimming :)
For the Horde!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 9 hours, 13 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 at 20:31 (GMT -5)

Woodcraft combined with Fletchery may be a useful skill combination... Farmers that specialize in archery would profit from a high stat in woodcraft somewhat.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 at 06:50 (GMT -5)

I think it's much easier to just hunt barbarians with 7LB's.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3121 days, 4 hours and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 at 07:55 (GMT -5)

Mewto, you use it every time you kill an animated tree :D So it's not "use-it-once-in-your-whole-life" ;)
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 at 08:11 (GMT -5)

wow, didn't know that. I don't usually play chars that start with it, so I didn't notice any skill increases :P
For the Horde!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 8 hours, 31 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 at 10:05 (GMT -5)

You don't need Woodcraft to cut down trees - a high skill simply makes it faster.

Fletchery can be quite useful though - you can end up with large stacks of arrows with random prefixes/suffixes. Archers get loads of arrows/quarrels from it after a certain level too.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4153 days, 13 hours, 47 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 at 16:04 (GMT -5)

iirc, woodcraft allows you to move faster than in forest area. it was peretty random influence if my memories about testing is not messed up.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5617 days, 15 hours, 27 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 at 13:07 (GMT -5)

DG: Indeed. My second archmage ended up with some 15000 (IIRC) plain arrows and lots of arrows with prefixes/suffixes.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4602 days, 22 hours, 36 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 at 15:33 (GMT -5)

IIRC, you train the woodcraft skill when walking through the woods and the animated forest.

I had a character, a dark elven archer, who for the life of her could not find a wand of cold OR a spellbook of icebolt to get across the lake of Chaos Pirahnas guarding the RotHK. Amusingly, I trained up thrown rocks and was able to throw a Huge Rock 6 spaces through the locked door to the ring and dispatched the Undead King. I couldn't think of any trick to get the ring out of that room though. No teleportation on that level? Wouldn't it be cool if you could get items with a boomerang!

I started chopping down trees and ferrying the logs inside to try and build across. But with only a skill of 20 in bridge building, and the book incinerated by a lightning lizard, I wasn't able to make a single section. (at lvl 18 of hanging around the caves I finally got a spellbook of ice bolt and grabbed the ring).

What level of bridge building do you need to actually succeed on a regular basis?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: