Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Greater Vault Jumping...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

5714 days, 6 hours, 53 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 at 18:41 (GMT -5)

Soo I couldn't resist the truly exciting feeling of danger despite my good ol' WoMD telling me the place was crawling with liches: Masters, Kings, Emperors and whatnot. And a bunch of lower fellas whom I disposed of at my leisure.

I was gonna be smart about it tho. Just Ball'em up from behind the walls. Gotta love that plane-o-Mana. Worked fine for a while. But alas, to my great surprise the center room of the hexagon-shaped vault had two secret doors! I only avoided the one in the front. Darn these good eyes!

Well I wasn't gonna give up that easy, but decided to fight for it. And several teleport trips (to regen my PP) later I'm still holding the hordes at bay, and finally get the first of Emperors down, and he was nice enough about it, brought the magnificient artifact of power every Wizard could only hope and pray for - the jet-black goddamn Executor. Gee thanks.

So after all this chatter my questions are these.

1) How often, if ever, can you get two (or more, Andy forbid) artifacts from the same greater vault? I've never got but one.

2) Can the Emperors drain stats from a distance? I've played my share of ADOM, but these guys aren't really the type you wanna hang out with and experiment. Or maybe this should be put another way - is my Willpower of 49 really enough to block 'em? Or Ankh? Doesn't seem likely. Then again my DV is close to a 100. But be that as it may, they haven't got a single stat yet from me, tho it took me a sweet while to clear enough room for the first of the big baddies to close in.

Answers and comments appreciated. Don't wanna take any unnecessary risks with this Wiz, going for my first ultra. But if there's a chance for another artifact out there, I just might be dumb enough to try and waste the remaining 9 Emperors.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 14 hours, 42 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 at 23:14 (GMT -5)

1. on regular basis
2. no.

by the way: why wizard is so excited by executor?
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5614 days, 16 hours, 21 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

Soirana: perhaps Chambza was just being ironic about getting the Executor. For a spellmachine it is not really that hot, though I tend to also develop my wizards into fighting machines.

As for liches, IME they are vulnerable to fire. High level fireball, or from distance improved fireball should even out things a bit. True, high level liches can take a lot more punishment than regular ones but even they can't take a lot of fireballs in the face.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 at 04:37 (GMT -5)

Soirana: Alright, thanks! I'll just take my time and waste 'em, in the hopes of something worthwhile. And yes, I was just being sarcastic - the mutated one can count on one Executor for lunch.

The Real J.: That's what I've been doing, it just seems to take ages. Probably just not high enough effectivity yet... Then again the first Emperor was smart about it and equipped red dragon scale armor, which kind of forced my hand towards lightning and acid.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 at 04:42 (GMT -5)

Chambza: Ouch ! Nasty EL, nasty ! Oh well, according to guidebook EL's are not immune to either lightning or acid so they should work as well. Too bad, though that there is no improved acidball or improved lightningball in ADOM...
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5661 days, 9 hours, 40 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 at 05:38 (GMT -5)

Destroy Undead works good, if you trained it up before. Though maybe not so good for wizards as for priests.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 at 07:27 (GMT -5)

zv: probably a level 198 destroy undead with Clev 50 and all stats at 99 would be quite devastating. Then again, such char probably could kill an EL with other means as well...
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 at 16:16 (GMT -5)

Well now it's done, took a good hour real time. I just hate summoners who summon summoners and then suck the life out of you :(

But in the end, 12 Master Liches, 20 Lich Kings and 10 Emperor Liches later, it's not that bad: -5 Le, -1 Wi, -3 Dex + about one and a half corruptions since it took so long.

On the positive side, gained 3 levels and 3 artifacts even - the Executor mentioned before, and Nature's Companion and Hammerhead :S Well, at least I can use the armor *sigh*
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4069 days, 10 hours, 7 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

Hey, Hammerhead is a really nice tool! :P
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 at 11:58 (GMT -5)

Silfir: Sure it is - if I hadn't enough castings for my Mystic Shovel to dig up the whole bloody Chain :P
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 9 hours, 25 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 at 22:24 (GMT -5)

Haha, well done on clearing up the vault. Can be extremely tiresome, though bolt spell do help a lot. My usual tactic in that situation would be to lure the bigger liches into corridors, run or teleport to a safe distance and keep firing blessed undead slaying ammo at them.

Executor is amazing for any character, can't believe you're actually disappointed to get it :(
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5764 days, 23 hours, 20 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 00:18 (GMT -5)

Hey guys, back :D

Hammerhead is awesome.

Executor...I can understand the negative feelings.

Just today a trollish healer of mine got Executor...everything was going quite well, got a wish, Eternium 2 handers, ring of see inis, lvl 11 at 7 days due to SMC/UD. I go down in CoC past D-town and get executor....and I actually started using it for once despite my history with that cursed axe. 30 minutes later, I die due to being absolutely surrounded(around 10 hp, I knew I was going to die, so used WoMD) by over 30 monsters, of dark sages and acid slugs.....needless to say, I managed to kill 5 slugs, and 10 sages. but either way, I hate executor, no thanks, I don't want any bad luck.

Hammerhead, for wizards and any class/race that doesn't have mining, is a godsend. not as a weapon, but as a way to mine endless amounts of ore, and then you just have to smith. This makes getting some really nice Moloch armor or scale mail, eternium plate mail, etc, very easy. But Executor....take away the cursing and I'll start using it.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 at 13:05 (GMT -5)

Well well. Found another greater vault. This time luckily just giants and ogres and other brutes. And just one artifact this time - but it's the Preserver! Thank You Ayssia, I shall sac a sheep in Your honor!

But what happens five minutes later. I go through the UL to greet my ol' buddy Sharad-Waador, and to help with some trouble he's had recently with his neighbours.
I drop most of my stuff, and switch to something more suitable for roasting some Blue Dragon Butt. And as I stand on the stairs, and chat to my karmic friend...

...the game crashes, blasting my lvl 41 wizard to oblivion. Tried a couple resurrection tricks to no avail. Latest backup about 20 levels behind.

No UNE for me I guess.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/1/2007 at 13:08 (GMT -5) by Chambza]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 at 13:27 (GMT -5)

Ouch. I save for backups when:
I gain a level past lvl 20.
I gain an artifact past lvl 20.
I complete a quest of great significance past lvl 20.
Before a battle of great significance that I don't want the game to crash in, and don't want to have to redo my steps(such as minotaur maze, Andor Drakon, etc.).
Or complete a temple.

I've only crashed 3 times, only once on a char above lvl 20. The reason why I use lvl 20 as my base is that by this lvl, I can tell if this character is going to be able to make it to the end of the game without some miracle happening.

I feel for you Chambza nonetheless.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 at 06:04 (GMT -5)

Turns out there's still some justice left in the world. After a short period of mourning I decided to try again from that old backup. At the time I was deep in the ID, looking for a RoI for ToEF. In the first hour of playing I find two RoDS, and on the way to Darkforge (where two minutes later I find Robes of Resistance this time around) I come across a boar who's kind enough to leave a skull! Used a wish for that one last time. Major league luck kicking in. Well I think I deserved that much.

Anyway, to justify still writing in this thread - after I finish ToEF, get MoC, and get crowned N=, I continue deeper in to the CoC. And at exactly the same level I encountered the Greater Undead Vault the last time, it's there again! Same format, same bad guys. Tho IIRC, at least the other side of the level is different. (And no, to make it perfectly clear, I had NOT ventured that far before.)

Shouldn't it have been reseeded? Or is this just the weirdest coincidence ever?
If it was already decided, does this mean the artifacts are also the same ones?

Edit: A possible explanation came to mind. The level in question happened to be the very next level after the wall of flames. Thus I've probably banged my head against it, while not being able to pass through. Possibly the vault was generated on that attempt, even though I wasn't able to get there? The other side of the level is still different though.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/3/2007 at 08:59 (GMT -5) by Chambza]
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4957 days, 16 hours, 55 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 at 10:05 (GMT -5)

The existence or not of greater vaults is randomly predetermined at the start of your game, but am not sure about the artifacts inside - I think you will find exactly the same ones though...

All the vaults you experienced first time out will still be there the second time though.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 at 15:24 (GMT -5)

I've always assumed(from experience) that the artifacts in Greater Vaults ARE predetermined, since for example, once I was experimenting with saving, loading, praying fro precrown gift, writing it down, then quitting, copy paste svg, then repeat. I noticed that 2 artifacts that I frequently have received on previous files for pre-crowns were not granted: Bracers of War and Protector. Later in the game(this char was a save-scummed char for these purposes, I think I wrote about him in an earlier thread), those two exact artifacts were generated in a Greater Vault. Unless this was a bug, I find it the most probable explanation. Not sure which file it was....probably lost it. will have to check...
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 at 15:25 (GMT -5)

I also believe that all surges of power, greater vaults and their artifacts are generated completely upon game generation.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4599 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 at 13:32 (GMT -5)

Doesn't that run counter to the conventional wisdom that being doomed or cursed will generate more vaults?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5477 days, 50 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 at 12:44 (GMT -5)

It seems that a cursed/doomed char will indeed find more greater vaults.

However it also seems true that greater vaults are of the same type and have the same artifacts in them and appear on the same level when tried multiple times in one game.

My guess is that a value is generated with rand() and stored upon game generation and that value is used in determining the things mentioned in the above paragraph. Cursing/Dooming will then make the range of values that generate a vault on a level larger while the characteristics of the vault are not affected.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 at 21:05 (GMT -5)

Nightmare: Dooming/Cursing only applies to Lesser Vaults, as has been discussed in previous threads. Heck, you can get tons of lesser vaults if you save scum with a dooming/cursing item when going down stairs in CoC.
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 04:37 (GMT -5)

Well finally cleared the vault the 2nd time, this time a little more cautiously - no stat drains. Same number of artifacts, but not the same ones.
I guess vault-artifacts aren't pretermined then. Perhaps their number is? Maybe I'll put a backup file aside for experimenting with the other vault.

Anyhoo. This time I got Skullcrusher, Ironfist and the Black Tome :S And I dared complain about the first set :(
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 04:47 (GMT -5)

Oh, another thought about the number of artifacts. Since it makes perfect sense to me that I would get three artifacts from a greater Undead vault and just one from a greater Giant-Ogre-Statue-Target-Practise-vault, maybe the number is fixed?

It would seem fair if undead and karmic vaults got three, elemental dragons two and brutes just the one.

But I haven't cleared enough vaults (in recent memory) to confirm this either way. I bet some of you have?
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4599 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 15:02 (GMT -5)

A lot of times the artifacts are hidden in secret rooms, a wand of item detection will show you were.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 15:41 (GMT -5)

Ironfist is pure awesome. What's your problem?
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 16:13 (GMT -5)

Silfir: I guess that would be the Amulet of Greed around my neck :P

Nothing wrong with Ironfist, but when I get three artifacts I'd appreciate it if more than just one of them was useful for the char in question.

And seriously. I've played ADOM for almost a decade; couldn't I just once get the Bracers of War? :P
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 04:49 (GMT -5)

Ironfist still is pure awesome, you're just too picky. We can't all get Preserver, you know ;)
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4957 days, 16 hours, 55 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 04:57 (GMT -5)

My lone winner got three great artifacts from a greater karmic vault, and then lower down, just the bloody quarrel from a greater undead vault. Grr.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: