Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / non-cheating tricks

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

5883 days, 21 hours, 7 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 04:24 (GMT -5)

I have a pretty good noncheating trick..
you know how in the puppy cave, monsters get incredibly tough?
if you use a scroll of familiar summoning, you can get a really really powerful pet pretty early.
i only did this once.. i forgot all about it until now.
when i was level 8-13 maybe, i got the following on level1 of the puppy cave:
annihilator, minnotaur, corruptor, dwarven chaos knight. [save scummed.. was curious what pets i could make=) i wouldve gone with annihilator, but there's something about having 'Patsy the Drawven Chaos Knight' as a pet.]
on that note.. what would you guys call a pet?

Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 13 hours, 54 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

You meant the Small Cave, I assume?

I seem to always get molochs there when I use SoFS. Yet, I actually prefer the second level of the Dwarven Halls - Safer to be in, and I don't have to travel all across the Drakalor Chain.

Usually, though, I use SoFS for awesomely powerful monsters ONLY if I've got an equally powerful monster to fight. Once, for instance, Waldenbrook decided to go all out on my sorry behind - so I got a greater earth elemental to pwn him.

Later, though, the same greater earth elemental went hostile on me, and I had to play for quite some time until I was able to beat HIM.

That's why this method is to be used with caution. If your companion has too much experience when he turns on you, you are in for a beating.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5767 days, 3 hours, 8 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 00:40 (GMT -5)

Wizards however can keep safe though. My brother recently had a dwarven wizard(odd combo I know, but it plays well actually) and had a Greater Fire Elemental( I dunno why they don't have greater ice elementals) and I told him since it was very experienced(my bro's PC only being lvl 30) that he could easily die to it. Well, he first of all: had frost bolt and ice ball at 30+, so he could destroy it kinda easily he supposed if it would betray him. and he had the ring of immunity for crowning gift. Ironic however that he died to his companion at the bug temple, he had the ring of immunity off and instead had the RotMC and a ring of regeneration. :(

So that's a good strategy if you have an elemental pet,(Greater) Fire Elementals, steel golems, etc. Steel golems are actually pretty nice. and on a side note: is it possible to tame or get animated trees as pets? lol, it'd be funny to tame them after you get them to start generating as lvl 110's, they'd be the perfect pets.except they would be charcoal at the ToEF:D
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
ADDJenius2
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

why would they be perfect pets? theyre just fairly annoying [from what ive played so far.. ive only seen them in the coc]

what about pets that breed ^_^

note: i cant find the login place TT3TT
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 13 hours, 12 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 04:58 (GMT -5)

Greater fire elementals don't do that much elemental damage - they more hit hard and heavy in melee. A wizard with ice ball at a good range and teleport could kill an extremely experience fairly easily as long as they didn't let it within melee range.

Killer bugs are still the perfect pets because they can shred through anything, even greater molochs, after you train them up. And if they turn hostile you can just take out a glockenspiel and retame them.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 13 hours, 54 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 06:06 (GMT -5)

*If* you are playing a priest, drakeling or bard, got lucky on scroll of education or potion of education, or wasted a wish on Music. :P

I would really only rely on companions with a bard, if you ask me. TOO RISKY otherwise.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 21 hours, 56 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 19:47 (GMT -5)

I don't particularly like pets. They're experience-drainers.

One trick I like is training Mining and Smithing up to 100. I usually pass the 90-day limit no matter what, so digging out five or six dungeon levels isn't a problem for me--D:1 to D:9, so you can get your pickaxe fixed easily. After that, you train Smithing by smelting ingots, and once you've got the ingots, your Smithing should be 100 or close to it... then you can get some seriously good armor.

Another legit trick, and one use I've found companions to be helpful for: Go to holeinthewall, get booze from beggars, kill everybody else, and order your companion to kill beggars and nonhostiles. Then once you have 50 bottles of booze or so, you can go to Terinyo and exchange them. I've gotten PoGa that way. You don't need the companion if you don't mind going to C- in a hurry.
Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/30/2007 at 19:47 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

I see companions and pets as a more fun approach to the game, makes the game much more exciting. Necromancers can hold their own without slaves, though I am partial to quickling lord skeletal warriors.

Bards with pets can be a bore, since you know that beside backstabbing your pet or casting a spell the wrong way, you know that they will never betray you. I like Hawkslayer. Though with a previous Human Bard, he had Hawkslayer as a companion, and Hawkslayer had several items on, one being a cloak of invis, yet he wasn't invis. I personally hope that the complexity of NPC's will be as a complex in JADE as much as TB has promised.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6110 days, 11 hours, 10 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

does anyone know if this would work (haven't tried it myself)

go into a shop with a pet.

pick up everything on the floor and give it all to your pet.
teleport the pet to somewhere else on the map.
wait for the thugs to kill the pet.
pick up all the stolen stuff that dropped when the pet died.

now, I don't know if:
a) pets will hold on to unpaid items (i know that random monsters don't pick them up naturally)
b) the shopkeeper would get hostile if you tried to do so
or
c) the shopkeeper would get hostile at you when you teleport the pet out

i don't usually play anything that has a pet (dwarven fighters, paladins, weaponsmiths, and rangers, as well as the occasional dark elven beastfighter if I want absurdly high starting dexterity) so this is more of a curiosity than anything else.
Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

5883 days, 21 hours, 7 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 at 15:29 (GMT -5)

good one Iridia=0
nevered, i havnet tried it, but i assume i couldnt..
you cant do actions with unpaid items p-
[now.. what if you kicked an item out of the shop? lol, thatd be funny if you could do that in bestbuy or somethin]

and i agree with noob- haven't used pets

edit- you cant kick or give unpaid items. it took a couple tries [bandits kept killing my pets.. on one instance, my pet dropped some sort of yellow weapon ^_^. despite being remourseful, i was surprisingly happy]
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/3/2007 at 15:33 (GMT -5) by addjenius]
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 at 08:40 (GMT -5)

(I dunno why they don't have greater ice elementals)

Because elementals are based on the classical Greek elements: earth, water, air, fire. In ADOM mana works as the fifth element, there is an elemental temple of Mana but no Mana elementals for some reason. Tha name "elements" is also used for acid, ice, lightning, and fire; acid is linked to earth, ice to water, and air to lightning (at least in Angband I think, I don't know if there is any other source for that).
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

Though as I said before, I certainly do hope that the pets, slaves, and NPC system becomes much better. Needless to say, I was very dissapointed at Hawkslayer not being invisible after he wore the cloak of invisibility. I gave him several nice artifacts, sword of nonnak, boots of the divine messenger(can't remember if he wore those), eternium tower shield...and elemental gauntlets? Either way, Hawkslayer in that game was a beast. Train pets in Gremlin cave, you'll both benefit. Just stand in hall,with your pet/companion in front of you, so they have to fight the mighty gremlins! Just eat tons of stomafillia every once in a while, as you hold down '5'. I got Hawkslayer to very experienced this way, and got some nice potions.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4602 days, 3 hours, 18 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 at 13:51 (GMT -5)

I've had trouble getting Hawkslayer to join me. Is there a certain level you have to be? I've had champions of balance at level 25 who got the password "Iceberg" from pools talk to him and he would only give the regular response "Do I know you?" What is the trick to getting him to join?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 at 20:57 (GMT -5)

Are you chaotic? You must be neutral at least.
asdfj1235
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 at 11:07 (GMT -5)

I used pets on my bard for detonating vortexes from safe distance. I'm evil ;)
**ChaOs
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

hahahahaha

"look out Tharager! a Lightning Vortex! we are Doomed!!"

*snatch*

"Miffy! Nooooooooooo!"

**THWOOM!!!**

Classic :)
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5830 days, 9 hours, 30 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 05:11 (GMT -5)

More like, use the cute dog to explode vortices. :)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
DK
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 07:15 (GMT -5)

My wizard died on level 35-45 somewhere because I pressed "o" on a door instead of knocking it (can be stuffed) guess what happened?

Fireball trap! My "extremely experienced" balor companion (acquired on DH2 via SoFS) ripped me apart in one round and i couldn't even teleport away...

Bottom line: No pets ever again unless necro or bard, besides taming cats and dogs
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

5676 days, 4 hours, 48 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 04:36 (GMT -5)

Re: pets that breed...
I had a Dark Elven Priestess (or was it Princess?) Figurine of Wondress Power in one game. I blessed it, used it in DH2, and had a terrific companion with whom I had a love-hate relationship with... she was a terrific fighter, and summoned up many, many spiders who would keep opponents busy, and, as a dark elf myself their corpses could be consumed readily for food -but they insisted on spinning webs, slowing me down in places -and of course they were friendlies and I didn't want to attack friendlies....
Battle Bunny: "Ach, maybe his Christian altar was stepped on.
By a moloch."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: