Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / unarmed if bracer ofwar early?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

5884 days, 21 hours, 49 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 22:13 (GMT -5)

wow, ive been having incredible luck with my dwarven fighter, who was born on the day of the sword, and on the same night a two headed cow was born..
ive been getting suspiciously high item drops too, such as an early climbing set, a couple of weapons with +~3 to hit [got blessed scroll of identify too], and just now on level 5 of CoC i got bracers of war [im lvl 8 dwarven fighter].. other uncommon stuff like ring shop spawning, and an altar in village dungeon [didn't use it though - it was in the dark so i didnt want to risk sacrificing to mr.evil dwarf god]
anywho, should i go unarmed, considering that i have
1)a mithril scimitar (1d8+3)
2) boardsword (1d7+3)
3) skilled in sword (5 more marks to next level)
4) unskilled in unarmed (12 more marks)
5) i think my sign makes it easier to increase melee skills. not sure if it affects unarmed fighting though.

funny, i think i got it off a generic orc

also, i know that some games play weirdly on laptops. this is a brand new laptop.. could the uncanny drops be because of that? or is this character just weird?
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

5717 days, 11 hours, 22 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 05:04 (GMT -5)

If it really was a two-headed cow, well, then you have a really special character indeed!
But if it was a somewhat more normal two-headed *calf*, that just

Spoiler
gives you an exp boost.

As for the other things you mentioned, you've just been a little lucky. And in the case of Bracers of War, you've been monstrously lucky. But it happens. Not to me, ever :(, but it happens.

But what I don't understand is why would you want to go unarmed? The BoW don't affect that, and neither does your starsign. Melee is melee, whether you do it with swords or with your fists.

I don't believe that your laptop would affect in-game drops or quality of items. Your ADOM screen size might be different from the normal though - a larger screen would mean larger levels and thus more monsters and stuff overall.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/11/2007 at 05:06 (GMT -5) by Chambza]
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 3 hours, 59 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 14:47 (GMT -5)

One thing to note, the +16 dex (or however much it is) from the bracers of war will make it harder to raise your dex, I believe. The current stat you have, (say it's 26, you have 10 base and 26 total with the BoW bonus) is used to calculate your chance to gain another point of stat when eating certain corpses or using Herbs or training with Garth. The higher the stat, the harder/more costly it is to raise the stat. In the case of corpses, removing items that boost the stat, then eating the corpse, will allow for a more likely gain (such as removing ironfist +7 strength then eating a giant corpse). As far as training or herbs, I'm not sure if removing the item at the time of herb use or paying for training makes it work better, or if you need to be not wearing the stat boosting item at the time the game checks for stat increases.

Can anyone back me up on this? I'm a little shaky on this info.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 15:00 (GMT -5)

SLIGHT SPOILERS BELOW!

Being born in the month of the sword reduces costs to level up all melee fighting styles by 20% including unarmed I believe. All things being equal, you can test that by looking at the number needed for next level when you increase your skill level with unarmed. If it is the same for unarmed at that skill level as it is for another weapon skill, you are getting the 20% reduction in marks needed.

I like to train unarmed up a number of levels for all non-spellcaster classes, for when I get disarmed by ratling fencers, ratling duelists, and master swordsmen. That way I can simply punch them to death if I don't want to use missile weapons or wands. Don't spend too much time on it though.

Training weapons in case you get an artifact weapon is a better idea than working on unarmed IMHO. Swords are great to train up, because there are a number of eternium swords which you are likely to find, and swords of sharpness, while vulnerable to being destroyed since they are made of iron, do excellent damage. If you continue to train swords now, you'll be able to use those powerful ones to great effect later. Also if you plan on using Big Punch later, training up maces for the time being is wise. The weight of it (800 stones) and dv penalty (-6) do a lot to counter it's huge 8d5 damage, but it's a guarranteed artifact that can take down Steel Golems, Elementals, Demons and Grues in the temples. And if you like very high DV bonuses, training up spears, staves, or even whips will make you hard to hit.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 14 hours, 36 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 15:39 (GMT -5)

Um, the +16 dex of the bracers of war may make it harder to train dex, but that can be easily amended by TAKING THEM OFF.

Just reminding ;)

Also, who the hell needs dex training when he's got the friggin' bracers.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/11/2007 at 15:39 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

5717 days, 11 hours, 22 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 16:25 (GMT -5)

+16 Dex? Hold your horses, that's the Ring of the Master Cat. Bracers of War have +8 Dex.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 04:47 (GMT -5)

Don't look at me, I simply mindlessly repeated what Nightmare just said :P
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 14:41 (GMT -5)

My bad about the +16 error. Question about training, if you take them off, then pay Garth, then put them back on, will you still get the increase if you paid enough for the level of the stat without the Bracers? Or does putting them back on bump up the cost come increase check time?

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 at 05:10 (GMT -5)

To be sure, I would just keep them off until after a couple of increases.

But again, who needs dex training with the bracers...
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

Can you ever have too much dex? Helps prevent you from getting disarmed, helps with dual wielding, helps with missile weapons to hit and to damage, helps with critical hits, helps dodge traps and spells (I think...). To me, for a non caster, dex is only behind Strength and Toughness.

addjenius2
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 at 20:58 (GMT -5)

thanks all=)
i guess i misread the adom guide thing +16 to hit [thought it meant punch at first, lol].

how does it help with dual wielding??

i dont think dex helps dodge.. that would be more for agi

ps. ive been having trouble finding the login T.T [thus the late reply]
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6111 days, 11 hours, 51 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

"that would be more for agi"

unless there is something rather fundamental that i've overlooked, adom has no agility score.

it was my understanding that dexterity determined your dv (plus armor modifiers), and toughness determined your pv
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

addjenius2 - Dual wielding requires good balance and graceful movement, being good with your hands = dexterity. I think the in game guidebook or Andy Williams guidebook can elaborate on it further for you.

IIRC, higher dex score will give higher to hit numbers if you are dual wielding. Can anyone confirm that for me?

addjenius2
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 03:34 (GMT -5)

ah! how did i not see that? lol
yeah, dex it probably is then
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 14:09 (GMT -5)

I think the definition of agility fits better than that of dexterity, but hey, it's what TB chose.

Agility: the gracefulness of a person or animal that is quick and nimble.

Another definition: Agility is the ability to change body position rapidly and accurately without losing balance. It is important in sports and activities in which opponents or obstacles have to be avoided (e.g. slalom events). It is a basic component of physical fitness. Although its exact nature has not been determined, it depends on muscular power, reaction time, coordination, and dynamic flexibility.

Dexterity: Skillfulness in the use of the hands or body: adroitness, deftness, dexterousness, prowess, skill, sleight.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: