Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / friday the 13th again

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

gravel
Registered user
if i'm not ADOMing i'm working

Last page view:

5872 days, 23 hours, 14 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 22:32 (GMT -5)

well guys today is Friday the 13th.

not much time for a list of rules and stuff so lets just have 1 post per person and tell us what you were aiming for, what rules you set yourself and what happened.

i get to post again because i started this thread :)
The stone giant runs away in fear. Who ever heard of a stone being scared of gravel?
gravel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 22:43 (GMT -5)

well i didnt last long.

I've never completed a victory so i was just aiming to get to a temple at least.

Rolled a orc Paladin. had to kick down a door and got my everburning torch torched and destroyed (hmm that shouldnt happen) then i a block hit me at the next door, fell in a pit on the other side of the door, out came the snakes and i got poisoned, tried a wand to keep some distance between them and me and it was a magic missile and it bounced, guess what

I died on druid dungeon.

When bad luck happens to me it really happens in quick succession.

Oh well at least there is no Friday the 13ths for anyone until June 08
The stone giant runs away in fear. Who ever heard of a stone being scared of gravel?
gravel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 at 21:40 (GMT -5)

hmm i guess we all had something else to do on that day
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1889 days, 5 hours, 39 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 at 22:50 (GMT -5)

My lev 20 priest died on that day...started about 20 other chars. but they all died like the one above. most didnt make it 2 squares in the wilderness without being ambushed and killed...I got upset and waited until after midnight to start a new game.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4960 days, 17 hours, 36 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 at 03:33 (GMT -5)

I rolled the eventually brilliantly named LargeBat, the gnomish paladin, but didnt have time to post here on friday:

Carefully achieved CL 6 in the id, and was on way to DD when ambushed by a lone wizard...

Now, I almost never play paladins, and was unused to having such good gear to begin with - I started out with a PV of 10, which somewhat ironically, proved to be my downfall:

...Somewhat foolishly, LB spent one turn trying to stab wizard, who promptly summoned crystal statues...
Ok, no need to panic, just run away... No way will I get past the statues without taking a beating, and once am close enough to death, my cowardly speed will save me... So I switch tactics as the wizard summons some bats for an encore.

And here is my crucial mistake - I actually overestimated how much damage my running paladin would take from the statues, and hence completely failed to obtain cowardly speed before edge of screen, whereupon I was surrounded and killed at the statues leisure.

Bah.

Cursed in the wilderness is just instadeath for a lowlevel PC.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 11 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 at 16:46 (GMT -5)

How did you get Cursed Vogonpoet?

My character died that night, lvl 26 Dark Elven Paladin. I attempted to fight through a tension room of Master Mimics, Greater Mimics, and Mimic Hiveminds without any paralyzation gear on. I had a blessed amulet of free action, but decided to leave Aylas Holy Scar on (10DV/PV). 2/3rds of the way through clearing it, I was feeling very confident and cocky, when an Extremely Experienced Mimic Hivemind scored a critical hit against my 85DV/65PV defenses. Paralyzed. Just when I was about to come out of it, hit again. And so the pattern went, slowly, agonizingly, the mimic would swing 20 times and miss, only to get one lucky hit in here and there. Eventually my 400+ HP ran out, and I was slain.

Why did I not switch necklaces? Death by arrogance FTL! D'oh.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 at 05:24 (GMT -5)

Wow, death by arrogance indeed - no way would I attempt to clear an abandoned shop without -Par...

As for the curse, twas Friday 13th, you start cursed... I just don't understand how people can reach the midgame with a Friday 13th character... Maybe if i'd id dived (dididdiarrrghh, from now on, am gonna spell dived divid, if i'd id divid, wooarghhahahah) until CL12, built up the inventory a bit or something... just moving across those wilderness squares cursed is horrible....
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3759 days, 18 hours, 50 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 at 07:48 (GMT -5)

I think I'm gonna change my computer date and try for a belated Friday 13th challenge... Last Friday I was working at a new job and quite tired out. (But I had no bad luck, either.)
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5831 days, 6 hours, 23 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 at 08:14 (GMT -5)

Missed it...
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 19:51 (GMT -5)

Do you get enough $ or food in the ID to avoid starving? I do the Kranach quest each game just to get enough money for rations, there are few things more pathetic than a starving death.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 03:01 (GMT -5)

When I started playing ADOM (umm, year 2000) starvation was my number one killer, but these days it rarely kills me off - even without stopping off to empty my wallet at Munxips - only really unlucky PCs seem to starve to death these days (after the manner of http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/messages.asp?thread=3366&start=33883&page=1&tmp=34113 ) oh, and paralysed trolls of course...

The id is excellent place to go if you are short of a few rations - feels as if lack of shops has been compensated for by a bit more food on the ground...
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 10 hours, 48 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 04:01 (GMT -5)

Or you go to Munxip and buy as many rations as you can carry -> early game problem solved.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

My experience with over 500 characters has been, non merchants who don't get the $ talents start off with anywhere from 30-150 gold. So about 1-5 Large Rations from that. If you don't have Food Preservation or Survival, it can get pretty close, especially when searching for Kranach.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: