Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Your Favorite Race

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4602 days, 22 hours, 37 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 at 16:55 (GMT -5)

When I first started playing, I went for Trolls because of their huge (sometimes 30+ to start) Str and Toughness making the early game a breeze. Then it was lots of Gray Elven as casters, bolting their way to a fast start.

Now I've settled on Dark Elves. Alertness and Find Weakness are two of my favorite skills, and ones I've found missing in most other race class Combinations. Getting screwed for buy/sell prices at Waldenbrooks is annoying, but far from insurmountable, same as always starting at C.

Is there a race you favor more than others? And why?

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread, if there is an old one lets delete this and bring that up, I didn't see one and didn't feel like diving 31 pages.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5664 days, 8 hours, 47 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

Oh, this one of those 'your favourite thing' questions that I can actually answer ;)

Drakelings are my fav race by far. Great combos of skills and racial abilities make them an awesome awesome race.

Alertness + temperature influenced speed = spellcaster smash, especially that Big Ol' Firey Drake.

Food Preservation + Acid Spit = empty my stomach for that crunchy corpse I've just got (and it's a good offensive weapon I always fail to remember about).

Music + some ID-raiding = cat friend every time.

On top of that, Neutral character for starters and quite decent stats (St and To) and Le not as abysmal as Orcs and Trolls -> just what I need for the beginning.

Finally, I like the theme of dragon-men :)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 at 17:30 (GMT -5)

Yeah I like drakelings too, that acid spit is a lifesaver, especially against lower tier monsters in the Small Cave when you're gaining a level every 3 kills and really want that blanket and shield and down stairs.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

addjenius2
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 at 21:01 (GMT -5)

eh, the hurt in hot places kinda sucks.

i like dwarves for melee, and gnomes for magic.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5831 days, 4 hours, 49 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 04:10 (GMT -5)

'Drakes.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5767 days, 22 hours, 27 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 14:18 (GMT -5)

Hey Battle Bunny, long time no see!

For me, it has to be Dark Elves. Wheter I play them as chaotic or lawful, it matters not. They simply are like me. Especially a drizzt type of char, their reputation precedes their own actions. And, they have some nice stats, and make lovely asssasins, barbarians, and necromancers. Find Weakness is a lifesaver,as is alertness. The long life span helps barbarians since with extremely high speed, you can get in several triple damage hits, which basically kills anything.

Now you just need to start a favorite class thread, thena favorite race/class thread after that : D
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6111 days, 6 hours, 29 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at 15:55 (GMT -5)

Dwarves.

especially the classes that blend spellcasting and "hit them in the face" fighting: paladins especially, and i've started experimenting with druids.

the exception is when I roll up a raven birthsign: then, it's dark elven beastfighters. the +10 to speed, the high dex of the dark elf, and the high dex of the beastfighter, as well as using the guidebook with the background questions to max out dexterity, and I can usually pull off about 25 starting dexterity, giving my an absurd starting dv.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 9 hours, 14 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 03:53 (GMT -5)

I've not really got any favorite race... I do have favorite r/c-combos.

What I also have is a hated race. I never play humans. They're too "average".
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4960 days, 16 hours, 2 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 04:17 (GMT -5)

Feels as if all my remotely successful characters were elves of some flavour, either high archers or gray spellcasters, my dark elves don't seem to have as much fun...

Incidentally, the only melee PC of mine to retrieve the fire orb (indeed, the only melee dude I ever managed to get to any sort of temple without being inside a wooden box) was a dwarven weaponsmith...

Smithing can rock.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 13:43 (GMT -5)

Nevered, why is dex so important for beastfighters?

Vogonpoet - How do you play melee classes? Maybe if you changed your strategies a bit you could be more successful. The most effective way, is to use whatever decent spear you can find in the beginning, along with a shield, and simultaneously work on your ranged skills, specifically bows and crossbows, slings if that's all you have or if you're a hurthling. Most melee'rs can't use many if any spells, so wands are your friends for those tough spots. Smithing is great for ANY character, buy that skill ASAP and get it up to 100, kill Kherab for his Anvil, teleport Grod (or whatever that dwarven money grubbing smiths name is) to the stairs and get him out of dwarftown for a safe free forge.

nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 14:36 (GMT -5)

dex isn't important for all beastfighters, but if you're playing as something with low toughness, high starting dexterity ensures that you have a high enough dv to be untouchable early game, at least long enough to get some armor with decent pv.
**ChaosUnited
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 20:53 (GMT -5)

I prefer good old Human stock for my characters, failing that i go Orc and Hurthling for a bit of a change..

Some of my favorites are:

Spoiler

(human barbarians start with a twohander sword and an amulet of luck!)
(hurthling assassins start with a boomerang, with mean skills in thrown daggers and rocks)
(Orchish Paladins and Priests get an Everburning torch, which makes a very good melee weapon - it confuses bee's!)

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

Not something you can rely on well, nevered... DV of 25 does not make you untouchable by any means.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

well, they tend to last longer than most other characters (my wizards take longer to create than they do to die :-P )
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 at 17:13 (GMT -5)

I've found that a DV of 20 in the early game (levels 1-6) makes you very hard to hit for the monsters you encounter at that point, and as long as you don't go crazy in the SMC or the cave room of the Puppy dungeon, you stand a very good chance of surviving.

addjenius2
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at 18:32 (GMT -5)

really? so dv isnt as important as pv later on in the game?
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 at 06:27 (GMT -5)

On the contrary, it's consensus that PV is very valuable early in the game, when monsters generally don't deal that much damage and your HP is low. A PV of 5 is nice, a PV of 10 or higher leads to an easy early game.

Given the number of monsters, a high DV still means that some are going to hit you. Depending on your amount of regeneration, an unlucky trap can seriously screw you.

(The real key to early game survival is regeneration. Having the Healing skill. Being Candle-born. Finding spenseweed.)

DV is more helpful when facing monsters that deal such shitloads of damage your PV won't make much of a difference... But you meet those in the middle to late game.
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 at 19:23 (GMT -5)

a character who relies too much on pv early only needs to find only one claw bug to take him down.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/30/2007 at 19:23 (GMT -5) by nevered]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 06:00 (GMT -5)

No fighting PC has serious problems fighting claw bugs. Turning on berserk usually is enough to one-hit-KO the beast. One or two hits they usually can take due to their superior HP.

Archers shoot any dangerous opponent before they even close in.

Spellcasters should have powerful bolt spells handy for such an occasion.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 14:37 (GMT -5)

I've had a number of close calls with claw bugs in the early game, especially when wearing starting armor that reduces DV, and missing on a few swings. Then setting tactics to berserk and taking each one of their (six?) hits.

With melee specific classes such as beastfighters, monks, fighters, weaponsmiths, paladins, thieves, ect, I'll put a dagger or rock in the missile slot ASAP, hoping for a berserk shot to insta-kill those bugs.

Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

5884 days, 16 hours, 27 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 23:13 (GMT -5)

oy, i find crude knives to be fairly effective missiles =) collect em for clawbugs and wilderness barbarians until i encounter a spear trap.. then i let myself get hit a million times cuz its annoying to keep restacking those knives ^_^
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 at 18:55 (GMT -5)

Yeah, my assasins have the same problem, unless they are lucky and get a stack of about 4 or more daggers to throw starting off.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: