Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / bookcasting

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

newb
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 03:37 (GMT -5)

When would you bookcast? As far as I know, if you are a wizard, you always [l]earn the spell. If you are a noncasting class with low learning, you [c]ast it or [d]sell it =0
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 12 hours and 5 minutes ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 04:05 (GMT -5)

You bookcast if you want to use a spell regularly even though your casting levels are dreadfully low. If you do that regularly, the bookcasting talents should help.

Also, there are classes that can't read books successfully. These still can use wands or potions of wonder to at least get a basic casting, then use the book for bookcasting.

I think the most popular bookcasting spells are teleportation or Strength of Atlas...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4960 days, 18 hours, 53 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 at 04:10 (GMT -5)

Depending on the level of ones ambition, even a wizard might wish to bookcast occasionally...
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 1 hour, 28 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 15:02 (GMT -5)

Can you book cast wish?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5664 days, 11 hours, 38 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 at 16:59 (GMT -5)

Well, yeah. It takes a bit of preparation, though...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 11 hours, 22 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 11:08 (GMT -5)

Book-casting is also good for training the Mana stat, since it uses 3 times the PP. If you go around book-casting spells like Teleportation, Farsight and Strength of Atlas all game you'll easily get your Mana way above 50.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5661 days, 1 hour, 26 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

Wow. Didn't know you could bookcast. I suck at ADOM.
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6111 days, 9 hours, 20 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 13:45 (GMT -5)

I just recently started bookcasting on a regular bases.

I find that it helps out my middle-of-the-road characters, just to give them a little extra boost.

my dwarven paladins and dwarven druids benefit the most:

you know: throwing a lightning bolt into a tension room to soften them up before wading into melee, or hitting a fleeing ogre or claw bug (useful corpses, those) with a magic missile.

usually a bookcast drains all of my pp at lower levels, but as long as I don't rely on it, it works out well.

If i were to cast the spells from memory, I would eventually forget them, and if i were to relearn them constantly from the book, the book would eventually be destroyed from it. Bookcasting means that it will always be there for me.

i find that there just aren't enough books generated for those characters to use up the books like that.
addjenius2
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 18:05 (GMT -5)

i know i didnt start this.. but does literacy play a big roll in bookcasting?
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 1 hour, 28 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 14:53 (GMT -5)

addjenius2 - I'm not 100% on this, but I believe Literacy only influences your chance to learn a spell initially and to improve your knowledge of a spell.

I haven't used bookcasting, but I imagine that once you learn the spell, it always works.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 17:28 (GMT -5)

How do you bookcast? I can't find the key.
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 12 hours and 5 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 17:50 (GMT -5)

To bookcast a spell, you must first have memorized it, for instance by successfully reading the book. After that, if you read the book again, you can choose between continuing to (l)earn the spell and (c)asting it. The latter is what is called "bookcasting" the spell: It costs more mana (significantly more, though you can reduce the amounts) and takes more time, but doesn't decrease the "memory score" (The number that goes down when you cast spells by "Z").

It is one of the rare occasions where an action doesn't have it's own key :)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 at 18:15 (GMT -5)

Sweet, thanks

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: