Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / emphasis on skill/level

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

addjenius2
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at 18:39 (GMT -5)

what skillpoints do you put on when you level up? is it concentrated or spreadout?
as a dwarven fighter, who doesnt use two weapons until midgame, i updgrade athletics/dodge/findweakness. i dont get too many criticals with findweakness as a dwarf so i only do it when my rolls on the other two are pretty low.
i dont know how to craft, nor will i learn because i usually get pretty decent material-items by the time i get to the dwarf caves.

my wizards concentrate, then heal.

Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 9 hours, 16 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 at 06:30 (GMT -5)

You could say I usually spread out my skill increases, beginning with the more important ones. I never increase Listening nor Stealth and First Aid, though, except if I don't have a choice.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5664 days, 8 hours, 49 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 at 08:47 (GMT -5)

Early on I almost always increase as many different skills as I have increases available, choosing those skills which have biggest dice and won't reach their limit on an average roll. Of course, some skills are exempt from the choosing, like Listening, Stealth or Law. Still, other skills have priority -> Athletics doesn't get increased only when its limit is really really close to the current value.

I often pump up First Aid a bit, because it can be a lifesaver against poison or sickness.
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6111 days, 6 hours, 31 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 at 15:00 (GMT -5)

I usually pick three (or four, if i have that many points) skills, and put one point in each of them every level. If one gets to 100 (or is currently maxed), I pick a replacement.

my priorities:

athletics, dodge, find weakness, healing, herbalism, smithing.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4602 days, 22 hours, 39 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 at 14:39 (GMT -5)

I try to do skill ups corresponding to the situations I'm facing. For instance I won't touch the Herbalism skill until I'm going to a place that has herbs, generally the modifier for that skill (4d5 or so) can get me really high really quickly when needed. Or if I'm a caster, I'll go for concentration until it's maxed, then literacy, and neglect most other skills until I've taken care of those 2.

I'll also wait until I come to a river before I increase swimming, and wait until I start running low on food to increase survival, and wait until I've found two kick@$$ weapons and have my skill in them high enough that I'd actually be able to hit things.

If I'm not ready to smith things, I won't raise smithing, same with fletchery, ect. You get the picture.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4960 days, 16 hours, 4 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 at 09:09 (GMT -5)

Problem eg with waiting to find a river before raising swimming is that you end up finding it whilst being chased by some nasty bad @$$ monster and get stuck between a choice of two deaths... If I can swim at all, I tend to stick a few points in early just in case....

Agree with fletchery though - no point for archer to raise it until close to level when it becomes more efficient (16??).

I like to get pickpockets early, and put in some practive/levels asap...
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5660 days, 22 hours, 37 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 at 17:47 (GMT -5)

I don't use fletchery since I realised you can just dance around the kobolds while they shoot loads of arrows at you. I never run out now.
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 at 18:51 (GMT -5)

Hendar23 - With the Archer Class, they get a class power at level 18 which makes them very good at fletchery. Although you can get a lot of arrows from arrow shooting monsters, the stacks are usually very spread out, and the quality of the arrows is low. However, with fletchery, the kind of arrows created can be quite powerful, such as one use with a log making 90 "Weighted arrows of targetting" or something with another nice mod or two.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

5884 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 at 05:30 (GMT -5)

what do you mean 'a nice mod or two'?
are you able to mod your weapons?
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 at 11:40 (GMT -5)

Thanks Nightmare, but I never get to level 18, I suck at ADOM. Heh. I nearly got past the living forest, then a giant killed me one hit with a rock. :( I guess when I get near there I'd start putting points into Fletchery.
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

addjenius - it's completely random what prefix or suffix you get with each stack of missiles made. Some are just normal, some are awesome (like arrows of thunder, darkness, and penetration). FYI, if you get a stack of blessed ones, they do an extra +50% damage vs demons and undead.

Hendar23 - How are you playing your archers? My advice, find the best weapon (prefferably a spear) and a shield to go with it, and melee all the weak stuff you encounter, and save your arrows for things that give you trouble. All my archers become proficient in a number of melee weapons and shields, thus giving a large boost to my DV value, making me harder to hit and harder to kill.

A tip for you, you gain no shield marks when set at Berserk tactics, so aggressive is the best stance (since whether you gain a shield mark is based on whether or not the enemies to hit roll lands in the range of the DV bonus of your shield and the shield skill, for example if you have 10 non-shield DV while in Very Aggressive stance, your shield has 3 dv, your shield skill is lvl 2 so you get +4DV from that, giving you 17 DV total. So if a monster attacks you and it's to hit roll # is from 11 to 17 (the range influenced by your shield and shield skill) you get a mark in shield skill.) Your shield skill is capped by the bonus DV only able to reach double what your shields DV is. With a 3 DV shield, you can only reach level 3 in shields, for a bonus of +6 DV.

Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 at 01:12 (GMT -5)

Thanks. That is how I play archers, I just run into stuff that kills me outright. I guess I gotta just practice. Thanks for the tips about tactics too, that is handy!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: