Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / why train in simpler weapons?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Shadowhunter
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

Is there any specific reason why anyone would train in daggers, as opposed to swords?
If no, how about considering that I got an orcish knife of lightning? [lol, the orc actually threw it at me]. And on that note, exactly how much damage does lightning do?
Shadowhunter
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 at 04:27 (GMT -5)

and I also just got an cursed whip of lightning (-4,1d3), and a mithril scimitar
LOL,weird
Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

5884 days, 20 hours, 48 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 at 04:41 (GMT -5)

Check the store price. The higher the sell value, the better it is
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 at 16:46 (GMT -5)

Training in daggers is good in case you get

- Emerald dagger "Serpent's Bite"
- Needle and Sting
- Phase daggers
- Knife of Endurance

In general, what weapons you find dictates in which weapon skill you train, except if you're a spearshieldist.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
*Chaotic
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 at 03:05 (GMT -5)

Plus, dual wielding daggers looks cool :)
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5661 days, 2 hours, 57 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 at 13:18 (GMT -5)

Yeah, dual wielding daggers is a must for assasins. :)
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Shadowhunter
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 at 16:57 (GMT -5)

Why dual-wielding daggers though? Is there an advantage in wielding a couple of 1d4 daggers as opposed to a couple of 1d6 swords? I also keep hearing on how Needle&Sting are incredible together.. how would that be more powerful than say the Bugbiter and the scorched spear, both spears with better stats?
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

I don't know where it's documented in the guidebook, but Needle and Sting wielded together, if I remember correctly, add +50 to-hit and damage PER DAGGER.

Daggers are lighter than short swords. The heavier the weapon, the greater the to-hit penalty you get for dual-wielding. (There's always a to-hit penalty, that's why I usually don't dual-wield.)

Also, Bugbiter and the scorched spear are probably among the most useless artifacts ever. Dual-wielded? Doubly useless.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4960 days, 20 hours, 24 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 at 07:32 (GMT -5)

Also, if you devote enough time to running away from feeble monsters, orcs will through lots and lots of daggers at you, so that statistically you end up finding many more daggers than swords, meaning more die rolls at getting the prefix/suffix of your choice, or of course, the "bloody" dagger - wooargh ha ha ha. +Crit YEAH!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 at 07:33 (GMT -5)

wow, crazy spelling of the word "throw" up there, sorry guys <doh>
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5661 days, 2 hours, 57 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 at 09:46 (GMT -5)

Hint hint: there is an 'edit' button :)
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 at 10:35 (GMT -5)

Oops, so there is... Am kinda used to hanging out on h2g2, where once you post, thats it... Hmm, may as well leave it now <rolleyes>
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 at 04:01 (GMT -5)

Sadly, the bloody dagger is one of those that can't be thrown at you due to it not being a "crude knife".

Finding one is pure luck.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 2 hours, 58 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 at 17:53 (GMT -5)

Silfir, you forgot to mention Daggers of Death, which mid game become a reasonably common drop. I usually get about 1 to 3 of them by the time I clear the fire temple. 5d5 damage is nothing to spit at. Especially for an assasin or archer throwing them.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5145 days, 18 hours, 47 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 23:05 (GMT -5)

And I want to bring up Phase daggers again. Ignoring PV is a huge thing, especially for characters who haven't got heavy regualar damage (from strength or slaying or special attack).

Finding a Phase Dagger is much more likely than finding a weapon of penetration (at least in your favoured weapon class), even if you can't find them at the very shallow depths.

Training dagges to level 6-7 (or more, why not) will give you:

• Some +damage (which WILL be directly applied to monster)
  • Faster attack (technically, less energy spent)

Both of which will be very useful when you are up against, say, molochs or something like that.

To train daggers you can use a 1d4 dagger in carpenter dungeon, or some faster way. Anyway there is little danger to you, and potentially very useful.

Remember that increasing dagger weapon skill level from 0 to 7 costs less "hits" than increasing swords or polearms or anything from level 8 to 9. (695 vs. 720 "hits")

Needle and Sting together are really amazingly powerful, and do not need the +hit or +damage bonus from skill, but the speed boost is nice and useful.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3902 days, 11 hours, 9 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 at 14:38 (GMT -5)

Also remember that you can wish for phase daggers if don't find any. You can't wish for weapons of penetration
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 2 hours, 58 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 at 18:29 (GMT -5)

The problem with phase daggers, is that it just takes one jelly or rust monster and it's gone, so you have to be really careful.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5668 days, 7 hours, 47 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 at 19:13 (GMT -5)

But you really shouldn't use phase daggers against jellies, only monsters with high PV. Valuable items made of iron ought to be rustproofed too..
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 at 10:37 (GMT -5)

Daggers of Death are nice. Yet, Khelavaster is guaranteed to drop an eternium dagger, which is a little bit better. Yet daggers of death don't have that aura of "exceptional usefulness" around them, I think, compared to phase daggers.

Phase daggers should if ever possible be improved with the help of increase melee damage/accuracy scrolls... Or smithed up, of course.

I think the eternium dagger is the best choice to do training with/use as "standard weapon" for your everyday goblin. It's also nice to have one for killing jellies, since even adamantium can be corroded while eternium cannot. (Or is at least highly resistant... Clear me up on this)

For me, jellies are pretty much aiming practice for my arrows and quarrels anyway.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 at 04:20 (GMT -5)

If stabbing, I like a crystal dagger for my concentrated jellies, which can be scrolled up IIRC, they look cool, and they def dont corrode. And they look cool. Really, they do.

If a weaponsmith (only melee character I seem to be any good with) then rustproofed-smithed-up phase daggers for the other stuff...

Jelly vaults are bad for archery practice I reckon, cos the stupid white ones keep dissolving the ammo...

Anyway, point is, clearly there are lots of cool daggers out there, and they are really really stylish.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 at 03:59 (GMT -5)

You're right, them damn gelatinous cubes. Almost forgot...

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: