Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Spells please help

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Horus
Registered user

Last page view:

6100 days, 8 hours, 3 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 at 11:21 (GMT -5)

I read the manual section on spells and all it says is that they're learned from books. Where do I get a spellbook? I can't go find one in a dungeon, because a wizard with 0 spells gets killed almost immediately. The ones in shops are unaffordable for a l1 character.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5145 days, 16 hours, 26 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 at 12:47 (GMT -5)

Try starting a Wizard again, and see if you don't start with a spellbook or two or three.

Priests also get this, and druids, and mabye some other classes. But fighter/mage hybrid types typically have to rely on fighting before they start finding books in dungeons.
Horus
Registered user

Last page view:

6100 days, 8 hours, 3 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

Ahhhh; /me feels stupid. Thanks so much!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5145 days, 16 hours, 26 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 at 12:30 (GMT -5)

Ah yes. On the bright side, your Wizard will need some ability in hand-to-hand fighting as well. Start training in weapons when you have gained 1-2 levels, and melee any monster you know you can handle, both to save up spells for toughter foes, and to gain valuable weapon-skill levels.

All my successful wizards probably killed 60% of the monsters in hand-to-hand, but of course when I meet something tough it's good to be able to whip out some serious spell of ultra hurting
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 11 hours, 13 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 at 19:07 (GMT -5)

It would be very helpful to get a couple of extra PV points in the early game to survive better in melee.

In the endgame, some spells are so plenty that it could even be considered a waste not to use them all the time to build up efficiency. But the fact is: Melee is so much quicker and easier. Walk against the monster -> kill. Spells, on the other hand... "Z", looking for the right spell to use, and THEN the risk of accidently shooting yourself... No thanks, I'll go about it the savage way.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5831 days, 6 hours, 49 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 05:26 (GMT -5)

"Z", looking for the right spell to use, and THEN the risk of accidently shooting yourself...
What? Once I cast 4 firebolts it's about a split-second for me to press ALL buttons required for casting a spell. You overdramatise it.
But as for training melee with a wizard, the earlier the better. It is still manageable to train on goblins and kobolds earlier on but when you are still trying to use some basic sword moves in front of a skeletal warrior, then that's a bit of a trouble.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4072 days, 11 hours, 13 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

Not to mention accidentally casting Earthquake instead of Firebolt because you learned a new spell and the list has shifted. That's the downside of having the keys imprinted in your backbone neural system ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5831 days, 6 hours, 49 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 07:35 (GMT -5)

Okay, so that has happened to me :P, but... *mutters something about reassigning the keys for your fingers*
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help