Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Smithing

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 15 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 12:51 (GMT -5)

smithing tips by Soirana:)

1. pieces of ore doesn;t perish if you fail smithing - total myth.
a) if you get interupted by melting ore (hunger status for example) they are ruined
b)if you criticaly fail on smithing you might ruin them. you get standard message + "On other hand you managed to ruin * ore".
very very unlikely, but possible. happened to me once in my Adom career. let say i was slightly surprised.

2. you can unrust items by aplying smithing. no ore/ignots are required. on failure you make broke item but it is not so high chance. with smithging of 35 i've tried unrusting 20 orcish knives, 3 of them went broken others were unrusted.

since unrusting takes less time then smithing/melting and doesn;t require extra items it can be used to train smithing.
i have no idea how effective it is but it works after already mentioned unrusting of knives i received autorise in smithing.
since items do rust in heaps and are unrusted in pieces it is probably best to takee pile of useeless quarels, create water trap, rust them, unrust, repeat.

hopefully this will help somebody.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 15 hours, 16 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 13:33 (GMT -5)

Well, maybe it's because I don't often have/use smithing, but 1b and 2 are a surprise to me!
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 19 hours, 40 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 13:43 (GMT -5)

I never use smithing, being the fool I am, but the unrusting part *is* going to help.

Goddammit. Six years of playing ADOM and I still learn...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 13 hours, 52 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 05:11 (GMT -5)

Does fixing broken items require an ignot?
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 05:40 (GMT -5)

yes.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4599 days, 9 hours, 3 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 at 19:13 (GMT -5)

Here is another good bit of advice.

The more times you have successfully smithed an item up, the harder it gets to smith it further. But it is still possible to continue to smith it until you get the message "Despite your best efforts the (item) fails to improve."

"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4957 days, 2 hours, 29 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 at 05:53 (GMT -5)

"Despite your best efforts the (item) fails to improve." is by no means end of the road... you can continue smithing it up some more, you just need more and more attempts to improve the item, you can get 6 despite best efforts messages and then next time get a +1 to hit or whatever - not recommended unless you are weaponsmith with good mining skills though, due to time constraints...

SPeaking of which, although only really had any success with dwarven weaponsmiths, surely gnomish smiths have to be good R/C combo, due to mining gems and ores??
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5142 days, 52 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 at 06:44 (GMT -5)

I agree with the poet here, I have gotten improvements after the best efforts message. But it is hard and takes time and ore.

Trolls also get gemology, a very useful skill I would say. Troll weaponssmiths should get Learning up pretty high easily enough, and combined with concentration should make passable magic-users. At least as a backup attack.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3599 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

All the troll would have to learn is Burning Hands, Teleportation, Invisibility and a healing spell :) I'm going to try a troll weaponsmith, they're strong and if I start in Candle should have no problem with healing. Should I run through the SMC in the UD? I usually find an anvil there.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

well, i just discovered that it is possibly to smith dv on weapons. that nice orcish knife of penetration got 2 points extra dv.

just proves that a lazy smith i am:)
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4599 days, 9 hours, 3 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

I usually kill Kherab for the anvil, plus his eternium Warhammer. i wonder if higher metal hammers increase the success chance of smithing, like wearing a leather apron or rings of luck + ank

"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: