Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Questions about ADOM

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

ianpwilliams
Registered user
Ian Williams

Last page view:

6074 days, 16 hours, 24 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 09:48 (GMT -5)

Is there a way of telling which of your skills are actually active rather than passive other than pressing a (for apply skill) and then trying them all?

When pleasing the gods with sacrifices, is it worth pleasing them more than once? Are there higher levels of pleasure?

Can you sell items to shopkeepers? I tried dropping items in the shop but he always says "don't drop your rubbish" or something.

Thanks
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5830 days, 6 hours, 57 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 10:49 (GMT -5)

1. Common sense works with many, generally if you can use an item that is affected by a skill the skill itself is passive (e.g. archery and bows), also you can read the manual's description.

2. Well, the more you sacrifice them the more benefits you get, so yes, it is quite worth it. When the message "very pleased with you appears", you can drop water on the altar and it will become holy water. Useful for blessing items. If you get "You feel an inner strength lifting your spirits", you get lucky. (That is, you will get the "lucky" intristic) When you are "absolutely close" to your god, pray and you will get crowned (you will get a random immunity to an element and an artifact that depends on your class), or pre- or postcrowned if you are "extremely close" or have been crowned already, respectively.

3. You can. But if a shop sells only, for example, food, you can only sell food items in that shop. If there are only rings there, you can only sell rings. In "mixed" shops, the ones that stock all kinds of stuff, you can drop anything.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
ianpwilliams
Registered user
Ian Williams

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

Ok cool, thanks for that! So does that mean there a shops in ADOM which sell stuff other than food, and mixed shops too?

Just managed to complete my first quest after many many attempts - the carpenter in the dungeon south east of the first village :D
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 11 hours, 21 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 19:48 (GMT -5)

Did he have to die?

(Just checking - There is a way to save his life, and it's really worth it!)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
ianpwilliams
Registered user
Ian Williams

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 20:45 (GMT -5)

Well...yeah. Stupid me didn't work out the connection between the carpenter and the healer until I looked it up afterwards, so I ended up killing him! Still, I got my comeuppance soon after when I got killed trying to rescue the puppy dog for the little girl (how embarrasing).

I'm trying lots of different roguelikes at the moment, but there's something very special about ADOM :)
ianpwilliams
Registered user
Ian Williams

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 09:17 (GMT -5)

I had another question while I'm here. Whenever I get sick or poisoned (I'm never eating a kobold corpse again!), I will cast any helpful spells I might have (although I never seem to have them unfortunately), I will drink any unidentified potions I have and read my scrolls and hope for the best. Failing that I will pray if I've previously sacrificed something and pleased my god. Is there anything else I can do? Because it seems to happen fairly often and sometimes I just seem to be doomed...oh yeah and how do I go about uncursing something? I had a character who was wearing a cursed girdle and he was stuck with it til he died.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5768 days, 16 hours, 14 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 10:19 (GMT -5)

The healer can cure sickness and poisoning. Using the First Aid skill (every character has it) whenever you feel poison coursing through your veins will help you survive until the poison wears off.

Have you found any herbs yet? The right type of herbs will cure sickness and poisoning, but the wrong type of herbs will cause them. Try playing a character with the Herbalism skill for best results, and have a look at the Guidebook section on herbs.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 11 hours, 21 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 10:24 (GMT -5)

For the other thing: There are scrolls of uncursing, and dipping items in holy water will bless them, removing the curse as well.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5144 days, 16 hours, 34 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 11:36 (GMT -5)

Sickness can be cured by simply spending time. It can be done in the wilderness, for example. Tough characters might be able to walk around easy dungeons while sick, but now raw recruit-adventurers.

If you want more definite answers and tactics et cetera you might head off to the spoiler forum. There someone might tell you all about which herbs will help you, which potions, and even that sickness can be a great help in certain situations...

Welcome to the game. There is something special about ADOM, yes.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 16:51 (GMT -5)

And if anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, it is worth to eat kobold shaman corpses if you can cure the sickness easily because it gives +1 Ma.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
ianpwilliams
Registered user
Ian Williams

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 20:30 (GMT -5)

Cool, thanks for that!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 at 04:24 (GMT -5)

Always glad to help.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 5 hours, 33 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 at 11:48 (GMT -5)

IIRC eating corpses of (some) spellcasters like kobold shamans also increse PP(in addition to what you get for increased Ma). There are two, separate messages you get when eating them(something like: "You feel power flowing through you! You also feel more connected to the mana flow of ancardia.") It's not guaranteed of course.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 at 15:25 (GMT -5)

Oh yeah, now that I checked the guidebook for it, they do. Though I never really noticed it, only the increase itself, so I must have thought it is the natural PP increase.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help