Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Where do you go first?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Ruttiger
Registered user

Last page view:

6061 days, 3 hours, 31 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 at 16:33 (GMT -5)

What dungeon do you delve first? I always hit the puppy cave first, I consider it a "trial by fire". If I can survive that with a total newbie character, I can probably make it pretty far when I hit the CoC.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5834 days, 8 hours, 57 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 at 16:37 (GMT -5)

The SMC to generate a bunch of monsters, then after a long walk in the wilderness to find Kranach (Assuming I'm powerful enough at the start - a strong fighter or a spellcaster will definitely do this, a merchant just might not), but usually I either go into the Village Dungeon first, or the sinister dungeon if VD isn't needed, and if I'm powerful enough at the start, then if this is decided and if I have done all this I go into the SMC and go down to the HMV. Usually.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3606 days, 15 hours, 1 minute and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 at 17:12 (GMT -5)

SMC, Kranach, Outlaw Village, VD (if I don't have Healing), ID (for spellcasters), VD, UD...
For the Horde!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 18 hours, 33 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 at 17:23 (GMT -5)

Strong chars:
SMC -> UD -> HMV (to sell loot) -> CoChaos (down to either arena level for food and some gold, herb level if I havent already, SI level or even dwarftown to get first quest. And another shop. And stat training.

Weak chars:
Generate monsters in SMC. 1st level VD. Then first level ID (books if I can read, basic armor/shield/weapon if not, some basic levels) Bandit village (for pickpocket and shop-peek), VD, Puppycave for altars (mabye not past the cavernous level if weak enough), then CoC to arena level.

Since I skip normal early game with strong chars, it goes without saying that they will either be of the candle or have healing.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/10/2007 at 17:25 (GMT -5) by Molach]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5771 days, 2 hours, 34 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 at 18:47 (GMT -5)

A roll-scummed bard can go to HMV every time in beginning of game, and come out loaded with herbs, and if lucky, ore too.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Covenant
Registered user
The Unbeliever

Last page view:

5467 days, 23 hours, 44 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 at 21:38 (GMT -5)

Lawenilothehl, for a bandit first kill, then to SMC until I'm level 5 (and hopefully have the blanket, and have found the stairs), then I spend a day in the wilderness hoping to find Kranach. If I haven't found him by then, I go to PC, try to dash down to the bottom without killing enough to reach level 6, then return the puppy to the girl and return to the wilderness for Kranach hunting. Then it's back to the PC for clean-up.

A bit obsessively perfectionist, I know.
Knowledge is chimera, for beyond it ever lies other knowledge, and the incompleteness of what is known renders the knowing false.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4156 days, 17 hours, 56 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 at 00:01 (GMT -5)

Lawenilothehl, to pull first kill, which depends on what character can handle.
later... nowadays i prefer ID, gives chars good chance to survive.

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5363 days, 12 hours, 39 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 at 17:57 (GMT -5)

earlygame:Lawenilothehl-smc-vd/keethrax-puppy-vd/vdd-(waterdragon watercave...-hmv, if staircases close...-coc-Pyramid/graweyard,...if not then at this point

mid/endgame is usually: bugwil/caw(if a shooter)- darkforge/id(for a certain amulet)-ToEf-high kings-maze(if certain scrolls are avaible)-lowercoc-library-lowest coc

Information is never too much!!
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5935 days, 15 hours, 51 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 at 18:55 (GMT -5)

bandit village (pockets + 1st kill); quick run for bottom puppy level to generate it before d4 (rescue later); kranach; smc (without killing if possible) -> hmv

not really survival-proof but good in long terms
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4904 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 at 22:53 (GMT -5)

Terinyo > Food + open all desirable quests

Lawenilothehl> 1st kill(hopefully Hotz)+ Pickpockets + overpriced items

Terinyo again>law badge + enough large rations
for Bloated and Strained!

Bug Temple> Bolt spell my way to exp. lvl 13 + probably generate very good items + possibly
eat corpses (if enough are generated)

CoC>Ratling food

ID>books + PV improvement

Safest place that has herbs>
1st choice DDL (possible)
2nd choice CoC big room (gauranteed)
3rd choice 1st levels of ToHK (possible) but
you have to get climbing set first.

Dwarftown> Not until I'm aligned L, for alter

Yes I know I skipped SMC. I normaly don't
enter the SMC at all, but if I enter later
I just TP my way through.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5671 days, 7 hours, 33 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 at 14:20 (GMT -5)

Wow gut, you don't do the Terinyo quests at all :O

I normally go in the following order:

1)Terinyo, get quests and food

2)Lawinotheil, 1st kill+pock picketing (Weakest chars die often)

3)Small cave, enter and leave. Generate weak monsters.

4)Down to PC:6 to generate a live puppy. (With a weak char, maybe ID instead for books, shield, metal cap, things like that)

5)Healing/Herbalism quest

6&7)Try to get through SMC, maybe even get the blanket (some die, some might not get through but manage to reatreate). Occasionally I'll do puppy cave first.

8)CoC and beyond!
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3124 days, 8 hours, 8 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 at 16:49 (GMT -5)

I didn't post here yet? Wow.
1) Terinyo, get the right quest (healing/herbalism), talk to the sheriff and get raider quest. (usually I want to wish for him on the way out of the chain, same for the puppy)
Get sheriff to go with you to Lawinotheil.
2) Lawinotheil, get pick pockets, and put all stuff from the black market into one spot (also - get identification on the stuff there, sometimes usefull ).
If lawful, get marble amulet, and first kill a 't'ownsfolk to get N+ (detect traps is essential).
3) Go to the SMC, to generate it. Find the blanket or staircase, before level 3. If I find the spear and shield, I'm happy.
4) If I don't have healing - carpenter quest before the UD. If I have healing, UD->HMV->Druid. Sometimes CoC up to level 12-14 before the druid, he's annoying.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/23/2007 at 16:50 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 00:25 (GMT -5)

J.: I'm not good at surviving the Terinyo
quests. Is it just me or aren't they hard.
If my grey elf starts with something like
S=8, T=7, PV=1 that means death just about
anywhere. Unless I spend some time beefing
him up. That's why I do BUGWIL early.

If a class doesn't start with Healing, I
just don't play them.

Maelstrom: Is Detect Traps essential?

I sometimes kill Yergius right after Hotz
for the 50% black market discount. If
there are spellbooks in the BM, it can
realy increase a spellcasters chances.
I never noticed a big difference in gameplay
after doing this.

There are only a few heavily trapped
areas in the game. Since I already
know where they are, i can just drop
all my stuff somewhere else, while I
explore those areas. After discovering
all the traps it is pretty unlikely to
set one off again.

Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 13 hours, 21 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 09:08 (GMT -5)

GOTO SMC
GOTO UD
GOTO HMV
IF CHARACTER = ALIVE THEN GOTO TERINYO
IF HEALING = 1 AND HERBALISM = 0 THEN KEETHRAXQUEST = 1 ELSE YRRIGSQUEST = 1
IF LEVEL => 10 THEN HOTZENPLOTZQUEST = 1
IF CHARACTER NOT LAWFUL THEN GOTO LAWENILOTHEHL : PICKPOCKETS = 1
IF KEETHRAXQUEST = 1 THEN GOTO DD
IF YRRIGSQUEST = 1 THEN GOTO VD
IF CHARACTER = ALIVE THEN GOTO PC
IF CHARACTER = ALIVE THEN CHECK WHETHER CHARACTER CAN KILL HOTZENPLOTZ
IF CHECK = 0 THEN GOTO CoC

and so on and so forth... I don't really have a set routine after that.

If I want a character to stay alive, I usually do either VD or DD until he's stronger. I'm avoiding the Infinite Dungeon lately, feels too scummy for me.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4246 days, 12 hours, 39 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 13:21 (GMT -5)

You do the Yrrigs quest if you have both Healing and Herbalism? I usually do the druid for the extra artifact and PoCC.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

Isn't the possibility to get extra PoUH worth more than a single PoCC?

The artifact sucks either way.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 17:25 (GMT -5)

1 PoCC = 1 PoGA with alchemy
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 18:23 (GMT -5)

The recipe for PoGA is just as likely to require PoUH instead of PoCC (or both). Which means getting an infinite amount PoUH is actually preferable to getting a single PoGA.

Whether you get Bridge Building or Gardening does not really matter much at all.

If I start going for ultras (which I probably should considering I've won nine times regular style), then I'll probably go for the black torc.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 at 03:11 (GMT -5)

Do I read right, that you go to
the HMV before getting the healing
skill? Isn't that kind of dangerous?
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 at 09:25 (GMT -5)

Of course it's dangerous ;)

I simply don't want to spend too much time starting up a character. UD makes the game exciting, and if I do manage to get out, I'm level 10 and pretty well set up.
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 at 13:45 (GMT -5)

infinite amount? you win I guess... (although you will still find much more PoUH than PoCC throughout the game even without VD)
Portrait
LordMcHash
Registered user

Last page view:

5917 days, 9 hours, 49 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 11:36 (GMT -5)

Outlaw village to take down a beggar [Control of filk quest] (I thought he was demanding money... or else!),Terinyo, Puppy cave, old bards glen to drop the pup off in the doorway... then I rename him "Doggy Door" and then I use the little house to store all my stuff.

One day after many years that little girl is going to get a big surprise!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/22/2007 at 11:38 (GMT -5) by LordMcHash]
Worst Player... ever
Registered user

Last page view:

4699 days, 12 hours, 32 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 11:40 (GMT -5)

If a character doesn't have healing I always start with the Carpenter because getting healing is paramount. Then I try the puppy quest until I succeed or I'm driven off - I can always come back later.

If they do have healing then I'll try the puppy quest till I win or get driven off, and try for Keethrax. Then, whether I finish those quests first try or not, I head to the Dwarven Village. I'm never in a rush when I'm doing Keethrax/Puppy and don't mind coming back after I've buffed up a bit.

I *never* hit the SMC anymore. It's a meat grinder and the rewards are limited. If there were 7lb in there then fine, but I am not going through all that for a blanket!

I have a really high survival rate early on, but maybe the fact that I don't kill off my weak characters early in a trial of fire is part of the reason I suck at the mid game. I'm too compassionate for ADOM. :-/

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/20/2008 at 11:41 (GMT -5) by Worst Player... ever]
EmptyOne
Registered user

Last page view:

5417 days, 13 hours, 36 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

1-Terinyo to get the first three quests, food, read books, etc.
2-SMC to generate critters and pick up the two scrolls to train Literacy if not a spell caster.
3-PC until lvl 4 or 5 if not tough enough to take Kranach.
4-Look for Kranach and stop by 'Hole in the Wall' to check out store and get Pickpocket.
5-Dive to bottom of PC to generate puppy if I'm not out of time. Otherwise clean PC.
6-VD or DD hopefully hitting lvl 9 or 10 when I'm done.
7-ID for xp, books, blinkdogs, etc until I think I can handle Hotzenplotz.
8-SMC --> UD --> HMV
ADOMNewb101
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 15:42 (GMT -5)

My usual routine goes like this:

Get Terinyo quests. 99% of the time I take Keethrax quest. For a class I consider very weak I might take healing, but usually I prefer to have herbalism, esp. if I'm playing with Cup starsign, then healing is obsolete.
Visit Lawinotheil for pick pockets + hope I can see scroll of identify at the merchant + kill bandit/outlaw/assasin.
Very strong classes (wizards/priests with good starting spells, bards with a good roll, archers, drakelings with good music skill) go straight to puppy cave. All others do the druid quest dungeon first, although I might not kill the druid if I'm not strong, don't have food preservation, or can't deal with cats on D7. Then I do whichever of those two dungeons I haven't yet. I usually poke my head into SMC around this time, if the stairs are nearby then I'll head to HMV. Overwise, I head to CoC.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 17:30 (GMT -5)

You meant Candle, not Cup, right? I agree with you there.

If you take the Keethrax quest 99% of the time, you don't often play with classes that have Herbalism, but not Healing, I presume?

Generally, I get the one of the two I don't already have, and if I have to choose, I choose Healing. As useful as Herbalism is, it doesn't have a potentially life-saving effect like Healing does. A blessed scroll of uncursing will make most of your herbs useful enough, and isn't even required to use morgia, alraunia or curaria.

Of course, once you have a heap of 345 blessed spenseweeds, you don't need the Healing skill anymore - but getting there is often the tricky part, since herbs do not often appear before you reach the big room.
ADOMNewb101
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 17:56 (GMT -5)

Sorry, yes I meant Candle. No, I don't often play classes that don't have Healing but do have Herbalism--in that case I would probably be willing to take Healing.

My experience is that Healing is really only necessary until maybe level 12, anyway. If you can survive until then without it, you probably will be fine.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 at 12:29 (GMT -5)

If you survive until then without Herbalism, you're still going to be just as fine. My point is that Herbalism is really only a convenience skill - herbs can be properly exploited without it.
Portrait
Mozzy Tunes
Registered user

Last page view:

5766 days, 4 hours, 2 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 at 00:17 (GMT -5)

true, but the only thing healing helps me with is poisoning, even then you're probably screwed anyway. i haven't tried gettin herbs w/o herbalism i think i'll try that. blessed stoma usually gets a crap precrown anyway eh?

terinyo - food / quests (almost always herbalism. i've never done the ultra healing trick. and i've never even seen the benefits of the potions themselves. extra healing does like +500 hps. ultra seems to do only +300)

outlaw town - 1st kill - id items - pickpockets

smc - train lit sometimes - look for high metal items! screw the blanket.

id - for spellcasters mostly.

pc
dd

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 at 08:44 (GMT -5)

Healing increases HP regeneration significantly. In the early game, you tend to have no means of on-demand healing at all except two or three prayers, and until you can get these on-demand healing sources the Healing skill is your best friend. It's overshadowed by the Candle starsign and I guess trolls can do without it, but it still is very useful for all the others.

I thought the extra healing potions were the one who only did something in the three-hundreds. Ultra healing always fixes me right up. Are you confusing the two?
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: