Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / If ADOM goes commercial...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4601 days, 20 hours, 3 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

...which developer would you want to collaborate with Thomas to do it?

Blizzard? Bioware? EA? Square/Enix?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 5 hours, 58 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 14:22 (GMT -5)

Probably Black Isle studios for their commitment to very open, non-linear games. Morrowind is probably second to ADOM in my list of favourite RPGs (I haven't played Oblivion).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4809 days, 7 hours, 8 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 18:41 (GMT -5)

I got oblivion, decent game but while leveled creatures does mean you can do anything in any order, it makes everything practically the same and removes the fun from the game (such as becoming the arena grand champion is easiest when you are level one, and bandits will always be just as strong as when you first met them), great game with the right mods though. As for developers I'll say anyone but EA or Square/Enix.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/1/2007 at 18:50 (GMT -5) by Narcolepcy]
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5924 days, 6 hours, 2 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 19:42 (GMT -5)

I'd say anybody besides EA and 3D Realms.

EA will kill the game, or make sequels and ruin the series, beating it into the ground until it dies, and then keep beating it until nobody buys it (aka, The Sims).

3D Realms has been working on Duke Nukem Forever....and It is taking long enough! they don't need another game to slow down production.

but, as far as sugesting developers, I'd go for Valve. They would be quite open to help develop the game (fix some of the "skilled" series inta-crash bugs, and possibly make more dungeons, or just help Thomas with Jade).
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 07:48 (GMT -5)

To be fair, Sims 2 is a decent game on its own. Those bazillions of expansion packs are annoying, but you don't have to buy them ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 15:38 (GMT -5)

Hey you forgot to say which developers you'd want.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 19:25 (GMT -5)

The randomness that makes ADOM so enjoyable would make for a spectacular game if it were transported into 3D, but this adaptation would take tremendous development time to pull off correctly.

Actually, the game most similar to ADOM in recent times is Diablo 2, simply because of the randomness of many of its dungeons. Also, there is a certain focus on battling in ADOM; interactions with NPCs are kept rather simple.

JADE, as it is developed (or not) currently, sounds very promising. If it were made 3D, it would basically be like Morrowind, only with a lot more replayability, and honestly, a wet dream of mine.

I won't name any developers, as the current state of the game industry is very unfriendly to ADOM-like games. There are a lot of very good developers in their own right that would make ADOM 3D a really great game, but let's face it - it will always stay a dream.

That said, Blizzard. I don't think anyone does random dungeons like they do. Diablo 3 is probably the closest thing to ADOM we can expect in the hopefully nearer future.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/2/2007 at 19:26 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3602 days, 8 hours, 20 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 at 06:19 (GMT -5)

Blizzard. Unparalleled customer support and loyalty, + a history of awesome games, and almost all of their games are RPG's, so they know a thing or two about orcs :)

For the Horde!
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 at 19:05 (GMT -5)

I wonder if Thomas has talked to any of them already... I know in the Wikipedia site on the page about ADOM, it mentions World of Warcraft has an item called "Eternium Lockbox", sort of hinting that they got the idea from ADOM. Did Thomas make up the name for the metal eternium or something?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 at 19:27 (GMT -5)

Nah, I don't think TB invented it. After a quick search on Google I managed to find a page that contained the word Eternium and wasn't about WoW.

http://www.last.fm/music/Diablo/Eternium

It was released in the same year as TB started working on ADOM again, and chances are that the word is much older. Maybe it was invented by some fantasy writer?
For the Horde!
Nhgh
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 at 02:54 (GMT -5)

"...which developer would you want to collaborate with Thomas to do it?"

wouldnt that be like collaborating with a ghost?
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 at 09:12 (GMT -5)

Wikipedia says nothing about pre-ADOM use of eternium as a metal. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternium ) So maybe there was an ADOM fan among WoW developers? I don't live in World of W and I don't know if it has any accessible properties or history (ADOM's description of eternium as "bright, burnished titanium" is quite hard to find).

I think I've also seen a not very good game which included Eternium, but it meant something else (it was a potion which raised mana or something like that).
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 at 16:41 (GMT -5)

Blizzard is a great developer and im looking forward to the next starcraft, but i'd worry they'd sacrifice alot of the fun just to make adom apeal to the widest audience possible, much like wow (zing). Imagine a adom where you die and restart at your last checkpoint. What do you picture when you think of a commercialized adom anyway? I see a beatiful game with an oblivion like interface, except with actual content, depth some challenge to it. With the same locations, just in 3d glory, with as close to the same combat system as possible, while being real time.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 at 17:22 (GMT -5)

Can you imagine battling 500 3D monsters on todays most powerful video cards? Black Dragon's, Orb Guardians, Moloch's, Filk, Ki-rin's, vortices, Shaarad-Wador, Andy, etc...
My God, the possibilities are endless :)
For the Horde!
SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4748 days, 1 hour and 30 minutes ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 at 14:36 (GMT -5)

Blizzard Entertainment?

Okay. If you want to blow 4GB for the trial version of the game, put up with whiny newbies and arrogant elites, annoying instant-messenger-hybrid jargon, hours of patch and update downloads, money-draining expansion packs, and if you want to shell out $20 for a month's worth of online play (or whatever it is..all I know is that it's ridiculous), then go ahead.

Dunno. I guess I'm just not a WoW fan.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/7/2007 at 14:37 (GMT -5) by SirMason]
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 at 15:19 (GMT -5)

There are downsides to MMOs, surely. If ADOM became one, yes there could be a monthly fee, there could be time spent on downloading weekly patches, there could be expansions to buy.

Thing is, it's about the experience, the content, the gameplay. Exploration, combat, loot - the holy trinity! In full 3D glory, perhaps even in realtime as opposed to turn by turn as it currently is. Now that would be awesome, and more than worth some costs and time to experience all of it. And new content on a regular basis rather than every few years - WOOHOO! Like fixes and upgrades to some of the lame class powers or uberjackal issue, nonscum backups that could protect against crashes and power failures... even... MULTIPLAYER! We can dream, can't we? Someday, someday.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 at 20:38 (GMT -5)

It would have the inevitable flaw all online games have - other people. Everyone would be a wizard or a high elven archer. High powered players would grief the starters or claim all the loot. Wish engiones and gremlin bombing would be performed en masse. ADOM isn't a balanced game - you can get powerful stuff early on, and the classes are far from equal. This would likely all be changed for a multiplayer game, ruining much of the fun. Also things like artifacts wouldn't feel as individual and powerful as they do now. And trying to play with other people online is simply infuriating...

An online option to ADOM might be interesting, but above all else ADOM must remain centred around the single-player game.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 at 04:00 (GMT -5)

/\
I
I
Agree, there is already an online game like that, its called diablo 2.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/8/2007 at 04:03 (GMT -5) by Narcolepcy]
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 at 16:10 (GMT -5)

Darren, give Thomas and whatever company he would choose some credit. I imagine he is well aware of all the scumming and abuses people are doing with his baby, and has thought of ways to counter them, but simply lacks the time to do the programming it would take. This is his labor of love, for, how many, 15 years, more? And the whole time he single handedly created this awesome game he had college, work, a social life, family, romantic endeavors, playing other games, reading lots of books.

If ADOM went commercial, and Thomas could devote as much time as he wanted to the project, I'm sure it would be very well balanced and fun in whatever form it took, online multiplayer or otherwise.

I would never make the mistake of underestimating Thomas Biskup and his passion for video games.

Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 at 00:44 (GMT -5)

If your saying tom would be able to create a great mmo, please realise that is a totally different type of game. It's like saying that since ur good at geometry, u must be good at calculus, sure theyre both math, but they are very different.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 at 04:59 (GMT -5)

Modern computer games take huge staffs of programmers and designers to create. If ADOM went commercial I doubt Thomas would be that involved - he'd still prioritise his other commitments in life and let the company do as they will with the game (after all his original game would still exist, and he'd still be developing Jade by himself). A big games company would be unlikely to even let him have significant input, especially given his track record for providing updates to ADOM. It's analogous to the movie industry - they almost never let the original author of a book have much say over what goes on in the movie.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 17:31 (GMT -5)

Oh, so that's why most Stephen King movies suck so bad.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 20:51 (GMT -5)

Yup. There's the odd gem like Shawshank Redemption though...
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 13:47 (GMT -5)

The Shining was pretty cool too, I admit. If they ever remake "It" with a good cast, big budget, and modern technology, that could be a blockbuster.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: