Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / easiest win combo?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

gravel
Registered user
if i'm not ADOMing i'm working

Last page view:

5871 days, 19 hours, 47 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 at 20:27 (GMT -5)

what is your favourite class and race combo for winning and why?

I play a lot of random class/race combos and have lots of fun but dont always last long, i get to some of the temples but not much further.

so whats the best combo for a win and why?
The stone giant runs away in fear. Who ever heard of a stone being scared of gravel?
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3602 days, 9 hours, 1 minute and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 at 20:38 (GMT -5)

People say that wizards are the easiest. I won't say no, it's just that I get careless after lv. 15 or so and get myself killed. Priests work well for me, especially gnomish or human ones.
Elven archers are pretty neat, too.
For the Horde!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 7 hours, 21 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 at 08:28 (GMT -5)

I have to say, orcish barbarians are probably the easiest to survive the early game with, and get powerful enough to win the game.

Being able to cast spells makes the later parts a lot easier, though.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1444 days, 12 hours, 3 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 at 09:26 (GMT -5)

Assassins. Any race.
SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4748 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

I had great luck with a dwarvish priest. I think rangers are real good too...my last human ranger had so many wands it was ridiculous, and the only real spells he needed were darkness, light, and teleporation. Darkness works wonders on D:50... and the survival skill makes the early game a little less stressful.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
Portrait
Torn Gauntlet
Registered user
Ultima

Last page view:

5984 days, 8 hours, 18 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 11:45 (GMT -5)

Trollish Healers. Hands Down.
(Ultima eats you alive)
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3120 days, 2 hours, 8 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 12:32 (GMT -5)

Starvation and slow leveling is an issue.
Drakeling healers are better, after you find them a weapon better then a scalpel ;)
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Torn Gauntlet
Registered user
Ultima

Last page view:

5984 days, 8 hours, 18 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 12:47 (GMT -5)

not when you eat EVERYTHING.
slow leveling indeed.
(Ultima eats you alive)
SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4748 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 21:24 (GMT -5)

That's right, a troll healer born in the month of Candle ('almost cheating' indeed...), when set loose in the quickling tree, gets real quick real fast.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 6 hours, 39 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 09:02 (GMT -5)

And the next ghost he meets will kill him - eating quicklings reduces your lifespan doesn't it? Drakelings have so many advantages over trolls (better spellcasting and mana regen being a very important factor), and with acid spit are also better for eating lots of stat corpses.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4601 days, 20 hours, 44 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 13:42 (GMT -5)

Drakeling healers can croak fast in the early game if you aren't careful. At least the troll gets that 1d10 club whereas other healers are stuck with that scalpel. Athletics, gemology and mining don't hurt either. Same with 30+ starting Str And To.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 1 hour, 33 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 11:21 (GMT -5)

Early game, schmearly game. You will find an orcish spear from a scorcher in 10 minutes TOPS if you go to the ID and go up and down the stairs.

Athletics, gemology and mining are nice skills, but the three times slower leveling is just too big of a disadvantage. Trolls suck.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

Plus acid spit helps in a pinch and you still start with quite nice To. Alertness can be handy too.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4152 days, 11 hours, 55 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 14:01 (GMT -5)

it is not that easy question:
my favourite class race -- human assassin, female red hairs green eyes:), just because i like it.

as overall easiest goes:
i do remember going through some thinking then i stopped save scumming(years ago):
first of all it depends on your playing style. I like bash monsters and backup with some spells if things get wrong. On other hand some guys think weapon slot is for spear just to rise DV while they blast enemies away with magic...
Experience also plays a role. Mindcrafters are nice class, if you know that you are planing to do.

Easy what? From start to win? From some fixing of drawbacks into a win?
Lots of combos needs something - hurtlings need some work on strength, elves on toughness, healers need source of spellbooks (one store and they start going very easy)...

So for me (more fighting type do not minding some work on char and not liking restarts):
Race slection:
I want something with bones to start and max age bonus. Preferably both better than human:
that leaves drakes, dwarfs and hurtlings.
i do believe easiest to start and go there it goes are dwarfs (toughness +nice equipment, even lousy merchant starts with chainmail).
With some work on strength hurtlings can beat dwarfs (starting bonus on thrown rocks, archery, food preservation, good shop prices, good dx to start, lowered exp, extra talent).
drakes... just not mine kind. I had too much problems with big out of deapth generated white dragons catching me without means of escape:(

class selection -- very tough and depending on play style.
for my style (hurthling as race)i wanna find weakness and concentration. Preferably with herbalism(simply if i feel big need I will pick healing chaotic way. Fast and mindless.). Necros don't really fit bill due too needing double marks. So i'm left with healer:) My view of this class is very simple. They need book shop. Earlier better.
So if i take of herbalism i could take weaponsmith, that would mean more farming less smithing time, fixed strength. Sounds good.
And if i take away find weakness, i'd take mindcrafter. Slower in melee, problems in normal spellcasting, but... melee fifghter with endless memory of stun ray, sign me in... another day.
So my pick - hurthling weaponsmith.

if i would need recomend something for a new player that would be read guy and take spellcasting dwarf:) wizard/priest/paladin.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user
another gray elven wizard

Last page view:

5438 days, 1 hour, 49 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 16:29 (GMT -5)

I gotta go with elf wizards. With all the various means of stat training you can find, their deficiencies can pretty easily be reversed by lvl 20 or so. By then you're decently powerful in melee, pretty good with a missile weapon, and have the best spell selection and power points available in the game. It doesn't get any better than that.
You pick up the worn boots.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4959 days, 14 hours, 9 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 at 06:59 (GMT -5)

Well if you manage to survive long enough to find some morgia, I agree with GiantFrog - elven wizards zap ass.

It can be quite a big if though. I have had wizards who waltzed through the terinyo quests, failed to find herbs in the UD, and got all way to below the arena before then being killed by stone blocks. Which can be pretty damn frustrating.

They still zap ass though.
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5359 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at 14:13 (GMT -5)

My favourite is either mindcrafter or archer. The first time you get into a (non undead)greater vault with a 50 lvl mindcrafter you'll know why.
It's either human or drakeling.
i usually play women, because of the frog quest. it's just nice to have lots of attributes even if they were useless.
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5055 days, 3 hours, 22 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 02:24 (GMT -5)

I have to agree with Soirana here and go with Assassins. I LOVE Dark Elven ones, they're just so..........atmospheric! Also love the usual things, Elven Archers and Wizards, Drakeling Beastfighters and Dwarven Priests.

I'd love to get far with a weaponsmith, but they always seem to die on me early stage :'(

And hey Darren! nice to see you again mate! I'll catch ya on MSN sometime soon!
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5359 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 at 16:21 (GMT -5)

I've managed to beat the game with a drakish and a human archer. They suck at start, but at very early their missile using gets incredible. I've managed to make strong enough archer to kill eternal guardian with normal arrows! But for all around kickass killing machine, nothing beats a mindcrafter. They might be the weakest at the beginning, but after mid game they get ridiculously powerful. It is the only class that does not need to use spells or missiles.

The latest archer, that would definetly have made it, had something like 230 base speed and missile took 330 energy. Normal speed enemies faced 7-11 arrows before they could have moved(though they rarely did). She died of adom crashing );

Also orcish/drakish rangers are very good. They start with athletics, herbalism, archery and healing. Plus that they rock with 2 weapons and since the most powerful melee char is made with dual wielding daggers, rangers kinda stand out. Rangers actually rock throughout the game.

EDIT: answer to the question: Archers at the moment, they are a lot easier to play at the beginning than mindcrafters, though they never get *that* powerful, but they are a close second.
And of course drakelings, they are hands down, the best race in adom. Great for anything.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/22/2007 at 16:36 (GMT -5) by Jhonka]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 08:54 (GMT -5)

Drakish archers have sucky starting equipment. High or dark elven archers get just as powerful ;)
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4601 days, 20 hours, 44 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 04:09 (GMT -5)

I think Rangers (my favorite class) have the best starting skillset, and some races get good starting armor + weapons.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 07:44 (GMT -5)

Dark elven rangers have probably the best skillset of all classes. However keeping them alive is quite difficult in the early game, and I personally think that rangers don't have anything particularly special overall in the late game that makes them stand out from other classes (dual wielding being quite a minor thing).
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 08:03 (GMT -5)

Dark elven rangers don't have Gemology :)

A gnomish monk is probably closer to the best skillset, considering he can do the Keethrax quest to get Herbalism.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

Then you're missing out on Archery and Alertness, plus Athletics is nice to have in the early game (and its +10 speed at 100 is handy too). Gemology is nice, I'll admit, though what monks more advantage from is Concentration.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

4071 days, 7 hours, 21 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 12:50 (GMT -5)

What are you talking about? Monks have both Athletics and Alertness. You're right about the Archery, though.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: