Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / questions about questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

gravel
Registered user
if i'm not ADOMing i'm working

Last page view:

5871 days, 21 hours, 37 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 at 02:39 (GMT -5)

when creating a new character.

how important is it to go through the questions rather than doing random like i always do.

do you think it makes a big difference overall or only a big difference for the first few levels or so or no real difference at all?
The stone giant runs away in fear. Who ever heard of a stone being scared of gravel?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 9 hours, 12 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 at 05:38 (GMT -5)

If you learn the effects of the answers by heart or bother to check out the guidebook for every question, then you can maximize some scores while neglecting some useless ones (like Appearance or Charisma), giving you a head start.

It can be helpful for a wizard, who have a very hard time if the start with Learning just above ten, but are practically assured success if their Learning is higher than 20.

So yeah, it can help.

But to be honest, it's not worth the hassle for me. If I get a character with sucky stats, I either try to get him through anyway or let him exit the Chain.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 8 hours, 29 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 at 14:34 (GMT -5)

It can help, but it can just as easily be a waste of time when your character dies to a stone block trap in the first dungeon. There's a lot of other factors involved than the random questions, and overall it doesn't make enough of a difference to be worth doing every game.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 3 hours, 24 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 at 17:32 (GMT -5)

They can help, but your starting stats also depend on luck. You might get "seriously ill youth and tortured by your parents and horrible apprentice years under a cruel master" -starting history and all the answered questions in the world wouldn't help. If you don't know which answer gives what and want good stats really bad, it might just be faster to keep rerolling chars wihtout answering the questions until you're satisfied with the stats.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 9 hours, 12 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 at 17:43 (GMT -5)

Also, remember that "horrible" stats lead to easy level-ups because less XP is needed.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5924 days, 8 hours, 33 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 at 21:41 (GMT -5)

yea, nothing like your level 1 gnome wizard being level 5 after emptying out a goblin/kobold tension room.
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: